Page 1 of 2 1 ... LastLast
    Apprentice
    PSN ID
    nordost

Bf4 next vs current gen

Looks like a good jump in graphical fidelity to me.

http://www.ign.com/videos/2013/11/01...vs-current-gen

Forum Elder
    PSN ID
    Abdou023
    And this is why it's not wirth getting next-gen consoles at launch.

PSN: Abdou023
    Currently Playing: GTA 5

3. Likes John25 likes this post
    Apprentice
    PSN ID
    nordost
    I disagree. I'm ready to start playing better looking games now. I don't want to wait.

PSU Live Streamer
    PSN ID
    xShadow__WoIf | YoungMullah88
    Items User name style
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Quote Originally Posted by on the rocks View Post
    I disagree. I'm ready to start playing better looking games now. I don't want to wait.
    Cosign

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk

Forum Elder
    PSN ID
    LordVenger
    Items User name style
    Two things occurred to me watching that.

1) Hopefully once they stop making games for both current and next gen platforms we'll start seeing some genuine advantages to the next generation platforms. In other words I hope BF4 isn't representative of the next generation. Because the majority of that video shows very little real significant change. The particle effects for smoke and explosions, the birds, some texture detail like the cracked paint and water drops where better, but the majority of the video is pretty damned close. Close enough to not feel like an entirely new generation.

2) I really hope that as developers get better at using the new hardware things will begin to take off. I don't know what I was expecting with a new generation, I knew it wouldn't be the kind of jumps we saw from PS1 to PS2 and from PS2 to PS3, but I want more than a 10-20% improvement. Hopefully once we get dedicated games we'll start seeing how draw distances, physics, AI, density of objects in the field of view, and the like will make a difference.

I doubt any developer trying to feature match a game across 6 or 7 (PS3, PS4, PS Vita?, WiiU, Xbox 360, Xbox One, PC) platforms is really going to max any platform out. The sooner the PS3, 360 and WiiU fade out the better. But I suspect the third party developers are going to cling to the current gen for a long time, despite all their claims of waiting a new platform now. There's to much money to be made. Personally I'd prefer to see all the platforms get different games, that use their strengths to create unique game play experiences, but I really don't see it happening.

Racing Game Fanatic
    PSN ID
    gold106gti
    Items Title StyleVitaPS3 Slim
    The first next gen graphics are always going to be a little bit rusty, the developers would have not had enough time with next gen consoles yet in order to make the graphics look superior. Last gen graphics where not as good as they where now when the consoles where first released, I think in the middle of next year we shall really start seeing games that look almost photo real!
    PSN ID: gold106gti

Twitter ID: Duffman1986

My New Youtube Gaming Channel: Duffman Gaming

Superior Member
    PSN ID
    JDizzleNO1
    Items Diablo IIIMetallicaUser name styleDark Souls CoverDemons Souls CoverPS3 Fat
    just look at infamous second son or killzone shadow fall, those are a leap above current gen

Forum Overseer
    Quote Originally Posted by Venger View Post
    1) Hopefully once they stop making games for both current and next gen platforms we'll start seeing some genuine advantages to the next generation platforms. In other words I hope BF4 isn't representative of the next generation.
    i promise you it isn't.
    2) I really hope that as developers get better at using the new hardware things will begin to take off. I don't know what I was expecting with a new generation, I knew it wouldn't be the kind of jumps we saw from PS1 to PS2 and from PS2 to PS3, but I want more than a 10-20% improvement. Hopefully once we get dedicated games we'll start seeing how draw distances, physics, AI, density of objects in the field of view, and the like will make a difference.
    we will and I'm willing to bet that the jump will soon be bigger than any other generation. that is because they decided to choose an architecture that is easy to master and already has decades of experience available. especially on the PS4.

Superior Member

PSN ID
    martin_blank
    If you want showoff new generation titles early, buy the new console's exclusives. The games that have only been in development for the next generation. Killzone SF, and Knack on PS4. Ryse and Dead Rising 3 for XOne. I'm holding out on cross-generation games until PS4 and XOne launch, but only because it's just two and three weeks, respectively. Not months. And I'll get some enhanced features and I won't have to swap back and forth between consoles. I'm certainly willing to swap back and forth for titles with no new generation versions. Batman Arkham Origins, for example, back to the PS3. I'd already be playing it but it's my older son's top Christmas wish, so we've already got it but it's hidden away until Christmas. For me, it doesn't make sense to buy last generation versions of games available for current generation hardware when the price is the same and it's available for the new generation. As for buying both next-gen consoles at launch, I preordered back in June. If I had to scramble around all over town hoping I'll trip over the odd unsold launch console, I wouldn't do it. But preordering both was a conscious decision, to get the big hardware purchases long out of the way before there's a new must-have game releasing every other week. I certainly could have waited to play KZ SF and Knack and Ryse and DR3, but I won't have to. I wouldn't have stood in line to play those games soon instead of later but I don't have to wait in line, so I'll enjoy the opportunity to settle in with the new consoles right early.

But, no, besides the questionable merits of bragging rights, and merely for personal enjoyment of something new, there's no good argument for buying the next generation of consoles at launch. Even buying a few months after launch, when most all those launch window games slip to the second quarter 2014 or to the end of the year, there's a lot of dead air playing your previous generation console waiting for something interesting to finally ship for your next-gen systems.

One benefit buying early, you get a whole lot out of games you do have for the next generation. I got untold hours, miniature lifetimes, out of Ridge Racer 7 on PS3.
    Last edited by sanfordmay; 11-02-2013 at 15:19.

Superior Member
    PSN ID
    thanatos144
    The gen jumps are never that great since ps1 to ps2 it always takes a bit.

Superior Member
    PSN ID
    Libra-75
    It's hard to tell from that video how much of a difference there's going to be between current gen and next gen. I see a clear difference in sharpness of the picture in general, but also the textures looks more high rez on next gen. It seems like there's more details and effects (particles and such) in the next gen versions too. The footage I've seen recently from the PS4 version of this game seems to look even better then this. But I might be wrong. Anyhow, I'm pretty hyped about the PS4 version, can't wait to play it.

Dedicated Member
    PSN ID
    Kamikaze_Krunch
    Items User name style
    My problem with this current gen of consoles wasn't so much the graphics as it was the performance issues. Now that those performance issues have shrunk dramatically on the next set of consoles. I'm a happy camper.

Superior Member
    The Frostbite Engine is really remarkable. Serious kudos to the BF devs for being able to make such a good looking game and such a well optimized engine across so many platforms. I'm getting surprisingly good performance, even on my old GTX 580 with literally all Ultra settings, 1080p, 4xMSAA, High FXAA, and HBAO, I'm sticking between 45 and 60 fps; and the game looks absolutely incredible at those settings.
    i7 4770 | 2x EVGA GTX 780 ti SC ACX SLI | 32GB
    i7 3770 | EVGA SC GTX 580 3GB​ | 16GB

Forum Sage
    PSN ID
    iwinulose042
    Items Final Fantasy XIII-2Final Fantasy XIIIFull Metal AlchemistDragon Ball ZNarutoDeath NoteNaughty DogLightningNoctisAssassins Creed EzioPS3 Slim
    Quote Originally Posted by sneezymarble View Post
    The Frostbite Engine is really remarkable. Serious kudos to the BF devs for being able to make such a good looking game and such a well optimized engine across so many platforms. I'm getting surprisingly good performance, even on my old GTX 580 with literally all Ultra settings, 1080p, 4xMSAA, High FXAA, and HBAO, I'm sticking between 45 and 60 fps; and the game looks absolutely incredible at those settings.
    hmm, GTX580 is like 1.58TF right? ps4 is 1.84TF so it should be easily able to manage all that yet it only gets FXAA and 900p. I'm guessing it was just too little time for them to learn the ins and outs of the machine

Superior Member
    Items Guerrilla GamesVitaJoker (limited ICON)
    Compressed youtube videos are not the way to compare graphics.

You can barely tell the difference.

IGN and other sites just do these comparison to get more clicks.

Superior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Itachi View Post
    hmm, GTX580 is like 1.58TF right? ps4 is 1.84TF so it should be easily able to manage all that yet it only gets FXAA and 900p. I'm guessing it was just too little time for them to learn the ins and outs of the machine
    Hmmmm, My 580 is OC'd to 940MHz from the base of 772MHz, and that probably puts my TFlop performance right in line, or slightly over, what the PS4 GPU is capable of. Given that, and the similarity of the PS4s hardware to PC hardware, yeah, it is surprising it's not running at 1080p.

Kinda makes me want to do some testing. For example, I'm curious to know what my 580 does with no MSAA. If it holds 60fps with no MSAA at an OC that puts it right in line with PS4, then what's keeping the PS4 from hitting that? Sure, it's a knew system, but it's more familiar hardware with, presumably, a much more game friendly OS in the background.

I wonder if it's the CPU? In terms of testing, it'd be interesting to see what effect downclocking my CPU has on performance.

PSN ID
    nervegas_ds
    most AAA titles take 3 or 4 years to develop from the ground up. that didn't happen with battlefield 4 and cod ghost. they were made with existing engines. and the ps4 and xbox one have been under development for the last 4 years (or longer). even at e3 the xbox one wasn't even running the games, they were on pc.

so your not going to see the best the new systems have to offer at launch, not even from the exclusives. it's going to take some time.

Ultimate Veteran
    Next gen looks soo much better,plus its hard to tell from a small video , next gen will look awesome on my 50 inch plasma panny
    All dialed in

Forum Overseer
    Hmmmm, My 580 is OC'd to 940MHz from the base of 772MHz, and that probably puts my TFlop performance right in line, or slightly over, what the PS4 GPU is capable of. Given that, and the similarity of the PS4s hardware to PC hardware, yeah, it is surprising it's not running at 1080p.

Kinda makes me want to do some testing. For example, I'm curious to know what my 580 does with no MSAA. If it holds 60fps with no MSAA at an OC that puts it right in line with PS4, then what's keeping the PS4 from hitting that? Sure, it's a knew system, but it's more familiar hardware with, presumably, a much more game friendly OS in the background.

I wonder if it's the CPU? In terms of testing, it'd be interesting to see what effect downclocking my CPU has on performance.
    once they make a true next-gen BF game, x1/ps4 should be able to hit 1080p. whether it will be 60fps? i would be surprised.

Superior Member
    So, on my 580, even with my OC dialed back, I'm pretty consistently getting over 60fps at 1080p, with all Ultra settings, HBAO, High postAA, and no MSAA. I haven't played multiplayer yet, so maybe that's a different story.

I get that one of the whole ideas behind consoles is to keep people from having to mess around with settings, but it'd be cool if there was an option on the PS4 to run the game at 900p at 60fps, or 1080p and 30fps. There's a distracting amount of fuzziness and aliasing to upscaled images.
    Last edited by sneezymarble; 11-03-2013 at 14:33.

Superior Member
    So, on my 580, even with my OC dialed back, I'm pretty consistently getting over 60fps at 1080p, with all Ultra settings, HBAO, High postAA, and no MSAA. I haven't played multiplayer yet, so maybe that's a different story.

I get that one of the whole ideas behind consoles is to keep people from having to mess around with settings, but it'd be cool if there was an option on the PS4 to run the game at 900p at 60fps, or 1080p and 30fps. There's a distracting amount of fuzziness and aliasing to upscaled images.
    Your i7/Titan rig will do great but that Q6600 is going to cry in multiplayer.

Forum Overseer

if they gave us two options, then you're looking at more work, which is what they don't want to do. also it would mean less optimization.

PSU Live Streamer
    PSN ID
    xShadow__WoIf | YoungMullah88
    Items User name style
    There's an option on the ps3 to turn of AA I think to reduce latency for mp. I turned that $#@! off but then the game chugs like crazy when performing a knife kill

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk

Forum Sage
    PSN ID
    iwinulose042
    Items Final Fantasy XIII-2Final Fantasy XIIIFull Metal AlchemistDragon Ball ZNarutoDeath NoteNaughty DogLightningNoctisAssassins Creed EzioPS3 Slim

60fps is basically locked in singleplayer BF4 on both next gen consoles. I think its DICE's time and resources spread to thin over 4 versions of the game that holds it back from native 1080p60 on ps4. Ofcourse CPU bottleneck is something to consider but even then 50% less pixels seem too high even for that

Superior Member
    PSN ID
    Carla_Birch-USA
    Quote Originally Posted by Abdou23 View Post
    And this is why it's not wirth getting next-gen consoles at launch.
    It's not just about looks you know, 24 (This Gen) Vs 64 (Next Gen) Players online............

Thread Information