Page 1 of 2 1 ... LastLast
    PSN ID
    Frazzle_B

Advice on a PS4 Gaming Headset?

As my hype for the PS4 builds up by the day, I've been wanting to get a new headset to replace my Turtle Beach x12's that I use for my 360 (which I will be selling in a few weeks). Im looking at the PX22 Headset which seems to be good for its price and I am willing to spend up to around 80 for a new headset, so my question to you guys is what headsets could you guys recommend for me? I know 80 is not alot to spend but im on a budget at the moment, thanks

Veteran
    Items Battlefield 3Assassins Creed EzioCoD: World at War
    I'm still confused with what is compatible and what isn't when it comes to turtle beach headsets after reading various reports.

I have the XP500's but don't think they're compatible with PS4 so I too will be on the lookout for another set.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ultimate Veteran
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    the ps4 comes with a head set use that one until u find the right one

4. Likes thanatos144 likes this post
    Superior Member
    PSN ID
    TEST SUBJECT 83
    Any analog headset will work, the thing that we have to wait for is USB and Bluetooth support.
    Any headset that relies on Bluetooth or USB will need the proper patch.
    But ANY headset that just has a 3.5mm jack on the end then your fine.
    Someone correct me if I'm wrong but there's no reason for regular headset to not work.

Until the patch I think I might use my 360 headset with a 2.5 to 3.5mm adaptor.
    It should work. Not that it's any better quality than what Sony is packing in with the console, but is absolutely hate those type of earbuds. There the hard plastic kind, instead of the soft rubber buds that fit to the shape of your ear.
    I can't for the life of me get the hard ones to stay in my ear.
    Last edited by TEST SUBJECT 83; 11-02-2013 at 19:04.

am i gonna be able to add movies and music files to ps4 when i get it on release? I have an external drive that i would use

Master Guru
    Items FuturamaGoogle ChromeAmerican DadHalf-Life 2Battlefield 3User name style
    Quote Originally Posted by ThaDon187 View Post
    am i gonna be able to add movies and music files to ps4 when i get it on release? I have an external drive that i would use
    Nope. Mp3 and mp4 (I believe) are not supported.... but are likely to be patched in at some point, already being talked about at Sony.
    External HDD's aren't supported either, and it's unknown whether they will be added.

On topic: I consider 80 on a headset a lot to spend.....

Don't Steal. Don't Molest Little Children. Don't Deal Drugs.

Quote Originally Posted by darky89 View Post
    Nope. Mp3 and mp4 (I believe) are not supported.... but are likely to be patched in at some point, already being talked about at Sony.
    External HDD's aren't supported either, and it's unknown whether they will be added.

On topic: I consider 80 on a headset a lot to spend.....

what about usb stick?

Master Guru
    Items FuturamaGoogle ChromeAmerican DadHalf-Life 2Battlefield 3User name style
    Assuming they add support for mp3/mp4 that should work fine.

Don't Steal. Don't Molest Little Children. Don't Deal Drugs.

Elite Guru
    PSN ID
    TAZ427
    Quote Originally Posted by ThaDon187 View Post
    what about usb stick?
    USB Flash drives will be supported. In the FAQ they did say you could update the OS via USB Flash drive. I'd assume game saves and other such features would still be supported via a USB flash drive.

Elite Guru
    PSN ID
    TAZ427
    Quote Originally Posted by FrazzleB View Post
    As my hype for the PS4 builds up by the day, I've been wanting to get a new headset to replace my Turtle Beach x12's that I use for my 360 (which I will be selling in a few weeks). Im looking at the PX22 Headset which seems to be good for its price and I am willing to spend up to around 80 for a new headset, so my question to you guys is what headsets could you guys recommend for me? I know 80 is not alot to spend but im on a budget at the moment, thanks
    Not much available at the price range for a full game audio + chat which I assume is what you're after. If you can wait and save up you're money. I'd wait for the Turtle Beach PX4.

If you got a good stereo headset from a smartphone that would be good for either Stereo audio or Voice Chat.

Another option would be the Playstation 3 Pulse once it's fully supported via a patch. It's more in the price range you're after and it's supposed to be a good headset.

I'm considering getting a PX4 myself.

I got one of these ..

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Turtle-Beach.../dp/B003O0KICS

coupled with X12's for my 360. Im assuming that as it uses optical for sound and only uses USB for power it should work ok with the PS4

With turtle beach I think a lot of the headsets will work, the majority of them seem to have a 2.5mm output for Xbox 360. It seems like that should work with a 2.5mm to 3.5mm adapter, and it has been hinted at some places. The only question for me is the type of plug, it appears the DS4 has a TRRS jack on it, three conductor and three rings on the plug. So my assumption is that you'll need a TRRS 2.5mm and 3.5mm which seems difficult to find on both ends. Best I've been able to find is a 2.5mm TRRS male to 3.5mm female and then a 3.5mm TRRS male to male. Main point here being that the OPs current headset may work, just no official confirmation yet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PSN ID
    Frazzle_B
    Quote Originally Posted by TAZ427 View Post
    Not much available at the price range for a full game audio + chat which I assume is what you're after. If you can wait and save up you're money. I'd wait for the Turtle Beach PX4.

If you got a good stereo headset from a smartphone that would be good for either Stereo audio or Voice Chat.

Another option would be the Playstation 3 Pulse once it's fully supported via a patch. It's more in the price range you're after and it's supposed to be a good headset.

I'm considering getting a PX4 myself.
    Funnily enough I was actually looking around for headsets and seen the PX4, although its well over 80 I might buy them after they have been out for a while and the price comes down a little, they look like true next gen headphones to me!

Superior Member
    PSN ID
    Dude-in-the-Room
    Items Led ZeppelinDreamcastDead NationArnold SchwarzneggerUser name style
    I would wait until launch and slightly after to find out what exactly works. It's kinda funny that Turtle Beach only can make expensive headsets work with the PS4.

There are a few others that are supposedly able to work with it....I'll probably get the cheaper Prime headset from Dreamsomething.

Elite Guru
    PSN ID
    TAZ427
    Quote Originally Posted by Locomotive View Post
    I would wait until launch and slightly after to find out what exactly works. It's kinda funny that Turtle Beach only can make expensive headsets work with the PS4.

There are a few others that are supposedly able to work with it....I'll probably get the cheaper Prime headset from Dreamsomething.
    That wouldn't be a bad idea if you can wait. I expect Sony to announce a headset that plugs into the EXT port on the DS4 (to the left of the 3.5mm jack) sometime after launch. Though Sony won't confirm or deny this at this point. As it's been pointed out it can be used to charge the device, but that is only a side benefit of having power and ground to the port, it and there's no reason to have made it a proprietary plug (which I can confirm that it is now that my 2nd DS4 has been delivered) or that it has 8 pins. The most logical feature would be for a surround sound / chat headphone.

I just hope that Sony does support this, and not only for themselves but for 3rd party vendors such as Turtle Beach.

20131102_190816_2.jpg
    Last edited by TAZ427; 11-03-2013 at 01:14.

Dedicated Member
    Items User name style
    I've been used to mobilephone blutooth headset gaming this gen so im going to make an emergency purchase of a pair of these to use through my DS4 controller.

using this adapter to convert from a pc headset to "smartphone". Infact you can use this method to convert ANY analogue PC headset to work with a DS4 and PS4.
    Last edited by victorijapoosp; 11-03-2013 at 02:14.
    You can't be serious with the 30 megabyte signature... ~ Staff

Maths is biased! It keeps telling me the PS4 is 50% more powerful than XboxOne!
    Great song, should have more views :'(

SHIMAASAAAANIIII!!!!!
    http://i.imgur.com/bP50xuM.png

Elite Guru
    PSN ID
    TAZ427
    Quote Originally Posted by victorijapoosp View Post
    I've been used to mobilephone blutooth headset gaming this gen so im going to make an emergency purchase of a pair of these to use through my DS4 controller.

using this adapter to convert from a pc headset to "smartphone". Infact you can use this method to convert ANY analogue PC headset to work with a DS4 and PS4.
    You shouldn't need this adapter for typical stereo PC headset (3 conductor TRS connectors) to work with DS4 nor with the Sandberg Street Blaster. It will also work with 4 conductor TRRS connectors as well - which is what is shipped with the PS4.

Apprentice
    PSN ID
    chriharr
    I'm just gonna use my BOSE QC 15 headphones with the PS4, it has a built in mic and three connector 3.5mm jack, so I get the benefits of a noise cancelling stereo headset.

Can pretty much use your iPhone headset/earphones with PS4... Same connector
    " A Toll's a toll and a roll's a roll. If we don't get no toll's, then we don't eat no roll's"

Superior Member

PSN ID
    martin_blank
    Quote Originally Posted by chriharr View Post
    I'm just gonna use my BOSE QC 15 headphones with the PS4, it has a built in mic and three connector 3.5mm jack, so I get the benefits of a noise cancelling stereo headset.

That's the idea I get, too. That any type of iPhone-compatible headset with mic will work for game audio + chat via the controller connector. Though you may have to set the PS4 for chat to mix with the main audio in order to hear what people are saying. Not that I've used a chat headset with any game console since I regularly played Gears of War and Rainbow Six with a small group a long time ago. I really, really don't want to hear what anyone has to say while I'm playing Call of Duty.

21. Likes chriharr likes this post
    Apprentice
    PSN ID
    chriharr
    wired headsets will become the norm once again thank god... heaps of people will still want to use their turtlebeach and other blutooth headsets but they'll trade up sooner or later when they realise the direct controller method is the better/cheaper option.

That wouldn't be a bad idea if you can wait. I expect Sony to announce a headset that plugs into the EXT port on the DS4 (to the left of the 3.5mm jack) sometime after launch. Though Sony won't confirm or deny this at this point. As it's been pointed out it can be used to charge the device, but that is only a side benefit of having power and ground to the port, it and there's no reason to have made it a proprietary plug (which I can confirm that it is now that my 2nd DS4 has been delivered) or that it has 8 pins. The most logical feature would be for a surround sound / chat headphone.

I just hope that Sony does support this, and not only for themselves but for 3rd party vendors such as Turtle Beach.

20131102_190816_2.jpg
    There would be no need to do anything with the EXT connector when the 3.5mm jack does everything already.. the EXT port wouldn't add anything other than a proprietary headset product that could only be used on PS4... the whole point of the 3.5mm jack is so people can use the basic headset that comes with the PS4 or use your iPhone chat headsets or generic 3.5mm headsets.... the PS Vita does it all through a single 3.5mm jack the PS4 controller is exactly the same.
    Last edited by chriharr; 11-03-2013 at 13:17.
    " A Toll's a toll and a roll's a roll. If we don't get no toll's, then we don't eat no roll's"

23. Likes sanfordmay likes this post
    Superior Member
    PSN ID
    Sryche
    Items Guerrilla Gamesid Software
    just save up for a pair Astro A40's...you won't regret it....I just made the switch from the Turtle Beach PX5's to the Astro A40's and am very happy with the switch. The PX5's were great because they were wireless, but with such uncertainty about when third party bluetooth headsets will be fully patched, the A40's seemed like a safe bet as an alternative.

"Don't Be Surprised If You Mind When You Find Me." ~ Life of Agony

Superior Member
    PSN ID
    thanatos144
    I dont understand.... The PS4 comes with a headset with a microphone....Why wouldnt you wait till there is a patch for higher quality headphones or till they are cheaper?

Dedicated Member
    Items User name style
    You shouldn't need this adapter for typical stereo PC headset (3 conductor TRS connectors) to work with DS4 nor with the Sandberg Street Blaster. It will also work with 4 conductor TRRS connectors as well - which is what is shipped with the PS4.
    of course, only necessary with the pc headsets that have a split speaker and mic plugs.
    You can't be serious with the 30 megabyte signature... ~ Staff

Maths is biased! It keeps telling me the PS4 is 50% more powerful than XboxOne!
    Great song, should have more views :'(

SHIMAASAAAANIIII!!!!!
    http://i.imgur.com/bP50xuM.png

Elite Guru
    PSN ID
    TAZ427

There would be no need to do anything with the EXT connector when the 3.5mm jack does everything already.. the EXT port wouldn't add anything other than a proprietary headset product that could only be used on PS4... the whole point of the 3.5mm jack is so people can use the basic headset that comes with the PS4 or use your iPhone chat headsets or generic 3.5mm headsets.... the PS Vita does it all through a single 3.5mm jack the PS4 controller is exactly the same.
    My understanding is that it's either voice chat or game audio but not both through the 3.5mm jack. The Ultimate FAQ says voice chat or all audio, but it's not fully clear what they meant by all audio, especially when they had multiple times before stated it as Voice Chat or Stereo Audio.

I'm still under the assumption that it's voice chat or only stereo audio w/o voice chat. I hope I'm wrong. If I am, this is great IMHO.

That said, it's still not going to give a surround sound immersion of a 7.1 w/ voice chat and that still leaves the EXT jack open for this. And I'd still pay for that. I sometimes play late when my family is asleep and I want to here when something is creeping up behind me in game, but I can't have my audio up loud.

Superior Member

PSN ID
    martin_blank
    Quote Originally Posted by thanatos144 View Post
    I dont understand.... The PS4 comes with a headset with a microphone....Why wouldnt you wait till there is a patch for higher quality headphones or till they are cheaper?
    I think the thing is you really don't need to wait if you want higher quality headphones. You can just buy higher quality headphones that have an inline mic, and lots of those are available these days due to smartphones. (The call/voice command/play+pause/volume buttons may only work on specific phones but the mics are a standard configuration works on anything that accepts a mic'd headset with the correct connector size.) Sony doesn't want to run off the PS4 peripheral manufacturers so they're not making to big a deal of it, but you can get quality headphones that work with PS4 right now. You may even already have them if you're a music buff with a smartphone. And 5.1 and 7.1 via via headphones with built-in or external surround amps. Those aren't really multichannel. They're simulated multichannel. I have an Astro A40 set with a 5.1 MixAmp and it's a lovely piece of gaming audio hardware but with game audio now provided by the console manufacturers via the controllers, it's not really necessary to get good audio off the console via headset. Unless the controller game audio on either console is just miserable. But if it's as good as the WiiU game audio via gamepad, it'll be fine.

Thread Information