Page 1 of 2 1 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 33

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Master Guru
    ONQ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    6,107
    Rep Power
    87
    Points
    40,744 (0 Banked)

    PlayStation4 Main Processor = a custom AMD x86-64 CPU & Next-Generation Radeon GPU

    New PS4 Hardware Features video from SONY reveals that the PS4 Main Processor will be made up of a custom AMD x86-64 CPU & Next-Generation Radeon GPU.


    You might be thinking no big deal we already knew what CPU & GPU is inside of the PS4 but that's not the case because before the CPU was thought to be made up of plain AMD Jaguar Cores but the new video reveals that the CPU is custom & the GPU is said to be a Next-Generation Radeon GPU, this could mean that it's from AMD next family of GPU's featuring GCN 2.0 much like what's rumored to be part of Kaveri APU's.






    Attached Images
    Last edited by ONQ; 11-03-2013 at 00:27.

  2. #2
    Dedicated Member
    John Willaford's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Owings Mills, MD
    Age
    39
    Posts
    1,071
    Rep Power
    18
    Points
    408,039 (0 Banked)
    Nope, pretty much had all of this pegged a while back.

  3. #3
    Master Guru
    ONQ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    6,107
    Rep Power
    87
    Points
    40,744 (0 Banked)
    Quote Originally Posted by John Willaford View Post
    Nope, pretty much had all of this pegged a while back.
    So tell me what was the customization made to the Jaguar Cores then? & What GPU is in the PS4?

  4. #4
    Power Member
    mynd's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Down Under
    Age
    41
    Posts
    17,444
    Rep Power
    161
    Points
    157,276 (0 Banked)
    Items User name style
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Quote Originally Posted by ONQ View Post
    So tell me what was the customization made to the Jaguar Cores then? & What GPU is in the PS4?
    They made it 8 cores instead of 4?
    That would be my guess.

    Quote Originally Posted by ONQ View Post
    When has Sony said that the CPU was custom? as far as I can remember people thought it was 8 plain Jaguar cores & they never said that the GPU was from the next generation family of Radeon GPU's. VGLeaks said it was based on Southern Islands architecture & Sony specs on the website just say that it's AMD Radeon™ Graphics Core Next engine.
    There is no such thing a 8 plain Jaguar cores.
    Last edited by mynd; 11-03-2013 at 03:57.

  5. #5
    Master Guru
    ONQ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    6,107
    Rep Power
    87
    Points
    40,744 (0 Banked)
    Quote Originally Posted by mynd View Post
    They made it 8 cores instead of 4?
    That would be my guess.



    There is no such thing a 8 plain Jaguar cores.

    Using 2 Jaguar Compute Units instead of 1 Compute Unit isn't much of a reason to call your CPU a "Custom Processor"

  6. #6
    Power Member
    mynd's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Down Under
    Age
    41
    Posts
    17,444
    Rep Power
    161
    Points
    157,276 (0 Banked)
    Items User name style
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Quote Originally Posted by ONQ View Post
    Using 2 Jaguar Compute Units instead of 1 Compute Unit isn't much of a reason to call your CPU a "Custom Processor"
    AMD quantify it as "semi-custom".
    But as JW said, don't forget you have to integrate GDDR5 into the memory bus controller as well. You have to sort cache sharing etc etc. That's more than enough to quantify it as "custom" but I guess we will see. It could be more, it could just be that.
    Last edited by mynd; 11-03-2013 at 07:12.

  7. #7
    Dedicated Member
    John Willaford's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Owings Mills, MD
    Age
    39
    Posts
    1,071
    Rep Power
    18
    Points
    408,039 (0 Banked)
    I'm guessing i'll hear alot of Nope that's not it, but, ...

    Memory controller reworked for GDDR5
    Additional Flags added (represented in bits) for various optimizations and signals added in hardware.
    Doubled the bandwidth to the CPU to compensate for 8 Jaguar Cores versus Kaveri being a 4 core Steamroller B processor, meaning the PS4 and XBO chips are much like a variation of the Kabini server chip and Kaveri, a third branch of AMD's development as it were given that it's part of the custom asic group.
    Jaguar cores are the main reason this is still an APU given the TDP of Jaguar versus Steamroller cores. The PS4 filled in that space with more CU's, the XBO with 1.4 billion transistors dedicated to 6T ESRAM Cache of 32MB in size.

    Not sure about XBO but PS4 is said to be customized Sea Island, the new R's are Volcanic Island.

    http://www.tomshardware.com/news/Vol...and,22443.html

    It appears to share some custom features with VI though.
    http://gamenmotion.blogspot.com/2013...-290x-gpu.html

    Won't know much more till I see a Block Diagram and whole white paper on it for sure.

  8. #8
    Master Guru
    ONQ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    6,107
    Rep Power
    87
    Points
    40,744 (0 Banked)
    Quote Originally Posted by John Willaford View Post
    I'm guessing i'll hear alot of Nope that's not it, but, ...

    Memory controller reworked for GDDR5
    Additional Flags added (represented in bits) for various optimizations and signals added in hardware.
    Doubled the bandwidth to the CPU to compensate for 8 Jaguar Cores versus Kaveri being a 4 core Steamroller B processor, meaning the PS4 and XBO chips are much like a variation of the Kabini server chip and Kaveri, a third branch of AMD's development as it were given that it's part of the custom asic group.
    Jaguar cores are the main reason this is still an APU given the TDP of Jaguar versus Steamroller cores. The PS4 filled in that space with more CU's, the XBO with 1.4 billion transistors dedicated to 6T ESRAM Cache of 32MB in size.

    Not sure about XBO but PS4 is said to be customized Sea Island, the new R's are Volcanic Island.

    http://www.tomshardware.com/news/Vol...and,22443.html

    It appears to share some custom features with VI though.
    http://gamenmotion.blogspot.com/2013...-290x-gpu.html

    Won't know much more till I see a Block Diagram and whole white paper on it for sure.

    You used me as a source lol. the point is Sony has never said that the CPU was custom until now & they are also calling the GPU a Next Generation Radeon.

    before everyone thought that was plain Jaguar Cores & a customized GPU from the older generation cards.

  9. #9
    Superior Member
    shadowrth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    PSN ID
    shadowrth
    Age
    29
    Posts
    562
    Rep Power
    56
    Points
    798 (0 Banked)
    Quote Originally Posted by ONQ View Post

    before everyone thought that was plain Jaguar Cores & a customized GPU from the older generation cards.
    http://techreport.com/news/24425/amd...sed-on-ps4-apu

    here is an article posted as far back as feb. 20th that states what is already in the video.
    Everyone knew this info for a long time it's the details no one knows.

  10. #10
    Dedicated Member
    John Willaford's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Owings Mills, MD
    Age
    39
    Posts
    1,071
    Rep Power
    18
    Points
    408,039 (0 Banked)
    Quote Originally Posted by Demi_God View Post
    I'm just really happy that Sony went with AMD this time around and I'm sure they got a lot more for the money compared to Nvidia and intel which would have probably ended up with a PS4 costing $499.
    Quote Originally Posted by shadowrth View Post
    http://techreport.com/news/24425/amd...sed-on-ps4-apu

    here is an article posted as far back as feb. 20th that states what is already in the video.
    Everyone knew this info for a long time it's the details no one knows.

    Did you guys note the sheer irony of NV announcing they would from that day on license their IP to other companies through a new initiative... pretty much as AMD was announcing they'd just made all 3 game systems? rofl...
    I still don't think anyone could design an AFFORDABLE Intel+NV combo with any power and an affordable pricetag. Though they will LICENSE it nobody said it'd be affordable to partner with them.

    They are just hoping Intel has to go down the APU rabbit hole with AMD and needs to swallow a huge pill and pay NV inordinate fees for their graphics IP to remain competitive with AMD.
    Intel has some talented people from S3 who are going to turn out something in the near future. Not sure it will be Radeon level, but, they already have pushed Intel in the right direction on Haswell.

  11. #11
    Dedicated Member
    Demi_God's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Icy hot of the north
    PSN ID
    Kamikaze_Krunch
    Posts
    1,426
    Rep Power
    16
    Points
    7,913 (0 Banked)
    Items User name style
    Quote Originally Posted by John Willaford View Post
    Did you guys note the sheer irony of NV announcing they would from that day on license their IP to other companies through a new initiative... pretty much as AMD was announcing they'd just made all 3 game systems? rofl...
    I still don't think anyone could design an AFFORDABLE Intel+NV combo with any power and an affordable pricetag. Though they will LICENSE it nobody said it'd be affordable to partner with them.

    They are just hoping Intel has to go down the APU rabbit hole with AMD and needs to swallow a huge pill and pay NV inordinate fees for their graphics IP to remain competitive with AMD.
    Intel has some talented people from S3 who are going to turn out something in the near future. Not sure it will be Radeon level, but, they already have pushed Intel in the right direction on Haswell.
    yea but those Haswells get really hot o_O

  12. #12
    Dedicated Member
    John Willaford's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Owings Mills, MD
    Age
    39
    Posts
    1,071
    Rep Power
    18
    Points
    408,039 (0 Banked)
    Quote Originally Posted by ONQ View Post
    You used me as a source lol. the point is Sony has never said that the CPU was custom until now & they are also calling the GPU a Next Generation Radeon.

    before everyone thought that was plain Jaguar Cores & a customized GPU from the older generation cards.
    No, the information goes back further. Pretty much all goes back to Cerny's discussion.
    I thought you'd find yourself fun.
    Anyone who's ever taken a Computer Engineering class seriously knows the essentials of what had to be done for the 8 cores and GDDR5 controller to be implemented, ala, lots of work and verification.
    We've been at it for a while around here actually.
    First, you need a GDDR5 controller! Second, examining a Kabini block shows you it has a certain memory access feature for the Jaguar core block, which we now have 2 blocks of, essentially, we need to double that.
    Cerny made many statements which I need not review.

    There's also this which you've lifted from Feb. You merely cite and copy VGL, adding nothing to it.
    At least you did Cite it.
    http://www.vgleaks.com/orbis-gpu-com...and-pipelines/


    Forgive my terseness, but, i appreciate Journalism, a feature which is dying a horrendous death on digital's door.
    It's not your fault, you just have a blog and another channel to promote, like the rest.

  13. #13
    Dedicated Member
    Demi_God's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Icy hot of the north
    PSN ID
    Kamikaze_Krunch
    Posts
    1,426
    Rep Power
    16
    Points
    7,913 (0 Banked)
    Items User name style
    I'm just really happy that Sony went with AMD this time around and I'm sure they got a lot more for the money compared to Nvidia and intel which would have probably ended up with a PS4 costing $499.

  14. #14
    Master Guru
    ONQ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    6,107
    Rep Power
    87
    Points
    40,744 (0 Banked)
    When has Sony said that the CPU was custom? as far as I can remember people thought it was 8 plain Jaguar cores & they never said that the GPU was from the next generation family of Radeon GPU's. VGLeaks said it was based on Southern Islands architecture & Sony specs on the website just say that it's AMD Radeon™ Graphics Core Next engine.






  15. #15
    Dedicated Member
    John Willaford's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Owings Mills, MD
    Age
    39
    Posts
    1,071
    Rep Power
    18
    Points
    408,039 (0 Banked)
    Quote Originally Posted by ONQ View Post
    When has Sony said that the CPU was custom? as far as I can remember people thought it was 8 plain Jaguar cores & they never said that the GPU was from the next generation family of Radeon GPU's. VGLeaks said it was based on Southern Islands architecture & Sony specs on the website just say that it's AMD Radeon™ Graphics Core Next engine.






    It comes down to the fact that it uses a GDDR5 controller, something no X86 CPU has EVER been hooked up to.
    That alone means the cores, now 2 blocks of 4 Jaguar Core modules, have to at least be revalidated and adjusted timing wise to that technology. Given that the XBO could be considered standard Jaguar blocks while the PS4 would necessarily, at least due to that one spec difference, have to be considered custom CPU blocks as well.

    Yes, Cerny and Company did most of the work on the Radeon and Memory bus features.

    http://www.gamasutra.com/view/featur...k_.php?print=1

  16. #16
    Master Guru
    ONQ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    6,107
    Rep Power
    87
    Points
    40,744 (0 Banked)
    Quote Originally Posted by John Willaford View Post
    It comes down to the fact that it uses a GDDR5 controller, something no X86 CPU has EVER been hooked up to.
    That alone means the cores, now 2 blocks of 4 Jaguar Core modules, have to at least be revalidated and adjusted timing wise to that technology. Given that the XBO could be considered standard Jaguar blocks while the PS4 would necessarily, at least due to that one spec difference, have to be considered custom CPU blocks as well.

    Yes, Cerny and Company did most of the work on the Radeon and Memory bus features.

    http://www.gamasutra.com/view/featur...k_.php?print=1

    I know a lot of things have been speculated & somethings have been said by people at Sony off the record & on the record over the past year or so but this is them saying that the CPU is custom & the GPU is from the next generation AMD GPU's officially.


    The CPU being custom & the GPU being part of the VI family is stuff that we speculated on because of the bits & pieces that have been posted on the internet.

  17. #17
    Dedicated Member

    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    1,484
    Rep Power
    39
    Points
    19,447 (0 Banked)
    Quote Originally Posted by ONQ View Post
    When has Sony said that the CPU was custom? as far as I can remember people thought it was 8 plain Jaguar cores
    Can you show me the off-the-shelf Jaguar with 8 cores and a GDDR5 memory controller?

    If you can't then we've known it was custom since the moment it was announced.



    & they never said that the GPU was from the next generation family of Radeon GPU's.
    Sony may not have, but AMD sure did. AMD has shown their product development paths for over a year, and every new GPU they had planned on releasing from this summer on is a GCN 2.0 GPU. Naturally the PS4 and Xbox One will be the same, they aren't going to be asking AMD to develop a new GPU using old tech that AMD is no longer using.

  18. #18
    Dedicated Member
    victorijapoosp's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    1,218
    Rep Power
    46
    Points
    13,011 (0 Banked)
    Items User name style
    What are the chances the PS4 GPU is a highly customised variant of the R9 270X? Using a lot of the features of the r9 290x, But clocked lower for EU energy efficiency rating. When comparing the specs this one really seems the closest card.

    Btw, I dunno why you guys are arguing. Someone makes a simple mistake, the next person goes digging for 6 month old articles. all that effort for nothing.
    Last edited by victorijapoosp; 11-03-2013 at 02:35.
    You can't be serious with the 30 megabyte signature... ~ Staff

    Maths is biased! It keeps telling me the PS4 is 50% more powerful than XboxOne!
    Great song, should have more views :'(

    SHIMAASAAAANIIII!!!!!
    http://i.imgur.com/bP50xuM.png

  19. #19
    Dedicated Member
    John Willaford's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Owings Mills, MD
    Age
    39
    Posts
    1,071
    Rep Power
    18
    Points
    408,039 (0 Banked)
    Quote Originally Posted by victorijapoosp View Post
    What are the chances the PS4 GPU is a highly customised variant of the R9 270X? Using a lot of the features of the r9 290x, But clocked lower for EU energy efficiency rating. When comparing the specs this one really seems the closest card.

    Btw, I dunno why you guys are arguing. Someone makes a simple mistake, the next person goes digging for 6 month old articles. all that effort for nothing.
    Because his post and video added nothing and appears to mostly inform me he's got a presence on youtube and a blog. My point is add some new insight, the video appears to have zero info we don't discuss here daily. He's not even a source, he's just lifting from VGLeaks. I don't discount the content of his youtube channels or his effort, but, it says Master Guru over his name, not joined 5 mins ago. Give me more if your a Guru.

  20. #20
    Master Guru
    ONQ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    6,107
    Rep Power
    87
    Points
    40,744 (0 Banked)
    Quote Originally Posted by John Willaford View Post
    Because his post and video added nothing and appears to mostly inform me he's got a presence on youtube and a blog. My point is add some new insight, the video appears to have zero info we don't discuss here daily. He's not even a source, he's just lifting from VGLeaks. I don't discount the content of his youtube channels or his effort, but, it says Master Guru over his name, not joined 5 mins ago. Give me more if your a Guru.
    What are you even talking about?


    Quote Originally Posted by John Willaford View Post
    I do want to be clear ONQ. Your videos appear to be something that will help lots of people. I'm not hating here, i'm just letting you know we've really been pounding these things out for months now. Just look threads up under myself, Victor, Mynd, Sub_Stance1, mistercrow... etc.
    I've shared my info, feel free to use it for your blog or to ask questions. If I seem to be hostile it's not my intent and want to make that clear now, I'm GRAS, just cranky sometimes.
    Seriously what are you talking about? lol
    Last edited by ONQ; 11-03-2013 at 03:43.

  21. #21
    Dedicated Member
    John Willaford's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Owings Mills, MD
    Age
    39
    Posts
    1,071
    Rep Power
    18
    Points
    408,039 (0 Banked)
    I do want to be clear ONQ. Your videos appear to be something that will help lots of people. I'm not hating here, i'm just letting you know we've really been pounding these things out for months now. Just look threads up under myself, Victor, Mynd, Sub_Stance1, mistercrow... etc.
    I've shared my info, feel free to use it for your blog or to ask questions. If I seem to be hostile it's not my intent and want to make that clear now, I'm GRAS, just cranky sometimes.

  22. #22
    Dedicated Member
    victorijapoosp's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    1,218
    Rep Power
    46
    Points
    13,011 (0 Banked)
    Items User name style
    Quote Originally Posted by John Willaford View Post
    I do want to be clear ONQ. Your videos appear to be something that will help lots of people. I'm not hating here, i'm just letting you know we've really been pounding these things out for months now. Just look threads up under myself, Victor, Mynd, Sub_Stance1, mistercrow... etc.
    I've shared my info, feel free to use it for your blog or to ask questions. If I seem to be hostile it's not my intent and want to make that clear now, I'm GRAS, just cranky sometimes.
    If you are going to disregard ONQ's thread, note ONQ's threads are more valid threads than the threads by those I have emboldened. Were you here for dual-GPU-gate? Were you here when timothy lottes(vindicated by cerny interviews and MANTLE) was called a liar by one of them? They are as bad as MisterXmedia when they "talking tech" about the PS4.

    BTW GamesHQmedia isn't ONQ's youtube channel.

    All ONQ did was post a clip of a PlayStation advert, with a still picture, he made a reasonable point based on his own speculation. He isn't saying he knows what it is exactly.

    Nobody knows what the CPU is exactly, we know it's an octacore Jaguar variant, that's all we know. We still don't know it's GHz, nevermind any other quirks that AMD and Sony may have designed.
    Last edited by victorijapoosp; 11-03-2013 at 04:41.
    You can't be serious with the 30 megabyte signature... ~ Staff

    Maths is biased! It keeps telling me the PS4 is 50% more powerful than XboxOne!
    Great song, should have more views :'(

    SHIMAASAAAANIIII!!!!!
    http://i.imgur.com/bP50xuM.png

  23. #23
    Dedicated Member
    John Willaford's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Owings Mills, MD
    Age
    39
    Posts
    1,071
    Rep Power
    18
    Points
    408,039 (0 Banked)
    Quote Originally Posted by victorijapoosp View Post
    If you are going to disregard ONQ's thread, note ONQ's threads are more valid threads than the threads by those I have emboldened. Were you here for dual-GPU-gate? Were you here when timothy lottes(vindicated by cerny interviews and MANTLE) was called a liar by one of them? They are as bad as MisterXmedia when they "talking tech" about the PS4.

    BTW GamesHQmedia isn't ONQ's youtube channel.

    All ONQ did was post a clip of a PlayStation advert, with a still picture, he made a reasonable point based on his own speculation. He isn't saying he knows what it is exactly.

    Nobody knows what the CPU is exactly, we know it's an octacore Jaguar variant, that's all we know. We still don't know it's GHz, nevermind any other quirks that AMD and Sony may have designed.
    I'm here now. That and truth are about all I care about.
    Again, it's fine that he posted it and we get crossed up on forums all the time.
    Which is why I posted a cordial qualification of my reasoning for my reaction above.

    I also noted that at least his blog does actually link back to sources and his youtube channel seems helpful.
    I initially mistook what must be his signature for directing people to his sites as part of his post.

    Yeah, you know i get into $#@!e fests with the afforebolden characters. One of them is mildly reasonable, lately anyway.

    Calling anyone a Liar is a step in the wrong direction and you know who i argue with. I've been called that as well. I won't say here how, but if anyone here's followed my posts on some wrestling sites since June, they might know what I have been up to, and, i've been vindicated and laughing at the doubters.
    That should have resulted in bans around here if it was that bad. But, I don't own the place.

  24. #24
    Ultimate Veteran
    mickice's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Australia, In a Kangaroo's pouch.
    Age
    27
    Posts
    21,931
    Rep Power
    128
    Points
    21,506 (40,000 Banked)
    Items PlayStationPS3 Slim
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    SexySonySecretSause. We must know what it is!

    - Symmetrical thumb sticks for life -

  25. #25
    Dedicated Member
    John Willaford's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Owings Mills, MD
    Age
    39
    Posts
    1,071
    Rep Power
    18
    Points
    408,039 (0 Banked)
    Quote Originally Posted by mickice View Post
    SexySonySecretSause. We must know what it is!
    During my time working for SONY i'd have to say it was our lady Chicago rep at the time, lol.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
vBCredits II Deluxe v2.1.0 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2010-2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.