Superior Member

PSN ID
    martin_blank

Boring Old Utility Post: DS4 Cable Source, Cheap

http://www.monoprice.com/Product/?c_...=2#description

Note that a few customer reviews complain about the micro B connector failing after a few months use. I read those and went to buy similar but "premium" cables about four times the price at Amazon and some of the reviews, same thing, failing micro B connector. I just went with the Monoprice cables, anyway. Usually for me, OEM or pricier "premium" cables of any kind give out before Monoprice cables. I have a feeling it's build quality + user habits = lifespan. All my Apple iPhone cables dating back to the first iPhone have turned a little gray yet are otherwise like new. But my daughter can pretty much shred a brand new iPhone cable in two months flat.

I went with 6 feet instead of 10 feet because 6 feet is generally the maximum length where there isn't much if any potential for USB power issues. Also went with the ferrite core because, one, I recall the Sony-provided DS3 controller cables had ferrite cores, at least originally, and, two, I'm not sure when the DS4 is connected to the PS4 by cable for charging while playing if it all data transfer remains wireless, or if some or all data goes by wire. I don't know you need the ferrite core in this case even if the cable does handle data when the controller is connected. If you're only going to charge the DS4 with the cable, from a computer USB port, some random USB charger, an iPhone or other phone charger, etc., or off the PS4 but not play while you're charging, you definitely don't need the ferrite core.

Anyway, buy them where you like but if you want low price and, all things being even, the cable likely will last as long as most other 6-foot USB Micro B cables under $20 each, I think Monoprice is as good as source as any. Only caveat accounting for possible connector wear issues, if you have kids under, you know probably 30, and they're going to play and charge, I'd let them stand with their noses to the TV charging from the 3-foot cable Sony tosses in with the PS4 and leave the third-party spares for your own perhaps gentler use.

Legend
    PSN ID
    F34RTEHR34PER
    Items BullySteamGran Turismo 5LiverpoolAppleJoker (limited ICON)Naughty DogMaster ChiefAssassins Creed EzioGears of WarHeavy RainDiablo III
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    I pretty much buy all cables from monoprice.

3. Likes TAZ427, sanfordmay likes this post
    Superior Member

PSN ID
    martin_blank
    Yeah. If they get use they're gonna wear out. I haven't noticed Monoprice wear out any sooner than others. And if they just stay put I haven't had those ever wear out. Some people think they're cheap build because Target sells the same type cable, $1.25 at Monoprice, for $18. Sure but Target only paid a buck ten for that cable wholesale, and the packaging cost as much as the cable.

Ultimate Veteran
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    it stink sony did not use the same usb from the DS3 i have a nice 10 foot cable lol. i guess i will get one from monorpice
    which one is better but the ps4 does come with a short one miroc cable

Superior Member
    PSN ID
    TEST SUBJECT 83
    It's all about taking care of your stuff.
    I buy cheap cables and even buy used ones from second hand stores.
    People wear there cables out buy not taking care of them or not even noticing that they aren't.
    I have tons of cables adding up because evey new gadget I buy comes with one and like I said mine never wear out unless a dog gets ahold of one or something tragic.
    I agree that some are better quality and can give a "better" signal of which you'll NEVER notice the difference.
    It's like buying a gold plated audio cable for better sound. Just a sales gimmick. Yes gold is the best conductor but the difference is never going to be something someone would ever notice.
    Anyways, just my experience.
    Last edited by TEST SUBJECT 83; 11-03-2013 at 18:13.

Elite Guru
    PSN ID
    TAZ427
    I agree that it's all about taking care of your equipment. I have been using micro-B cables for about 5yrs now w/o any problems until my son got a hold of them and I watched him yank them out by the cord and even pick up the phone/tablet/etc by the cord. And over time the retention pins on them loosen up. It's basically two bent pieces of metal that's bent at an angle to put pressure against the socket when inserted. I used an exacto knife to pop out and bend it back in place on the two he damaged and they're still working fine now.

That said this isn't any better on high priced vs low priced micro-B connectors.

BTW, I also buy all my cables through monoprice.com

8. Likes sanfordmay likes this post
    Veteran
    PSN ID
    saigon1914
    Never kknew of this website, I think I will invest sometime in search for some items on here, thanks.

Thread Information