Latest PSU headlines:

Superior Member

PSN ID
    martin_blank

Game HDD Space Requirements

There seems to be some confusion about HDD space requirements stated on PS4 game boxes, if it's minimum space required, period. Or minimum space required for an optional full install. I have no idea what it really means, but if it's minimum space required, period, and we're looking at approximately 50GB per game required on an HDD with a fair amount less than 500GB actually available to the user for game data, HDD space requirements are going to be PS4's during little launch secret. Yeah I know you can upgrade the HDD. Yeah I know very few PS4-as-turnkey-console owners will actually do that.

My bet is it's either for optional full installs or the minimum temporary caching space only while playing the game. Either of which may be required for suspend+resume functionality when that feature is enabled, but the enormous HDD usage will still be optional.

Game HDD Space Requirements

I believe Sony has said this is a requirement for cache, and it is to make up for speed deficits with the bluray drive. The games apparently dynamically cache to the drive while playing. The suspend and resume feature has more to do with the the systems ability to go into low power mode, keeping the data live in RAM as if the system was running the whole time. However, this caching will likely be required for that feature to work as well.

My guess is that the OS probably keeps two file system tables, one for permanent data and one for "cache" data. The cache probably writes to available spare space and then user initiated installs, or other permanent installs, can overwrite that data if necessary. Just speculation on my part, but it would seem an ideal way to do it to me, that way you aren't constantly removing and writing cached data or consuming user space.

Edit: or I guess two tables is probably a bit complicated, maybe something like a cache bit in the FS table. Really just rambling at this point as I have no clue, but interested if the solution is anything like what I'm thinking.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by bmatt; 11-04-2013 at 02:54.

PSN ID
    nervegas_ds
    it would have been nice if they would just have partitioned part of the drive with enough space to cache games. that way we wouldn't have to make sure we have enough space available, it would just be there.

4. Likes TEST SUBJECT 83 likes this post
    Super Moderator
    PSN ID
    admartian
    Items ArsenalVitaUser name styleSteamPS3 Slim
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=704440
    Which is basically:
    Yoshida first confirmed that Playstation 4 does automaic cashing to games, and its not the mandatory install. This is really huge news for Playstation 4, it basically mean, if you want to play CoD Ghosts and Killzone, you won't need 100GB of space (50GB each,) you'll just need 50GB to cache them. That's so cool!

#IndieStation4 and proud of it.

I'm curious what the real process is. I know there were concerns with this caching with SSD as you would wear out those NANDs pretty quickly by rewriting this data many times, though the life on modern SSDs is pretty good. I think the partition method would cause these types issues for sure, so I think setting the data as volatile somehow may be the ideal solution so you could leave the data there for later use and simple overwrite it if it is needed.

Dedicated Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bmatt View Post
    I'm curious what the real process is. I know there were concerns with this caching with SSD as you would wear out those NANDs pretty quickly by rewriting this data many times, though the life on modern SSDs is pretty good. I think the partition method would cause these types issues for sure, so I think setting the data as volatile somehow may be the ideal solution so you could leave the data there for later use and simple overwrite it if it is needed.

That's great insight.
    An SSD's greatest strength is hopefully data security.
    When it 'wears out' the controller sets it to read only and the data should never go missing. At least that beats head crashes on mechanical media.

Their downside is exactly the same: They have a rewrite lifetime. Optimally the game would cache while you play it then if you don't insert that disc for a while your save is there of course but your cache deletes until your next play.

Ultimate Veteran
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Yup no mandatory install u can if u wanna but for while 500 gigs will be fine for me when I get a 1 tb drive then I will install the games

Apprentice
    PSN ID
    N0REGARD4LIFE
    Items PlayStationDiceBattlefield 3
    So it is confirmed that we can do full installs and play from the HDD? BF4 isn't going to leave my PS4 for probably 2 years, so that's a lot of wear and tear on my blu ray drive if there's no install option.

Superior Member

PSN ID
    martin_blank
    Quote Originally Posted by N0REGARD4LIFE View Post
    So it is confirmed that we can do full installs and play from the HDD? BF4 isn't going to leave my PS4 for probably 2 years, so that's a lot of wear and tear on my blu ray drive if there's no install option.
    From what I've read it's confirmed we can do full installs, just like after the later cycle OS update to Xbox 360. Of course you'll need the disc in the drive the whole time you play for authentication purposes, and I'm fairly sure the game will access the disc from time to time, if only to authenticate again during a long play session, but not the constant "load churn" to which we're all accustomed playing PS3 games, especially online games. BLOPS2, you could install the textures for online play, and that made a noticeably difference in how often the disc was accessed.

Reasonably, though, a Blu-ray is designed for movies as well as games, a continual load process with very little, perhaps no, cache in Blu-ray decks. Yes, it's a different sort of access, more random and less sequential. But still it's no different than the days of heavy CD and DVD ROM/R/RW access in computers, and no matter how much you use it the Blu-ray drive should last about seven years, roughly the expected life cycle span for the whole platform. I had two 360s completely quit this past generation, a launch PS3 went YLOD and a Slim kept working, still works, but the Blu-ray laser started to fail and then quit altogether. That's four consoles I chose to replace rather than send out for repair -- they were all out of warranty by anywhere from a month to over a year; the first 360 died with an error that was later covered by extended warranty, but not when it died, and the second, yes, I could have waited the month turnaround and had it fixed only for cost of shipping -- but even if I'd picked the somewhat more economical, though far more inconvenient, repair option, these are unacceptable failure rates on both sides. The only one I can forgive is the YLOD on the launch PS3. The kids beat the stuffing out of it playing the first LittleBigPlanet when it came out. Had there never been any LBP that console might have at least made it until a few months ago.

That's something I'd like to see in this gen. Built to last the whole gen. I only had to replace my PS2 with slim PS2 after years because my daughter kept kicking the drive tray shut and the mechanism finally broke. I know by comparison a PS2 is a far less complicated device than current or new gen consoles , but it's still my durability expectation. My PS1, somebody knocked a*40-pound tube TV over on it face down from table height during a party, it still worked, never stopped working until I eventually quit playing it completely in favor of PS2 games.

Thread Information