Page 1 of 3 1 ... LastLast
    Super Elite
    PSN ID
    BilLCollecTTor

PS4′s Alleged Overheating Problems: Developers Say they Don’t Exist

In the last few days a couple of media outlets spread rumors abut the PS4 possibly suffering from overheating problems, and that was presented as the alleged reason why many journalists aren’t receiving review units in advance.The rumor seemed quite farfetched, and mostly born out of the malcontent of some that felt entitled to a free console before launch and saw that request denied, so I set out to ask those that have the best chance to actually know about possible problems: developers that have been working on the console for quite a while now.The development environment puts consoles in quite brutal operational conditions, especially due to the long working hours, so if there indeed are problems, developers should have been the first to notice.Of course not everyone was willing to answer, and not everyone was willing to let us disclose his name and position, but here are the results of our research.Meridith Braun of Digital Extremes (Warframe) let us know that the PS4 devkits the studio has used “worked as intended.” When I asked for a more specific answer, precisely if the devkits never overheated while working on them, her answer was “Correct.”Switchblade Monkeys Creative Director Yousuf Mapara working on Secret Ponchos, had the following to say:
    We’ve been using a bunch of dev kits. They’ve been on almost all the time, sometimes even over night. They’ve always stayed cool, never even gotten warm so It has never suggested the threat of a problem. We have had n0 problems with any of the dev kits throughout development.
    In addition to that, seven different developers that opted to have their name not published responded that they never experienced any heat-related problems with the development consoles.Of those one, working on a title that will be both on PS4 and PC answered:
    As far as I know, the specs and cooling of the current dev kits are the same as the final retail consoles, and I never saw one getting any hotter than a PS3 or a Xbox 360. Our consoles never had problems of that sort, and if you’re talking about that picture with the red line, I never saw something like that.
    Another, currently at work on an AAA multiplatform game that will be on both PS4 and Xbox One, reported pretty much the same thing, including Microsoft’s new console into the picture.
    None of our devkits, either PS4 or Xbox One, had any overheating problems. We have so many and we use them so much that if there was any big issue we’d have probably noticed something, but no, they all worked and still work like a charm.
    One of the developers we asked was quite clear cut:
    We don’t really like getting in the middle of console war stuff /rumors so we’d rather not be credited for a quote, but this makes me giggle. We’ve been using test and dev kits for a while. No over heating issues. We run them for full business hours and beyond. Granted, they aren’t identical to what will be released, so really anyone claiming to have an issue is either fabricating it, or it would be something I’d expect resolved in the final model. No issues on our end that I’ve seen.
    A fourth was a bit more philosophical, but still reported no issue:
    There’s no such thing as a new console launch without a number of faulty units, but none of the development kits we have suffered from any problem related to heat.
    None of the developers wiling to give their insight on the issue reported any overheating problem witnessed directly or heard about.In addition to developers, I also contacted a few people that worked at the Sony booths at recent trade shows, Milan’s Games Week and the event in Paris that goes by the same name (both booths had a very high number of working consoles). I also managed to get in contact with someone that worked at the Battlefield 4 booth at the Paris Games Week, where 32 PS4 and 32 Xbox One units worked over time for almost a week.They all were very clear in explaining that no console had any kind of overheating issue during the events, and trade show conditions are just as brutal than the development environment.There you have it, straight from the mouths of quite a few lions. Of course the PS4 is not a perfect machine. Absolute perfection in electronics manufacturing doesn’t exist, so like one of the developers above said, we can definitely expect a number of faulty units, but there’s no real reason to expect a widespread problem due to overheating.All in all, alleging that Sony might be withholding delivery of the console to journalist due to overheating issues (that would still surface afterwards, even more disastrously, if they really existed) seems to definitely hold little credibility.

Dedicated Member
    PSN ID
    Kamikaze_Krunch
    Items User name style
    but this also falls inline with the different colors on that startup light. So it's possible that it's just a color.

Elite Guru
    PSN ID
    TAZ427
    The only write-up I've seen even coming close to this had the PS4 in a very tiny plastic casing, with what appeared to be only one hole in the bottom for cables to pass through. That was the one with the red light. And it really didn't imply to me that it had an overheating problem, except in that enclosed environment. And that really doesn't even count as an issue, as that's WAY outside the norm of an intended working environment and it would lead to overheating only anything that's probably above 50W of power consumption. The article was basically FUD, but even assuming it to be true, it showed that the PS4 shut down reasonably, and powered back up once it cooled down (i.e. the idiots opened the front panel.)

Apprentice

Not that I believed those reports but the good news just keeps pouring in

Superior Member
    PSN ID
    thanatos144
    Some People are grasping at straws to downgrade the ps4

Super Elite
    PSN ID
    BilLCollecTTor
    Quote Originally Posted by thanatos144 View Post
    Some People are grasping at straws to downgrade the ps4
    agreed

Extreme Poster
    PSN ID
    mistercrow
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Never believed it in the first place. If it had been true all the big sites would've been covering the story. Another PS4 FUD rumor shot down. Next one please. lol

PSU Live Streamer
    PSN ID
    xShadow__WoIf | YoungMullah88
    Items User name style
    Pssh Beer said there are no real ps4's! Dev kits might be fine but what about actually retail ps4's? Lol, I read those don't exist

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk

Extreme Poster
    PSN ID
    mistercrow
    Quote Originally Posted by YoungMullah88 View Post
    Pssh Beer said there are no real ps4's! Dev kits might be fine but what about actually retail ps4's? Lol, I read those don't exist Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk
    Yeah I read that retail PS4's are just a myth. No use in going to the midnight launch then. lol Preorder cancelled.

PSN ID
    sayyestoweed
    Yeah if this was real news we would have known about it by now especially one as severe as this

Praetor Illuminatus
    Link to article?

Superior Member

PSN ID
    martin_blank
    For one, somebody at Sony said the wedge design was to keep people from cramming the back of the console against a flat surface blocking the vents thereby creating a heat issue. So the rumor could have been born in part from that, if Sony designed the console to discourage positioning that causes overheating then heat must be a problem. It's faulty logic, but it's logic.

For two, if a PS4 overheats in heavy use, shuts down when it gets too hot then will start and operate normally once cooled down, that's expected behavior. My MacBook Pro will do that. It's never done it but it's designed to do it if necessary. It's only a flaw if the heat breaks the consoles or it overheats to safety shutdown once an hour or whatever. The problem with the original Xbox 360s wasn't really that they overheated, it's that if they overheated they failed to turn themselves off before they were damaged by heat. Newer Xbox 360s will shut off if they exceed a heat threshold.

For three, it's as hard to get free advance hardware from Sony as it is Apple. Go ahead and ask. The answer is never no. It's always hell no.

Dedicated Member
    Items User name style
    Quote Originally Posted by sanfordmay View Post
    For one, somebody at Sony said the wedge design was to keep people from cramming the back of the console against a flat surface blocking the vents thereby creating a heat issue. So the rumor could have been born in part from that, if Sony designed the console to discourage positioning that causes overheating then heat must be a problem. It's faulty logic, but it's logic.

For two, if a PS4 overheats in heavy use, shuts down when it gets too hot then will start and operate normally once cooled down, that's expected behavior. My MacBook Pro will do that. It's never done it but it's designed to do it if necessary. It's only a flaw if the heat breaks the consoles or it overheats to safety shutdown once an hour or whatever. The problem with the original Xbox 360s wasn't really that they overheated, it's that if they overheated they failed to turn themselves off before they were damaged by heat. Newer Xbox 360s will shut off if they exceed a heat threshold.

For three, it's as hard to get free advance hardware from Sony as it is Apple. Go ahead and ask. The answer is never no. It's always hell no.
    The majority of your post doesn't make sense. the wedge design is actually extremely intelligent design, it basically means people would have to try very hard to intentionally block the vents.

Imagine what happens when you put something... ANYTHING on top of the xbone. VENTS BLOCKED = RROD part 2.

Here you have people bashing 20 units day in day out 15 hours a day, yet they have ZERO overheating problems. Not even one report even when they have the choice of anonymity.

BTW Don't say you fell for those badly photoshopped "redline" pictures. This overheating rumour was spread by desperate Microsoft fanboys, and their concern trolling due to their Xbone being the size of a briefcase.

I could start a new rumour. Observe:

"hey guys, so I was walking past a PS4, but when i got closer i realised it's light was purple, when i asked the Rep she told me in was in 4 Teraflop turbo mode, I have evidence look!"
    Last edited by victorijapoosp; 11-04-2013 at 23:21.
    You can't be serious with the 30 megabyte signature... ~ Staff

Maths is biased! It keeps telling me the PS4 is 50% more powerful than XboxOne!
    Great song, should have more views :'(

SHIMAASAAAANIIII!!!!!
    http://i.imgur.com/bP50xuM.png

14. Likes BrosephFTW, Zswordsman likes this post
    Elite Guru
    PSN ID
    TAZ427
    Quote Originally Posted by sanfordmay View Post
    Do you have a quote for this? I've not heard Sony, or anyone else for that matter, until now even make this suggestion. To be honest this doesn't even make sense. At a minimum a user has a power cord and HDMI cable plugged into the back, keeping someone from pressing it up against a wall or something. I'd have called BS on anyone even making such a suggestion regarding the design.

16. Likes MonkeyClaw, victorijapoosp likes this post
    Dedicated Member
    Items User name style
    I get the feeling The sith and greatspacekoaster are being regenerated. genesis not quite complete though.

Marcus beer and the rest want the freebies that they grew accustomed to flowing out of Microsoft's teat this generation. The YT guys seem to be better that these "mainstream" gaming sites and their "journalists".
    Last edited by victorijapoosp; 11-04-2013 at 23:28.

SHIMAASAAAANIIII!!!!!

Super Moderator
    PSN ID
    lsutigers19
    Items Final Fantasy XIIIFinal Fantasy XCall of Duty: Black OPSDragon Ball ZPS3 SlimGoogle Chrome
    Quote Originally Posted by victorijapoosp View Post
    The majority of your post doesn't make sense. the wedge design is actually extremely intelligent design, it basically means people would have to try very hard to intentionally block the vents.

Imagine what happens when you put something... ANYTHING on top of the xbone. VENTS BLOCKED = RROD part 2.

Here you have people bashing 20 units day in day out 15 hours a day, yet they have ZERO overheating problems. Not even one report even when they have the choice of anonymity.

BTW Don't say you fell for those badly photoshopped "redline" pictures. This overheating rumour was spread by desperate Microsoft fanboys, and their concern trolling due to their Xbone being the size of a briefcase.

"hey guys, so I was walking past a PS4, but when i got closer i realised it's light was purple, when i asked the Rep she told me in was in 4 Teraflop turbo mode, I have evidence look!"
    I agree that image was photo shopped. That line is choppy and inconsistent. It looks like it was drawn in paint. Not to mention even if that image was real it would make sense that it would overheat. It's practically sealed off from any airflow.

Currently Playing: ​ Watch Dogs
    Currently Waiting For: ​​ ​Destiny

Superior Member

PSN ID
    martin_blank
    Quote Originally Posted by victorijapoosp View Post

That was my point. It's good idiot-proof design the explanation for which was maybe mistaken by someone perhaps predisposed to speculate hardware issues for PS4. I never saw that picture before you posted it. I'm not worried about overheating. I think Sony knows how to design to avoid heat issues. I'm only interested in the provenance of the rumor. If it was entirely born of malicious PS4 dissenters, or if there was a somewhat more innocent source to it.

Fairly though, devkits that don't overheat are no proof retail units won't overheat. I don't think they'll overheat but devkits that don't overheat doesn't make a case against retail overheating. Devkits that do overheat wouldn't make a case for retail units overheating either.

Superior Member

PSN ID
    martin_blank
    Quote Originally Posted by TAZ427 View Post
    Do you have a quote for this? I've not heard Sony, or anyone else for that matter, until now even make this suggestion. To be honest this doesn't even make sense. At a minimum a user has a power cord and HDMI cable plugged into the back, keeping someone from pressing it up against a wall or something. I'd have called BS on anyone even making such a suggestion regarding the design.
    I can't find the original quote. I can find blog comments that mention it but those aren't a good source. I agree cables serve a similar purpose but sometimes industrial designers don't think with cables in mind and the wedge shape does serve to leave a lot of vent space open. Or the Sony guy was talking out of the side of his head. Who knows. But for the purposes of germinating a heat issues rumor, the Sony rep doesn't have to be right that's why it's a wedge, only that he said it.

Ultimate Veteran
    other console fans will say anything about the ps4 when there console is messed up from the start

Superior Member

PSN ID
    martin_blank
    Quote Originally Posted by coolguy View Post
    other console fans
    Very punny.

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by mistercrow View Post
    Yeah I read that retail PS4's are just a myth. No use in going to the midnight launch then. lol Preorder cancelled.
    You heard that from the basement down below and you know how right they have been the past year.
    |
    |
    |
    |
    \ /
    V

Holy $#@!! Just realized the PS4 launch is next week!
    Last edited by Bligmerk; 11-05-2013 at 00:34.
    Pacing in wait of Sony's imminent DOOM!...since 2006
    PS4 - The Only Hardcore Gaming Console = All Your Baserape Are Belong To Us

Superior Member
    PSN ID
    thanatos144
    Maybe the designed the ps4 shape just because it looks cool

Superior Member

PSN ID
    martin_blank
    Quote Originally Posted by thanatos144 View Post
    Maybe the designed the ps4 shape just because it looks cool
    Form follows function. The golden rule of industrial design. Often ignored but designers will never actually tell you they did it because it looks cool. Remember the "Luxo lamp" iMac? The alleged reason for that split design was not because it looked interesting and unique but because the DVD drive's form lent itself to horizontal orientation while the screen only made sense upright in your face. They made a big deal how it wasn't just one big flat panel FOR A REASON. And then what does Apple do the very next iMac form factor revision? They made the whole works one big flat panel, stuck the DVD drive on the side, vertically oriented. They never explained why that was suddenly okay.

Dedicated Member
    Items User name style
    The test/debug kits and the retail units are identical hardware wise.

only difference is the firmware and debug options that allow the units to play games and run a development overlay when networked to a development PC. Remember that dev event where Guerrilla Games ran a devkit plus a PC running and overlay that enabled them to fly around the maps, turn effects on and off, see the world in wireframe vectors/polygons etc.

So in this, article they have 6 or 7 different sources testifying that there are no overheating issues.

The only person I've seen kicking up a fuss is Marcus "manbaby" Beer. In his video, his reasoning is, "If they won't send me an early free unit for reviewing games on, there must be something wrong with it." Then he fakes a rumour that has no sources except the echo in his head.

This is quite funny because, Marcus Beer doesn't review games, GameTrailers have dedicated professional reviewers. Marcus Beer makes up nonsense and stands upon his soapbox once a week regurgitating forum posts by other people, sometimes word for word. That's it. When it comes to playing games early, he picks up the crumbs left by the GT review team, when they are finished with a game he will swoop in and play it.

His only connection to the "gaming industry" is that he was PR at ubisoft for 1 year then PR at vivendi for 2 years, i.e. only ever in the marketing division. He acts like he is some long term industry veteran. He is a third rate talking head with a soapbox that latches onto forum posts to create his "content".

Why should Sony send him a review console when he isn't even a reviewer? He gives the Welsh a bad name.
    Last edited by victorijapoosp; 11-05-2013 at 06:11.

SHIMAASAAAANIIII!!!!!

Superior Member
    PSN ID
    JDizzleNO1
    Items Diablo IIIMetallicaUser name styleDark Souls CoverDemons Souls CoverPS3 Fat
    Quote Originally Posted by mistercrow View Post
    holy $#@! does that mean that the ps4 i pre-ordered from amazon is just a dev kit?

cool i can still play games on it

Thread Information