Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst ... 3
    Administrator
    Items Ghost in the ShellTidusLightningBruce LeeAppleUser name style
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Quote Originally Posted by Praetor Illuminatus View Post
    Why does the OP not have a link to the article?
    That's what I was thinking.

WHERE IT BE, YO?!
    "The biggest adversary in our life is ourselves. We are what we are, in a sense, because of the dominating thoughts we allow to gather in our head. All concepts of self-improvement, all actions and paths we take, relate solely to our abstract image of ourselves. Life is limited only by how we really see ourselves and feel about our being. A great deal of pure self-knowledge and inner understanding allows us to lay an all-important foundation for the structure of our life from which we can perceive and take the right avenues.Ē

Apprentice
    Great read and I never believe it in the first place

Superior Member

PSN ID
    martin_blank
    Quote Originally Posted by PBM View Post
    That's what I was thinking.

WHERE IT BE, YO?!
    I googled the whole first graf and the only result returned is the psu.com forum post. So it's either copied out of a another post on a forum that isn't or can't be indexed by google, the first graf is grossly altered or misquoted, or it's fabricated from whole cloth.

There are however a bunch of hits to stories on "developers deny PS4 overheats." For example, http://www.nowgamer.com/news/2146611...evelopers.html

Based on my experience with Sony products across several lines, I'll speculate that a properly functioning and correctly positioned PS4 will not overheat during normal use at ambient temperatures within the specification. But, "Registered PS4 developers universally agree: Sony's new console's devkits run hot like frying pans," is a headline you're never going to read. If I'm making a game I'm trying to sell on a console, I'm going to publicly announce to consumers they should expect a heat problem with that console? No, I'm not going to do that.

Extreme Poster
    PSN ID
    mistercrow
    Quote Originally Posted by sanfordmay View Post
    I googled the whole first graf and the only result returned is the psu.com forum post. So it's either copied out of a another post on a forum that isn't or can't be indexed by google, the first graf is grossly altered or misquoted, or it's fabricated from whole cloth. There are however a bunch of hits to stories on "developers deny PS4 overheats." For example, http://www.nowgamer.com/news/2146611...evelopers.html Based on my experience with Sony products across several lines, I'll speculate that a properly functioning and correctly positioned PS4 will not overheat during normal use at ambient temperatures within the specification. But, "Registered PS4 developers universally agree: Sony's new console's devkits run hot like frying pans," is a headline you're never going to read. If I'm making a game I'm trying to sell on a console, I'm going to publicly announce to consumers they should expect a heat problem with that console? No, I'm not going to do that.
    So we have developers saying the rumor is false but we're supposed to disregard them and take your word which is based solely on your own baseless speculation and conspiracy theory. Yeah ok. lol
    Last edited by mistercrow; 11-06-2013 at 13:12.

Superior Member

PSN ID
    martin_blank
    Quote Originally Posted by mistercrow View Post
    So we have developers saying the rumor is false but we're supposed to disregard them and take your word which is based solely on your own baseless speculation. Yeah ok. lol
    No. I'm saying the fact devkits do not overheat doesn't say much if anything about heat in retail units that have been churned off a complicated high-volume assembly line. Devkits are not only of somewhat different architecture, they are manufactured in a different way in a different assembly environment. A couple thousand limited-run prototype-derived cars aren't two million production cars. Not to mention the usage profile of a devkit does not represent the usage profile of a retail unit. Sure, they're left on most of the time. One of the worst things you can do to an electronic device is power it on. Fewer power cycles might result in less wear on a device and therefore it performs better, close to design specification. Perhaps the development environment is a more stressful environment for consoles, perhaps devkit architecture in the area of, say, heat generation is not too much different than retail units, but you'd have to create a controlled study to determine that for every console architecture. To my knowledge no such study exists. Therefore, what developers anecdotally relate about devkits is not probative data regarding retail units.

Neither am I saying any particular developer would outright lie if the devkits did in fact overheat. They wouldn't all tell the public they did not overheat. Some would lie, certainly, but not all, likely not even most. Probably only a few. But they wouldn't tell the public if they did overheat, either. It's not in their best interests selling games developed for PS4, nor is it in the best interests of their relationship with Sony, and it would violate their nondisclosure agreements. (Saying nice things against NDA is generally tolerated, though not so much by some companies, like Apple for example; saying negative things is rarely tolerated and when it is, only from industry luminaries the company holding the NDA feels are fairly bulletproof. Otherwise, people lose their jobs, sometimes their whole careers, for violating NDAs. Sometimes they lose their shirts, too, if the companies holding the NDAs decide to sue them for financial damages incurred by their violation of those NDAs.)

My speculation isn't baseless. It is based on personal and professional experience with Sony hardware, game consoles, computing devices and otherwise. I said it was speculation because it is speculation and if I'm speculating I should declare that I am speculating. But it's not baseless speculation. It's founded in experience. Anecdotal experience, just like developers' experience with PS4 devkits.

I don't get why this is so difficult to understand. In my opinion, an opinion for which I have both personal and professional experience, a Sony-designed games console will not have heat issues, barring the usual industry standard fraction of factory defect units, what's often called something like the expected fail rate. That's my opinion and I've made perfectly clear it's my opinion. Take it or leave it. But developers' positive experiences with devkits do not prove anything one way or the other about retail units. Negative experiences wouldn't prove anything, either, but not enough developers would publicly report those negative experiences prelaunch to make a reasonable assessment of potential problems.
    Last edited by sanfordmay; 11-06-2013 at 13:50.

Superior Member

PSN ID
    martin_blank
    conspiracy theory
    Wait, I just noticed this. Conspiracy theory? Really? What have I said that even remotely constitutes what would be commonly understood as a conspiracy theory? If the retail PS4s do in fact overheat at a rate greater than expected fail rate, that will be the case because "former" Xbox 360 engineers took jobs at Sony working on the PS4 project to intentionally introduce design flaws that will stimulate the new console to overheat. Now that's a conspiracy theory.

Superior Member
    PSN ID
    thanatos144
    Any one else having problems following the email link to this thread?

Superior Member

PSN ID
    martin_blank
    Quote Originally Posted by thanatos144 View Post
    Any one else having problems following the email link to this thread?
    I'm not using email notifications for thread updates but I emailed myself a link to the thread from the Thread Tools menu and it worked.

Superior Member
    PSN ID
    thanatos144
    So as normal it is just my emails that make the link fail LOL

Superior Member
    PSN ID
    JDizzleNO1
    Items Diablo IIIMetallicaUser name styleDark Souls CoverDemons Souls CoverPS3 Fat
    despite all the over-dramatization created about the heating of the ps4, im sure it'll overheat just like the ps3's did, which is very little to none at all

Extreme Poster
    PSN ID
    mistercrow
    Quote Originally Posted by sanfordmay View Post
    Wait, I just noticed this. Conspiracy theory? Really? What have I said that even remotely constitutes what would be commonly understood as a conspiracy theory? If the retail PS4s do in fact overheat at a rate greater than expected fail rate, that will be the case because "former" Xbox 360 engineers took jobs at Sony working on the PS4 project to intentionally introduce design flaws that will stimulate the new console to overheat. Now that's a conspiracy theory.
    Read the last part of your post that I had quoted.

Superior Member

PSN ID
    martin_blank
    Read the last part of your post that I had quoted.
    The last part of my post that you quoted states that, were PS4 developers experiencing widespread overheating problems with PS4 devkits, they would not en masse publicly announce that information. That's not a conspiracy theory. That's not even a theory. That's a fact. It's against their own business interests, potentially disrupts their working relationship with Sony and it violates their nondisclosure agreements.

Otherwise, I'm stepping out of this discussion. You seem to have a vested interest in this matter the provenance of which I do not know. There's nothing more I can offer in this exchange that doesn't run the risk of being taken for combative or contrary merely for the sake of contrariness.

Thread Information