Latest PSU headlines:

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst ... 2 ... LastLast
    Apprentice
    PSN ID
    chriharr
    Quote Originally Posted by Malt View Post
    I wouldn't be so sure, my sky+ HD box has been recording every damn soap opera and crappy drama series since we got it, it still works OK.. I haven't even had to reformat it..
    Maybe I'm just being a little too cautious.... Guess you're right HDDs are pretty robust.
    " A Toll's a toll and a roll's a roll. If we don't get no toll's, then we don't eat no roll's"

Extreme Poster
    PSN ID
    mistercrow
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Quote Originally Posted by Bitbydeath View Post
    500gb isn't that bad IMO Do you usually play 10 or more games at once? I'd maybe do 3. Just delete the ones you are no longer using and if you do use them again later it won't really matter as it installs while you are playing.
    Yep exactly. Thats what I'm going to do. No big deal.

Superior Member
    PSN ID
    Skullomainia
    Quote Originally Posted by mistercrow View Post
    Yep exactly. Thats what I'm going to do. No big deal.

That's exactly what I've been doing with my puny 40GB fat boy for the last few years.. I only got ps+ when my boy had a 320GB slim for Christmas a few years back..

Superior Member
    PSN ID
    thanatos144
    Large game data could be a reason they dont have support for mp3s and other stored media. Hell on my PS3 I have about 4 gigs of music and I dont even use it......

Veteran
    A little place called none of your **** business. United States.
    Items 360 SlimPS3 SlimNaughty Dog
    It's called cacheing. The data it loads is not permanent. As long as you have 40-50 gb free, you can pop in any game and play. When you are done playing the data is removed.

I don't really need a water cooler/remote control as of right now.

Elite Guru
    PSN ID
    TAZ427
    Quote Originally Posted by chriharr View Post
    Hopefully the cache data remains on the HDD even when changing games, I would get pissed if every disc I inserted into the system had to re-cache 40gb of data every single time, HDD wouldn't last long with so many massive writes all the time.

Hopefully it's a case of the data remains until the HDD gets full, then you have to manage/make room for game cache before playing again.
    They haven't said how the cache is implemented, but I'd assume they'd treat any space on the HDD that does not have permanent data (i.e. no install data, game save, file save, ...) as cache space. Once this is filled up, it will evict the oldest data when it needs to cache more game data. Note, they could simply allocate a limited amount of space (and they may actually have a minimum set aside to prevent issues) which would mean more frequent data eviction and caching if they didn't allocate all unused space.

So once you get down to around only 50-100GB or so space left, it's going to be evicting cached data between just about every disc game swap (that isn't a full install as those already will be shown as taking up other space.)

This said, 500GB isn't too bad, and it's reasonable considering 1TB is as big as laptop HDD come that are the standard 9.5mm height drives. It's reasonable to keep costs down. And much more reasonable IMHO than 20/60GB was on PS3s.

To be honest even if they gave 1TB HDD's people would complain (as they will in a year or two when they will have PS4s with 1TB HDD available.)

Quote Originally Posted by unicron7 View Post
    It's called cacheing. The data it loads is not permanent. As long as you have 40-50 gb free, you can pop in any game and play. When you are done playing the data is removed.
    It most likely will not be removed until evicted by other game caches. No reason to remove this until space is needed to cache other games.

Super Moderator
    PSN ID
    lsutigers19
    Items Final Fantasy XIIIFinal Fantasy XCall of Duty: Black OPSDragon Ball ZPS3 SlimGoogle Chrome
    500gb isn't that bad IMO
    Do you usually play 10 or more games at once?
    I'd maybe do 3.
    Just delete the ones you are no longer using and if you do use them again later it won't really matter as it installs while you are playing.
    Yeah you make a good point. I didn't think about the fact that installing is going on on the background so deleting data isn't really that bad.

Currently Playing: ​ Watch Dogs
    Currently Waiting For: ​​ ​Destiny

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by Beast of Bourbon View Post
    Since you can't play videos or even mp3s on the ps4 anyway 500gb might just be enough

Tapatalkin'
    What?! no video? I knew about mp3 which I'm fine with but no video? this is bs. And now they expect us to have 40-50gb installs on each game? XBone is starting to sound more appealing now.

Super Moderator
    PSN ID
    lsutigers19
    Items Final Fantasy XIIIFinal Fantasy XCall of Duty: Black OPSDragon Ball ZPS3 SlimGoogle Chrome
    Quote Originally Posted by daLa View Post
    What?! no video? I knew about mp3 which I'm fine with but no video? this is bs. And now they expect us to have 40-50gb installs on each game? XBone is starting to sound more appealing now.
    PS4 only does gaming.

Super Carlton
    PSN ID
    JMEWalterblack
    Items PS3 Slim360 SlimiPhone 4 BlackGears of WarGoogle ChromeManchester UnitedUser name style
    500gb isn't that bad IMO
    Do you usually play 10 or more games at once?
    I'd maybe do 3.
    Just delete the ones you are no longer using and if you do use them again later it won't really matter as it installs while you are playing.
    Shame on me!

Thanks to Final for the sick sig!

Supreme Veteran
    PSN ID
    MagicManGSC
    Quote Originally Posted by unicron7 View Post
    It's called cacheing. The data it loads is not permanent.
    Has Sony ever said that? It seems everyone is just assuming.

The data is put on the HDD over multiple hours. It wouldn't make sense to re-do that every time you insert the game. The data is definitely permanent until you delete it.
    Last edited by Ixion; 11-06-2013 at 19:28.

PSU Live Streamer
    Quote Originally Posted by Ixion View Post
    Has Sony ever said that? It seems everyone is just assuming.

The data is put on the HDD over multiple hours. It wouldn't make sense to re-do that every time you insert the game. The data is definitely permanent until you delete it.
    Well Shuhei claimed the games are caching and not installing. Cached data is typically not permanent. So yes assumptions are definitely being made, but with good reason. That said, I'm still reserving opinion on the matter till I see it in action.

Come find me on Twitch.tv!

Dedicated Member
    Items User name style
    Quote Originally Posted by three3-times View Post
    Given us a 1tb HDD as standard, 500gigs isnt nowhere near enough......i know can swap out the HDD myself, but there is no way in hell im opening up my ps4!!
    I know your trolling because of Xbox 720 and you need to throw some FUD about, but in case you mislead some of the newer members, Listen up.

PS4 been designed to make hard drive change/replacement piss easy, it is within warranty terms, it's a console feature. You don't "open up" anything, you lift up the glossy part as shown by the computerbild guys, and swap drives with newer bigger one.

The game likely installs about 10gb then requires other space for caching while you play. After you finish playing, it wipes that hard disk and overwrites the old cache with the next game disk data you insert. but even if it didn't so what?

Xbox one also only has 500gb. Also you literally have to dismantle the whole console voiding your warranty completely. This is a real travesty. We all know with Microsoft hardware. The warranty is 66% likely to require redeeming. On Xbox EVERY game must be installed completely to the hard drive, always.
    You can't be serious with the 30 megabyte signature... ~ Staff

Maths is biased! It keeps telling me the PS4 is 50% more powerful than XboxOne!
    Great song, should have more views :'(

SHIMAASAAAANIIII!!!!!
    http://i.imgur.com/bP50xuM.png

Power Member
    Items User name style
    Install the entire game every time you play?
    I really doubt the hdd cache works like that, at all.

BTW, no where in the Gamasutra interview does Cerny state it gets deleted, or that it some sort of cache.

I read it as it will copy to you hdd, stay there until such time as you decide to delete it.

I really don't have an issue with that, and its far more preferable than trying to install the game ever time you play it.
    Last edited by mynd; 11-06-2013 at 20:02.
    I am no longer participating in these forums, I wish all of you on the PSU Forums the best for the future.

Legend
    PSN ID
    F34RTEHR34PER
    Items BullySteamGran Turismo 5LiverpoolAppleJoker (limited ICON)Naughty DogMaster ChiefAssassins Creed EzioGears of WarHeavy RainDiablo III
    It will "stream load" the data on the hdd while you play. Until someone officially says it's caching and the data will be removed when you remove the disc, and every time you put it in it caches that data, then it reasonable to say that the data is just being "installed" in the background while playing.

If the system was caching all that data every time you played it, the HDD would take a beating.

PSU Live Streamer
    Quote Originally Posted by F34R View Post
    It will "stream load" the data on the hdd while you play. Until someone officially says it's caching and the data will be removed when you remove the disc, and every time you put it in it caches that data, then it reasonable to say that the data is just being "installed" in the background while playing.

If the system was caching all that data every time you played it, the HDD would take a beating.
    Yea I agree with you. Which is why I'm waiting to see it in action before I speak much on the topic.

Come find me on Twitch.tv!

Superior Member
    PSN ID
    Carla_Birch-USA
    Quote Originally Posted by Malt View Post
    I wouldn't be so sure, my sky+ HD box has been recording every damn soap opera and crappy drama series since we got it, it still works OK.. I haven't even had to reformat it..
    Plus you got 30-60 min of rewind what means the HDD is recording all the time the box is on and same here had it years and years and still fine.

18. Likes Malt likes this post
    Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by ps3freak18 View Post
    PS4 only does gaming.
    Then it sucks a bit, sure I want a PS4 for gaming but do they really need to kill off media playing? should have discard the garbage feature that is recording videos and uploading, nobody cares about it, give us media playback with MKV support mofos!

Super Moderator
    PSN ID
    lsutigers19
    Then it sucks a bit, sure I want a PS4 for gaming but do they really need to kill off media playing? should have discard the garbage feature that is recording videos and uploading, nobody cares about it, give us media playback with MKV support mofos!
    I guess all the mass $#@!ing about the media focus of the X1 backfired for PS4. Lol

Apprentice

You can't put music or movies on your HDD so worry no more that extra space is for cache game installs. Yay. Lol

Elite Guru
    PSN ID
    TAZ427
    That's your opinion. My opinion is nobody gives a $#@! about having media playback support on a game console, especially of MKV's, as most have multiple devices which can do just that, but to add live streaming and video capture that's a much more desired feature. And they would have been major league shot down not having it, while the XB1 has it.

That said, the no MP3's is obviously a ploy to get Music Unlimited subscriptions. Personally I can give a $#@! less, I can count with my pinky finger of my left hand how many times I played an MP3 on my PS3.

Everyone has a different opinion, but the reality is that this was limited to a very small segment of the PS3 community that made use of uploading video's and using it for playback.

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by TAZ427 View Post
    That's your opinion. My opinion is nobody gives a $#@! about having media playback support on a game console, especially of MKV's, as most have multiple devices which can do just that, but to add live streaming and video capture that's a much more desired feature. And they would have been major league shot down not having it, while the XB1 has it.

That said, the no MP3's is obviously a ploy to get Music Unlimited subscriptions. Personally I can give a $#@! less, I can count with my pinky finger of my left hand how many times I played an MP3 on my PS3.

Everyone has a different opinion, but the reality is that this was limited to a very small segment of the PS3 community that made use of uploading video's and using it for playback.
    True man, to each his own that's for sure and I know opinion will vary from person cause I sincerely couldn't give 1 $#@! about game recording and uploading, it's not like I'm either going to waste my time watching other's people videos of them playing a game unless it's a review before the game has been release so to me it's useless but yeah we have to make do with what they're giving us.

Ultimate Veteran
    There is no mandatory full game install.if u wanna u can.

PSN ID
    l-Loui2-l
    Quote Originally Posted by Syphon_Filter View Post
    I deleted my old thread as someone said its double. Iam confused about what is going on. I just got my copy of Killzone Shadow Fall and in the back of the cover it says 45GB is required. My friend is telling me that we need to install the game which is 45GB. But I don't get it. Since we have the game on a blu ray disc that can hold up to 50GB of space. Why do we need to intsall 45GB from the disc?
    According to Shuhei Yoshida the PS4 needs 50GB (Or less if specified) for caching. What this means is the game installs in the background as you play and is later rewritten for another game.

Everyone is going crazy because every game so far has these "install" requirements and people are assuming they need to sacrifice space from HDD to play.

Super Carlton
    PSN ID
    JMEWalterblack
    Items PS3 Slim360 SlimiPhone 4 BlackGears of WarGoogle ChromeManchester UnitedUser name style
    Stay on topic please lads

33x

Thanks to Final for the sick sig!

Thread Information