Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst ... 2
Results 26 to 38 of 38

Thread: Help! TV!

  1. #26
    Administrator
    Brandon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Age
    30
    Posts
    12,234
    Rep Power
    127
    Points
    120,866 (18,076 Banked)
    Items Ghost in the ShellTidusLightningBruce LeeAppleUser name style
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!

    Help! TV!

    $400 can buy a lot of TV these days.

    Also, I hope that wasn't referring to me. I never brought up plasmas to begin with.
    "The biggest adversary in our life is ourselves. We are what we are, in a sense, because of the dominating thoughts we allow to gather in our head. All concepts of self-improvement, all actions and paths we take, relate solely to our abstract image of ourselves. Life is limited only by how we really see ourselves and feel about our being. A great deal of pure self-knowledge and inner understanding allows us to lay an all-important foundation for the structure of our life from which we can perceive and take the right avenues.

  2. #27
    Ultimate Veteran
    mickice's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Australia, In a Kangaroo's pouch.
    Age
    27
    Posts
    21,995
    Rep Power
    129
    Points
    22,520 (40,000 Banked)
    Items PlayStationPS3 Slim
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    The difference between a high end LCD and a low end isn't far off while with Plasma's the high ends are good, the low ends are terrible.
    If you have the cash buy the most expensive plasma on the market, you'll also be paying 3x the price in power.

    LCD tech has come along way, apart from full black screens being slightly less than full black the rest to me looks great.
    Scenes with small black spots or black detailing looks dark and rich to me.

    - Symmetrical thumb sticks for life -

  3. #28
    Forum Sage
    MATRIX 2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    D.C.
    Posts
    7,984
    Rep Power
    112
    Points
    43,240 (0 Banked)
    Quote Originally Posted by PBM View Post
    That's your opinion, yes. I've seen much better picture quality on Sony/Samsung/Panasonic TVs than any Vizio I've seen and it doesn't take 2 grand to do so. Also, I don't know why you keep saying "2 grand" or more. The only plasmas I've seen that cost that much are the 60-65" 3D TVs. I don't know where you're shopping.
    No, that's straight from cnet.

  4. #29
    Administrator
    Brandon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Age
    30
    Posts
    12,234
    Rep Power
    127
    Points
    120,866 (18,076 Banked)
    Items Ghost in the ShellTidusLightningBruce LeeAppleUser name style
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!

    Help! TV!

    Quote Originally Posted by MATRIX 2 View Post
    No, that's straight from cnet.
    Yes... the most expensive plasma TVs available are in that price range... which is irrelevant. Might as well discuss 20 grand 4K TVs. This was a discussion you started all by yourself. The original topic was budget TVs and you chimed in with "well you might as well spend a crapload". The topic is still budget TVs. We came to this point of discussion because you completely changed the topic. Let's get back to the topic, please. This is bordering on ridiculous.
    "The biggest adversary in our life is ourselves. We are what we are, in a sense, because of the dominating thoughts we allow to gather in our head. All concepts of self-improvement, all actions and paths we take, relate solely to our abstract image of ourselves. Life is limited only by how we really see ourselves and feel about our being. A great deal of pure self-knowledge and inner understanding allows us to lay an all-important foundation for the structure of our life from which we can perceive and take the right avenues.

  5. #30
    Forum Sage
    MATRIX 2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    D.C.
    Posts
    7,984
    Rep Power
    112
    Points
    43,240 (0 Banked)
    Quote Originally Posted by PBM View Post
    Yes... the most expensive plasma TVs available are in that price range... which is irrelevant. Might as well discuss 20 grand 4K TVs. This was a discussion you started all by yourself. The original topic was budget TVs and you chimed in with "well you might as well spend a crapload". The topic is still budget TVs. We came to this point of discussion because you completely changed the topic. Let's get back to the topic, please. This is bordering on ridiculous.
    Dude, your reading comprehension is totally off today.

    OP asked for tv recommendations.

    I provided one that fit his needs/size/price requirements.

    You then chimed in saying vizio is ok, but you would rather spend more to get something better. (you were referring to LCD's)

    I then responded, saying that if an individual was going to spend the money to get a LCD tv significantly better (overall) than that Vizio, they would have to spend near $2000 dollars to do so. Which is true if you look at the CNET reviews. I also said is that if you are willing to spend anywhere near 2k for a tv (in this case, a high end lcd) you would be better off with a plasma. Which can be had for as little as ~$1000 for a decent midrange model around 50 inches.

    I never suggested that the op spend 2k on a tv (any kind, lcd or plasma). I simply stated that there are no lcd tv's that are significantly better than the vizio that are anywhere near its price range (say up to ~1k). That you would need to spend around 2k for such an lcd. And that if you were willing to spend 2k on an lcd, you would be better off with a plasma display.


    I don't know how to make my point any clearer, but it is clear that you have not been comprehending my posts properly.

  6. #31
    Administrator
    Brandon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Age
    30
    Posts
    12,234
    Rep Power
    127
    Points
    120,866 (18,076 Banked)
    Items Ghost in the ShellTidusLightningBruce LeeAppleUser name style
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    I never said anything about LCDs, I was talking about a brand of TVs... Vizio. I wasn't taking about LCDs or plasma.

    Clearly I'm not understanding you today, but I blame that on lack of sleep. I genuinely have not been getting your point... maybe I need to go take a nap... lol.

    If it's not a lack of comprehension I have, it's certainly a lack of something. Alzheimer's? 0_o I'm not getting any younger.
    "The biggest adversary in our life is ourselves. We are what we are, in a sense, because of the dominating thoughts we allow to gather in our head. All concepts of self-improvement, all actions and paths we take, relate solely to our abstract image of ourselves. Life is limited only by how we really see ourselves and feel about our being. A great deal of pure self-knowledge and inner understanding allows us to lay an all-important foundation for the structure of our life from which we can perceive and take the right avenues.

  7. #32
    Ultimate Veteran
    mickice's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Australia, In a Kangaroo's pouch.
    Age
    27
    Posts
    21,995
    Rep Power
    129
    Points
    22,520 (40,000 Banked)
    Items PlayStationPS3 Slim
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Haven't owned an LED, but LCD's are great and LED's are supposed to have brighter colours / better viewing angle.
    Try this: http://www.walmart.com/ip/Sony-KDL-4...-HDTV/23553492
    Review: http://www.digitaltrends.com/tv-revi...0r450a-review/
    And we are done

    - Symmetrical thumb sticks for life -

  8. #33
    Ultimate Veteran
    coolguy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    long island ny
    Age
    38
    Posts
    20,893
    Rep Power
    112
    Points
    29,062 (0 Banked)
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    dont buy LG get a samsung and if u have the room get a bigger tv because tvs get small over time.
    get like a 40 inch tv

  9. #34
    Superior Member
    Malt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    Darkest Wales
    PSN ID
    Skullomainia
    Age
    36
    Posts
    553
    Rep Power
    9
    Points
    7,731 (0 Banked)
    Quote Originally Posted by coolguy View Post
    dont buy LG get a samsung and if u have the room get a bigger tv because tvs get small over time.
    get like a 40 inch tv
    I have an 37" full HD LG, there's nothing wrong with the picture quality at all.. The bloody speakers rattle like a alcoholic in severe need of a drink with deep bass sounds but the picture is spot on! LG were making LCD screens for a lot of other makes at one point, not sure if that's still the case.. You are dead right about the screens seeming to get smaller over time too..

  10. #35
    Newbie

    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    8
    Rep Power
    0
    Points
    478 (0 Banked)
    its LED right? think its good to go with. when it comes to display, lg is the best.

  11. #36
    Forum Guru
    R_Mac_1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Corpus Christi, TX
    Age
    29
    Posts
    3,561
    Rep Power
    61
    Points
    7,077 (0 Banked)
    Quote Originally Posted by PBM View Post
    The best would be to have the option of switching back and forth between 60 and 120. A lot of TVs only have one set option... and that's horrible. I can't stand watching movies in 120 mode... it makes them look like a sped up BBC documentary or something.
    That effect isn't the refresh rate of the TV, which can't be changed. That's a smoothing effect most brands have under different names. Most, if not all, can turn the effect off. My TV has it but I keep it off because I also hate the soap opera look of it. That being said, I'd get 120hz if possible. Better motion handling which can help some of the blur you get with LCDs.

    I recently bought a Vizio M series, which I'm pretty happy with overall. I usually overlooked the Vizios, but the M series LED LCDs had good reviews and I liked the look in the store so I got it. It's a smart TV, has passive 3d (not sure if the smaller models do, though) and has 240hz (although I think it's really 120hz with some software BS to call it 240). It had a lot more features than any other TVs in it's price range. The only downside to the TV, which is something you find with most edge-lit LED LCDs, is uneven blacks on dark scenes and flashlighting on dark scenes with bright objects in the middle.


  12. #37
    Administrator
    Brandon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Age
    30
    Posts
    12,234
    Rep Power
    127
    Points
    120,866 (18,076 Banked)
    Items Ghost in the ShellTidusLightningBruce LeeAppleUser name style
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Whatever it is... it's obnoxious. Some TVs do not have the option of turning it off. My aunt has a TV like this and I refuse to watch movies at her house because of it. Gives me a headache.
    "The biggest adversary in our life is ourselves. We are what we are, in a sense, because of the dominating thoughts we allow to gather in our head. All concepts of self-improvement, all actions and paths we take, relate solely to our abstract image of ourselves. Life is limited only by how we really see ourselves and feel about our being. A great deal of pure self-knowledge and inner understanding allows us to lay an all-important foundation for the structure of our life from which we can perceive and take the right avenues.

  13. #38
    Newbie

    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Posts
    3
    Rep Power
    0
    Points
    371 (0 Banked)
    That's a georgeous TV, not bad at all

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
vBCredits II Deluxe v2.1.0 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2010-2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.