Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst ... 2 ... LastLast
    Master Guru
    Items FuturamaGoogle ChromeAmerican DadHalf-Life 2Battlefield 3User name style
    Quote Originally Posted by keefy View Post
    I didn't realise the pun until you posted.
    Me neither. Or whether in fact it was intentional?!?!??!

Post from my accidental duplicate thread.

Quote Originally Posted by meeeeee
    It's only a tiny bit. But I guess the deeper message is how much they respect their work, to just re-use something shows a massive lack of effort.

For shame IW, for shame.

Don't Steal. Don't Molest Little Children. Don't Deal Drugs.

Superior Member
    PSN ID
    thanatos144
    This is what I mean about FPS anymore.....Where is the originality ?

Superior Member

PSN ID
    martin_blank
    Devil's advocate: You're shipping five SKUs of the same game, two for platforms that have never had a COD game, a third that has had a COD game but for the most part a different principal development team working on it. You're developing those games to all street the same day for a publisher that "slipped" is not even in their vocabulary. The games are all the same core content but at least two of them -- PS4 and WiiU -- have extra features based upon the specific platform's unique features and not all those features are multiplayer-specific. Granted, you have spare teams working on the various platform versions, but that in itself can be a problem. You've got so many teams working on so many SKUs it's rolling hell coordinating all the work to assure the core content is the same.

So you reuse some assets to make date. Because if you don't make date you die. You can't even suggest to your publisher you won't make date or they'll kill a few of your team just to make sure you know you don't make date you die. You wind up reusing more assets than you normally would, not just textures and the like but in-engine cutscene geometry. You hope nobody notices. But this is avid gaming married to the Internet. Someone somewhere will notice and everybody who bothers keeping tabs will find out. And you STILL take in a billion dollars in one day.

If I'm making that game I'll take the billion and take the slapped wrist or a punch in the face for recycling the sort of assets it's looks bad to recycle. Because I know by next year only a few will remember and next time I'll take 1.2 billion.

Superior Member
    PSN ID
    thanatos144
    Quote Originally Posted by sanfordmay View Post
    Devil's advocate: You're shipping five SKUs of the same game, two for platforms that have never had a COD game, a third that has had a COD game but for the most part a different principal development team working on it. You're developing those games to all street the same day for a publisher that "slipped" is not even in their vocabulary. The games are all the same core content but at least two of them -- PS4 and WiiU -- have extra features based upon the specific platform's unique features and not all those features are multiplayer-specific. Granted, you have spare teams working on the various platform versions, but that in itself can be a problem. You've got so many teams working on so many SKUs it's rolling hell coordinating all the work to assure the core content is the same.

So you reuse some assets to make date. Because if you don't make date you die. You can't even suggest to your publisher you won't make date or they'll kill a few of your team just to make sure you know you don't make date you die. You wind up reusing more assets than you normally would, not just textures and the like but in-engine cutscene geometry. You hope nobody notices. But this is avid gaming married to the Internet. Someone somewhere will notice and everybody who bothers keeping tabs will find out. And you STILL take in a billion dollars in one day.

If I'm making that game I'll take the billion and take the slapped wrist or a punch in the face for recycling the sort of assets it's looks bad to recycle. Because I know by next year only a few will remember and next time I'll take 1.2 billion.
    all would be logical is it wasn't for the fact that they do these things all the time in COD

5. Likes Shingo likes this post
    Superior Member

PSN ID
    martin_blank
    Quote Originally Posted by thanatos144 View Post
    all would be logical is it wasn't for the fact that they do these things all the time in COD
    But it's COD, not necessarily FPS titles in general. COD gets lumped in with FPS but let's face it, COD is really it's own genre. No, COD is really it's own MEDIUM. There are COD games and COD game clones, and then there's the other medium called video games.

Superior Member
    PSN ID
    thanatos144
    But it's COD, not necessarily FPS titles in general. COD gets lumped in with FPS but let's face it, COD is really it's own genre. No, COD is really it's own MEDIUM. There are COD games and COD game clones, and then there's the other medium called video games.
    You're kidding right? No games like COD ? So there is no first person shooters set in a millitary setting?

tapatalk post

Superior Member

PSN ID
    martin_blank
    You're kidding right? No games like COD ? So there is no first person shooters set in a millitary setting?

tapatalk post
    I'm joking. Sort of. There's some truth to it, though. COD is COD and it's a fairly distinct entity in gaming and they will not take a new path or try to innovate until revenue for the franchise starts appreciably slipping. And Activision has a habit of killing off, or "placing on hiatus, franchises so they stop earning, rather than trying to produce some original in the same series. Other military FPS, some of them, try to innovate or at least introduce a distinct style of gameplay. The ones that don't, in least in multiplayer, usually they merely mimic COD multiplayer. Often unabashedly.

Legend
    PSN ID
    F34RTEHR34PER
    Items BullySteamGran Turismo 5LiverpoolAppleJoker (limited ICON)Naughty DogMaster ChiefAssassins Creed EzioGears of WarHeavy RainDiablo III
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    It's taken two years to make this game, surely they shouldn't need to reuse stuff like this.

Superior Member

PSN ID
    martin_blank
    Quote Originally Posted by F34R View Post
    It's taken two years to make this game, surely they shouldn't need to reuse stuff like this.
    Absolutely need, no. Can get away with to spare some time, yes.

Administrator
    PSN ID
    rokushakubo
    Awards PSU+ Patriot
    $#@! Activision and IW. First cut scenes, now levels. Anyone who gave these punks money......smh

12. Likes daLa, Itachi likes this post
    Forum Sage
    PSN ID
    iwinulose042
    Items Final Fantasy XIII-2Final Fantasy XIIIFull Metal AlchemistDragon Ball ZNarutoDeath NoteNaughty DogLightningNoctisAssassins Creed EzioPS3 Slim
    ^Wow

Guess it makes sense how Ghost is the first COD to not have broken its predecessor's launch records

Super Carlton
    PSN ID
    JMEWalterblack
    Items PS3 Slim360 SlimiPhone 4 BlackGears of WarGoogle ChromeManchester UnitedUser name style
    why was this closed?!

Thanks to Final for the sick sig!

Master Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghost View Post
    $#@! Activision and IW. First cut scenes, now levels. Anyone who gave these punks money......smh

Oh dear.

Superior Member

PSN ID
    martin_blank
    Quote Originally Posted by three3-times View Post
    why was this closed?!
    By accident, we assume.

Super Carlton
    PSN ID
    JMEWalterblack
    Items PS3 Slim360 SlimiPhone 4 BlackGears of WarGoogle ChromeManchester UnitedUser name style
    ah well....ive re-opened it!

Thanks to Final for the sick sig!

18. Likes Malt likes this post
    Superior Member

PSN ID
    martin_blank
    Quote Originally Posted by three3-times View Post
    ah well....ive re-opened it!
    Good enough. But speaking of COD similarities, I got to saying the Silversun Pickups song Checkered Floor should be the COD theme song because there's always at least one map starting with MW with interiors floored in black and white checkered tile.

Praetor Illuminatus
    Call of Duty: Ghosts of Guitar Hero

Veteran
    Well if COD has been the same $#@!ty game since MW1, this doesn't strike me as odd or anything. They can do this also, I mean not to disrespect some of you but this game is aimed towards some of the dumbest gamers who don't actually care about real gaming all they want is the same thing over and over.
    Last edited by daLa; 11-10-2013 at 17:50. Reason: INTERNET GRAMMAR POLICE on my ass LOL

Superior Member

PSN ID
    martin_blank
    Quote Originally Posted by daLa View Post
    Well if COD has been the same $#@!ty game since MW1, this doesn't strike me as odd or anything. They can do this also, I mean not to disrespect some of you but this game is aimed towards some of the dumbest gamers which don't actually care about real gaming all they want is the same thing over and over.
    I love COD games. it's really abo $47:!473$27383$3'emsmjsej. Oh sorry about that garbled mess. I felt faint. I went and forgot to breathe again.

By the way, genius, it's dumbest gamers WHO, not dumbest gamers WHICH.

Veteran
    I love COD games. it's really abo $47:!473$27383$3'emsmjsej. Oh sorry about that garbled mess. I felt faint. I went and forgot to breathe again.

By the way, genius, it's dumbest gamers WHO, not dumbest gamers WHICH.
    Excuse my poor grammar skills, Internet Grammar Police officer, you butthurt? lol

Superior Member

PSN ID
    martin_blank
    Quote Originally Posted by daLa View Post
    Excuse my poor grammar skills, Internet Grammar Police officer, you butthurt? lol
    No. I don't care nor comment about how people use or abuse grammar on the Internet -- it's a casual medium. I make an exception when you employ that astoundingly bad grammar in a post explicitly describing fans of a certain sort of video game as dumb. Further, implying that you in eschewing such common gaming fare are smart, WHICH you ably demonstrated you likely are not.

What irks me about your post is that you really believe your own bull$#@!. You really believe that by definition COD franchise fans are dumb, certainly less intelligent than you, and lacking proper taste in games. That's fine if you want to try and make that case but you can at least bother which-hunting your baseless presumptions.

Superior Member
    PSN ID
    thanatos144
    If people like it then they like it I just don't get it. I never saw the attraction of Madden football games ether

tapatalk post

26. Likes sanfordmay likes this post
    Superior Member

PSN ID
    martin_blank
    If people like it then they like it I just don't get it. I never saw the attraction of Madden football games ether

tapatalk post
    Amen. I keep trying to like GTA games and I keep buying them to try and get it, but I keep, overall, hating them. But I don't think people who like GTA games are dumb. One of the brightest guys I know is a GTA maniac. We have a lot of other similar tastes, especially in books and film, even some other games. It's in the matter of GTA our tastes diverge. Wildly diverge. He's not dumb. I figure I'm not either. Hell, maybe I'm wrong. Maybe I've been dumb all these years and I just don't know it. Calling me dumb isn't going to make me smarter or "improve" my tastes in games, though.

Master Guru
    Posted this in blus epic thread about a week ago.

Quote Originally Posted by darky89 View Post
    A lot of people in the gaming world could do with seeing this.... in regards to 'hatin' on games they don't like.

29. Likes sanfordmay likes this post
    Elite Member
    Items User name style
    People are seriously getting this angry about 18 seconds of reused motion cap? Good god man. If this offends you, maybe you should re-evaluate what is important in your life.

Thread Information