Page 1 of 2 1 ... LastLast

Thread: i5 vs i7

Supreme Veteran
    Items Gran Turismo 5Michelle MarshDoomid SoftwareCommodore 64Metal Gear Solid
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!

i5 vs i7

I decided since Driveclub and other games are delayed until next year not to buy a PS4 at launch so instead I am thinking of using the money for upgrading my PC, mostly the CPU and motherboard.

This time I am not scrimping on the board like I have in the past, for which I paid a price later on when I wanted to upgrade certain things and add more hard drives. So I am thinking of the ASUS ROG Series MAXIMUS VI HERO which costs around 160 and has all sorts of nice features. No point buying a board worth more than the CPU.

For the CPU I am going Intel but cannot decide on i5 4670k or i7 4770k (Haswell 1150) obviously the i7 has more threading but is it really worth it? Is it noticeable in video games which is the primary point of this computer.

Is it me or has RAM gotten more expensive? Pretty sure I bought my 8GB RAM fro about 40 a couple years ago and now 4GB costs that much.
    I was going to buy 16GB but since its another 140+ I think it will stick with the current 8GB I have.
    Last edited by keefy; 11-06-2013 at 19:16.

Veteran
    Items Battlefield 3ArsenalDark Souls
    As far as I know an i7 provides very little in terms of gaming benefit over an i5. I say go with the i5 and use the cash you save on a few extra games

Dedicated Member

It's possible that the hyper-threading of the i7 may pay off in the future if more cores start being utilised due to the PS4/XB1.

PSU Technical Advisor
    PSN ID
    UK-Varsh
    Items User name style
    If I was a pure gamer I'd stick with the i5. Unless you're doing a lot of media editing or development work then having an i7 is pointless.

Administrator
    Items Ghost in the ShellTidusLightningBruce LeeAppleUser name style
    Quote Originally Posted by Varsh View Post
    If I was a pure gamer I'd stick with the i5. Unless you're doing a lot of media editing or development work then having an i7 is pointless.
    It's not pointless for games that are CPU-intensive.
    "The biggest adversary in our life is ourselves. We are what we are, in a sense, because of the dominating thoughts we allow to gather in our head. All concepts of self-improvement, all actions and paths we take, relate solely to our abstract image of ourselves. Life is limited only by how we really see ourselves and feel about our being. A great deal of pure self-knowledge and inner understanding allows us to lay an all-important foundation for the structure of our life from which we can perceive and take the right avenues.

Super Elite
    PSN ID
    AshSteHol
    Items User name style
    Quote Originally Posted by PBM View Post
    It's not pointless for games that are CPU-intensive.
    A high end i5 (like the one he posted) would eat through any game's CPU dependency easily.
    KING OF POP
    1958 - 2009

Administrator
    And an i7 even more so. The i5 would do fine, I'm not saying it wouldn't... but that doesn't mean the i7 won't give you better performance... because it will.
    "The biggest adversary in our life is ourselves. We are what we are, in a sense, because of the dominating thoughts we allow to gather in our head. All concepts of self-improvement, all actions and paths we take, relate solely to our abstract image of ourselves. Life is limited only by how we really see ourselves and feel about our being. A great deal of pure self-knowledge and inner understanding allows us to lay an all-important foundation for the structure of our life from which we can perceive and take the right avenues.

Forum Sage
    Quote Originally Posted by PBM View Post
    And an i7 even more so. The i5 would do fine, I'm not saying it wouldn't... but that doesn't mean the i7 won't give you better performance... because it will.
    Difference is negligible

http://www.anandtech.com/show/7189/c...september-2013

Administrator
    I didn't even look at the i7 in the OP. It would definitely be a waste of money, then. He can spend the difference on a better GPU, if anything.

PSU Technical Advisor
    PSN ID
    UK-Varsh
    Items User name style
    The thing is with games is that unless you're playing something like Civilization you're not going to see any difference at all. For me I've tried a top end i5 and the i7 I got for programmes like 3ds Max and other intensive CPU apps and the difference was MASSIVE, but in games there was zero difference.

It's the reason why I said that for gaming getting an i7 is pointless. Until the game engines start implementing on-the-fly multicore processing then getting anything more than a Quad Core is not worth it, especially with Hyper-threading.

Supreme Veteran
    I think I will go for the i5 4670k and spend the money saved on a Noctua NH D14 cooler. Seems like a beast, will have to measure my case to see if it fits first.

http://www.aria.co.uk/Products/Compo...roductId=56049

Total price would be 395 for CPU, motherboard and cooler.

Thanks for the help and info.
    Last edited by keefy; 11-06-2013 at 22:27.

Administrator
    When more devs begin fully utilizing these cores... we'll all be better off. >_>

Elite Sage
    Items AC/DCRolling StonesAtari 2600GTA CJBattlefield 3Final Fantasy VIIIFinal Fantasy VIINESSNESEvertonUser name style
    Depending on your Mobo you might have to go with Low Profile RAM if you use all 4 Dimm slots as the Cooler will cover the 1st Dimm slot

PSU Technical Advisor
    PSN ID
    UK-Varsh
    Items User name style
    You'll definitely need low profile RAM for that HSF, similar thing happened with my Arctic i20 HSF.

Elite Sage
    Items AC/DCRolling StonesAtari 2600GTA CJBattlefield 3Final Fantasy VIIIFinal Fantasy VIINESSNESEvertonUser name style
    Yep got Low Profile RAM in my PC too due to my Xigmatek Aegir cooler.

Supreme Veteran
    This is the RAM I already got and thinking of re-using, is it low profile?

http://www.corsair.com/cmx8gx3m2a1333c9.html

I will take some proper accurate measurements tomorrow when it is daylight. Noctua give details schematics of the cooler.

44mm clearance bottom of fan and the base of the cooler

http://www.noctua.at/pdf/infosheets/...tasheet_en.pdf
    Last edited by keefy; 11-06-2013 at 23:45.

Elite Sage
    yea they are Low Profile sticks

18. Likes keefy likes this post
    PSU Technical Advisor
    PSN ID
    UK-Varsh
    Items User name style
    Low profile RAM is when it's almost the same height with the heatsink on the RAM as it is without it, basically just a few MM taller. non-low profile RAM is when the heatsink just seems to be friggin' huge on top. Here's the RAM I use:

As you can see because the height is almost the same as without a heatsink it's "low profile" so you won't have a problem putting it underneath a CPU's HSF. Also to quench the myth on gaming RAM vs low profile difference, it's zilch, there is no difference so don't buy into the "gaming RAM" side of things, just get low latency low profile RAM and you'll be sorted. 8GB is what you should aim for.

20. Likes keefy likes this post
    Forum Sage
    Quote Originally Posted by keefy View Post
    This is the RAM I already got and thinking of re-using, is it low profile?

http://www.corsair.com/cmx8gx3m2a1333c9.html

I will take some proper accurate measurements tomorrow when it is daylight. Noctua give details schematics of the cooler.

44mm clearance bottom of fan and the base of the cooler

http://www.noctua.at/pdf/infosheets/...tasheet_en.pdf
    Mushkin makes good low profile ram.

Supreme Veteran
    I did the measurements and the Noctua NH D14 will fit but its going to be close because of the foam on the door panel.
    Then I saw this video which confirms what I was thinking.

http://youtu.be/G53WFwfWPOo?t=7m3s

Forum Sage
    Looking good Keefy. I was going to get the Noctua cooler but it was too big and would've meant removing the heatsink from my ram sticks plus it was heavy and I didn't want to put strain on my motherboard. So i ended up doing a custom loop

Supreme Veteran
    Just ordered some sound proofing for my case, it already has some but not in the roof an more is always better, I wan this to be as silent as possible.
    Nowhere locally has it so had to send off for it which means delivery added to price

http://www.scan.co.uk/products/acous...r-all-pc-cases

The scan website is horrendous to use and login to.

PSU Technical Advisor
    PSN ID
    UK-Varsh
    Items User name style
    You should've gone for an Antec P280, not only does it have oodles of space but it's seriously quiet!

Ultimate Veteran
    Items PlayStationPS3 Slim
    I have the i74770 with stock cooling that sucker gets hott, like 60c when converting video.
    I also have an i5 something 3.0GHZ and performance wise is just as snappy, games will run fine.

Go with the i5 and spend the difference on cooling.

- Symmetrical thumb sticks for life -

Supreme Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by Varsh View Post
    You should've gone for an Antec P280, not only does it have oodles of space but it's seriously quiet!
    I was eyeing that case up but at the time I didnt have 100 to spend on one.

Thread Information