Page 1 of 5 1 ... LastLast

Angry Boycott Music Unlimited Until Sony Restores Audio CD & MP3 Support to the PS4...

in a future update.

Sony recently revealed that the PS4 will NOT support audio CDs & MP3 in their PS4 FAQ here:
    http://blog.us.playstation.com/2013/...merica/#sect10

It appears that Sony has taken this step in order to force PS4 owners who wish to listen to music (on their PS4) - to pay for a Music Unlimited subscription.

I'm a current subscriber to Music Unlimited & I enjoy this service on my PS3 - however, I also have a large collection of audio CDs & MP3 files that I enjoy listening to on my PS3. It makes me very upset & angry (as a loyal Sony Playstation customer) to learn that the PS4 will not support audio CDs & MP3s. Therefore, I have canceled automatic renewal of my Music Unlimited subsbsription and I will not renew until Sony restores audio CD & MP3 support to the PS4.

THIS IS THE REASON THAT I'M CALLING ON ALL OF MY FELLOW SONY PLAYSTATION CUSTOMERS, WHO DON'T CURRENTLY HAVE A MUSIC UNLIMITED SUBSCRIPTION, TO NOT PURCHASE ONE UNTIL SONY OFFICIALLY REVERSES ITS POSITION AND RESTORES AUDIO CD & MP3 SUPPORT TO THE PS4. ALSO, I'M CALLING UPON ALL CURRENT MUSIC UNLIMITED SUBSCRIBERS TO CANCEL AUTOMATIC RENEWAL UNTIL SONY OFFICIALLY REVERSES ITS POSITION AND RESTORES AUDIO CD & MP3 SUPPORT TO THE PS4.

2. Likes AaronSOLDIER likes this post
    PSU Live Streamer
    Quote Originally Posted by GkarB5 View Post
    THIS IS THE REASON THAT I'M CALLING ON ALL OF MY FELLOW SONY PLAYSTATION CUSTOMERS, WHO DON'T CURRENTLY HAVE A MUSIC UNLIMITED SUBSCRIPTION, TO NOT PURCHASE ONE UNTIL SONY OFFICIALLY REVERSES ITS POSITION AND RESTORES AUDIO CD & MP3 SUPPORT TO THE PS4.

So you are telling the people who don't have it (probably because they have mp3s) to not buy it until sony restores mp3 support. But at that point the people that don't have it because they use mp3s....will just go on using mp3s.

ALSO, I'M CALLING UPON ALL CURRENT MUSIC UNLIMITED SUBSCRIBERS TO CANCEL AUTOMATIC RENEWAL UNTIL SONY OFFICIALLY REVERSES ITS POSITION AND RESTORES AUDIO CD & MP3 SUPPORT TO THE PS4.

Annnnd for the people that already enjoy the service and use it instead of mp3s. You are asking them to stop using the service even though they aren't affected by this anyway...

Hey man, I'm with you on the fact that Sony shouldn't have put the brakes on cd/mp3 support. But your methods are a bit....odd.
    Last edited by shepard; 11-06-2013 at 23:00.

Come find me on Twitch.tv!

4. Likes victorijapoosp likes this post
    Super Elite
    PSN ID
    vudumonkey25
    I agree with the mp3 support. But the CD support I can live without. I'd wouldn't mind it but I won't shed a tear for it.

I'm not sure about these things but I'm assuming the PS4 doesn't read CD's because it doesn't have the laser. Don't each of the 3 disk based formats require their own laser? If that is not the case then I don't understand why.
    What's the point in having an Internet connection if you're not using it to look up weird, ****ed-up pictures of dirty sex you'll never have yourself?

Supreme Veteran
    PSN ID
    MagicManGSC
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Yeah, I'm not subscribing to Music Unlimited either.

Both because I want to boycott it and because I don't want it. I just want to play the music I own.

7. Likes AaronSOLDIER likes this post
    Superior Member
    PSN ID
    Libra-75
    I never intended to get Music Unlimited in the first place. I won't pay for music I've already payed for and I doubt they have most of the music I like to listen to. So I just hope they add the mp3/cd support in some upcoming FW update.

Supreme Veteran
    Items Gran Turismo 5Michelle MarshDoomid SoftwareCommodore 64Metal Gear Solid
    I created free account for Unlimited but the streams are low quality even in HQ mode and the GUI interface is horrid, spotify is far better.

Do Blu ray lasers have the ability to read CDs by default and it is just a software implementation that is needed?
    Last edited by keefy; 11-06-2013 at 23:45.

PSN ID
    IceKnight77
    just use another device to play music while gaming

11. Likes Demi_God likes this post
    Elite Member

Items PlayStationSteam
    Eh...doesn't bug me. It will be nice if they bring MP3 support...till then I can just plug my iPod into my receiver.

13. Likes Demi_God likes this post
    Legend
    PSN ID
    F34RTEHR34PER
    Items BullySteamGran Turismo 5LiverpoolAppleJoker (limited ICON)Naughty DogMaster ChiefAssassins Creed EzioGears of WarHeavy RainDiablo III
    Quote Originally Posted by Ixion View Post
    Yeah, I'm not subscribing to Music Unlimited either.

Both because I want to boycott it and because I don't want it. I just want to play the music I own.
    It's not really boycotting it if you already don't support it lol.

But yeah, I didn't like the service so I've unsub'd a while back.

Apprentice
    PSN ID
    N0REGARD4LIFE
    Items PlayStationDiceBattlefield 3
    Why, oh why do people care about MP3 support on a VIDEO GAME CONSOLE? If you're not interested in being immersed in the game listening to the in game music and sounds, stick some ear buds in and shut up already.

16. Likes Hermes, victorijapoosp , MartyRules likes this post
    Super Elite
    PSN ID
    vudumonkey25
    Quote Originally Posted by N0REGARD4LIFE View Post
    Why, oh why do people care about MP3 support on a VIDEO GAME CONSOLE? If you're not interested in being immersed in the game listening to the in game music and sounds, stick some ear buds in and shut up already.

I liked to use my PS3 as a home media center. I loaded a ton of movies and MP3's onto it for ease and convenience. I never used them in game, but it was a great central hub. Ps3 was hooked up to the receiver so wham bam bingo =]
    What's the point in having an Internet connection if you're not using it to look up weird, ****ed-up pictures of dirty sex you'll never have yourself?

Extreme Poster
    PSN ID
    mistercrow
    I was never going to sub to it anyway.

Superior Member

PSN ID
    martin_blank
    Quote Originally Posted by keefy View Post
    I created free account for Unlimited but the streams are low quality even in HQ mode and the GUI interface is horrid, spotify is far better.

Do Blu ray lasers have the ability to read CDs by default and it is just a software implementation that is needed?
    DVD lasers can read audio CDs and PS4 reads DVDs. That doesn't mean the drive definitely can read audio CDs, there are other factors, but it probably can. So it's likely just software. All these formats have consortiums that own the software to decode them and you have to pay a licensing fee for every unit sold. For example, Microsoft is not part of the BD consortium, but Sony is and Sony will make a little money on every XOne sold. I think Sony is part of the audio CD consortium, too, but they'd still have to pay the fee per PS4 sold. So figure save the fee, consider low prevalence of CDs in the market these days, and, um, motivating people to subscribe to MU, that's why Sony made the call. I don't think XOne supports audio CD either but will support MP3. If that's the case and since there's been some pretty strong feedback about lack of MP3 support I expect Sony will patch MP3 support back in. I figure audio CD is gone for good, even if it is only a software patch and not a hardware issue like the drive won't do audio CD RPM or whatever.

Supreme Veteran
    Items Gran Turismo 5Michelle MarshDoomid SoftwareCommodore 64Metal Gear Solid
    I see
    Sony has been involved in every major optical disc format since and including CD.
    Last edited by keefy; 11-07-2013 at 01:00.

Dedicated Member
    Items User name style
    ARE YOU THE GHOST OF Greatspacekoaster? I was beginning to miss that guy.

I don't have music unlimited, i don't need it, i don't want it, I won't buy it. It's not a boycott. I have the choice not to buy and i have exercised my right.

If MP3s are so important to you, keep them on your ps3, or move them to your phone, mp3 player, usb stick, pc... I even saw a toaster that plays mp3s.

Use your PS4 for playing PS4 games and blurays, videos, netflix, lovefilm, iplayer. If an update enables MP3 playback... well then.. HALLELUJAH!

People who have music unlimited already are not affected because they enjoy subscribing and using the service, when should they cancel to make you feel better OP? Clearly they see the benefit.

I don't because I'm not a music addict.
    Last edited by victorijapoosp; 11-07-2013 at 01:51.
    You can't be serious with the 30 megabyte signature... ~ Staff

Maths is biased! It keeps telling me the PS4 is 50% more powerful than XboxOne!
    Great song, should have more views :'(

SHIMAASAAAANIIII!!!!!
    http://i.imgur.com/bP50xuM.png

Veteran
    There's no need to boycott it, they're just trying to boost sales for an unnecessary and non selling service, I mean who's retarded enough to subscribe to a service such as this? I mean I'm not trying to encourage piracy but there is Youtube and Google after all, why would I pay to hear TOP 40 songs that are played in the radio all day long and/or can easily listen to on Youtube. Most people don't give a single F about the quality since they download their super transcoded mp3s at 128kbps from any online youtube to mp3 converter.

Apprentice
    PSN ID
    HermesTheGod
    THIS + INFINITY!!

I'm almost certain most of you complaining have the same stolen music on your portable music device anyway

Supreme Veteran
    PSN ID
    MagicManGSC
    If you're not interested in being immersed in the game listening to the in game music and sounds, stick some ear buds in and shut up already.
    1) You can still hear the sound effects when using custom soundtracks. That's kind of the point. With the Xbox 360, your music automatically takes over as the game's background music. That's a lot more intuitive than all the solutions you guys keep bringing up.

2) Some games are better suited for custom soundtracks than others. Would I play Final Fantasy or The Last of Us with custom soundtracks? No. Would I play Dragonball Z, Need For Speed, Street Fighter, Call of Duty, etc, with custom soundtracks? Yes.

The whole point of having music on a gaming console is to easily use your music as the game's background music. People don't simply want to listen to music on their PS4. I'd like to do that too though.
    Last edited by Ixion; 11-07-2013 at 03:20.

25. Likes AaronSOLDIER , vudumonkey25 likes this post
    Elite Member
    PSN ID
    D3seeker
    Items PS3 Slim
    Quote Originally Posted by vudumonkey25 View Post
    I agree with the mp3 support. But the CD support I can live without. I'd wouldn't mind it but I won't shed a tear for it.

I'm not sure about these things but I'm assuming the PS4 doesn't read CD's because it doesn't have the laser. Don't each of the 3 disk based formats require their own laser? If that is not the case then I don't understand why.
    Reads DVDs.........
    Part of the Blu-ray Spec............

And I actually agree with this method. The issue here though I guess is that many of us are already on one side of the fence.

Superior Member
    PSN ID
    SkarEffect
    ill just turn on a radio and listen to music. This whole mp3 thing doesn't bother me.

Apprentice
    PSN ID
    vinny_pizza79
    So the playstation 4, it almost does everything.

What about games like MLB The Show? I like to use custom music and sounds, but with no MP3 support I guess that means customizable game sounds and walk up music is out the door. That stinks.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4

Dedicated Member
    Meh, this doesnt affect me. Plus Im pretty sure its a hardware issue, not being able to read cds..
    Six Years With PSU!~ Favourite Games of all Time~ Smash Bros, Spyro, GTA series and Elder Scrolls Series
    Add me on PSN FOXY007 OR Steam psn_foxy007
    My Hardware~ Sony Bravia 240hz 3D 40".. Ps3 Slim250gig and Sony Bravia Surround Sound 5.1
    PC- i7 3930k|gtx670|8g ram|2T HDD|Bluray disc drive

Apprentice
    PSN ID
    N0REGARD4LIFE
    Items PlayStationDiceBattlefield 3
    I guess I'm just old school. If I wanna play games, I'll use my PS4. If I wanna listen to music, I'll use my iPod. I just don't get some people. This is a GAME CONSOLE. It plays games. Those games contain sound effects and music. Don't like the music in the game? Turn it down, or like I said above, stick in some ear buds and be done with it. I don't think I've ever said "oh, let's listen to some Godsmack while I play Gran Turismo". To each their own though, but I hate how people feel they are entitled to something. Should I whine and start a thread about how my tv doesn't make waffles? Some people....

Superior Member
    PSN ID
    TEST SUBJECT 83
    Ummm?
    I just turn on my Stereo or my PC.

Apprentice

Good, to hell with the Music Unlimited BS have already got real purchased music and don't listen to the mainstream crap that will be on there.

Thread Information