Page 1 of 3 1 ... LastLast
    Legend
    PSN ID
    F34RTEHR34PER
    Items BullySteamGran Turismo 5LiverpoolAppleJoker (limited ICON)Naughty DogMaster ChiefAssassins Creed EzioGears of WarHeavy RainDiablo III
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!

Citizen kills robbers. Families of robbers want charges pressed LOL

http://readingeagle.com/article.aspx?id=518160

Enjoy:

It began as the robbery of a city convenience store, and ended when a private citizen shot and killed the two robbers Monday, authorities said.

"These two men chose this store as their prize for the day, and it didn't work out very well," Berks County District Attorney John T. Adams said at a press conference Monday night.

Adams said he doesn't expect criminal charges to be filed against the man who shot the two robbers. Adams said the man, whom he described as a "concerned citizen," had a weapons permit and was within his legal rights to shoot the robbers.

The man, whose identity has yet to be released, was leaving a nearby apartment building around 2 p.m. Monday when he saw the clerk at Krick's Korner at Ninth and Exeter streets being robbed at gunpoint by two masked men, Adams said.

The man decided to wait outside the store until the robbers exited through the front door, and then shot both men once each in the chest area after being threatened by them, Adams said.

The robbers drew their guns on the concerned citizen before being shot, Adams said.

"He told these individuals to stop, and 'I'm calling the police,' and that's when these individuals drew their guns, and there was a scuffle," Adams said during a press conference Monday night. "He used deadly force before deadly force may have been used on him."

"I think that this is an incident where the concerned citizen acted justifiably under the law," Adams said.

Adams said the man is a Berks County resident who works in the neighborhood, and is also a friend of the store owner.

"He came outside and heard the clerk and knew something was wrong," said Reading police Sgt. John M. Solecki.

Police have not yet identified the two robbers.

One, wearing black sweat pants, a red sweat suit-type jacket and a tan mask, fell dead in a crosswalk just outside the front door of the store. The second, dressed in all black and still wearing a mask, ran about 20 feet south on Moss Street before collapsing in the street.

According to police, the robbers entered Krick's Korner, pointed guns at the store owner and demanded cash. The robbers walked into the store with their handguns drawn, Adams said, and then proceeded to terrorize the store owner before stealing money, cigarettes and lottery tickets.

Krick's Korner has been robbed at least twice over the past several years, police said.

Monday's robbery was captured on surveillance video.

Adams added that the police department is investigating the robbers' possible involvement in prior robberies. Reading police said they're also hoping to identity a third person who drove the robbers to the store.

Carmella Chipperfield, who lives nearby, said robberies are common at the store and she sympathizes with the store's owner.

"That poor man," she said, referring to the owner. "He's very nice and he gets robbed a lot. He's just trying to make a living and this happens."

Chipperfield said her son was visiting her and ran outside when he heard what he thought were shots, and then heard sirens.

"He told me someone was walking into the store and he shot those two men who were robbing the place," Chipperfield said.

Carl Gottshall of Mount Penn said he was making a delivery on Kutztown Road about a half-block from the corner when he and his co-workers heard several shots ring out.

"We ran down and saw the guys laying in the street," Gottshall said. "Then all the cops and ambulances started arriving."

The first officers on the scene called the coroner's office after paramedics determined the two men were dead.

Adams said the man who shot the robbers is concerned for his safety and has been offered protection and relocation services by the Reading Police Department.

"He was put in a situation that none of us want to be put in," Adams said.

FAMILY WANTS CHARGES PRESSED:

http://m.wfmz.com/families-want-just...z/-/index.html

READING, Pa. - Family members of the two masked men shot to death after allegedly robbing a store in Reading spoke out Tuesday.
    "It's not fair," said Virginia Medina, mother of 24-year-old William Medina, who police said robbed Krick's Korner store alongside 18-year-old Robert De Carr on Monday.
    The two men were shot and killed by a private citizen while leaving the store, and family members want to see charges pressed.
    "[William] had no right to lose his life over something that man could have called the police for," said Medina. "He took the law into his own hands and walked away scot-free."
    "How about if people just start running around here, policing the city on their own? How much worse is it going to get?" said Peter Ratel, Medina's cousin.
    The family members said they are hurt by comments suggesting the alleged robbers were "thugs."
    According to Medina, William was "no big hard criminal" and was rather a family-man who loved his young daughter.
    Robert De Carr was described similarly by his sister, Taylor De Carr.
    "My brother was a good kid," she told 69 News.

Super Moderator
    PSN ID
    admartian
    Items ArsenalVitaUser name styleSteamPS3 Slim
    Well don't rob others you idiots. Easy.
    I am the oncoming storm.

Legend
    PSN ID
    F34RTEHR34PER
    Items BullySteamGran Turismo 5LiverpoolAppleJoker (limited ICON)Naughty DogMaster ChiefAssassins Creed EzioGears of WarHeavy RainDiablo III
    Quote Originally Posted by admartian View Post
    Well don't rob others you idiots. Easy.
    They won't anymore...

4. Likes Admartian likes this post
    Super Moderator
    PSN ID
    admartian
    Seriously though, if you're gonna rob a bank, AND pull a gun out, expect to be shot. It's not like the guy just thought the two robbers only looked like they were about to rob a bank, and not actually in the act of (as well as being armed and brandishing it) doing so. If that were the case, then it can be argued that the other guy (vigilante) was just jumping top conclusions.

But no.
    I am the oncoming storm.

Legend
    PSN ID
    F34RTEHR34PER
    Seriously though, if you're gonna rob a bank, AND pull a gun out, expect to be shot. It's not like the guy just thought the two robbers only looked like they were about to rob a bank, and not actually in the act of (as well as being armed and brandishing it) doing so. If that were the case, then it can be argued that the other guy (vigilante) was just jumping top conclusions.

But no.
    Exactly lol. It's kinda freakin' hilarious that the family wants charges against the citizen lol. Just makes me "ROFL" literally.

Valar Morghulis
    PSN ID
    SerinousTSE
    Items PS3 FatVitaPS3 Slim
    Hilarious $#@! lol

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Superior Member
    PSN ID
    JDizzleNO1
    Items Diablo IIIMetallicaUser name styleDark Souls CoverDemons Souls CoverPS3 Fat
    only in this country would something like this even be thought of. those robbers got what they deserved

Valar Morghulis
    PSN ID
    SerinousTSE
    Items PS3 FatVitaPS3 Slim
    Quote Originally Posted by JDizzleNO1 View Post
    only in this country would something like this even be thought of. those robbers got what they deserved
    Lol my thoughts exactly

Super Moderator
    PSN ID
    admartian
    I wouldn't say that.

We don't have guns, and you can't even swing a golf club/cricket bat at a home invader without you thinking you might get in trouble at the back of your mind.

It's BS.

At least in that article, the DA is saying that the guy won't get in trouble. Not sure sure if he'll be as lucky here (say if he killed 2 home invaders with a bat) if that happened.
    I am the oncoming storm.

Administrator
    Items Ghost in the ShellTidusLightningBruce LeeAppleUser name style
    'Murica!

Seriously, this is pathetic. Yes, it sucks that they were shot, but they had it coming. You can't expect not to get shot when holding people at gunpoint. <__<
    Last edited by Brandon; 11-07-2013 at 03:46.
    "The biggest adversary in our life is ourselves. We are what we are, in a sense, because of the dominating thoughts we allow to gather in our head. All concepts of self-improvement, all actions and paths we take, relate solely to our abstract image of ourselves. Life is limited only by how we really see ourselves and feel about our being. A great deal of pure self-knowledge and inner understanding allows us to lay an all-important foundation for the structure of our life from which we can perceive and take the right avenues.”

Forum Elder
    PSN ID
    GreatnessRD
    Items User name style
    You live by the hammer, you may die by the same fate. Shame they probably died over $200 and some donuts, but that's what they chose and the cards they were dealt frauded them.

$Greatness$ Awaits™

13. Likes Ezekiel likes this post
    Forum Sage
    PSN ID
    iwinulose042
    Items Final Fantasy XIII-2Final Fantasy XIIIFull Metal AlchemistDragon Ball ZNarutoDeath NoteNaughty DogLightningNoctisAssassins Creed EzioPS3 Slim
    I....actually kinda agree with the mother. Its strange I know but thinking from a parent's perspective I kinda agree

The person doing the robbery must understand and accept the risks of it, "is some x amount of money worth my life?"
    On the other hand, if no one was hurt during the robbery, I rather have my hypothetical son jailed or something rather than shot for stealing some nutella or whatever. After all who gets to judge if because of one bad call/foolish mistake a person deserves to be put down?

I can't really blame the guy for acting in self defense either. Am too conflicted about this :/

Oh and *obligatory 'murica gun stuff here*

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by Itachi View Post
    I....actually kinda agree with the mother. Its strange I know but thinking from a parent's perspective I kinda agree

The person doing the robbery must understand and accept the risks of it, "is some x amount of money worth my life?"
    On the other hand, if no one was hurt during the robbery, I rather have my hypothetical son jailed or something rather than shot for stealing some nutella or whatever. After all who gets to judge if because of one bad call/foolish mistake a person deserves to be put down?

I can't really blame the guy for acting in self defense either. Am too conflicted about this :/

Oh and *obligatory 'murica gun stuff here*
    They're idiots. They pulled their guns and got shot in the process. It could've been a kill or be killed situation. As a parent... of course I would feel utterly horrible that my kids were killed... and even worse that they died doing something so stupid... would make me think I failed as a parent. Any normal parent would. That doesn't justify their idiotic behavior... nor would it make me try and press charges for the beyond stupid actions of my children. "I can't believe you shot my sons when they pulled a gun on you! I'm pressing charges!"

It sucks they were killed... but they could've been the ones that did the killing. It was a grim situation no matter how you look at it.
    "The biggest adversary in our life is ourselves. We are what we are, in a sense, because of the dominating thoughts we allow to gather in our head. All concepts of self-improvement, all actions and paths we take, relate solely to our abstract image of ourselves. Life is limited only by how we really see ourselves and feel about our being. A great deal of pure self-knowledge and inner understanding allows us to lay an all-important foundation for the structure of our life from which we can perceive and take the right avenues.”

16. Likes JDizzleNO1 likes this post
    Superior Member
    PSN ID
    JDizzleNO1
    Items Diablo IIIMetallicaUser name styleDark Souls CoverDemons Souls CoverPS3 Fat
    I wouldn't say that.

We don't have guns, and you can't even swing a golf club/cricket bat at a home invader without you thinking you might get in trouble at the back of your mind.

It's BS.

At least in that article, the DA is saying that the guy won't get in trouble. Not sure sure if he'll be as lucky here (say if he killed 2 home invaders with a bat) if that happened.
    and you are right on this aspect too, you get invaded in your home and YOU could get into trouble.

Administrator
    I'm glad for our self defense home invasion laws in America. If you invade my home and I feel you are threatening me or my family's life... you have the right to die. People still break into homes, regardless of this law. :/

19. Likes Admartian likes this post
    Legend
    PSN ID
    F34RTEHR34PER
    Quote Originally Posted by PBM View Post
    They're idiots. They pulled their guns and got shot in the process. It could've been a kill or be killed situation. As a parent... of course I would feel utterly horrible that my kids were killed... and even worse that they died doing something so stupid... would make me think I failed as a parent. Any normal parent would. That doesn't justify their idiotic behavior... nor would it make me try and press charges for the beyond stupid actions of my children. "I can't believe you shot my sons when they pulled a gun on you! I'm pressing charges!"

It sucks they were killed... but they could've been the ones that did the killing. It was a grim situation no matter how you look at it.
    Not at all. It's not grim from my perspective.

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by F34R View Post
    Not at all. It's not grim from my perspective.
    I just find all death grim... even if it's deserved.

Superior Member
    PSN ID
    JDizzleNO1
    I'm glad for our self defense home invasion laws in America. If you invade my home and I feel you are threatening me or my family's life... you have the right to die. People still break into homes, regardless of this law. :/
    exactly! although idk if its just ohios laws or every state but i heard from numerous people they have to be IN your home for you to legally do anything about it, but if they are on your property or yard you DON'T have the right to harm them....of course you can just drag the body inside

Forum Sage
    If only it was that straightforward.

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by MATRIX 2 View Post
    If only it was that straightforward.
    It is. But it's lawyers that make it all screwy.

Forum Sage
    It is. But it's lawyers that make it all screwy.
    Not just the lawyers but the politicians.

http://misguidedchildren.com/justice...ed-with-murder

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by MATRIX 2 View Post
    Not just the lawyers but the politicians.

http://misguidedchildren.com/justice...ed-with-murder
    Remind me never to move to Maryland.

Forum Sage
    Remind me never to move to Maryland.
    You can begin by thanking this guy:

remember the face, you will likely see it again in 2016.

Legend
    PSN ID
    F34RTEHR34PER
    I just find all death grim... even if it's deserved.
    That's where we differ. If someone dies because they were putting others in harms way, I wouldn't blink an eye.
    exactly! although idk if its just ohios laws or every state but i heard from numerous people they have to be IN your home for you to legally do anything about it, but if they are on your property or yard you DON'T have the right to harm them....of course you can just drag the body inside
    If someone is in my yard, and says they are going to kill me, and starts walking towards my door, and I am in the house; they are as good as dead. I put my life and my family's life in the grand scheme of it all. Our lives are more important than trying to determine whether we will be safe according to something being legal or illegal.

29. Likes Admartian , JDizzleNO1 likes this post
    Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by F34R View Post
    That's where we differ. If someone dies because they were putting others in harms way, I wouldn't blink an eye.
    I used to be that way... dunno what changed.

If someone is in my yard, and says they are going to kill me, and starts walking towards my door, and I am in the house; they are as good as dead. I put my life and my family's life in the grand scheme of it all. Our lives are more important than trying to determine whether we will be safe according to something being legal or illegal.
    Agreed.

Thread Information