Page 1 of 2 1 ... LastLast
    PSU Live Streamer

Youtube's plan to cleanup the comment section has begun....are you ready?

source

It's no secret that YouTube comment sections are often dismal corners of the Internet, where anonymous posters disparage, defame, and diss anyone or anything they can find.

YouTube has been working over the past year to cleanup these shadowy sections of its Web site. And now, the day has come that commenting on YouTube, as we know it, will change.

The online video service announced Wednesday that all users will begin seeing site-wide changes. The main gist of these changes is that comments will now be sorted so that users will see prioritized posts based on community-focused commenters and people in their Google+ circles. Before now, YouTube comments were simply sorted by the most recent post.

"Let's say you're enjoying Lindsey Stirling or Epic Rap Battles' latest video and want to join in the conversation," YouTube wrote in a blog post. "Would you rather see comments from people you care about (including Lindsey or ERB themselves), or just whoever in the world was last to post?"

Google began rolling out changes to its comment sections to limited users in September. This new system, which is powered by Google+ and was developed in collaboration between the YouTube and Google+ teams, uses three main factors to determine which comments are relevant: community engagement by the commenter, up-votes for a particular comment, and commenter reputation.

By the same measure, those users flagged for spam or abuse could have their comments buried; and, celebrities who have strong Google+ reputations could be boosted above others.

The revamped commenting system also provides several new tools for moderation. These tools let uploaders and channel owners review comments before they're posted, blacklist certain words, and whitelist specific commenters so their posts will always be approved.

While YouTube is beginning its roll out for all users today, it could take awhile before changes are seen across the entire site.
    It has begun!

Come find me on Twitch.tv!

Community Manager
    PSN ID
    Fijiandoce
    YES!!

no more "such and such sent me here!" bull$#@!! or useless religious posts! or posting for likes!

best of all. i can continue to pretend this world is free from dillweeds -_-
    Sig courtesy of the_jim

Administrator
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!

Youtube's plan to cleanup the comment section has begun....are you ready?

I hate the spoilers in the comments more than anything... but it'll be nice to not have racist and $#@!phobic comments... among other stupid crap.

Forum Elder
    PSN ID
    robvandam111
    Items User name style
    I hope that also would put an end to the comments if you click on this cool link you'll win $500

See what I did? Not sure if you guys notice...

3DS: 4613-6960-4293

Valar Morghulis
    PSN ID
    SerinousTSE
    Items PS3 FatVitaPS3 Slim
    Comments are overrated.

Legend
    PSN ID
    F34RTEHR34PER
    Items BullySteamGran Turismo 5LiverpoolAppleJoker (limited ICON)Naughty DogMaster ChiefAssassins Creed EzioGears of WarHeavy RainDiablo III
    I never pay any attention to comments on any videos on youtube, unless it's a video I published.

Valar Morghulis
    PSN ID
    SerinousTSE
    Quote Originally Posted by F34R View Post
    I never pay any attention to comments on any videos on youtube, unless it's a video I published.
    Where. I'd like to go leave some comments.

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by Serinous View Post
    Comments are overrated.
    If you knew the kind of crap people had to deal with on YouTube... you would think a little differently. I'm glad they're finally starting to regulate the garbage that is the comments section. Giving YouTubers more control over what people can do on their channel is a nice addition.

Valar Morghulis
    PSN ID
    SerinousTSE
    Quote Originally Posted by PBM View Post
    If you knew the kind of crap people had to deal with on YouTube... you would think a little differently. I'm glad they're finally starting to regulate the garbage that is the comments section. Giving YouTubers more control over what people can do on their channel is a nice addition.
    Comments on YouTube are like 99% racist and $#@!. I'll be happy of they actually take comments away altogether. Leave the like or dislike button though. Those are helpful.

Administrator
    Comments on YouTube are like 99% racist and $#@!. I'll be happy of they actually take comments away altogether. Leave the like or dislike button though. Those are helpful.
    My cousin has over 100,000 subscribers and growing on her YouTube channel and she is receiving more and more death threats and whatnot from morons. So giving people more control over their comments is a welcome feature. The comments, when not filled with utter crap, are useful... so removing them entirely is not a solution. Hopefully this will remove a large chunk of the dumb ass comments on YouTube, though. All the worst people in the world seem to find themselves in the comments section after crawling out of their dark spaces.

Valar Morghulis
    PSN ID
    SerinousTSE
    My cousin has over 100,000 subscribers and growing on her YouTube channel and she is receiving more and more death threats and whatnot from morons. So giving people more control over their comments is a welcome feature. The comments, when not filled with utter crap, are useful... so removing them entirely is not a solution. Hopefully this will remove a large chunk of the dumb ass comments on YouTube, though. All the worst people in the world seem to find themselves in the comments section after crawling out of their dark spaces.
    Lol death threats? What kind of videos?

Administrator
    Lol death threats? What kind of videos?
    Why does it matter? And what's funny? She just reviews different gadgets... phones... tablets... etc. She's a female on the internet doing reviews... I don't think much else needs to be explained. She's had death threats over her opinions... she's had people straight up stalk her... she's had to change her phone number several times. The internet is a scary place. You don't realize how much of your information is available online unless you look.

Legend
    PSN ID
    F34RTEHR34PER
    Items BullySteamGran Turismo 5LiverpoolAppleJoker (limited ICON)Naughty DogMaster ChiefAssassins Creed EzioGears of WarHeavy RainDiablo III
    Where. I'd like to go leave some comments.
    youtube.com/user/f34rtehr34per

don't be mean! lol
    It is good for me to not have a good channel, and basically only there for brief entertainment for my 121 subs LOL.
    Why does it matter? And what's funny? She just reviews different gadgets... phones... tablets... etc. She's a female on the internet doing reviews... I don't think much else needs to be explained. She's had death threats over her opinions... she's had people straight up stalk her... she's had to change her phone number several times. The internet is a scary place. You don't realize how much of your information is available online unless you look.
    PM me her channel please. I'd love to check it out.

Valar Morghulis
    PSN ID
    SerinousTSE
    Just curious. Chill.

Valar Morghulis
    PSN ID
    SerinousTSE
    Quote Originally Posted by F34R View Post
    youtube.com/user/f34rtehr34per

don't be mean! lol
    I like ur cats lol

Administrator
    Just curious. Chill.
    When you "lol" @ death threats, it does not usually help create a chill mood. Just saying.

Valar Morghulis
    PSN ID
    SerinousTSE
    When you "lol" @ death threats, it does not usually help create a chill mood. Just saying.
    my bad. I auto-lol everything post. plus, I think death threats on internet should not be taken seriously.

Administrator
    my bad. I auto-lol everything post. plus, I think death threats on internet should not be taken seriously.
    These same people were stalking her and finding her phone number... calling her and making death threats over the phone. Sometimes they do need to be taken seriously. Even if they're joking, there are far too many nut jobs in the world not to take precautions.

Ultimate Veteran
    Items PlayStationPS3 Slim
    Quote Originally Posted by Fijiandoce View Post
    YES!!

no more "such and such sent me here!" bull$#@!! or useless religious posts! or posting for likes!

best of all. i can continue to pretend this world is free from dillweeds -_-
    I hate those people, I just feel sorry for them.

- Symmetrical thumb sticks for life -

PSU Live Streamer
    Wow this youtube change is irritating as f**k!
    Apparently I can only reply to people, I can't start my own message and leave a comment.

I was considering starting my own youtube channel this gen of gaming, but this change really makes it less appealing at the moment.

Valar Morghulis
    PSN ID
    SerinousTSE
    These same people were stalking her and finding her phone number... calling her and making death threats over the phone. Sometimes they do need to be taken seriously. Even if they're joking, there are far too many nut jobs in the world not to take precautions.
    well death threats from phone is scarier than death threats on internet.

Edit: and more serious
    Last edited by Serinous; 11-07-2013 at 13:22.

Legend
    PSN ID
    F34RTEHR34PER
    If someone was making actual threats of harm over the phone, they can literally be charged with it.

Supreme Veteran
    PSN ID
    sophieskyrim126Era
    Items Tommy VercettiGTA Claude
    I have a google account and it has give me two youtube channels, it is crazy how stupid it is

I watch a guy called gopher and i have the PSU channels

I can not comment at all or fix my history, so freaking annoying
    Plato and Aristotle, a detail of The School of Athens, a fresco by Raphael. Aristotle gestures to the earth, representing his belief in knowledge

PSU Live Streamer
    Well I figured out why I can only reply in the youtube comments section and not start a comment of my own. It's the Noscript addon for firefox thats stopping me. Once I disable it, boom, I can start my own comments.

Veteran
    PSN ID
    Heat195
    I think YouTube should clean-up themselves (IE $#@! off forever) before mucking any further with the site. Every damn update or change they do appears to make it worse. I wonder who these folks are who are trying they're best to piss off millions...I'd like to see. 90% of any issues with YouTube would be fixed by restoring it back pre-March 2010.

Thread Information