Latest PSU headlines:

Page 1 of 2 1 ... LastLast
    El Presidente

I have a virus I can't get rid of

I've got some kind of adware or something on my computer. I keep getting random words on websites highlighted in green. If I click on them I get taken to random websites. When I open a new tab I get redirected to random site then as well. I also have ads popping up on websites. Even after a full system scan and critical areas scan with Kaspersky, a full system scan with Spybot (which told me it detected and fixed the problem, it didn't) and numerous system restarts I'm about ready to give up. I don't know what to do. I can't get rid of this thing. Help please?

EDIT: I should add this I'm NOT having these issues with Internet Explorer. But I can't just use that and ignore the problem. I'm using Firefox.

Some images with the green highlights
    Last edited by podsaurus; 11-07-2013 at 04:35.

PSU Live Streamer
    check your firefox addons and see if some addon managed to sneak its way in and activate itself

Come find me on Twitch.tv!

Administrator
    Items Ghost in the ShellTidusLightningBruce LeeAppleUser name style
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    "The biggest adversary in our life is ourselves. We are what we are, in a sense, because of the dominating thoughts we allow to gather in our head. All concepts of self-improvement, all actions and paths we take, relate solely to our abstract image of ourselves. Life is limited only by how we really see ourselves and feel about our being. A great deal of pure self-knowledge and inner understanding allows us to lay an all-important foundation for the structure of our life from which we can perceive and take the right avenues.

PSN ID
    nervegas_ds
    i had something similar happen with chrome. it was driving me nuts, but then i check the extensions and there it was, some little crappy ad program thing. so i deleted it and now all is well.

Administrator
    Yes... there's usually some random add-on installed that's the culprit. Try running Firefox in safe mode... and if the problem goes away... then it's an add-on that's to blame and it needs to be removed. If you find out what the cause is... you can look further into eradicating the problem.
    "The biggest adversary in our life is ourselves. We are what we are, in a sense, because of the dominating thoughts we allow to gather in our head. All concepts of self-improvement, all actions and paths we take, relate solely to our abstract image of ourselves. Life is limited only by how we really see ourselves and feel about our being. A great deal of pure self-knowledge and inner understanding allows us to lay an all-important foundation for the structure of our life from which we can perceive and take the right avenues.

Extreme Poster
    download hijackthis or a similar program to that. that will give you a better idea of what's going on but be warned, it's difficult to interpret it so don't go on and delete everything on there. it's going to scan and show you what's taken control of your computer which will include legit programs too. but it will also give you the directory path for the programs, which will help you see if there are obvious ones out there that are not something you recognize.

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by Sufi View Post
    download hijackthis or a similar program to that. that will give you a better idea of what's going on but be warned, it's difficult to interpret it so don't go on and delete everything on there. it's going to scan and show you what's taken control of your computer which will include legit programs too. but it will also give you the directory path for the programs, which will help you see if there are obvious ones out there that are not something you recognize.
    Or he can post the log here and we can take a gander at it.

Extreme Poster
    ^yup. good idea lol.

El Presidente
    Turns out it was a sneaky little add-on that found it's way in. Funny because I deleted several yesterday and one of the popups stopped but I must have missed this one. I ran hijackthis anyway just to be safe and run it by you guys. Nothing looks out of place but have a look.

Also hijackthis would be good to keep on my computer I'm sure but I'm a little pissed that Kaspersky didn't find this problem. Maybe it doesn't scan for problems like this, it was as simple as deleting an add-on but still. Shouldn't something have picked up on this? If Kaspersky and Spybot didn't pick anything up do I have any assurance that Hijackthis will find the problem? This one was easy but I don't want something worse to slip through the cracks ya know?

There's a lot of text here.

Couple images

Legend
    PSN ID
    F34RTEHR34PER
    Items BullySteamGran Turismo 5LiverpoolAppleJoker (limited ICON)Naughty DogMaster ChiefAssassins Creed EzioGears of WarHeavy RainDiablo III
    I saw the thread at the top, and thought you were sick.

Power Member
    Items Gran Turismo 5Michelle MarshDoomid SoftwareCommodore 64Metal Gear Solid
    What was the name of the addon? So other people know what to avoid.

I thought it might be that plugin on this forum that highlights words and sends yo to websites.

Quote Originally Posted by F34R View Post
    Me too.
    Last edited by keefy; 11-07-2013 at 12:48.

Master Sage
    PSN ID
    I'll let you know.
    Items Olivia WildeArnold SchwarzneggerPearl JamSylvester StalloneScarlett JohanssonAC/DCAppleLegend of ZeldaBruce WillisNintendo 64Gran Turismo 5PlayStation
    Do you have MBAM (Malware Bytes Anti-Malware) ? It's free and it's amazing.

El Presidente
    Quote Originally Posted by keefy View Post
    What was the name of the addon? So other people know what to avoid.

I thought it might be that plugin on this forum that highlights words and sends yo to websites.

Me too.
    Oops no I'm fine! Probably should have said 'my pc' not 'I'.

And shoot I knew I should have written down what it was. Maybe it's still on the list of add-ons at home, just shut off. I'll have a look when I'm home. I can tell you for sure it was not a plugin from the forum. I was getting the highlighted words on every site I went to not just PSU.

Quote Originally Posted by DreDayDetox View Post
    Do you have MBAM (Malware Bytes Anti-Malware) ? It's free and it's amazing.
    That's what I used to scan the computer. It said it deleted the problems but it didn't fix it. It seemed like nothing was able to detect this add-on.

The first thing I got rid of was 'ividi.' That was the one sending my to other sites so whatever that add-on was it was something similar to that I assume.

EDIT: I don't remember what the add-on was but I believe it was something about iVIDI.
    Last edited by podsaurus; 11-07-2013 at 18:38.

Master Sage
    PSN ID
    I'll let you know.
    Items Olivia WildeArnold SchwarzneggerPearl JamSylvester StalloneScarlett JohanssonAC/DCAppleLegend of ZeldaBruce WillisNintendo 64Gran Turismo 5PlayStation
    Try also uninstalling it from control panel. Then do another full scan and restart. Or same steps, but do it in safe mode. Don't go to a computer shop, they literally do the exact same things you would if you Google it.

I had a "search conduit" virus from downloading a program off of $#@!ing CNET of all places that installed so much adware which was to convert AIFF to MP3 files.

Super Elite
    PSN ID
    robvandam111
    Items User name style
    I thought the same thing. Didn't even bother opening up.

Anyway, I had similar situation during the summer. I was going to download this YUGIOH program until I had click on the wrong button. Opened up Internet Explorer and notice all the ads hay-wiring epidemically; and it went to sites such as Youtube plus the forum I was getting the download from. Apparently, I was terrified because this is my (probably 8th or 10th computer in the house), so I didn't want to let crash or anything. It was simple, I had the ad-ware uninstalled from the "Computer" section of the start button. Thankfully, I was saved.

3DS: 4613-6960-4293

Veteran
    Items PS3 SlimVita3DSPlayStation
    I had a similar problem with add ons. I can't understand why the internet is able to install programs on my computer without my permission. It's not right.

Currently Playing: Lumines Electronic Symphony (Vita)

Power Member
    They often come bundled with freeware software and you don't uncheck the box to not install them.

Veteran
    Items PS3 SlimVita3DSPlayStation
    Quote Originally Posted by keefy View Post
    They often come bundled with freeware software and you don't uncheck the box to not install them.
    Ugh! Why was the box checked in the first place?

Those darn add ons!

Currently Playing: Lumines Electronic Symphony (Vita)

Master Sage
    PSN ID
    I'll let you know.
    What Keefy said, and if a software developer is a decent person, he/she will include a "custom" button in the install screen so you can see what to install and leave out.

The one I got, I declined the offers but one and it installed everything. Had to uninstall, remove from add-ons in Chrome and use MBAM. It did the trick, but never again. And this is from CNET. You would think they would post safe software, not adware. The program itself did do what I wanted, which was to convert AIFF files to MP3, but not without the intended ADWARE!

Now, my MBAM scans usually show "PUP" in my scans if I don't do them weekly. I hope that's just unharmful adware and not Spyware.

Extreme Poster
    PSN ID
    mistercrow
    Lmao, so did I.

Power Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DreDayDetox View Post
    What Keefy said, and if a software developer is a decent person, he/she will include a "custom" button in the install screen so you can see what to install and leave out.

The one I got, I declined the offers but one and it installed everything. Had to uninstall, remove from add-ons in Chrome and use MBAM. It did the trick, but never again. And this is from CNET. You would think they would post safe software, not adware. The program itself did do what I wanted, which was to convert AIFF files to MP3, but not without the intended ADWARE!

Now, my MBAM scans usually show "PUP" in my scans if I don't do them weekly. I hope that's just unharmful adware and not Spyware.
    Nod32 flags many of those PUP, even KMplayer is one according to Nod, has opencandy adware or something built into the installer.

El Presidente
    I edited an earlier post but everything seems to be fine now. No more popups or link redirects. I didn't mean to scare anybody by wording it to sound like I am sick but I do have a bit of a cold :P

Forum Sage

Quote Originally Posted by The Black Wolf View Post
    Ugh! Why was the box checked in the first place?

Those darn add ons!
    Because they know most people are too lazy or not observant enough to read what they are installing. They will just have it checked by default. It helps with product penetration and many companies have deals with other companies to do exactly this. It would behoove everyone to read through what they are installing.

Ultimate Veteran
    down load a ant viurs called spyboot put spy bot on a usb stick and go in to the pcs bios and change boot up so u can boot up from the usb stick and run spy boot it will work i had a nasty virus my friend fixed my pc this way

Administrator
    Spybot sucks now. Just saying. It used to be great and now it's a bloated piece of crap.

Thread Information