Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4 ... LastLast
    Elite Guru
    Items Naughty DogMetal Gear SolidPlayStation
    Mine aren't peeling yet but they are wearing down quick. I expect them to peel soon.

Veteran
    Items Battlefield 3Assassins Creed EzioCoD: World at War
    Here's a pic of mine, it's not on the edge like the OP. Mine is from where I rest my thumb. Slowly wearing down as can be seen:

Chocolatier to the Stars
    PSN ID
    TidalPhoenix
    Items New User TitleUser name style
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Hmm not good. That's going to be a bit annoying and depending on how quickly they wear down I think in the UK we'll be able to get them replaced under the Sale of Goods Act, irrespective of stated warranties.

​aka Sparc

Entropy isn't what it used be

Superior Member
    Also purchased the grips from amazon. Someone on PS official board forums have reported the same issue

PLayStation.3

Apprentice
    PSN ID
    N0REGARD4LIFE
    Items PlayStationDiceBattlefield 3
    No wear in over 90hrs of BF4, but my R1 button did start to stick. I spot like crazy, yes. I popped the button off and out a dab of Bantam Oil that I use on my fishing reels on a Q tip and rubbed it on those posts the button slides on. Problem fixed.

Veteran
    Is the only people getting this problem the ones playing COD consistently

Apprentice
    PSN ID
    N0REGARD4LIFE
    Items PlayStationDiceBattlefield 3
    If they are playing CoD then they also have an issue with their brain.

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by N0REGARD4LIFE View Post
    If they are playing CoD then they also have an issue with their brain.
    Lets not get in to that debate again

9. Likes vudumonkey25 likes this post
    Superior Member
    PSN ID
    Libra-75
    Quote Originally Posted by N0REGARD4LIFE View Post
    No wear in over 90hrs of BF4, but my R1 button did start to stick. I spot like crazy, yes. I popped the button off and out a dab of Bantam Oil that I use on my fishing reels on a Q tip and rubbed it on those posts the button slides on. Problem fixed.
    I've had my DS4 for about a month now and there's no sign of wear or tear on the analog sticks. I've been playing BF4, KZ and a bunch of other games during this time. I don't know if people just have bad luck or if they really abuse their DS4's when they play games.

Veteran
    No issues with the coating rubbing off for me as of yet.

If I come across this issue I'll just tape up the controller and touch up the sticks with plasti-dip

I love the ribbing MS put around the edges of the XB1s joysticks tho.
    Last edited by faaeng; 01-02-2014 at 09:05.
    PCs are very much like Air Conditioners.
    They both become utterly useless once you start to open up Windows....
    ----------------------------------------------

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by Libra-75 View Post
    I don't know if people just have bad luck or if they really abuse their DS4's when they play games.
    Knowing how I play, it's bad luck.

It's frustrating that as soon as something goes wrong or a defect occurs for people that others assume that it's down to abuse of the product.

I still have my launch PS3 60GB controller here and yes that shows excessive signs of wear, 1 or 2 shoulder buttons stick abit and L3 doesn't really click no more but that's over 7 years old and had countless hours of game time go through it. Yet the analogue sticks are still perfect.

Sooner or later I think most DS4's are going to end up having this problem, whether it's down to 'abuse' or general wear. Or batches were manufactured elsewhere which is a problematic batch.

For the record, my controller is the bundled item with the console. Not a separate purchase.

Superior Member
    PSN ID
    Libra-75
    Quote Originally Posted by SupraGaz View Post
    Knowing how I play, it's bad luck.

It's frustrating that as soon as something goes wrong or a defect occurs for people that others assume that it's down to abuse of the product.

I still have my launch PS3 60GB controller here and yes that shows excessive signs of wear, 1 or 2 shoulder buttons stick abit and L3 doesn't really click no more but that's over 7 years old and had countless hours of game time go through it. Yet the analogue sticks are still perfect.

Sooner or later I think most DS4's are going to end up having this problem, whether it's down to 'abuse' or general wear. Or batches were manufactured elsewhere which is a problematic batch.

For the record, my controller is the bundled item with the console. Not a separate purchase.
    I didn't mean to accuse anyone of anything. It might be one way or the other. I'm pretty sure some people abuse their DS4s and other are careful. I'm just basing that on my personal experience with people I know. Some of them are careful with their (and other peoples) stuff, and some of them are not. I also have the controller that was bundled with the console.

Dedicated Member
    I thought it was my thumbnail, but, couldn't understand how.
    Yes, my left analog on one DS4 had some peal off.
    Definitely disconcerting. That's likely only about under 20hrs too when it happened. It was weeks ago.
    Sleeping very soundly on a Saturday morning I was dreaming
    I was Al Capone
    There's a rumour going round, gotta clear outta town
    I'm smelling like a dry fish bone
    Here come the Law, gonna break down the door, gonna carry me
    away once more
    Never, never, never get it any more
    Gotta get away from this stone cold floor
    Crazy
    Stone cold crazy, you know

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by Libra-75 View Post
    I didn't mean to accuse anyone of anything.
    Sorry I must have miss understood your reply.

Honestly though, I more than look after my tech/gadgets. Pretty much like anything I own to be really.

Quote Originally Posted by John Willaford View Post
    I thought it was my thumbnail, but, couldn't understand how.
    Yes, my left analog on one DS4 had some peal off.
    Definitely disconcerting. That's likely only about under 20hrs too when it happened. It was weeks ago.
    Blimey under 20hours. This is really beginning to suck

Spoke to amazon customer service and they'd gladly replace and send the replacement out first so at least I can get it sorted.

Also ordered a pair of the covers to protect the new one.

PSN ID
    croatoa
    The DS4 controller that came with my ps4 has started to peel as well- the fact is that any game where you are pushing down the stick as a button to sprint like in CoD or BF will begin to wear it down- I have contacted sony about the matter and they will allow a service request on the device, but you must pay the shipping cost on it. So that is what I intend to do

Elite Guru
    PSN ID
    TAZ427
    There's really too many variables to really say if this is a major issue or not. Without accusing anyone, there's always the possibility of people being rather hard on their controllers, though I'd think the L3/R3 unintentionally being depressed would make people not push too hard.

Another variable is the variance in manufacturing process. Is there something possibly getting on the analog sticks during manufacturing prior to the 'rubber/grippy texture' being applied such that it's delaminating on some controllers?

Personally I haven't had any problems to date after 7 weeks and probably close to 200hrs of play. And I know I'm fairly agressive with the analog sticks because I frequently unintentionally click L3/R3. Not to mention using L3 a lot in Warframe (needing to hold it pressed in to sprint around which I do whenever moving around during game play which is the majority of the time.)

Chocolatier to the Stars
    PSN ID
    TidalPhoenix
    Items New User TitleUser name style
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Quote Originally Posted by TAZ427 View Post
    There's really too many variables to really say if this is a major issue or not. Without accusing anyone, there's always the possibility of people being rather hard on their controllers
    No way. It's a gaming controller. It's designed for hard gaming. I do not accept this is any fault of individuals whatsoever. Only using a controller in a way not intended (i.e. not functionally intended) would be considered a consumer issue. Let's also remember none of the people reporting this issue ever reported a problem with the six-axis controller. Quite simply for this wear to occur this early after release is nothing short of a manufacturing defect.

​aka Sparc

Entropy isn't what it used be

19. Likes Riptide_Warrior likes this post
    PSN ID
    croatoa
    I talked to someone at sony about this and he seemed legitimately concerned as well as surprised to hear about this problem. Everyone who is having issues needs to talk to sony so that they realise the extent of the problem- and should send the afflicted device to sony to have it replaced/ fixed. You will have to make a service request but if we all just keep the faulty controllers then we will have no one to blame but ourselves no?

Apprentice

PSN ID
    crazy_gooner
    Both of my controllers are now playing up and in all honesty they haven't even had 100 hours each. I've used them the same way I dod my PS3 pad and 360 pad. My standard black controller has left analogue issues feeling rough already and the extra pad which is magma red has a problem where L1 feels as if it sticks intermittently.

The joke of the situation is that Sony require you to send back your controller's for testing before they send a replacement. It then takes around 1 to 2 weeks to test and get back to you. What made it worse for me is I clearly explained my problem over the phone, included a covering note but it was sent back saying it has been tested and all is fine. Pissed me off so much as why would I bother paying out my own pocket for calls and postage to have my controller repaired or replaced just for the fun of it? As why would others. Perhaps that's just Sony UK.

Kudos to Microsoft in that respect. I had faulty control pads in the past and they just sent me a new one then gave me 2 weeks to send the faulty one back. A proper logic.

PSN ID
    calearne
    Whenever I buy a PS4, The first thing I'm going to do is put a full rubber case and rubber thumb stick covers on the DS4 to improve grip and prevent wear and tear.
    Last edited by calearne; 01-05-2014 at 08:09.

Elite Member
    PSN ID
    Cathode
    Items LuluYunaDaft Punk
    @crazy gooner:
    I doubt Sony's customer service is that bad, or then again you might have a good news scoop if you have more proof.

Sony's customer- and especially retailer-support is supposedly the worst of the bunch, from what I've heard. Specifically here in Scandinavia.

I'm going to send my controllers in for warranty sometime later when the problem with mine become more apparent (I've already posted image proof in this thread!)
    Last edited by K2D; 01-05-2014 at 12:25.

Wishlist: Jade Cocoon Reboot, Oni Reboot, the next JRPG, Wasteland 2 [coming soon!]
    SotC 2, Fallout 4, next Obsidian Fallout, Project Eternity, Uncharted 4, Divinity [NEW!]
    [South Park: Stick of Truth is pure gaming bliss!]

PSU Editor
    PSN ID
    NeoShockWave
    Items Title StyleLiquid Ocelotid SoftwareKonamiUser name styleNaughty DogBig BossTidusPlayStationManchester UnitedAuron
    Thanks to all the reports of issues I've been super careful with the controller. I'm not naturally that hard on 'em during games, except maybe in FIFA with the shoulder buttons. It's been about three-and-a-half weeks and so far so good. My L1 did get stuck a little bit early on which was pretty frustrating but I popped it off with a guitar pick, cleaned it, and it's working fine now.

Follow me on Twitter @Adam_PSU for all things PlayStation!

Apprentice

PSN ID
    crazy_gooner
    I contacted them again today and said I now have two pads with L1 sticking and tney said I have to send at my cost again. Not to mention the number you call is customer services, you then need to post recorded at your own expense so this will be my second time plus my original pad needs to go back. L1 sticking is clearly from fifa.

Frustrating really.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

PSN ID
    croatoa
    If the L1 is sticking I would almost just recommend fixing it yourself- if you are able to do so- ask one of the lads on here who has had to do so and I'm sure they will help you find a way- Really sorry to hear you are having such a bad time of it. You should be demanding that they pay the shipping this time since their incompetence already cost you the first time. Record any conversations you have with them and if they do not give you satisfactory service then tell them you will be reporting this conversation on the Sony forums- that said; big businesses are always very good at covering their backside whilst preventing themselves from having to spend any money or losing more than they can get away with. Unacceptable in my opinion

PSU Editor
    PSN ID
    NeoShockWave
    Items Title StyleLiquid Ocelotid SoftwareKonamiUser name styleNaughty DogBig BossTidusPlayStationManchester UnitedAuron
    Yeah as I mentioned above, it's easy - there's a video going around where you've gotta' open up the whole controller but a simple guitar pick would suffice. Hook it underneath, the L1 or R1, use a little force and it pops right off; get a cotton swab or a bit of fine tissue and clean the part that you press down (looks like the bottom of a small matchstick kinda') and then push the the button back on. I haven't had any problems since.

Follow me on Twitter @Adam_PSU for all things PlayStation!

Thread Information