Latest PSU headlines:

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 5 ... LastLast
    Forum Guru
    Items Battlefield 3Assassins Creed EzioCoD: World at War

DS4 Analog Stick Problem?

Rubber peeling and users popping buttons off to fix within a month to 6 weeks of release is unacceptable. If this was happening a year or 2 down the line then fair enough but this is complete and utter $#@! that these controllers are having the problems so soon after release.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Apprentice

PSN ID
    crazy_gooner
    Quote Originally Posted by Riptide_Warrior View Post
    If the L1 is sticking I would almost just recommend fixing it yourself- if you are able to do so- ask one of the lads on here who has had to do so and I'm sure they will help you find a way- Really sorry to hear you are having such a bad time of it. You should be demanding that they pay the shipping this time since their incompetence already cost you the first time. Record any conversations you have with them and if they do not give you satisfactory service then tell them you will be reporting this conversation on the Sony forums- that said; big businesses are always very good at covering their backside whilst preventing themselves from having to spend any money or losing more than they can get away with. Unacceptable in my opinion
    I agree and good idea thanks. I WILL use Shockwaves method.

Quote Originally Posted by Shockwave View Post
    Yeah as I mentioned above, it's easy - there's a video going around where you've gotta' open up the whole controller but a simple guitar pick would suffice. Hook it underneath, the L1 or R1, use a little force and it pops right off; get a cotton swab or a bit of fine tissue and clean the part that you press down (looks like the bottom of a small matchstick kinda') and then push the the button back on. I haven't had any problems since.
    Thanks mate. Will give a go. Hope I don't $#@! it up. Worrying thing is if you haven't had problems since removing the button surely there's some kind of dodgy manufacturing on Sonys behalf.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

Superior Member
    PSN ID
    thanatos144
    They are not made to be impervious to ware you guys

tapatalk post

PSU Trophy Manager
    PSN ID
    Faenix1
    Items Final Fantasy X-2Final Fantasy XIIFangNoctisLightningFinal Fantasy Versus XIIIFinal Fantasy XIII-2Final Fantasy XIIINaughty DogFinal Fantasy XFinal Fantasy VIIPS3 Slim
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Compared to the DS3 the DS4 does seem rather "cheap". Never had any issues with any of my three DS3s - is it sad I get secondary controllers just to have one charging at all times? lol - but I've already had to return my spare DS4 since the R2 button kept sticking and I couldnt see why.

EDIT:
    My Sixaxis from 2008 still works like new. Granted since 2011 it hasnt got much use outside PC games but still

Sig&Av by Kuro

Sometimes streaming Watch_Dogs

PS4 Preorders:
    FarCry4MetroReduxDragonAge3BatmanAKWitcher3DyingLightOrder1886Uncharted4

PSN
    , XBL, Steam: Faenix1 - 3DS Friend Code: 3883-6299-4363
    Phat PS3: February 2008 - June 1st, 2011, Slim PS3: June 3rd 2011 - Present
    PS4, 3DSxl: November 2013 - Present
    PSVita December 2013 - Present

PSN ID
    croatoa
    Quote Originally Posted by thanatos144 View Post
    They are not made to be impervious to ware you guys

tapatalk post
    Yes but they should last longer than a month or two- my first dualshock 3 lasted years before it started to wear down- this is next gen- pathetic......

Extreme Poster
    PSN ID
    mistercrow
    Quote Originally Posted by Fenix View Post
    Compared to the DS3 the DS4 does seem rather "cheap". Never had any issues with any of my three DS3s - is it sad I get secondary controllers just to have one charging at all times? lol - but I've already had to return my spare DS4 since the R2 button kept sticking and I couldnt see why.
    Seriously? I thought the opposite. DS3 felt cheap and plasticy and was a POS controller overall especially for racers and shooters. 360 controller felt way better except for the dpad. The DS4 feels solid and feels alot better as a controller to me.

PSN ID
    croatoa
    Well either way whether it's the manufacturer or the gamer who is responsible- I will try to be much gentler on the second DS4 I bought and I will see if my care and concern makes a difference- if it doesn't then it certainly was my fault- but still- I will also get the grips like the gentleman on here already mentioned

Apprentice

PSN ID
    crazy_gooner
    I know as do many others how to use a bloody control pad. It's there to be used and you know use the buttons. I've been gaming for 25 years and this is the worse control pad I've used in terms of quality. Great shape etc though. I seem ro have fixed it so thanks guys who helped.

Sony seemed to try and patronise me as it is. I'm a person who takes principles seriously. I felt like saying fack off and getting rid. The fact my extra pad used about twice had the exact same fault aa my bundled consoles.

Most people I've seen witj faults have some from Fifa players who rely on L1 for player change and continuous analogue movement.

Chocolatier to the Stars
    PSN ID
    TidalPhoenix
    Items New User TitleUser name style
    Quote Originally Posted by crazy_gooner View Post
    I know as do many others how to use a bloody control pad. It's there to be used and you know use the buttons. I've been gaming for 25 years and this is the worse control pad I've used in terms of quality. Great shape etc though. I seem ro have fixed it so thanks guys who helped.

Sony seemed to try and patronise me as it is. I'm a person who takes principles seriously. I felt like saying fack off and getting rid. The fact my extra pad used about twice had the exact same fault aa my bundled consoles.

Most people I've seen witj faults have some from Fifa players who rely on L1 for player change and continuous analogue movement.

If you are in the uk, which you appear to be, then you should be going back to the retailer, not directly to Sony. It is with the retailer that you have a sales contract. Also uk consumer law also states that you do not have to pay postage to return a faulty item and receive a replacement.

​aka Sparc

PSU Editor
    PSN ID
    NeoShockWave
    Items Title StyleLiquid Ocelotid SoftwareKonamiUser name styleNaughty DogBig BossTidusPlayStationManchester UnitedAuron
    Quote Originally Posted by crazy_gooner View Post

Glad it's back working. As you say, my L1 sticking was born out of FIFA use. Frustrating to say the least.

Follow me on Twitter @Adam_PSU for all things PlayStation!

Apprentice

PSN ID
    crazy_gooner
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparc View Post
    If you are in the uk, which you appear to be, then you should be going back to the retailer, not directly to Sony. It is with the retailer that you have a sales contract. Also uk consumer law also states that you do not have to pay postage to return a faulty item and receive a replacement.
    For sure. Game would exchange but I'd have to return my console which they're still out of stock. From what I've read online it's a widespread thing and a strong chance I could have another faulty pad. I will claim my money back to thanks for that mate. The additional pad was via Gamestop who's number is always engaged and I've written a letter and various emails with no response over a month. They finally responded and said they'd refund but can't exchange due to stock levels. I only paid 40 quid for the pad so I was in two minds and thought Sony should still take some liability.

Quote Originally Posted by Shockwave View Post
    Glad it's back working. As you say, my L1 sticking was born out of FIFA use. Frustrating to say the least.
    Seems the majority of us with the problem play Fifa or use L1 a lot. Fps fans with the odd L1 press for grenade won't really see it or will actually miss the problem.

PSN ID
    croatoa
    Seems the majority of us with the problem play Fifa or use L1 a lot. Fps fans with the odd L1 press for grenade won't really see it or will actually miss the problem.[/QUOTE]

I guess that's why the fps gamers have the stick issues- at least they have protective coverings for the joysticks- I don't even know what can be done for bumpers being worn down- or if there is anything that can be done at all for them

PSN ID
    ilyandor

not an isolated incident

Quote Originally Posted by sanfordmay View Post
    I'd exchange that as a manufacturing defect. If it happens again with the new one you'll have to use grips or just put up with it until Sony fixes the issue. But that's far and above normal wear and tear for a week, no matter how much you used it or where you put your thumbs.
    it's not a manufacturing issue, per se. it's that SONY did not pick the best type of rubber for the covering of the analog stick. every time i play i get the feeling of microscopic rubbing-off, like when you're using an eraser. My wife played knack with me for less than 10 minutes and because of her relatively short nails she tore a piece of it off-which should not happen that fast.

I am going to buy those aftermarket things you use to cover/protect the sticks with and future-proof my controllers.

PSU Editor
    PSN ID
    bizarro_thirteen
    I love the DS4. I think its the best controller I've used. The DS3 feels like a kid's toy compared to it.

If even one DS4 lasts longer than one 360 controller, I'll be happy. I've gone through at least 5 or 6 360 controllers because the thumbsticks get loose or the nubs wear off the thumbstick pads.

Super Moderator
    PSN ID
    Lethal_NFS
    Items Michelle MarshAngelina JolieScarlett JohanssonOlivia WildeLucy Pinder
    How the hell do some you damage the rubber on the analog sticks??????? I have never in my 14 years with a Playstation controller, damaged the rubber on the analog sticks. I guess I would if I played with my teeth or something.

Forum Guru

DS4 Analog Stick Problem?

Quote Originally Posted by Lethal_NFS View Post
    How the hell do some you damage the rubber on the analog sticks??????? I have never in my 14 years with a Playstation controller, damaged the rubber on the analog sticks. I guess I would if I played with my teeth or something.
    That's just it, none of us have had issues before neither until this peeling issue on the DS4 within afew weeks of it being released.

I'm getting sick to the back teeth of people insinuating that people are abusing these controllers because theirs hasn't had an issue. As well as this thread, a quick google search of DS4 rubber peeling shows it is much more widespread than some believe.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

17. Likes vudumonkey25 likes this post
    Super Moderator
    PSN ID
    Lethal_NFS
    Items Michelle MarshAngelina JolieScarlett JohanssonOlivia WildeLucy Pinder
    I dunno, my analog sticks still look good as new. I guess I have the perfect hands for this controller.

Elite Member
    PSN ID
    Cathode
    Items LuluYunaDaft Punk
    Quote Originally Posted by Fenix View Post

EDIT:
    My Sixaxis from 2008 still works like new. Granted since 2011 it hasnt got much use outside PC games but still
    I'm in the exact same situation as you, save your R2-problem. I wouldn't go as far as to say they feel cheap though. Seems like a production fault and thats about it.

Anyone contacted customer service about it?

Wishlist: Jade Cocoon Reboot, Oni Reboot, the next JRPG, Wasteland 2 [coming soon!]
    SotC 2, Fallout 4, next Obsidian Fallout, Project Eternity, Uncharted 4, Divinity [NEW!]
    [South Park: Stick of Truth is pure gaming bliss!]

Forum Guru
    Anyone who has had problems with their dualshock 4 and ordered through Amazon; I've just come off their live chat system and having 2 new controllers sent out free of charge.

Elite Guru
    Items Naughty DogMetal Gear SolidPlayStation
    So it is now just started to happen for me. With not very much playing time at all (in my opinion), my DS4's left stick has started to show what I would consider "more than normal" amount of wear. Part of my left stick is a completely different texture to what it used to be, it has rubbed off and I foresee in the near future it starting to actually peel.

Little things like this irritate my OCD. I ain't shelling out for a new DS4 though so I'm gonna have to grit my teeth and bare it.

I bought a new controller about every 6 months to a year last gen, due to wear annoying me. I don't think I could afford a new one every 3 months lol.

i just bought this caps for DS 4 , if you dont want to damage your dualshock its fantastic and fits perfectly

Master Guru
    Items FuturamaGoogle ChromeAmerican DadHalf-Life 2Battlefield 3User name style
    Add me to the club. And for some comparison, my 360 pad lasted something like 2/3 years before the sticks got a bit messed.

This is from Ghosts, but really shouldn't be happening this soon.

Don't Steal. Don't Molest Little Children. Don't Deal Drugs.

Superior Member
    Both my house mates, my next door neighbour and I are noticing pretty bad wear on our analogue sticks (left one in particular as we are all pretty heavy Fifa players. One of my controllers has actually had the left stick's coating split down to the plastic on its bottom edge.

I swapped and rotated the left stick with the right one as a temporary fix (so the split is now on the top right stick and is out of the way).

Also for all you UK guys, there is a couple of sellers on eBay now selling what they are saying are official Sony replacement sticks. I have ordered a few pairs for replacements (only 3 a pair so IMO its a better deal than having to ship your controller back to Sony). The sticks are very easy to move over/replace, much more so than the DS3 so I have no qualms doing this.

I will post back my results when the replacements arrive next week with how good they are.

I'll fully admit I really shouldn't be having to do this a few months into using these but at least there seems to be a cheap and easy option to fix this now.
    Oh its bad luck to be you, A chosen one of many isn't new,
    When you think your full of luck, In the b*llocks you'll be struck, Oh its bad luck to be you, Diddelly dooooo.....
    Kinda sums up life, don't ya think?
    PS3 This is living PSN ID = Netherdragon

Veteran
    I wouldnt mind replacing my stick covers with the ones from the XB1 controller. The ones on the PS4 arent grippy at all. I prefer the tension on the sticks better on the PS4 but the analog stick covers/toppers of the XB1 are better imo.
    Last edited by faaeng; 02-16-2014 at 22:12.
    PCs are very much like Air Conditioners.
    They both become utterly useless once you start to open up Windows....
    ----------------------------------------------

Apprentice
    Quote Originally Posted by N0REGARD4LIFE View Post
    No wear in over 90hrs of BF4, but my R1 button did start to stick. I spot like crazy, yes. I popped the button off and out a dab of Bantam Oil that I use on my fishing reels on a Q tip and rubbed it on those posts the button slides on. Problem fixed.
    tru

Thread Information