Superior Member

PSN ID
    martin_blank

DS4 Charging Options

This really only matters much launch day, but I just got the couple spare 6 foot USB cables I ordered for my DualShock 4 controller. I assume I can charge the DS4 off the usual suspects. PS3 USB port, laptop USB port, USB iPhone charger, etc. I'm getting the PS4 delivered launch day but my sons are in school all day. I want to leave it sealed and save the big unboxing to do with them that night but I want to have my spare DS4 controller -- that showed up last week -- already charged so we have one fully charged controller to use without having to be plugged into the PS4. And without having open the PS4 box.

I'm pretty sure I know the answer to this but just wanted to make sure DS4 controllers will charge normally off a standard USB ports and chargers.

Elite Guru
    PSN ID
    TAZ427
    Quote Originally Posted by sanfordmay View Post
    This really only matters much launch day, but I just got the couple spare 6 foot USB cables I ordered for my DualShock 4 controller. I assume I can charge the DS4 off the usual suspects. PS3 USB port, laptop USB port, USB iPhone charger, etc. I'm getting the PS4 delivered launch day but my sons are in school all day. I want to leave it sealed and save the big unboxing to do with them that night but I want to have my spare DS4 controller -- that showed up last week -- already charged so we have one fully charged controller to use without having to be plugged into the PS4. And without having open the PS4 box.

I'm pretty sure I know the answer to this but just wanted to make sure DS4 controllers will charge normally off a standard USB ports and chargers.
    Yeah, they'll charge off of regular USB chargers w/ a USB - MicroB cable. I charged mine up off my 2A Galaxy S4's charger, but checked my laptop, PS3, TiVo, and a couple other generic USB chargers that I have and they all worked. Note that not all of these would work on my DS3.

3. Likes sanfordmay likes this post
    Veteran
    PSN ID
    Tha_MonkeyClaw
    Items Protect yourself
    I have a couple of these installed in my kitchen:

http://www.amazon.com/FastMac-ACE-71.../dp/B0002EOJ7Y

...and to my surprise, the Dualshock 4 will not charge on them! It is the first thing that would not charge on these, which really surprised me...

-=[ PSN ID: Tha_MonkeyClaw ]=-

Superior Member

PSN ID
    martin_blank
    Quote Originally Posted by MonkeyClaw View Post

...and to my surprise, the Dualshock 4 will not charge on them! It is the first thing that would not charge on these, which really surprised me...
    Weird. Because those are pretty cool. Sounds like I'll have something that will work besides the PS4, though. And I really only need that one thing for one day.

Apprentice
    PSN ID
    vinny_pizza79
    Quote Originally Posted by MonkeyClaw View Post

http://www.amazon.com/FastMac-ACE-71.../dp/B0002EOJ7Y

Not good for the ps4, but I'm heading out to buy a couple of those outlets. With all of the cell phones in my house kitchen outlets are at a premium!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk

Veteran
    PSN ID
    Tha_MonkeyClaw
    Items Protect yourself
    Quote Originally Posted by vinny_pizza79 View Post
    Not good for the ps4, but I'm heading out to buy a couple of those outlets. With all of the cell phones in my house kitchen outlets are at a premium!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk
    It is just strange because those wall outlets have charged anything that I have throw at it, even the most finicky of electronics it has charged! What is funny is I plugged the DS4 into my DVR's front USB 3.0 port to charge it and my DVR flipped out and kept rebooting itself until I unplugged the controller! Maybe my DS4 is possessed...

-=[ PSN ID: Tha_MonkeyClaw ]=-

Ultimate Veteran
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    I can get a cable from mono price it says 2.0 but can I still use it for the ds4 a cable is a cable as long as its micro it should be ok
    Last edited by coolguy; 11-08-2013 at 05:05.

Superior Member

PSN ID
    martin_blank
    Quote Originally Posted by coolguy View Post
    I can get a cable from mono price it says 2.0 but can I still use it for the ds4 a cable is a cable as long as its micro it should be ok
    Actually USB 3 Micro B cables won't work with the DS4. It has to be USB 2. USB 3 cables have larger connectors; they don't fit the DS4's USB 2 Micro B connector. The ports on the PS4 are USB 3 and some PS4 peripherals may benefit from the greater data bandwidth and work on bus power alone because USB 3's higher bus power. But the DS4 doesn't use the higher data bandwidth. The only possible benefit of making the DS4 ports USB 3 would be faster charging. The downsides would be that USB 3 cables are not as common and they're generally more expensive.

I have USB 2 Micro B cables from Monoprice, too.

Thread Information