Administrator
    PSN ID
    rokushakubo
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Awards PSU+ Patriot

Discussion on thread presentation

Hey guys,

So I'm about to start learning a special form of kung fu called SEO or Search Engine Optimisation. From wiki:

Search engine optimization (SEO) is the process of affecting the visibility of a website or a web page in a search engine's "natural" or un-paid ("organic") search results. In general, the earlier (or higher ranked on the search results page), and more frequently a site appears in the search results list, the more visitors it will receive from the search engine's users. SEO may target different kinds of search, including image search, local search, video search, academic search,[1] news search and industry-specific vertical searchengines.

As an Internet marketing strategy, SEO considers how search engines work, what people search for, the actual search terms or keywords typed into search engines and which search engines are preferred by their targeted audience. Optimizing a website may involve editing its content, HTML and associated coding to both increase its relevance to specific keywords and to remove barriers to the indexing activities of search engines. Promoting a site to increase the number of backlinks, or inbound links, is another SEO tactic
    Steven informs me that our page rank is already quite healthy. Still, I want to learn all about SEO because it is generally a very useful and important skill set to have and plan to use it to comb over the site to see what practices can be tweaked in order to increase traffic.

While my journey to SEO mastery has only JUST begun, there is something that I wanted to discuss and raise awareness of--the titles and content of the threads we make. I searched "WWE2k14 is looking better" and look who's up top. Awhile ago Steven brought this up amongst the content team. His adice was along the lines of:"think what people are searching in Google and create article titles based on that." and this applies to making threads too. When you are making the title, make it look attractive with capitals and punctuation and see what key words are going in there. For instance, if your thread is about new DLC coming to Watch Dogs on PS4. Include both names in the title, even if it's blatant as it's in the PS4 section. The more relevant the title is to the threads contents, the better. Also, accuracy is important in this regard. A person who searches for info in google and is directed to us wants to get the info they need and if they click on a thread title that doesn't really support the thread content then they will leave.

The presentation of threads is also important in this regard. On an SEO forum I saw someone say that forums are like a dynamic digital magazine and I like that idea. Someone posts an article and then ideally, a mature and intelligent conversation ensues. The thread then becomes a wealth of info and opinions that is interesting to read. However, what the clicker sees when the click on our links is important. I have no intentions of coming up with some kind of format for making new threads but I kindly ask you all to be aware of the presentation of the stuff you post. If you are posting an article, put it in paragraphs. Make sure that its formatted nicely, not with italics or bold font for the whole body of text. Think about how attractive it would look to you if you were sent here by google. Your threads are effectively pages in the PSU internet magazine.

Ok, I'ma leave it at that for now. I'd love to hear your thoughts on this. As I start seeing what SEO things we can improve upon at the site, I'll address it here so that we can all do our part in getting PSU into more peoples searches and getting more people to stay when they come here.
    Last edited by Ghost; 11-07-2013 at 21:07.

Thread Information