Latest PSU headlines:

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst ... 2
    overstepping the mark
    PSN ID
    SHAFT_N_BALLS
    Items User name style
    ANd they thought Lucas would never sell off Star Wars...

Quote Originally Posted by F34R View Post
    Ok... I was wrong. Happy?

2. Likes Demi_God likes this post
    Superior Member
    PSN ID
    thanatos144
    Microsoft will not sell Xbox instead if they lose to much money on the Xbox One they will pull a Sega and announce they will only make software. If you don't think it can happen think again. The 360 and halo is the only reason Xbox is still around

tapatalk post

Forum Elder
    Good thing this is all pure speculation. When asked by Bloomberg to comment, Microsoft replied, "We appreciate Bloomberg's foray into fiction and look forward to future episodes."
    http://techreport.com/news/25629/rep...-xbox-business

Dedicated Member
    PSN ID
    Kamikaze_Krunch
    Items User name style
    Yea, but it's like I said before. If they are making that much money off of royalties from Android devices ($2 billion +), than they will most likely do the same with stuff that's in the Xbox system. Stuff such as skype, windows OS, etc etc. This would technically mean that the Xbox Division is gone, but the stuff within that division will be licensed out. Chances are they would make much more money doing it like that anyway.

PSU Live Streamer
    While I don't like the xbox personally, and I rip on some of their methods to essentially steal money from its consumer base with corporate money grabbing moves. It's existence has helped the playstation brand evolve in ways it most likely wouldn't have without that type of competition.

The removal of the xbox brand at this point? I probably wouldn't miss it....but in the same breath I wouldn't know if i would miss it. Just like had it never existed and Sony never adapted a more online system, would I have missed it? ....would I have known I would miss it? Who knows.

Competition can breed innovation in an industry. The PS2 might have been a dominant force. But it wasn't exactly the most impressive console thats ever been made either. And I think the PS3 would have just been PS2.5 without MS as a competitor introducing a stronger online element.

Just my 2 cents

Come find me on Twitch.tv!

Superior Member
    just not profitable enough to move the needle that much at the company.

Not surprised as the console is really only successful int he U.S. As a global product the return profit is not nearly enough. Then all the price cuts without cutting dev costs and the replacements for the broken consoles it makes sense. This is actually better for gaming as MS's business plan for gaming has not been about games. Maybe another company can actually make Xbox a none generic brand? Especially with the PS4 slated to completely dominate it.

8. Likes thanatos144 likes this post
    Forum Sage
    Items BarcelonaPS3 Slim360 Slim
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Quote Originally Posted by DarkNemesis View Post
    just not profitable enough to move the needle that much at the company.

Not surprised as the console is really only successful int he U.S. As a global product the return profit is not nearly enough. Then all the price cuts without cutting dev costs and the replacements for the broken consoles it makes sense. This is actually better for gaming as MS's business plan for gaming has not been about games. Maybe another company can actually make Xbox a none generic brand? Especially with the PS4 slated to completely dominate it.
    I wouldn't be so quick to jump the gun on who will dominate. Vita was supposed to dominate 3ds but it's yet to happen, even though vita is far superior.. As for them only being successful in the us, the numbers say different. May I remind you that the US is still the most critical market out there, and not just for MS.

Superior Member
    PSN ID
    thanatos144
    Quote Originally Posted by Sub-stance1 View Post
    I wouldn't be so quick to jump the gun on who will dominate. Vita was supposed to dominate 3ds but it's yet to happen, even though vita is far superior.. As for them only being successful in the us, the numbers say different. May I remind you that the US is still the most critical market out there, and not just for MS.
    The 3DS lost money

Superior Member
    Items Final Fantasy IVAtlus
    It would of been a good idea to sell it and fix up Windows 8 a bit more or do a better upgrade of windows.Microsoft should just stick to PCs.

Extreme Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by John Willaford View Post
    ;How the RRoD didn't kill it is beyond me aside from showing how good 360 games were. With that kind of base, and growth being in mobile and gaming, no, XBOX sale would be absurd.
    it was clear after the RROD that 360 was loved by gamers. the 1b definitely helped but the console survived because people liked the 360 enough that they were willing to go through those disasters.

Nosce te ipsum
    PSN ID
    F34RTEHR34PER
    Items BullySteamGran Turismo 5LiverpoolAppleJoker (limited ICON)Naughty DogMaster ChiefAssassins Creed EzioGears of WarHeavy RainDiablo III
    It definitely wasn't LOVED by anyone. What was appreciated was Microsoft did what they were supposed to do before the masses filed a class action lol.

Forum Sage
    It definitely wasn't LOVED by anyone. What was appreciated was Microsoft did what they were supposed to do before the masses filed a class action lol.
    I thought a class action lawsuit was filed....?

So first Stephen Elop sells Nokia to Microsoft, then moves to Microsoft, and now wants to sell parts of it?! What is it with this guy and selling?

Sent from my ME371MG using Tapatalk

Apprentice
    PSN ID
    Georges_2251
    Items Final Fantasy Tactics
    I wouldn't put it past him.
    Your sig is too friggin' big. Please change it. ~ PSU Staff

Apprentice
    PSN ID
    Georges_2251
    Items Final Fantasy Tactics
    Quote Originally Posted by TAZ427 View Post
    Elop's a master at driving businesses into the ground. He did it with Nokia and now wants to take Ballmer's job and do it to MS.

That said, I believe the Gaming division at MS has actually had a very free hand to do what the hell it wanted a MS, and if they were to separate the gaming division off with it being more self reliant for funding (R&D money) and working with major chip vendors for HW, and major game companies w/o MS backing they would actually be much more restricted than they are today.

That said, it was a simple one liner saying he'd consider selling any business unit he didn't see as being critical. Basically saying he wouldn't **** things up by trying to go/stay too broad like he did with Nokia.
    I personally believe he was a Trojan Horse sent by Microsoft. He was just there to cheapen the company and so Microsoft could buy it (or the mobile division + patents) as NSN and Satnav are unaffected
    Your sig is too friggin' big. Please change it. ~ PSU Staff

Elite Sage
    PSN ID
    TidalPhoenix
    Items User name style
    Quote Originally Posted by Two4DaMoney View Post
    sell 343 and Rare to Sony and I wouldn't care about Xbox being gone. Ps2 dominated, had great games. Save the "competition" bs for someone else.

Sony would at least let Rare produce other games and not cancel them all like MS.(that canceled Rare games thread was very telling of MS)
    Actually it's not the generation you are in where the lack of competition is a problem, it's the following generation. No competition reduces the need for innovation. You end up in the 'money for old rope' syndrome. Sony believed when they released the PS3 that they could charge whatever they wanted for their console. They believed the PS3 would inherit the PS2 market share. They simply didn't believe anyone would catch them (and neither did many in these forums). They really thought the 360 and Wii would die an early death.

What they ended up realising was that they made mistake. The console was too expensive and people didn't flock to the PS3. They lost a lot of market share. This time we are all saying now how well they are entering this new generation. They learned! They learned because they knew competition will be tight. Remember they are the company that laughed at achievements and then introduced trophies, poo pooed Xbox Live and then adopted over time some of its features, said that nobody would need rumble in their controllers now (and then introduced it once they settled their legal dispute) and then introduced Move to counter the Wii motion controls. Everyone of those decisions made the PS3 a better console!

At the end of the day you NEED competition in any market. It's keeps the companies on their toes so that they don't start doing an Apple and just 'assuming' that everyone will flock to whatever they do next because they have no choice. Competition is key!
    Last edited by Sparc; 11-11-2013 at 19:34.

19. Likes Two4DaMoney , Admartian likes this post
    Veteran
    Items Manchester United
    Didn't elop go from microsoft to nokia, take nokia apart, inflicted windows mobile upon it to finish it off and has returned to ms, job done...

Super Moderator
    PSN ID
    admartian
    Items ArsenalVitaUser name styleSteamPS3 Slim
    Quote Originally Posted by jj03 View Post
    Didn't elop go from microsoft to nokia, take nokia apart, inflicted windows mobile upon it to finish it off and has returned to ms, job done...
    And he would've gotten away with it too if it weren't for you pesky kids!!!

22. Likes Sparc likes this post
    Extreme Poster
    but no one would want to continue to buy the 360 after people knew theirs could go down the ****ter at any point. that implies that they loved the console.

Thread Information