Page 1 of 3 1 ... LastLast
    Forum Sage

Xbox One won’t play games out of the box, requires day one patch

If you unbox and turn on an Xbox One on November 22nd, make sure you have an internet connection nearby. Microsoft has revealed that a day one patch for its upcoming next-gen console will be a requirement to play games and access basic apps on the console. "Functionally, you will be able to do very little without taking the day one update," said Microsoft’s senior director of Xbox product management Albert Penello in an interview with Engadget recently.

Out of the box you can do “nothing” according to Penello. “You need the Day One update.” Microsoft confirmed Penello's comments toThe Verge. "An initial, one-time system update is required for your Xbox One to function," says a Microsoft spokesperson.

The day one patch, expected to take around 15 or 20 minutes to download, will update the Xbox One to the latest dashboard operating system. Microsoft previously revealed details of the day one patch in June, but it wasn’t known that the console would be rendered useless without it. "You're gonna need to take this update. It's not gonna be really an optional thing,” adds Penello, noting that a lot of the new apps come with the update. Sony has a similar update for its PlayStation 4 console.

Out of the box, the PlayStation 4 won’t play Blu-rays or DVDs without Sony’s patch. However games are still expected to function out of the box on the PS4.

Source
    http://www.theverge.com/2013/11/8/5080750/xbox-one-day-one-patch-required-to-play-games

--

If I recall right, Ixion was the one who said the update will enable offline gameplay? He was right.

Superior Member
    PSN ID
    Skullomainia
    Hasn't this been the case ever since they did a 180 about always online? I'm sure they said at the time the box would still need a one time connection to the net to activate it..

Supreme Veteran
    PSN ID
    MagicManGSC
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Quote Originally Posted by sainraja View Post
    If I recall right, Ixion was the one who said the update will enable offline gameplay? He was right.[/FONT][/COLOR]
    F34R said he would lose the bet if he has to connect his Xbox One to the internet to play games. So technically, he loses the bet, but I was referring to the policies Microsoft had in place when they first announced the Xbox One.

When the Xbox One was announced, they said an internet connection was required. F34R refused to believe it. It was true, but Microsoft ended up changing their policies.

Now only the launch consoles will require an internet connection for this patch.

4. Likes PS4freak likes this post
    Forum Sage
    Quote Originally Posted by Malt View Post
    Hasn't this been the case ever since they did a 180 about always online? I'm sure they said at the time the box would still need a one time connection to the net to activate it..
    It wasn't clear if you would be able to use the console without downloading the update. The update only takes 15 - 20 minutes (not sure what speed they base that on) so it shouldn't be a big deal for most and you'll connect to the internet regardless. But it can be a problem for some. I posted this because I remember we had a discussion around this.

Quote Originally Posted by Ixion View Post
    F34R said he would lose the bet if he has to connect his Xbox One to the internet to play games. So technically, he loses the bet, but I was referring to the policies Microsoft had in place when they first announced the Xbox One.

When the Xbox One was announced, they said an internet connection was required. F34R refused to believe it. It turns out that was the case, but Microsoft ended up changing their policies.

Now only the launch consoles will require an internet connection for this patch.
    Ah, I gotcha. I couldn't remember exactly. Thanks!

Friendship is Carrots
    Indeed. This has been known, but seemingly forgotten. It's still a stupid decision on Microsoft's part.
    Add me on Steam!

[Forum Rules]
    - [PSN] - [Programmers' Corner]

Forum Sage
    It has been known? Well, I thought there was confusion surrounding it. Some people believed that it would enable offline playback and others said that it wouldn't.

The Verge article itself states that it wasn't clear. So it wasn't just me?

Oh well, hmm, I guess what they can do is ship the update on a disc or with the games (that would have required the update to be ready before the game is gold though.)

Superior Member
    PSN ID
    Skullomainia
    It has been known? Well, I thought there was confusion surrounding it. Some people believed that it would enable offline playback and others said that it wouldn't.

The Verge article itself states that it wasn't clear. So it wasn't just me?

Oh well, hmm, I guess what they can do is ship the update on a disc or with the games (that would have required the update to be ready before the game is gold though.)
    There has been so much published about MS and their policy changes its not surprising that some things go missing. I know Sony are planning to release the 300mb day one update on disc by request, I can't see why MS can't do the same..

Elite Guru
    Items Naughty DogMetal Gear SolidPlayStation
    Old news. PS4 also has a day one patch enabling a multitude of features.

Dedicated Member
    Yeah, this is the part of online I didn't want to inherit from the PC world.

Superior Member
    PSN ID
    Skullomainia
    Just read this on IGN as well, I don't know why the game sites are reporting this like it is new news?

Superior Member
    PSN ID
    Skullomainia
    Here you go, article from 19th June just after the 180:

"An internet connection will not be required to play offline Xbox One games - After a one-time system set-up with a new Xbox One, you can play any disc based game without ever connecting online again. There is no 24 hour connection requirement and you can take your Xbox One anywhere you want and play your games, just like on Xbox 360.

http://www.computerandvideogames.com...line-policies/

13. Likes EHY893 likes this post
    Elite Guru
    Must be a slow news day.

15. Likes Malt likes this post
    Forum Sage
    Items BarcelonaPS3 Slim360 Slim
    Quote Originally Posted by emmerich View Post
    Indeed. We already knew this months ago. Shouldn't be any problems with people here since they obviously have the internet.

Superior Member
    old news. Ps4 also has a day one patch enabling a multitude of features.
    major difference: You can play games out of the box and download patch in the background

Elite Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by Peregrin8X View Post
    major difference: You can play games out of the box and download patch in the background
    Irrelevant.

Veteran
    PSN ID
    snooper71
    Items Naughty Dog
    Irrelevant.
    How is it irrelevent? One will work out of the box for it's main intended function (gaming) WITHOUT connecting it, the other won't.

Sent from my C6506 using Tapatalk

Next Gen top picks:
    PS4: Infamous SS, DriveClub
    One: Project spark, Forza 5
    Multi: Watchdogs, The crew, FFXV, KHIII

Elite Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by snooper71 View Post
    How is it irrelevent? One will work out of the box for it's main intended function (gaming) WITHOUT connecting it, the other won't.

Irrelevant because I simply brought up the fact both need day 1 patches. The fact one can be downloaded at the same time as you play is irrelevant. Both still require an internet connection to get that patch. Therefore. Irrelevant.

I never mentioned anything about gaming out the box just the fact they need a patch day 1.

edit:

My comment in here has nothing to do with the article, you may be getting me confused for saying that both need a patch to play games on day 1. I never actually said that. Make sense now?

However, correct me if I'm wrong but you do need a patch on PS4 on day 1 to play online. Obviously this doesn't affect Single Player.
    Last edited by EHY893; 11-08-2013 at 18:20.

Veteran
    PSN ID
    snooper71
    Items Naughty Dog
    Irrelevant because I simply brought up the fact both need day 1 patches. The fact one can be downloaded at the same time as you play is irrelevant. Both still require an internet connection to get that patch. Therefore. Irrelevant.

I never mentioned anything about gaming out the box just the fact they need a patch day 1.
    Ok, i got confused. I was under the impression the OT was about gaming functionality without adding the day one patch....

Next Gen top picks:

Apprentice
    PSN ID
    X-x-Stallion-x-X
    Items LBP Sephiroth
    Read my edit. If I'm not mistaken, gaming functionality is partly restricted (not fully functional) without day 1 patch.
    I'd imagine the servers are going to be HAMMERED on day one, so the fact you can still use your PS4 to play games offline if you can't get the patch straight away is a great deal better than sitting around waiting for servers to respond should there be issues.

Heres hoping the servers all work perfectly though (as we should expect them to), i won't be getting the XBox, but i still don't want people to be disappointed.

Don't go around believing that Great Wizards solve all your problems, because there aren't any and they don't and I should know because I'm not one...

Veteran
    PSN ID
    snooper71
    Items Naughty Dog
    Read my edit. If I'm not mistaken, gaming functionality is partly restricted (not fully functional) without day 1 patch.
    I'm not sure about the multiplayer aspect but I'm guessing it will be mandatory FW once connected and I hate to state the obvious but if you're going multiplayer, you will be connecting your console regardless

Unless it also restrict local multiplayer?

Next Gen top picks:

24. Likes EHY893 likes this post
    Elite Guru
    It doesn't matter anyway, my original point was that it needs a patch, nothing to do with gaming on day 1. So I went ahead and deleted my last post cause I felt it was pointless.

My point still stands though. He was irrelevant as I wasn't talking about gaming on day 1. My original post even said "features" not "gaming".

My original quote:
    PS4 also has a day one patch enabling a multitude of features.
    Also this has been a bit of a derailed thread which I partly apologize for. Lets go back on topic.

Forum Sage
    It's not really old news. This patch enables offline playback of games. PS4's doesn't. PS4 can play games without the update.

No one was saying it's a "huge" deal. It's only if you choose to look at it that way.

We can comment on why it should or shouldn't be the way it is right now. This isn't a VS topic (the article never stated that the PS4 doesn't need a patch, it mentions that it does and specifies what for.)
    Last edited by sainraja; 11-08-2013 at 18:50.

Extreme Poster
    PSN ID
    mistercrow
    Yeah I remember MS saying this a long time ago. Still sucks though. Edit - just saw Sainrajas explanation.^
    Last edited by mistercrow; 11-08-2013 at 18:52.

Extreme Poster
    PSN ID
    mistercrow
    It's not really old news. This patch enables offline playback of games. PS4's doesn't. PS4 can play games without the update. No one was saying it's a "huge" deal. It's only if you choose to look at it that way. We can comment on why it should or shouldn't be the way it is right now. This isn't a VS topic.
    Yeah youre right.

Elite Guru
    I agree that it sucks. I'm actually curious. Will Kinect 2.0 need to be connected to the XO for the patch to work? As far as I'm aware the patch also disables mandatory Kinect right? That is a bit of a pain in the ass. Was hoping I'd never need to unwrap Kinect.

Thread Information