Page 1 of 5 1 ... LastLast
    Forum Sage
    Items BarcelonaPS3 Slim360 Slim
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!

PlayStation 4 May Well Be Make or Break for Struggling Sony

No doubt this holiday will ease up some of that tension.

Not playing around
    We recently reported on Sony's less than successful second quarter financial results – a respectable ¥3.5 billion ($35 million) profit in the first quarter was followed by a dismal net loss of ¥19.3 billion ($197 million) in the second. The poor performance was attributed to a sluggish turn by the organisation's movie division, Sony Pictures.
    These numbers are no doubt giving the company's president Kazuo Hirai a major headache – and aBloomberg report reveals the extent of this. Tokyo-based investment officer Kazuyuki Terao notes that Hirai's hold on the business is tenuous. "It seems like Hirai is standing on ice that’s melting right under his feet,” Terao said. "The market is changing a lot faster than anyone expected, and Sony hasn’t been able to keep up.”
    But the recently appointed president has a plan for the Christmas period that's set to get the company back in shape again, and the impending PlayStation 4 is right at the forefront. As previously announced, Sony aims to sell five million next generation consoles by March 2014, and hopes to supplement this with annual PlayStation Plus subscriptions.
    While pre-orders are certainly looking strong, the PS4's performance this holiday season will still be closely watched says analyst Damian Thong. "How fast the PS4 comes off the blocks will be a closely watched indicator of Hirai’s performance," he explained. "If they miss targets, there will be a lot of questions about whether they can turn things around.”
    http://www.pushsquare.com/news/2013/...truggling_sony

2. Likes John Willaford likes this post
    Elite Guru
    Items Naughty DogMetal Gear SolidPlayStation
    I think they'll do just fine.

4. Likes DarkNemesis likes this post

Struggling?? ha ha haaaaaaa

6. Likes DarkNemesis, Demi_God likes this post
    Ultimate Veteran
    Items PlayStationPS3 Slim
    Over a million preorders.

- Symmetrical thumb sticks for life -

Veteran
    PSN ID
    snooper71
    Items Naughty Dog
    Quote Originally Posted by Praetor Illuminatus View Post
    That's already being discussed in a dedicated thread.

Sent from my C6506 using Tapatalk

Next Gen top picks:
    PS4: Infamous SS, DriveClub
    One: Project spark, Forza 5
    Multi: Watchdogs, The crew, FFXV, KHIII

9. Likes EHY893 likes this post
    PSU Live Streamer
    PSN ID
    xShadow__WoIf | YoungMullah88
    Items User name style
    Lol funny thread is funny....If this is struggling Sony then I likey

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk

Elite Guru
    Items Naughty DogMetal Gear SolidPlayStation
    Quote Originally Posted by youngmullah88 View Post
    lol funny thread is funny....if this is struggling sony then i likey

sent from my sm-n900t using tapatalk
    MOAR struggling pleazzzzz!

PSU Technical Advisor
    PSN ID
    UK-Varsh
    Items User name style
    You guys might be laughing at this but Sony actually have been seriously struggling the last several years, selling of many HQs, manufacturing plants, closing of various owned companies, selling off IPs in both the movie and game industry, losing money rapidly in the music department, they are right that the PS4 is the one that will keep Sony afloat like the PS2 did when their TV, Hi-Fi, and Camera business was selling poorly.

So far with Hirai in control he is streamlining the company and doing a major re-jig to get the company profitable again. So far his current success is with the latest Mobile Phone which is selling extremely well and is currently profitable, however I can't think of any of their other divisions that's profitable right now and no the games division is not. I would imagine by at least February next year is when Sony will start to have the games division profitable or at least breaking even. The PS+ subscription is going to help them exponentially this time around as this is one point where I believe they lost an awful amount of cash flow.

Extreme Poster
    PSN ID
    mistercrow
    Sony is doomed! Oh nohz! Lmao.

Veteran
    This questioning is more than understandable imo, Sony as a brand hasn't been that well lately economy wise and taking a fail with PS4 could lead to an irreversible turn of events which could even go as far as Sony's despair but I hardly doubt the PS4 will fail, I'm sure they will meet their goals at launch and in the future.

Extreme Poster
    PSN ID
    mistercrow
    Quote Originally Posted by YoungMullah88 View Post
    Lol funny thread is funny....If this is struggling Sony then I likey Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk
    Yep, same here.

Legend
    PSN ID
    F34RTEHR34PER
    Items BullySteamGran Turismo 5LiverpoolAppleJoker (limited ICON)Naughty DogMaster ChiefAssassins Creed EzioGears of WarHeavy RainDiablo III
    If Sony were at a make or break level, and it was up to the PS4 to save them, then they will be just fine.

Administrator
    PSN ID
    rokushakubo
    Awards PSU+ Patriot
    If Sony can release the most powerful home console when it's standing on melting ice, imagine what it would release if it were standing on solid rock. Sony has always been the underdog, the struggling one, yet has always put out big time. I have a feeling that PS4 is going to turn the tides for Sony but time will tell. Maybe it is the end!

18. Likes John Willaford likes this post
    Dedicated Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Varsh View Post
    You guys might be laughing at this but Sony actually have been seriously struggling the last several years, selling of many HQs, manufacturing plants, closing of various owned companies, selling off IPs in both the movie and game industry, losing money rapidly in the music department, they are right that the PS4 is the one that will keep Sony afloat like the PS2 did when their TV, Hi-Fi, and Camera business was selling poorly.

So far with Hirai in control he is streamlining the company and doing a major re-jig to get the company profitable again. So far his current success is with the latest Mobile Phone which is selling extremely well and is currently profitable, however I can't think of any of their other divisions that's profitable right now and no the games division is not. I would imagine by at least February next year is when Sony will start to have the games division profitable or at least breaking even. The PS+ subscription is going to help them exponentially this time around as this is one point where I believe they lost an awful amount of cash flow.
    This is a wholly valid point.
    MS has serious issues as well.
    XBL was a great monetization vector for MS but RRoD killed any money they likely made there.
    SONY lost a great deal per unit sold, so anything PSN did probably didn't make up for it.
    BOTH of these systems need more monetization but it's how you come about it.

I get paying a yearly fee of about one game's worth to game online, servers cost money, i never once griped about Live.

To access other services through my system via subscription is fine too.
    Its when , as MS found out, that you put a shrinkwrap license on console games making them worthless for trade and ownership and say you'll keep everything under your little warped grubby hands that I and most people lose it.

There's this sucky bad Gladiator game on PSN that actually lets you buy HUNDREDS of real dollars worth Gold to use in the game for HUNDREDS of real dollars... and the menu DOESN'T look like your going out to PSN until the very end, that's horrible, and some parents are gonna get ripped there.

Give me some in game items or expansions that i can pay for, and, make some exclusive items, like are in EVE ONLINE that only exist in that game or one someone's account after they buy it or find it and let us monetize that in the game, and charge a trade fee (5 cent or so lets say) even if you want.
    HINT!
    I'd find that stuff cool, but, nothing like what MS was planning. Do something we'll find cool and you'll earn money, pick us off and you get what MS got! Simple enough.

Dedicated Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghost View Post
    If Sony can release the most powerful home console when it's standing on melting ice, imagine what it would release if it were standing on solid rock. Sony has always been the underdog, the struggling one, yet has always put out big time. I have a feeling that PS4 is going to turn the tides for Sony but time will tell. Maybe it is the end!
    Nintendo's complacency and idiocy saved both of these companies.
    With the money they made off Wii they rightly should have released a competitive system WITH that WiiPad touchscreen and kicked both companies in the teeth as they suffered. But, Nintendo had to fall back on thinking they knew all again, sad.

Apprentice
    PSN ID
    HermesTheGod
    lol, struggling sony.

Dedicated Member
    PSN ID
    Syphon_Filter
    Items User name styleinFamousPSN LogoBattlefield 3NvidiaSteamPS3 SlimVita
Gift received at 01-31-2013 from Metal King SlimeColeBattlefield 3
    They will be fine and these articles are useless as we have 1000 of them indicating so many companies are going down. So, I don't no how many articles we have read about this.

CPU: I7 3820--GPU: Asus Gtx 670 2GB--Motherboard: BioStar TpowerX79--HDD: Seagate 2TB--CPU COOLING: Corsair Hydro H80--Case: CoolerMaster RC932 Haf--RAM: 16GB 1333 DDR3 Corsair--Sony Dvd X18 Player: Power Supply: Seasonic 760W--Windows 7 64Bit, Monitor: HP Led 2311X--TV: Samsung LED TV 120HZ Un40d6000--PS3 Super Slim 1TB HDD--PS3 Slim 750GB--PS VITA 32GB.

Valar Morghulis
    PSN ID
    SerinousTSE
    Items PS3 FatVitaPS3 Slim
    Struggling how?

Ultimate Veteran
    sony will be fine they are only loseing like 50 dollars a console with ps plus and a game they will break even.
    sony will make los of money with plus

Dedicated Member
    PSN ID
    Kamikaze_Krunch
    Items User name style
    They can easily make that money back and then some. I won't be surprised if their stock goes up quite a bit in 2014. Sony has the right attitude and they are also giving out to a vast amount of companies for HDD's, headsets, I won't be surprised to see a boom of controllers, different types of apps which will appear on the PS4, and just so much more.

The PS4 is nothing like the PS3, which was losing more money compared to what the PS4 will lose. HOME wasn't recovering the cost and neither was music unlimited. Part of it is clearly due to the bluray format because it was sold at a premium price. That $50 or $60 won't be hard to make up, as well as making a profit.

Ultimate Veteran
    Items PlayStationPS3 Slim
    Oh man, when those early figures roll in and PS4 is out selling the Xbox One 2:1, 4:1, 6:1 or even 10:1 oh man!

- Symmetrical thumb sticks for life -

Apprentice
    PSN ID
    N0REGARD4LIFE
    Items PlayStationDiceBattlefield 3
    These are scary times to be a gamer. News of SONY being in make or break situation with the PS4, and now there are grumblings that whoever takes over the CEO spot of MS, might sell off the XBOX division. I hope this gen kicks ass for BOTH consoles.....

Superior Member
    PSN ID
    thanatos144
    Sony will make money if they make good games which means games need ti be fun and to treat gamers with respect

tapatalk post

Forum Sage
    Items BarcelonaPS3 Slim360 Slim
    Quote Originally Posted by thanatos144 View Post
    Sony will make money if they make good games which means games need ti be fun and to treat gamers with respect

tapatalk post
    If only it were that simple.

30. Likes N0REGARD4LIFE likes this post
    Superior Member
    PSN ID
    thanatos144
    Quote Originally Posted by Sub-stance1 View Post
    If only it were that simple.
    Of course it is that simple. They make fun games they make money.

tapatalk post

Thread Information