Latest PSU headlines:

View Poll Results: I think . . .

Voters
10. You may not vote on this poll
  • Bullying and Hazing is just part of NFL culture.

3 30.00%
  • Bullying and Hazing has no place in Sports or anywhere.

5 50.00%
  • Both Parties are at Fault.

1 10.00%
  • Who Cares? The NFL will not exist in the next 10-15 years.

1 10.00%
    Veteran
    Items PS3 SlimVita3DSPlayStation

What's Your Take on the "Jonathan Martin" Situation?

Source

(CNN) -- Vulgar comments, some laced with racial epithets. A physical attack. Threats to him and his family.
    All of this and more -- stretched out over a season and a half -- proved too much for Jonathan Martin to bear, which is why he left the Miami Dolphins last week, his lawyer said.

"Jonathan endured harassment that went far beyond the traditional locker room hazing," the attorney, David Cornwell, said in a prepared statement. "... These facts are not in dispute."

The comments, through the intermediary, break a silence from the offensive lineman who walked out after an incident in the team's cafeteria and hasn't been back since, according to Dolphins head coach Joe Philbin.
    Incognito's actions a behavior pattern? Ricky Williams: NFL not for everyone Reports: NFL player left racist messages
    Days later, Miami suspended Richie Incognito for conduct detrimental to the team. Rumors and news stories flew quickly in the days to come, including a well-publicized voice mail in which Incognito reportedly calls Martin a racial epithet and threatens his life.

Richie Incognito, Jonathan Martin, and the NFL's future

Some also questioned the toughness of Martin, a Stanford University graduate who was in his second NFL season, especially as it came out that he might be seeking help for emotional issues.
    But Cornwell stressed: "Jonathan Martin's toughness is not an issue."

"Jonathan started every game with the Miami Dolphins since he was drafted in 2012," he said of the second-round draft pick. "At Stanford, he was the anchor for Jim Harbaugh's 'smash mouth' brand of football and he protected (then-Stanford, now Indianapolis Colts quarterback) Andrew Luck's blind side.

"The issue is Jonathan's treatment by his teammates."

Cornwell then outlined some of that treatment, including Martin's reaction to it.
    Martin tried "to befriend ... teammates who subjected him to the abuse with the hope that doing so would end the harassment" -- something that Cornwell called "a textbook reaction of victims of bullying."

It didn't work, the lawyer said. Instead, there was more taunting, "a malicious physical attack on him by a teammate and daily vulgar comments" -- including one threatening to have unprotected sex with Martin's sister.

"Eventually, Jonathan made a difficult choice," Cornwell said of Martin leaving the Dolphins. "... Jonathan looks forward to getting back to playing football. In the meantime, he will cooperate fully with the NFL investigation."
    Here's my itty bitty 2 cents on the subject.

I think Martin is not cut out for the NFL. Look at the sport. It's a gladiator sport, even their celebrations are considered a form of bullying.

I think what he is doing is wrong. He is attacking the Dolphins' organization simply because he overreacted to a friendly prank. He does need to grow some scales on his skin.

The Dolphins are wrong because they let this go down, but it's not just the Dolphins who do this. ALL teams do it or you can assume they do.

What do you think?

Currently Playing: Lumines Electronic Symphony (Vita)

Forum Guru
    Kind of surprised by your reaction considering how much you claim to have been bullied and harassed yourself.

My opinion is that Martin is probably a calm, gentle person who's personality is not great for a NFL locker room, but that doesn't mean he's wrong for saying enough is enough and taking action. Richie Incognito is a low class pos and always has been. I wouldn't give him the benefit of the doubt in any situation. Whether Martin could have handled it better isn't the main issue. If he was in fact harassed and bullied at his workplace by his coworkers, he has a legitimate reason for taking action.

Sent from my Infected Rezound using Tapatalk

Super Moderator
    PSN ID
    admartian
    Items ArsenalVitaUser name styleSteamPS3 Slim
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    I didn't vote anything.

I'm not too clued up on the entire story and all the details, but I a, familiar with some of the talking points/gist of it (the voice mail, and the recent text regarding Martin's sister). Personally, I think a bit of lighthearted hazing is fine for rookies. As long as it's all harmless kind of stuff like making rooks wash vets' cars etc.

The moment the person says "enough" - at least in a way that they feel seriously 'hurt' or bullied is when it should stop.

In this case, I tihnk Incognito definitely crossed the line from harmless to hurtful. This is where I believe, he crossed from 'hazing' to 'bullying' - so what I'm saying is, hazing = fine; bullying is not.

#IndieStation4 and proud of it.

Power Member
    Items Gran Turismo 5Michelle MarshDoomid SoftwareCommodore 64Metal Gear Solid
    IF bullying isn't OK in the workplace or schools, college etc then its NOT OK in sports of any kind.

A bit of banter or playing practical jokes on each other is fine but to often say things like Incognito (wow someone needs to take the piss out of this guys name) is alleged to have said and texted to Martin is unacceptable.

El Presidente
    No one should have to go to work and worry about someone saying to them 'I want to **** down your throat.' Don't tell me this crap of well that's the culture of the NFL. Really? Then that needs to change or they need to keep a lid on incidents like this permanently because I don't want to hear about it. I don't care if it's an ultra moncho environment and that's how they talk to each other. That's disgusting.
    Last edited by podsaurus; 11-09-2013 at 02:51.

This isn't even just the NFL, stuff like this happens in all sports. It's just locker room culture. The NFL should be ashamed that this kind of thing goes on in their lockerrooms.

Forum Sage

Quote Originally Posted by The Black Wolf View Post
    Source

Here's my itty bitty 2 cents on the subject.

I think Martin is not cut out for the NFL. Look at the sport. It's a gladiator sport, even their celebrations are considered a form of bullying.

I think what he is doing is wrong. He is attacking the Dolphins' organization simply because he overreacted to a friendly prank. He does need to grow some scales on his skin.

The Dolphins are wrong because they let this go down, but it's not just the Dolphins who do this. ALL teams do it or you can assume they do.

What do you think?
    A bit hypocritical of a position to have, don't you think? If your position is, that bullying is wrong in the education and professional environments, then a consistent approach should automatically mean that it would be intolerable in the sports environment too, should it not?

Superior Member
    PSN ID
    KillingSpree0
    I love it, maybe my team can now get it's first win tonight

Anime-Planet.com - anime | manga | reviews

Veteran
    Items PS3 SlimVita3DSPlayStation
    I don't see where I stated I was in favor of bullying.

Currently Playing: Lumines Electronic Symphony (Vita)

Forum Elder
    I agree with your assessment of wolfe. this and worse than this goes on in every NFL locker room.

it is a man's sport played among men. all rookies are treated like $#@! their first year that's just the way it is.

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk 2
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Quote Originally Posted by chrisw26308 View Post
    I agree with your assessment of wolfe. this and worse than this goes on in every NFL locker room.

it is a man's sport played among men. all rookies are treated like $#@! their first year that's just the way it is.

And you don't think that is wrong? I think everyone on a team should be treated fairly...

Super Moderator
    PSN ID
    admartian
    Items ArsenalVitaUser name styleSteamPS3 Slim
    Quote Originally Posted by chrisw26308 View Post

I think that's fair enough if it's all in good fun.

But a lot of the stuff that's come out exceeds that and crosses the line imo.

#IndieStation4 and proud of it.

Forum Elder
    PSN ID
    GreatnessRD
    Items User name style
    You're a full grown man. Stand your damn ground. These 90s babies are pathetic and weak.

$Greatness$ Awaits™

14. Likes Malt likes this post
    Superior Member
    PSN ID
    Skullomainia
    It's typical of what happens in an all male environment, be it in a sports team, amongst a group of soldiers or a bunch of workers on a building site.. It's just blokes being blokes..

Thread Information