Page 1 of 2 1 ... LastLast
    Superior Member
    PSN ID
    jhuff

PS4- New PSN ID and Account or Not?

Team,

I'm curious about whether people are going to be transferring their PSN ID's over or not. I'm also confused. First, Sony has said that you cannot change your PSN ID. This means that if you had all or part of your real name in your ID, or you had a "stupid" PSN ID, you cannot change it. At the same time, they have said that you can go by your real name OR another name "in games." Does this mean we have a communication issue here and that when you specify what your "real name" is you'll be able to insert a 'handle' instead and go by that in games even though you cannot change your actual PSN ID? That would still basically be what everyone has requested.

Putting that aside- let's assume you have no choice but to use your current PSN ID or your full real name as your in game ID. How many of you will simply transfer your account over from the PS3? Is anyone considering just setting up a NEW full account so they can actually have the name they want for this generation?

I for one am considering it, but I'm going to carefully look and see if there hasn't just been a miscommunication and what I actually want isn't possible already. See, my issue isn't that I have a 'handle' like "A$$Luv3n69" or anything like that. I didn't read anything and when I set up my PSN account I used first initial and last name, just like a logon ID to Windows or something. That has allowed idiots to track me down on Facebook or LinkedIN and put angry posts on my pages because I happened to kill them in Warhawk or some other game and they didn't like that. So I definitely DON'T want to just use my full real name in games. I want to be able to use a 'handle' or alias.

Anyone else in this same boat? What EXACTLY will transfer over to the PS4 from my current PSN account? My gamer score? Any other or any actual benefits to rolling over my account instead of setting up a completely new PSN ID?

All you have to decide is what to do with the time give to you....
    http://www.woodchuckproductions.net

PSU Live Streamer
    I'm stayin as me. I have no reason to change. My psn name doesn't bother me enough to warrant a change.

Come find me on Twitch.tv!

PSU Live Streamer
    PSN ID
    xShadow__WoIf | YoungMullah88
    Items User name style
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Staying with my og name but I did make another name for multiplayer gaming only

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk

Elite Guru
    PSN ID
    TAZ427
    First, it's not transferring your account from PS3 over to PS4. It's simply using your existing PSN account.

I'd guess that the vast majority of people didn't choose a poor PSN ID, but for those who did, why haven't they already created a new PSN account and started using it?

Those potential reasons (Trophies, PS+ Accounts, Etc.) are the same reasons why someone who would like to change their PSN ID's would be hesitant to simply create a new account now, since all of these things carry forward.

It's up to them to determine if it's worth it to make a clean break now.

Ultimate Veteran
    I won't change my ps name

Legend
    PSN ID
    F34RTEHR34PER
    Items BullySteamGran Turismo 5LiverpoolAppleJoker (limited ICON)Naughty DogMaster ChiefAssassins Creed EzioGears of WarHeavy RainDiablo III
    Staying with the same name and account.

Super Elite
    PSN ID
    robvandam111
    Items User name style
    Staying with mine as well. I'm a legend in Resistance Fall of Man.

3DS: 4613-6960-4293

PSN ID
    DaGrandMastah
    I changed mine from DaGrandMasta to DaGrandMastah. That H makes a difference. That's the proper way to spell it per the Wu-Tang Clan.

PSU Editor
    PSN ID
    bizarro_thirteen
    No need to change for me. Mine is just a different spelling of my Xbox Live tag.

Dedicated Member
    PSN ID
    Swordsman-45
    Items User name styleOne Piece
    can not moving my trophies and ps+ accounts = can not change.
    (_)
    ( _)>⌐■-■
    (⌐■_■)

MyAnimeList

Stop preordering games! Stop buying day1 games! Stop being idiots!

11. Likes F34R likes this post
    PSN ID
    KCgamester
    Keeping mine.

Elite Guru
    Items Naughty DogMetal Gear SolidPlayStation
    I'm considering making a new one. I really never thought about it when I made my PSN ID in 2008. Only thing stopping me is I have a fair amount of platinum trophies and I put a lot of time in to some of them games. Also my PS+ sub still has over a year to expire.

So, I'm still undecided. I may create a second account to go alongside my current one.

maybe in the future sony will make an update to where you can change your PSN ID like the xbox does already

Elite Guru
    Items Naughty DogMetal Gear SolidPlayStation
    Quote Originally Posted by ThaDon187 View Post
    maybe in the future sony will make an update to where you can change your PSN ID like the xbox does already
    That would be amazing. I pray they one day allow it.

PSU Editor
    PSN ID
    NeoShockWave
    Items Title StyleLiquid Ocelotid SoftwareKonamiUser name styleNaughty DogBig BossTidusPlayStationManchester UnitedAuron
    I have a feeling they will announce it in the coming months, for a monetary fee I imagine. I'm still happy with my ID so it'll be making the transition over!

Follow me on Twitter @Adam_PSU for all things PlayStation!

Racing Game Fanatic!!
    PSN ID
    Duffman19864
    Items Title StyleVitaPS3 Slim
    I will probably change mine as it was based on a car I sold 3 years ago, think it maybe about time I gave myself a new one and the PS4 being released is even more reason to!
    PSN ID: Duffman19864

Twitter ID: Duffman1986

Twitch ID: http://www.twitch.tv/duffman041986/profile

My Youtube Gaming Channel - Now with commentary: Duffman Gaming

Superior Member
    PSN ID
    Skullomainia
    Keeping mine.. It's the name of a Street Fighter II ex+ alpha character, even though I spelled it wrong! I have about 20 games on my boys 320GB slim PS3 and about 3/4 will become unplayable if I change the account I have ps+ on. I'm not forking out for two PS+ subs when one can cover my old PS3, my boys PS3 and the PS4..

Elite Member
    Items User name style
    Quote Originally Posted by jphuff View Post
    I for one am considering it, but I'm going to carefully look and see if there hasn't just been a miscommunication and what I actually want isn't possible already. See, my issue isn't that I have a 'handle' like "A$$Luv3n69" or anything like that. I didn't read anything and when I set up my PSN account I used first initial and last name, just like a logon ID to Windows or something. That has allowed idiots to track me down on Facebook or LinkedIN and put angry posts on my pages because I happened to kill them in Warhawk or some other game and they didn't like that. So I definitely DON'T want to just use my full real name in games. I want to be able to use a 'handle' or alias.

Anyone else in this same boat? What EXACTLY will transfer over to the PS4 from my current PSN account? My gamer score? Any other or any actual benefits to rolling over my account instead of setting up a completely new PSN ID?
    When you realized your mistake, why didn't you immediately make another account with the name you wanted?

As for me, I'm definitely sticking with Merchant. I was lucky to be an early adopter this gen so I didn't have to misspell or add numbers to my name. New accounts may have a hard time getting the name they want at this point.

Veteran
    I only wish I could change the lower and upper case letters, but I'm keeping mine.

Master Guru
    Items FuturamaGoogle ChromeAmerican DadHalf-Life 2Battlefield 3User name style
    I have an account from when I used to game on my bro's ps3, but hasn't been used in years. So I'm not attached to it and have made a new one for ps4.

Don't Steal. Don't Molest Little Children. Don't Deal Drugs.

Apprentice
    Keep mine too. I thought of a few other ones just in case as I like a name that invokes mystery!! I am named after my favourite deep house music artist from Germany (without the 2003). His music is really rather good
    Last edited by timewriter2003; 11-09-2013 at 21:24.

Apprentice
    PSN ID
    NeoTokyoOutlaw
    I'm definitely creating a new PSN ID. In fact, I currently have a list going of potential names. Not to belittle the PlayStation, but I purchased my PS3 in the fall of 2006 and have barely touched it ever since. I did the majority of my console gaming on the Xbox 360 and in recent years the PC. I only have a handful trophies so, I'm not too bothered about starting over.

Elite Member
    PSN ID
    FaLLeNMoNkEy
    Quote Originally Posted by robvandam111 View Post
    Staying with mine as well. I'm a legend in Resistance Fall of Man.
    Then you must know of muah.

Superior Member
    PSN ID
    jhuff
    Quote Originally Posted by Merchant View Post
    When you realized your mistake, why didn't you immediately make another account with the name you wanted?

As for me, I'm definitely sticking with Merchant. I was lucky to be an early adopter this gen so I didn't have to misspell or add numbers to my name. New accounts may have a hard time getting the name they want at this point.
    Simple answer. I realized early on that I was being called that in games, but I didn't realize just how many FREAKS are out there. Yeah, I thought about changing it but didn't get to it. I assumed I could at any time and it wasn't a big deal. Then I had some freaks hit me up on Facebook and thought I'd better change it....only to find out this was IMPOSSIBLE. Sucked. By that time I had purchased a good number of games that I'd lose, etc. No way to transfer those over to a new account. Found I couldn't even set up ANOTHER account as a sub account as that only works if you're under 18.. Totally BS the way Sony has set this up. All we need even is to be able to set a nickname that identifies us in games. Then we can even KEEP the PSN ID what it is now, but we won't be identified by that in games. Would be simple enough for Sony to link such an alias to a PSN ID and account. Still, for some reason, they either won't or can't.

All you have to decide is what to do with the time give to you....
    http://www.woodchuckproductions.net

Veteran
    I'm fine with mine.

What's upsetting is Japanese PSN account have always been able to change their displayed psn name whenever they want as many times as they want. Yet no other region can.
    Last edited by faaeng; 11-11-2013 at 08:31.
    PCs are very much like Air Conditioners.
    They both become utterly useless once you start to open up Windows....
    ----------------------------------------------

Thread Information