Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst ... 2

Thread: Shop REBOOT!

Administrator
    PSN ID
    rokushakubo
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Awards PSU+ Patriot
    Quote Originally Posted by Ixion View Post
    There's really not much you can do if you don't increase the shop limit. If you want to revamp the shop without doing that, you'll have to delete icons that people already bought.

Personally, besides the limit, I think the shop's main weakness is how confusing it is to navigate. By default, you only see 25 items at a time, which is separated into multiple tabs. You have to click the drop-down to see 250 at a time, which shows most of the tabs, but still not all of them. You should be able to see all the tabs right away, and each tab can have multiple pages.

These are all technical problems though, so hopefully Chris can help you out there.

So until then, all you can do is delete items people already bought and instead add items you think will be more interesting.
    Wow that's retarded. I'll ask Chris if he minds having a poke around.

Elite Sage
    PSN ID
    cuguy
    Items Joker (limited ICON)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghost View Post
    Wow that's retarded. I'll ask Chris if he minds having a poke around.
    all of the things IX said are true... the shop, as it was designed, isn't to be used like PSU uses it.

It was designed to be low traffic, specialized items. Technically, according to the dragonbytes people, using it for "icons" is a rudimentary way to use the shop, not to its fullest potential.

However, our old shop plug in was never updated for VB4.0+ so we couldn't use it again if we wanted to, besides the fact it was full of security holes.

I grabbed the first shop that supported icon-like activity and we ran with it. Never did see one that supported post-bit icons other than that one. This is, of course, going with the directive from Mr. Bishop that we do not want to install 3rd party, free plug ins. He wanted me to get retail, fully developed plug ins. If that restriction is dropped, I am sure there are a couple of postbit shops that could be found.

3. Likes Ghost likes this post
    Legend
    PSN ID
    F34RTEHR34PER
    Items BullySteamGran Turismo 5LiverpoolAppleJoker (limited ICON)Naughty DogMaster ChiefAssassins Creed EzioGears of WarHeavy RainDiablo III
    I can look around and see if there are shop alternatives that lean more to what the site needs. I'll be out of my "office" for about five hours, and then I'll get to work on it.

Forum Sage
    The switch won't be too far off, I'm not going to babble any dates cause I don't know when but so long as we kick ass with the PS4 launch it's a sure bet. Steven is aware of the state of our forum and understands the long overdue

The best thing that the PSU community can do if it wants to move to a new forum quicker is get behind the site and support our content. Posting and discussing articles from PSU's news page, getting behind the Youtube show, sending news stories via that green button up top right. The site's success will be boosted by increased support and awareness, and if people shared and liked and did all these things, it would also help us.

Also, populate the forum with interesting/intelligent content. The site is a living digital magazine and if people come here and see a lot of $#@!ty "articles" (threads) they won't care to stay. If we have threads that are interesting and look nice and are cleverly titled, it helps. I am going to be tightening up this side of the ship. The content we provide will reach a higher standard in order for better lurker attach rate.
    Do you know which forums software we will be switching to?

Vanilla Forums:
    http://vanillaforums.com/

They have quite a few nice features. They also have "achievements."

Administrator and PSU Technical Manager
    Items Death Note LAtlusVitaPS3 FatMetal Gear Solid 4Naughty Dog360 SlimGuerrilla GamesApple
    Quote Originally Posted by Ixion View Post
    There's really not much you can do if you don't increase the shop limit. If you want to revamp the shop without doing that, you'll have to delete icons that people already bought.

Personally, besides the limit, I think the shop's main weakness is how confusing it is to navigate. By default, you only see 25 items at a time, which is separated into multiple tabs. You have to click the drop-down to see 250 at a time, which shows most of the tabs, but still not all of them. You should be able to see all the tabs right away, and each tab can have multiple pages.

These are all technical problems though, so hopefully Chris can help you out there.

So until then, all you can do is delete items people already bought and instead add items you think will be more interesting.
    Unfortunately, there isn't much we can do with this. vbShop isn't designed all that well, imo. My biggest complaint is that it doesn't persist the tab you are on when you go to the next page. I thought this was a problem with our implementation, but it acts the same way on dragon bytes own shop.

Regarding the number of items, I saw where F34R had already brought this up with the dragon byte guys on their forums couple of months ago. They responded that it was "by design". F34R replied "So, it's designed to not display properly?" lol.....good ole F34R. They said they would look at this in a later release. No ETA.

Quote Originally Posted by sainraja View Post
    Do you know which forums software we will be switching to?

Vanilla Forums:
    http://vanillaforums.com/

They have quite a few nice features. They also have "achievements."
    Vanilla is one of the forums we have looked into.
    My avatar* is dedicated to server errors where ever they roam. May they never return.
    *censoring provided by Ghost

Server Error Status Thread

7. Likes sainraja likes this post
    Legend
    PSN ID
    F34RTEHR34PER
    Items BullySteamGran Turismo 5LiverpoolAppleJoker (limited ICON)Naughty DogMaster ChiefAssassins Creed EzioGears of WarHeavy RainDiablo III
    Yeah, that was a huge headache to try and get it worked out. Chris basically quoted how the end went down.

Administrator
    PSN ID
    rokushakubo
    Awards PSU+ Patriot
    Okie dokie. Good to know...Well with 250 icons...If each category had 10 icons each, we could do 25 and some might not use all that. That's what I was thinking anyway, have categories across series/music/games and to have a dozen or so icons related, so Breaking Bad section with icons of main characters etc.

Supreme Veteran
    PSN ID
    sophieskyrim126Era
    Items Tommy VercettiGTA Claude
    We need a voting poll on a list of suggesstions, that way

We actually get the icons we want and everyone is happy
    Plato and Aristotle, a detail of The School of Athens, a fresco by Raphael. Aristotle gestures to the earth, representing his belief in knowledge

Legend
    PSN ID
    F34RTEHR34PER
    As long as we don't lose the icons I've already collected....

Master Guru
    Items FuturamaGoogle ChromeAmerican DadHalf-Life 2Battlefield 3User name style
    Okie dokie. Good to know...Well with 250 icons...If each category had 10 icons each, we could do 25 and some might not use all that. That's what I was thinking anyway, have categories across series/music/games and to have a dozen or so icons related, so Breaking Bad section with icons of main characters etc.
    I personally think it would be better to have a shows category and more shows, rather than less shows with specific characters. Just think it would be better to have broader optionns.

Don't Steal. Don't Molest Little Children. Don't Deal Drugs.

Legend
    PSN ID
    F34RTEHR34PER
    Gaming first, rest after that.

Supreme Veteran
    PSN ID
    sophieskyrim126Era
    Items Tommy VercettiGTA Claude
    @F34R I am in totally agreement with you on that one,

After the lost of SP all them months back, we do not want to go down that road again

many would be massively pissed and having to buy them again

Or

we what you can do is put the bought ones we have in a sperate place so they do not get caught up in the shop reboot
    Plato and Aristotle, a detail of The School of Athens, a fresco by Raphael. Aristotle gestures to the earth, representing his belief in knowledge

Administrator
    PSN ID
    rokushakubo
    Awards PSU+ Patriot
    Quote Originally Posted by F34R View Post
    Gaming first, rest after that.
    Oh yeah for sure. TV shows and music are definitely second in priority.

El Presidente
    So we are waiting for a full and complete list of icons first right? I shouldn't starting making any just yet?

Ideas for games:
    Killzone
    GTA
    Infamous
    Battlefield
    CoD
    Fifa

Administrator
    PSN ID
    rokushakubo
    Awards PSU+ Patriot
    Quote Originally Posted by podsaurus View Post
    So we are waiting for a full and complete list of icons first right? I shouldn't starting making any just yet?

Ideas for games:
    Killzone
    GTA
    Infamous
    Battlefield
    CoD
    Fifa
    Well I was thinking about a section called Sony Allstars or something which would have all the big iconic characters in it so really, any core 1st party stuff is a safebet, as are the games you suggested. MGS will be getting a healthy section, as will FF. I'd be really grateful for any assistance. I think I'll make an award for people who contribute to the shop too.

Thread Information