Apprentice

[PSP] R-Type Command is fantastic provided you have the patience for strategy

R-Type Command (R-Type Tactics in Japan) is a turn-based strategy entry that requires patience but if you're down with all of that the game can actually be rewarding and a lot of fun.

Long time R-Type fans will have to forget traditional shoot em ups. Command is not a scrolling space shmup whatsoever, understand it's purely a strategy spin off of the series.

If you enjoy Intelligent System's Advance Wars series or Hudson's hexagonal Military Madness/Nectaris games on various platforms then R-Type Command is probably the right game for you. There was also a sequel, Tactics II, released only in Japan. It's much more difficult and not exactly import friendly if you don't understand Japanese.

Personally I'm getting back into the campaign after some years, it's been part of my PSP backlog for quite some time.

I've also found the PPSSPP emulator runs Command fine but haven't figured out how to successfully save a game yet.

I've also yet to try multi player so for now I'm getting back into the main game.

Last edited by parallax scroll; 11-10-2013 at 14:45.

!! Watch Your Step !!
    Items Final Fantasy VIIPlayStationPS3 Slim
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    I loved this, completed it on my psp, still want the sequel, operation bitter chocolate
    Now Playing: PS4!!!!
    Join us for some online LOLZ - The BnW Clan est. 2008

Ultimate Veteran
    PSN ID
    AaronSOLDIER
    Items Final Fantasy Versus XIIIPS3 SlimFinal Fantasy XFinal Fantasy IXFinal Fantasy VIIIFinal Fantasy VIIFinal Fantasy VIFinal Fantasy VFinal Fantasy IVFinal Fantasy IIIFinal Fantasy IIFinal Fantasy
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Never heard of it. Looks nothing like Advance Wars from those screens either.
    Quote Originally Posted by BigDug13
    I want Naughty Dog to explore new game genres, not regurgitate cinematic corridor shooters for another generation.

Apprentice

Quote Originally Posted by AaronSOLDIER View Post
    Never heard of it. Looks nothing like Advance Wars from those screens either.
    Well, R-Type Command is like Advance Wars in that they are both of the same genre, turn-based strategy.

However instead of a square grid movement system in the AW games, R-Type Command uses hexes, like the Military Madness / Nectaris games from Hudson.

R-Type Tactics came out in Japan in fall 2007. At the time, there was no word on domestic release, but it wasn't too long before Atlus announced it would bring the game over here. The name changed to R-Type Command and got released spring 2008. I had just got my first PSP, the lighter thinner 2000 model. GameStop even gave me the toy model R-9 fighter even though I hadn't pre-ordered.

Trailer

Intro CG movie

Gameplay

Anyway, RIP IREM (and RIP Hudson too).
    Last edited by parallax scroll; 11-11-2013 at 12:59.

Apprentice

I recently re-acquired the Japanese-only sequel, R-Type Tactics II: Operation Bitter chocolate.

Man, I had forgotten how much difficult this was than the first game. Not only is it all in Japanese, but the actual difficultly level is also higher.

Apprentice
    PSN ID
    Effekt
    Items Metal Gear SolidTommy VercettiLegend of ZeldaBlizzardAtlus
    I got the game free back when my buddy gave all his games to me. I only played a couple missions, it definitely plays like most "tactic turn-based games" but for me, it didn't have me hooked to keep playing. Maybe I'll give it another try.

Thread Information