Page 1 of 3 1 ... LastLast
    Super Elite
    PSN ID
    BilLCollecTTor

PS4 Day One Update New Details: Game Discs Don’t Have it, Dev Kits Identical to Retai

Kenny Linder, who was previously a part of Sony UK’s recently shuttered BigBig Studios and who is now working on a launch title for both next gen consoles, has revealed some new details on the upcoming Day One update for the PlayStation 4. He also discussed just why the Xbox One will require its Day One update.Apparently, the Day One update won’t be on any game discs. “I worked on a launch game for Xbox One (and PS4) and there is no FW [firmware] update on our disc. The game was finished before the FW, they will still be finishing up with it.” He further clarified that the update is not on any game discs because, “they are submitted before the final OS is ready.”
    Linder also answered the question as to whether the dev kits were the same as the retail units. “Yep, identical. The devkits don’t even have any more RAM than retail consoles, most unusual.” Does that mean retail PS4 units can act as debug units like the Xbox One? We’ll have to wait and see but you can rest assured that the graphical performance of games is identical between the dev kits and retail units.
    As stated, the Xbox One will require its Day One update and can’t do much of anything without it (according to Albert Penello). There still seems to be some confusion regarding it, and Linder took the time to say that, “The Xbox One does not ship with an OS. The end.” So there’s your reason for why it requires the update. Intriguing and confusing at the same time.
    Finally, Linder clarified that Microsoft would work hard to ensure that the Day One update’s set-up process is smooth – unlike, say, the Wii U’s set-up. “The Wii U was $#@! at launch because of: Wi-Fi issues – took many users a long time to set up as it was broken; On-screen notifications – Telling you it had downloaded, how much, time outs etc. Crap; Download speed – Awful speeds meant it took forever.
    “The same won’t be the case with the Xbox One. MS are a software company and they’ll be working hard to ensure this is a smooth process. I am actually more concerned that PSN will fall apart when I am downloading the 300 MB update.
    The PlayStation 4 will launch on November 15 in North America and November 29th in Europe, while the Xbox One launches on November 22nd across 13 territories.

Read more at http://gamingbolt.com/ps4-day-one-up...zrCFefSx1QA.99

Superior Member
    PSN ID
    thanatos144
    Did that just say the Xbox One doesn't come with a operating system and that's why you need to day one update????? Who the $#@! ships out a console with no OS?

Dedicated Member
    PSN ID
    Kamikaze_Krunch
    Items User name style
    "There still seems to be some confusion regarding it, and Linder took the time to say that, “The Xbox One does not ship with an OS. The end.” So there’s your reason for why it requires the update. Intriguing and confusing at the same time."

4. Likes Vulgotha likes this post
    Superior Member

PSN ID
    martin_blank
    Quote Originally Posted by thanatos144 View Post
    Did that just say the Xbox One doesn't come with a operating system and that's why you need to day one update????? Who the $#@! ships out a console with no OS?
    No one. It has to have an OS or it can't boot to the part where it downloads an update. It certainly might not have a UI, it might not have an OS that will support gameplay and other advertised features, but it has an OS. Perhaps, though not very likely, that OS comes on an optical disc. Even so, it ships with an OS; it's just not installed on the HDD or in firmware. Linder either doesn't know how to qualify his statements or he has no idea what he's talking about. I think what he means is the XOne setup process will not progress past the update prompt without the user installing the update. I don't know if the PS4 will, either, but from what it seems it certainly could if Sony allowed it. PS4 can do a number of things without the update, although there's enough in the update Sony may want to force the update before continuing with setup.

Elite Guru
    PSN ID
    TAZ427
    Yeah, that's pure BS. It may not be the full OS, but there's an OS on XB1 when it ships. Without an OS, they wouldn't be able to setup the network and download the FW update.

Actually I found the whole article to be an attempt to make something out of nothing.

Superior Member

PSN ID
    martin_blank
    Quote Originally Posted by TAZ427 View Post
    Yeah, that's pure BS. It may not be the full OS, but there's an OS on XB1 when it ships. Without an OS, they wouldn't be able to setup the network and download the FW update.

Actually I found the whole article to be an attempt to make something out of nothing.
    I think it's kind of out there saying devkits are identical to retail, too. What he means, and he did sort of clarify this but vaguely, devkits have no additional hardware support for development. They aren't identical in manufacture. They probably don't even look exactly the same as retail units. Devkits are according to this developer identical in hardware specifications, at least the hardware specifications that matter to developers.

Forum Guru
    PSN ID
    Terminator101
    Dev kits have the same amount of RAM? It has always been like that with 360, so its really not that unusual.
    Almost everyone will say: buy console that has games that you want, and those who say otherwise are ignorant.

Playstation Move for the win!

Superior Member
    PSN ID
    barit
    Wow Xbone will be the first console that will NOT work immediately after you have bought it. This is crazy to say at least. I mean ya we as gaming enthusiast knowing such things months ago but whats with the causals that take an Xbone from the shelf to gift it their children ? This should be on the Box with big fat red letters "NEED INTERNET CONNECTION TO WORK".

The PS4 at least let you play the games with 1.0 even if nothing else works xD

Superior Member

PSN ID
    martin_blank
    Quote Originally Posted by bariton1 View Post
    Wow Xbone will be the first console that will NOT work immediately after you have bought it. This is crazy to say at least. I mean ya we as gaming enthusiast knowing such things months ago but whats with the causals that take an Xbone from the shelf to gift it their children ? This should be on the Box with big fat red letters "NEED INTERNET CONNECTION TO WORK".

The PS4 at least let you play the games with 1.0 even if nothing else works xD
    There's no good evidence of that. We're just speculating on what some developer said that cannot be true as he stated and which he did not clarify. XOne might run just fine for games offline right out of the box. Not to mention the fact that he said anything about how XOne ships is breaking an agreement he entered with Microsoft and makes him at least not terribly swift and at worst talking out of the side of his head.

Superior Member
    PSN ID
    thanatos144
    It is absurd that anything is sold not working out if box. You don't sell a product that isn't at least usable out if box.

tapatalk post

Superior Member

PSN ID
    martin_blank
    It is absurd that anything is sold not working out if box. You don't sell a product that isn't at least usable out if box.

tapatalk post
    I have no evidence for this other than basic logic, but I bet it works out of the box. You take it home, set it up, pop in DR3, it'll play DR3. If it doesn't it's some hang over from the Dastardly DRM, when you'd have had to get it online to bind a game to your account even to start playing that game. I mean, presumably. Frankly I don't see how that was ever going to work. But then there are these Chrome OS laptops that are pretty much useless without an Internet connection. Likewise a wifi Kindle, useless without a network connection to get books on it. You can load them off a PC but the PC has to have Internet to get the books. So, you know, who knows. All I know is there is an OS shipped with that thing. The functional utility of that OS, I have no idea.

Super Moderator
    PSN ID
    lsutigers19
    Items Final Fantasy XIIIFinal Fantasy XCall of Duty: Black OPSDragon Ball ZPS3 SlimGoogle Chrome
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Quote Originally Posted by sanfordmay View Post
    I have no evidence for this other than basic logic, but I bet it works out of the box. You take it home, set it up, pop in DR3, it'll play DR3. If it doesn't it's some hang over from the Dastardly DRM, when you'd have had to get it online to bind a game to your account even to start playing that game. I mean, presumably. Frankly I don't see how that was ever going to work. But then there are these Chrome OS laptops that are pretty much useless without an Internet connection. Likewise a wifi Kindle, useless without a network connection to get books on it. You can load them off a PC but the PC has to have Internet to get the books. So, you know, who knows. All I know is there is an OS shipped with that thing. The functional utility of that OS, I have no idea.
    It has been confirmed that the update is needed for most basic functions games, blu, ray, etc. To work. I believe it was Penello. PS4 can't play Blu Rays out of the box. Needs an update for that as well.

Currently Playing: ​ Watch Dogs
    Currently Waiting For: ​​ ​Destiny

14. Likes Malt likes this post
    Superior Member
    PSN ID
    thanatos144
    They themselves stated it needs a day one update to run

tapatalk post

Superior Member

PSN ID
    martin_blank
    Quote Originally Posted by ps3freak18 View Post
    It has been confirmed that the update is needed for most basic functions games, blu, ray, etc. To work. I believe it was Penello. PS4 can't play Blu Rays out of the box. Needs an update for that as well.
    Yeah then it's likely an outcome of that online disc game authentication and once every 24 hours online check in thing upon which the software architecture of the console was built. The expectation all along was that XOne would have to be Internet connected when setup, so at least for initial setup, to get that one update on it, it does. It's not unprecedented in contemporary consumer electronics -- the examples I cited above -- but for a games console that runs off household power and outputs to a TV and plays games off a disc, it's pretty lame. It's better than all that nutty game authentication nonsense, but still lame.

Anyway, the only thing I assert with 100% confidence is that XOne ships with an OS. It may not be pretty or functional, but it's got an OS.

Superior Member
    PSN ID
    thanatos144
    Yeah then it's likely an outcome of that online disc game authentication and once every 24 hours online check in thing upon which the software architecture of the console was built. The expectation all along was that XOne would have to be Internet connected when setup, so at least for initial setup, to get that one update on it, it does. It's not unprecedented in contemporary consumer electronics -- the examples I cited above -- but for a games console that runs off household power and outputs to a TV and plays games off a disc, it's pretty lame. It's better than all that nutty game authentication nonsense, but still lame.

Anyway, the only thing I assert with 100% confidence is that XOne ships with an OS. It may not be pretty or functional, but it's got an OS.
    Do you have proof that shows the article wrong? Because a basic command function is all you need to set up a online portal to download the os.

tapatalk post

Superior Member

PSN ID
    martin_blank
    Do you have proof that shows the article wrong? Because a basic command function is all you need to set up a online portal to download the os.

tapatalk post
    You need something that qualifies as an operating system to connect to a local network and establish a connection with a server and download the update and error check it and install it. It can be an EXTREMELY simple OS but it's got to have enough UI to connect to a wifi network. Even some wired connections depending on the local network configuration would require a UI to change certain settings to allow the XOne to use the network. So, really, really super simple firmware boot and network connection OS with a UI to allow the bare minimum to get to the update server. But still qualifies as an OS.

Really we're picking at tiny things when we're saying pretty much the same thing. If it won't do anything without the update and that update requires an Internet connection, then no matter how robust the OS that's on there, it still doesn't do anything without an Internet-downloaded OS update and that's hardly the most user-friendly setup scenario.

Superior Member
    PSN ID
    thanatos144
    You need something that qualifies as an operating system to connect to a local network and establish a connection with a server and download the update and error check it and install it. It can be an EXTREMELY simple OS but it's got to have enough UI to connect to a wifi network. Even some wired connections depending on the local network configuration would require a UI to change certain settings to allow the XOne to use the network. So, really, really super simple firmware boot and network connection OS with a UI to allow the bare minimum to get to the update server. But still qualifies as an OS.

Really we're picking at tiny things when we're saying pretty much the same thing. If it won't do anything without the update and that update requires an Internet connection, then no matter how robust the OS that's on there, it still doesn't do anything without an Internet-downloaded OS update and that's hardly the most user-friendly setup scenario.
    You do know your internet portals are programs and not a os right?

tapatalk post

PSN ID
    l-Loui2-l

tapatalk post
    How does someone use a program without it's operating system o_o?
    How does someone connect to the internet and download a update without having some sort of OS in the background?
    I don't know about this magical command function that doesn't require a OS, so explain.

Superior Member

PSN ID
    martin_blank

tapatalk post
    Yeah. But as you said an internet portal is a program initiated by a local basic command function. What interprets and executes that basic command function? I think the thing here is Linder is talking OS like Windows and iOS and Android or Mac OS X. Something with which the end user can interact or at least be provided information. But an OS can be and is as simple as a few machine language routines that get the hardware up and running. It's misleading to say "no OS." It's especially weird coming from a dev, someone who should know the substantial variety in software that qualifies as an OS.

The problem isn't what's on there in the way of an OS but that the only thing you can do with it without an Internet connection is get to the screen that tells you that you have to establish an Internet connection and download an update before you can do anything else. If they're at grandma's house with no Internet or your Internet is down, that's going to make for a pretty dull Christmas morning for a lot of kids.

I don't know why in the world they wouldn't put the update on a disc and make that available for free to anyone who wants one, at the retailer. Online retailers could ship it with the console. That doesn't hold up the console manufacturing. They can dupe a whole bunch of those discs and tuck them in cardboard sleeves and send them out way, way after they send the launch consoles.

Superior Member
    PSN ID
    thanatos144
    Quote Originally Posted by Loui2 View Post
    How does someone use a program without it's operating system o_o?
    How does someone connect to the internet and download a update without having some sort of OS in the background?
    I don't know about this magical command function that doesn't require a OS, so explain.
    Son I been around a long time the operating systems only been around since around the mid 1980s what do you think they did before that?

tapatalk post

23. Likes skinny_jr likes this post
    Super Moderator
    PSN ID
    lsutigers19
    Items Final Fantasy XIIIFinal Fantasy XCall of Duty: Black OPSDragon Ball ZPS3 SlimGoogle Chrome

Yeah the Xbox One has an OS. I don't know what the hell this guy is talking about. But the Update is almost assuredly to reverse DRM stuff the consoles had. I say this because right after the reversal they announced it would need to be update day one. Makes sense that the system was already with the DRM stuff and the Update is to reverse all that.

As for your other point about the update needing to be on disc with the systems, I couldn't agree more! I'm sure there are going to be many people that didn't connect to the internet right when they hook up the system. They are going to turn it on put in their game of choice and try to play. It makes so much sense like you said to give these disc to retailers to provide with the system. I don't know why in the hell they didn't do that. You wouldn't even have to put it on blu ray either. Simple DVD would work and it's cheaper.
    Last edited by PS4freak; 11-10-2013 at 19:44.

Currently Playing: ​ Watch Dogs
    Currently Waiting For: ​​ ​Destiny

Supreme Veteran
    Items Gran Turismo 5Michelle MarshDoomid SoftwareCommodore 64Metal Gear Solid
    The systems already shipped to the suppliers before the updates were finalised.

Superior Member
    PSN ID
    thanatos144
    Quote Originally Posted by keefy View Post
    The systems already shipped to the suppliers before the updates were finalised.
    Obviously. I was arguing the fact that you dnot need a os to perform commands.

tapatalk post

Praetor Illuminatus
    A... company that .. makes.. operating systems? I got nothing.

28. Likes mickice likes this post
    Superior Member
    PSN ID
    TEST SUBJECT 83
    its not very hard to fathom the XBO not having an OS.
    Once its turned on it will ask you for an update, no need for an OS.
    Once its downloaded, you have your OS.
    Magic right?

Thread Information