Supreme Veteran
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!

'Everyone Is Using 100 Per Cent Of Xbox One' Says Forza's Creative Director

http://www.nowgamer.com/news/2151060..._director.html

Dan Greenawalt of Turn 10 Studios says 'even people who are upscaling are still using 100 per cent of the box'.

Dan Greenawalt, creative director on Xbox One launch title Forza 5, says 'everyone' is 'using 100 per cent of the box'.

Talking to X-ONE magazine in an interview that will appear in a forthcoming issue of the magazine, Greenawalt was pressed on whether Forza 5 will run at 1080p and 60fps native.

"Even in an F1 car, going 220mph around Spa with 16 other F1 cars on the track," he replied.

He then responded to why other developers - such as Crytek with Ryse: Son Of Rome and Infinity Ward with Call Of Duty: Ghosts - are slower to reach that same benchmark.

"I canít speak for other titles, but what I can say is that we have a bespoke engine thatís designed for the Xbox One. We started before we even shipped Forza 4, so weíve been working on this.

"And to me, Iíve been working on Forza for ten years now and the reason I like it is that Forzaís always a challenge, we push innovation and itís not always just make it shinier. Itís cloud powered AI, 16-player multiplayer, dedicated servers, curated liveries. Thereís just a lot of innovation there.

"We started three years ago thinking this is the architecture Microsoft is designing and we were talking to it about what we wanted the next gen to be about, like materials - orange peel paint, some of the rubbing on the tyre, the many interactions that make the car look real. So the Xbox One was designed to be able to do this, but you also have to work on your engine to make sure itís doing it as well and weíve had the time to really do that and really optimise our engine.

"But the truth is that I get asked are we using 100 per cent of the box? Of course we are. Everyone is. Even people who are upscaling are still using 100 per cent of the box. What happens over the course of years is that we get better at tricking the box into doing what we want. Itís optimisation.

"We had more time so weíre very well optimised and we will continue to optimise this game. If you think about Forza 2, it was a well optimised game, but Forza 4 looked a lot better than Forza 2. That just comes with time."

The full interview with Dan Greenawalt on Forza 5 will appear in a forthcoming issue of X-ONE magazine, on sale 27th November.
    I understood this in one particular way which has been something that concerned me as a potential early adopter considering I have a paid off X1 waiting to pick up upon release but I also agree with Greenawalt where he says optimization will only get better with games...

I understood this for its apparent/direct meaning, am I misunderstanding it or am I reading that the X1 is already running flat chat full speed already but will improve with optimizations?

If so doesn't this mean that things will get better but not 'much better'?
    Gaming on all platforms right now.

Super Carlton
    PSN ID
    JMEWalterblack
    Items PS3 Slim360 SlimiPhone 4 BlackGears of WarGoogle ChromeManchester UnitedUser name style
    Things like this make a lil glad i may not be getting a next gen console till earlt next year.......next gen just doesnt seem that next gen yet

Thanks to Final for the sick sig!

3. Likes A7MAD likes this post
    PSU Technical Advisor
    PSN ID
    UK-Varsh
    Items User name style
    Basically there's two ways of looking at it:
    • You can say that the game released uses the entire power of the console but it's not optimised as the programmers still don't know the console enough
    • The game only uses a certain percentage and that there's more power to garner from the console

While they seem like they say something completely different they in fact mean the exact same thing. I expect every single game to use the full power of any console at launch, what I also expect is that developers will learn the ins and outs of each console and learn to exploit their potential.

The PS3 and the X360 were the same, the early games didn't look great but they had framerate issues, they would not release a game with these problems if they weren't using the full power of the console now would they? At that time they thought that they couldn't get it any more optimised to the best of their knowledge so they release it. As the years went on Uncharted (for instance) ran better and smooth, then when TLOU was released it ran the best of all and looked stunning, so does that mean that Uncharted didn't use the full power of the PS3? Of course it used the full power, it was just down to the knowledge of the hardware at the time.

The same will apply here.

5. Likes A7MAD likes this post
    Superior Member
    PSN ID
    TEST SUBJECT 83
    Quote Originally Posted by three3-times View Post
    Things like this make a lil glad i may not be getting a next gen console till earlt next year.......next gen just doesnt seem that next gen yet
    Yeah,
    that's the way new consoles work.
    You don't see the real difference till a year or 2 later.
    Its always the same. We get shown bad ass PC's running the new games which gets us all hyped up.
    Then slowly we get conditioned to lesser and lesser quality videos until we get the console version, which is always quite different then the reveal version.
    I remember the $#@! we were shown at the PS3 reveal.
    What they showed us for Motorstorm still looks good for "this" next gen.
    Check it out, lol!

Legend
    PSN ID
    F34RTEHR34PER
    Items BullySteamGran Turismo 5LiverpoolAppleJoker (limited ICON)Naughty DogMaster ChiefAssassins Creed EzioGears of WarHeavy RainDiablo III
    Already? I figured we'd at least see the second wave of games being released with 100% of the console power being used. We heard this for 5/6 years this generation lol.

Basically, blah blah blah using all the console power, blah blah, we'll learn better.... blah blah.

Forum Sage
    Quote Originally Posted by F34R View Post
    Already? I figured we'd at least see the second wave of games being released with 100% of the console power being used. We heard this for 5/6 years this generation lol.

Basically, blah blah blah using all the console power, blah blah, we'll learn better.... blah blah.
    Everything is relative. They are using ~100% of the power they know how to access/use, not 100% of what the console is actually capable of.

I remember Epic saying the same thing about gears of war back in 2006, clearly the 360 had a lot more to offer despite what epic said.

Legend
    PSN ID
    F34RTEHR34PER
    Items BullySteamGran Turismo 5LiverpoolAppleJoker (limited ICON)Naughty DogMaster ChiefAssassins Creed EzioGears of WarHeavy RainDiablo III
    Quote Originally Posted by MATRIX 2 View Post
    Everything is relative. They are using ~100% of the power they know how to access/use, not 100% of what the console is actually capable of.

I remember Epic saying the same thing about gears of war back in 2006, clearly the 360 had a lot more to offer despite what epic said.
    Yeah, I know what you mean. It just gets old hearing it I guess lol.

Ultimate Veteran
    There is no way devs are using full power of x1

So what he's saying is... Peggle 2 is maxing out the Xbox One?

12. Likes F34R likes this post
    Legend
    PSN ID
    F34RTEHR34PER
    Quote Originally Posted by codboymt View Post
    So what he's saying is... Peggle 2 is maxing out the Xbox One?
    That made me just a little too much lol.

14. Likes codboymt likes this post
    Quote Originally Posted by F34R View Post
    That made me just a little too much lol.
    Sorry, I couldn't resist.

Forum Sage
    Items BarcelonaPS3 Slim360 Slim
    That's good. So much for that 10% rumor.

Legend
    PSN ID
    F34RTEHR34PER
    Quote Originally Posted by Sub-stance1 View Post
    What do you mean?

Administrator and PSU Technical Manager
    Items Death Note LAtlusVitaPS3 FatMetal Gear Solid 4Naughty Dog360 SlimGuerrilla GamesApple
    No, that "rumor" has nothing to do with what the Forza dude is saying. There are still resources dedicated to the system that games cannot access. That 10% may be part of it.
    My avatar* is dedicated to server errors where ever they roam. May they never return.
    *censoring provided by Ghost

Server Error Status Thread

Forum Sage
    Quote Originally Posted by Christopher View Post
    No, that "rumor" has nothing to do with what the Forza dude is saying. There are still resources dedicated to the system that games cannot access. That 10% may be part of it.
    Yea, if that whole Kinect 10% thing is true. Nothing has been confirmed yet.

Superior Member
    PSN ID
    thanatos144
    Kojima should make a game for the new Xbox because if there is anyone who can squeeze out every resource a developer can its him. Look at mgs 2 you might not have liked the game but there was no doubt they used all they could on the ps2

tapatalk post

Forum Sage
    Quote Originally Posted by thanatos144 View Post
    Kojima should make a game for the new Xbox because if there is anyone who can squeeze out every resource a developer can its him. Look at mgs 2 you might not have liked the game but there was no doubt they used all they could on the ps2

tapatalk post
    I think crytek is probably pushing xb1 hardware pretty hard right now. Just think these are only launch games. The new few years should be pretty exciting.

22. Likes A7MAD likes this post
    Superior Member
    PSN ID
    thanatos144
    I think crytek is probably pushing xb1 hardware pretty hard right now. Just think these are only launch games. The new few years should be pretty exciting.
    Mgs 2 came out shortly after launch. Same year

tapatalk post

Thread Information