Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst ... 2
    Power Member
    Items User name style
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!

TechRadar: How PS3 won the console war

Quote Originally Posted by Sajuuk Khar View Post
    I could understand this way of exempting the Japan numbers, IF the 360 was never released there. But it was, they sold a decent amount of units ( compared to Xbox) and continue to sell systems, so the numbers should stay and be used when talking about total sales.
    Less than 1.5 million in 8 years is a lot?
    Of course they should stay.
    But people have to understand where those sales come from. People tend to look at what happened in USA and Europe and then look at total figures an declare Sony the winner based on total sales.
    Reality is western market is vastly different to the eastern market and trying to point to Sony as "the winner" in the western market simply is not true.

All the talk of PS plus and western games did nothing but keep them selling at the same rate as MS.

Its a complete falsehood to suggest that these somehow helped Sony "win" over MS because it didn't, at best it helped it keep pace.

Yes they sold more, no it had nothing to do with what they did in western markets.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free
    Last edited by mynd; 11-12-2013 at 05:22.

Dedicated Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mynd View Post
    But people have to understand where those sales come from. People tend to look at what happened in USA and Europe and then look at total figures an declare Sony the winner based on total sales.
    Reality is western market is vastly different to the eastern market and trying to point to Sony as "the winner" in the western market simply is not true.

1.5 million is a lot compared to the first xbox :P

All the talk of PS plus and western games did nothing but keep them selling at the same rate as MS.

Its a complete falsehood to suggest that these somehow helped Sony "win" over MS because it didn't, at best it helped it keep pace.

Yes they sold more, no it had nothing to do with what they did in western markets.

The original post says nothing about western/eastern or any specific counties or regions (except for the 14 month head start the 360 had in Europe), it talks about total system sales. Nothing more.

If a thread was created about how the 360 won in the US, would be true. An interesting one would be in the EU where how did it loose a 14 month head start.

3. Likes Two4DaMoney , VayMasters86, snooper71 likes this post
    Veteran
    PSN ID
    snooper71
    Items Naughty Dog

Isn't it what determines a "winner"? Of course I forgot one important element, part of being "selective" is making up your own rules on what affects the outcome of who the winner is!

You can use semantics all you want, use territorial sales all you want to sway the "winner" your way. It makes no difference on the end result which is determined by TOTAL NUMBERS. PS3 second, 360 LAST!

Next Gen top picks:
    PS4: Infamous SS, DriveClub
    One: Project spark, Forza 5
    Multi: Watchdogs, The crew, FFXV, KHIII

5. Likes Shingo likes this post
    Power Member
    Items User name style

Quote Originally Posted by snooper71 View Post
    Isn't it what determines a "winner"? Of course I forgot one important element, part of being "selective" is making up your own rules on what affects the outcome of who the winner is!

You can use semantics all you want, use territorial sales all you want to sway the "winner" your way. It makes no difference on the end result which is determined by TOTAL NUMBERS. PS3 second, 360 LAST!
    Err did you read the article? Did you read why they think it won?
    Its one thing to simply they sold more they are the winner. Which is true they did sell more overall, well maybe, thats still up in the air, but they certainly sold at a faster rate that cant be denied.
    Was it cause of what the article says? No.
    PS3 is still currently last apparently. For what its worth. So I guess the article just messed up all round.

Last edited by mynd; 11-12-2013 at 07:38.

Quote Originally Posted by snooper71 View Post

Lol, you see how some people can argue if brand loyalty is strong. Just wait and youŽll see arguments that 720p is actually better then 1080p...... Oh wait.

Power Member
    Items User name style

Quote Originally Posted by croma View Post
    Lol, you see how some people can argue if brand loyalty is strong. Just wait and youŽll see arguments that 720p is actually better then 1080p...... Oh wait.
    Next we will have someone saying that getting to 80 million third is actually second....oh wait....

Those crazy people.

Edit: I really don't care who "wins" second place but people are darft to be pointing to what they did in the western market last gen as the reason they caught up. Well they could, but then they would have to concede that without these things sony would have completely failed, which I don't think would ever have been the case in Eu.

Last edited by mynd; 11-12-2013 at 07:52.

Administrator and PSU Technical Manager
    Items Death Note LAtlusVitaPS3 FatMetal Gear Solid 4Naughty Dog360 SlimGuerrilla GamesApple

Huh? If all they did was help "keep pace" with MS in western markets then yes, absolutely, it did help. If they didn't keep pace then they would have fallen behind. Holding their own in the western market while winning the other markets is all part of the greater total of sales.
    My avatar* is dedicated to server errors where ever they roam. May they never return.
    *censoring provided by Ghost

Server Error Status Thread

10. Likes Ixion likes this post
    Power Member
    Items User name style
    Quote Originally Posted by Christopher View Post
    Huh? If all they did was help "keep pace" with MS in western markets then yes, absolutely, it did help. If they didn't keep pace then they would have fallen behind. Holding their own in the western market while winning the other markets is all part of the greater total of sales.
    Well thats the thing, you have to say that without them they wouldn't have.
    Can anyone prove or disprove it either way? They cant really, but I think the fact that Sony was pretty dam steady in it gains ever year would suggest they weren't as big a factor as this article paints. i mean PS plus only arrived in 2010.

Items Death Note LAtlusVitaPS3 FatMetal Gear Solid 4Naughty Dog360 SlimGuerrilla GamesApple
    Well thats the thing, you have to say that without them they wouldn't have.
    Can anyone prove or disprove it either way? They cant really, but I think the fact that Sony was pretty dam steady in it gains ever year would suggest they weren't as big a factor as this article paints. i mean PS plus only arrived in 2010.

Maybe they wouldn't have. No, no one can prove it. It is speculation. And you can't prove anything you have said either. You can say something is a "complete falsehood", but that is just speculation on your part as well.

Regarding the article, as far as who came in second or third.....flip a coin. People can round and round with all kinds of arguments as to who finished ahead of who. There is no clear "winner" this gen between the two, imo, cuz there is no standard for objective standard for "winning".
    My avatar* is dedicated to server errors where ever they roam. May they never return.

Power Member
    Items User name style
    Maybe they wouldn't have. No, no one can prove it. It is speculation. And you can't prove anything you have said either. You can say something is a "complete falsehood", but that is just speculation on your part as well.

Regarding the article, as far as who came in second or third.....flip a coin. People can round and round with all kinds of arguments as to who finished ahead of who. There is no clear "winner" this gen between the two, imo, cuz there is no standard for objective standard for "winning".
    Well unless someone can prove a upswing in sales around the time these things were introduced? (more exclusives, PS+), then I can think we can safely say these had zero impact on Sony catching up to MS. We all know why they caught up, because they are bigger player in more markets.

Well unless someone can prove a upswing in sales around the time these things were introduced? (more exclusives, PS+), then I can think we can safely say these had zero impact on Sony catching up to MS. We all know why they caught up, because they are bigger player in more markets.
    You've already said those things helped Sony "keep pace" in western markets. How is that "zero impact"? And besides that, frankly, it is silly to suggest that Sony's exclusives and PS+ had "zero impact" regardless. Of course they had an impact. Whether it is to the degree the article claims.....meh, whatever. But it certainly wasn't "zero".

Power Member
    Items User name style
    You've already said those things helped Sony "keep pace" in western markets. How is that "zero impact"? And besides that, frankly, it is silly to suggest that Sony's exclusives and PS+ had "zero impact" regardless. Of course they had an impact. Whether it is to the degree the article claims.....meh, whatever. But it certainly wasn't "zero".
    Well ok, minimal impact
    I certainly have never seen any evidence that's why new buyers bought the PS3.
    The brand name, especially in Eu, has always been strong. It would be really interesting to see if the rate at which it sold in Eu change at all at any time over its lifespan.

Thread Information