PSU Live Streamer

Sony may "monitor and record" all PSN activity on PlayStation 4

source

Ahead of the PlayStation 4's launch this week, Sony has updated its Software Usage Terms (via Polygon) to explain that the company may "monitor and record" any or all PlayStation Network activity, including voice and text message data. The company can do so enforce the Terms and to comply with pertinent law, Sony said.

"We reserve the right in our sole discretion to monitor and record any or all of your PSN activity and to remove any of your UGM [user-generated media] at our sole discretion, without further notice to you."

The Terms of Usage apply to all authorized PlayStation systems, including PlayStation 2, PSP, PlayStation 3, PlayStation Vita, and PS4.

"Any information collected in this way, for example, your UGM, the content of your voice and text communications, video of your gameplay, the time and location of your activities, and your name, your PSN Online ID, and IP address, may be used by us or our affiliated companies to enforce these Terms and the SEN Terms of Service, to comply with the law, to protect our rights and those of our licensors and users, and to protect the personal safety of our employees and users," the document goes on.

This information can be handed over to the police or other appropriate authorities, Sony said. Accepting the Software Usage Terms means users consent to this.

Though Sony may monitor and record PSN activity, the company said users should not worry about the company having a permanent and exhaustive record of their online actions.

"We can't monitor all PSN activity and we make no commitment to do so," Sony said.

The updated Terms of Usage also points out that all PlayStation software is "licensed, not sold," meaning players acquire rights to use software, but do not own said software. As such, players are not permitted to resell disc-based games or downloads, Sony said, unless Sony grants permission. This policy has been in place since the original PlayStation, though Sony has never blocked the sale of secondhand games.

Sony confirmed at the 2013 Electronic Entertainment Expo in June that the secondhand market on PS4 will work just as it does currently on PS3. No restrictions for used games will be in place.

Come find me on Twitch.tv!

Administrator
    PSN ID
    Lethal_NFS
    Items Michelle MarshAngelina JolieScarlett JohanssonOlivia WildeLucy Pinder
    I can't wait to have sex with my wife in front of the camera! We are going to give Sony one hell of a show!

3. Likes robvandam111 likes this post
    Dedicated Member
    PSN ID
    Kamikaze_Krunch
    Items User name style
    I read that earlier today. It is nothing other than terms that set itself apart from the consumers. They use that right to protect themselves over consumers. An example of this would be, harassment. If a user is constantly being harassed, they can tap into that record for proof of harassment with either voice or text, which provides proof. Same applies if it's against Sony as well. I think people are looking to much into this. This isn't anything new either. Lets not forget that this also includes criminals in general that are being monitored. I honestly wouldn't worry to much about this.

This isn't anything like a camera looking at you and then 3rd parties using that footage for commercializing products for you or anything else of the sort.

Dedicated Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Demi_God View Post
    I read that earlier today. It is nothing other than terms that set itself apart from the consumers. They use that right to protect themselves over consumers. An example of this would be, harassment. If a user is constantly being harassed, they can tap into that record for proof of harassment with either voice or text, which provides proof. Same applies if it's against Sony as well. I think people are looking to much into this. This isn't anything new either. Lets not forget that this also includes criminals in general that are being monitored. I honestly wouldn't worry to much about this.

This isn't anything like a camera looking at you and then 3rd parties using that footage for commercializing products for you or anything else of the sort.
    Correct! Which , that last part, is what MS wants to do!

Quote Originally Posted by Lethal_NFS View Post
    I can't wait to have sex with my wife in front of the camera! We are going to give Sony one hell of a show!

Other creative uses for planetary photography come to mind now... lol.
    Last edited by John Willaford; 11-12-2013 at 17:05.

Forum Sage

I definitely view this as a down side. Make no mistake, data collection goes against privacy. I understand that there are reasons for why Sony would do this and I don't dispute the scenarios for why Sony would indeed use such user data. However, like anything else regarding data, probable cause should be present and the user who's data is being collected, should be notified of such actions and probable cause should be stipulated. Sony has a responsibility here and I wholeheartedly think the E.U.L.A. and T.O.S. should be amended before people start consenting to it.

Forum Overseer
    PSN ID
    F34RTEHR34PER
    Items BullySteamGran Turismo 5LiverpoolAppleJoker (limited ICON)Naughty DogMaster ChiefAssassins Creed EzioGears of WarHeavy RainDiablo III
    They have the right to collect any and all data that goes through their network. Period. No violation of privacy going on here.

Dedicated Member
    Items User name style
    PSN activity as in what i buy from PSN store, so they can tailor/recommend content to the user like cerny said at the reveal, this is what every retailer on the planet does - amazon(how do you think the generate the recommendation list), Tesco via club card, sainsburys via nectar card, You name it they all do it, Saves them a fortune in marketing expenditure because they know what you like. In this context, the PS4 will sometimes even preload a demo of something it thinks you might like.

And also monitoring activity like Multiplayer - so they can crackdown on bullys/griefers/abusive and hackers? i don't see a problem.

What else is there to monitor? Nothing.

The ps4 doesn't even monitor the users voice or video feed constantly like the xbox. Infact to carry out a voice command, you have to hold the left trigger in the OS to put it into "listen mode".

These sudden stories about used games and monitoring crap are basically a certain companies mudslinging FUD effort trying to capitalise on mundane TOS terms by sensationalising it via the doritocracy/friends in "the media". This is no coincidence.
    Last edited by victorijapoosp; 11-12-2013 at 18:11.
    Maths is biased! It keeps telling me the PS4 is 50% more powerful than XboxOne!
    Great song, should have more views :'(

SHIMAASAAAANIIII!!!!!
    http://i.imgur.com/bP50xuM.png

Thread Information