PSN ID
    G_Hartley_

Thumbs up PS4 on a 720p Tv ?

Hey guys. So i know the PS4 will be 1080p native on most games but with me playing through a Samsung 22"
    720p Tv will i see much difference from 720 to 1080. Will the Graphics quality degree because the image is being downgraded?

FYI, I sit 2 feet away from the tv

PSU Editor
    PSN ID
    NeoShockWave
    Items Title StyleLiquid Ocelotid SoftwareKonamiUser name styleNaughty DogBig BossTidusPlayStationManchester UnitedAuron
    Quote Originally Posted by Hartley001 View Post
    Hey guys. So i know the PS4 will be 1080p native on most games but with me playing through a Samsung 22"
    720p Tv will i see much difference from 720 to 1080. Will the Graphics quality degree because the image is being downgraded?

As far as I remember, at 22'' you would hardly notice the difference between the resolutions.

Follow me on Twitter @Adam_PSU for all things PlayStation!

PSN ID
    G_Hartley_
    Thanks. I know i need to invest in a bigger tv/monitor

Forum Overseer
    PSN ID
    F34RTEHR34PER
    Items BullySteamGran Turismo 5LiverpoolAppleJoker (limited ICON)Naughty DogMaster ChiefAssassins Creed EzioGears of WarHeavy RainDiablo III
    here ya go:

5. Likes sanfordmay likes this post
    Ultimate Veteran
    If the tv is smaller then 32 inches then u dont need 1080p if u get a1080p tv get a big one over 40 inches

Quote Originally Posted by F34R View Post
    here ya go:
    Thats BS , according to that on my 42" plasma i see no benifit at all from 720p never mind 1080!??. nah
    Last edited by archie123; 11-12-2013 at 08:42.

I'm a hater, a traito.
    That chart makes no sense.

Superior Member

PSN ID
    martin_blank
    That chart, fairly recently updated for 4k, is the gold standard for determining optimal resolutions for particular TV sizes at certain viewing distances. Based upon human vision, with vision correction if necessary. It's eminently sensible. What that chart is telling you is that in the area of resolution, most benefit derived from a modern HDTV -- a TV neither tube nor any kind of projection -- is progressive scan as opposed to interlaced. It's telling you that for many, probably most, TV sizes at typical viewing distances, the only difference your brain will really perceive is the difference between 480i and 720p.

If you're marketing higher resolution HDTVs, the chart makes no sense. However, regarding the very real limitations of human vision, the chart makes perfect sense.

Superior Member

PSN ID
    martin_blank
    Quote Originally Posted by Hartley001 View Post

At 22" at 720p you can lick the TV and you won't see a difference. Except for the saliva smear. Yuck. Wipe that off.

Forum Overseer
    PSN ID
    F34RTEHR34PER
    Items BullySteamGran Turismo 5LiverpoolAppleJoker (limited ICON)Naughty DogMaster ChiefAssassins Creed EzioGears of WarHeavy RainDiablo III
    I sit right at two feet away from a 22" 1080p tv when doing some streaming, so I def. see the benefit of the higher res.

Superior Member

PSN ID
    martin_blank
    Quote Originally Posted by F34R View Post
    I sit right at two feet away from a 22" 1080p tv when doing some streaming, so I def. see the benefit of the higher res.
    MAYBE at two feet. I guess I'll give you two feet, though how much they stepped on the source content matters a lot. Four feet, though, forget about it. But most "degradation" people see on native 1080p HDTVs displaying native 1080p content is the affect of upscaling 480p or 720p content to the native 1080p. You can pretty well tell it's upscaled if the native resolution is 1080p and the source content is lower resolution. But it's the native resolution of the output device rather than the playback device or content. A PS4 downscaling from 1080p content to output 720p image isn't going to be an issue. Upscaling from 480p to 720p or 720p to 1080p, it's a little fuzzier than native content, but downscaling, that shouldn't be noticeable.

Oh and of course the quality of the TV counts for a lot. That's where a lot of people think they see a difference. They see low-end, lower resolution HDTVs alongside high-end higher resolution TVs and they think it's the difference in resolution that matters but it's the quality of the LCD panel, and some other things, in the high-end TV that actually matters.

Pretty much you need 4k if you're gonna watch TV from the moon. Of course the 4k sets look great. Most of them cost five grand, sold under high-end brands. They better look great, but it's got nothing to do with the resolution.
    Last edited by sanfordmay; 11-13-2013 at 14:57.

Ultimate Veteran
    Items PlayStationPS3 Slim
    My Bravia is only 720p, I guess PS4 games are going to look extra crisp like Blu-Rays do.

-[ Final Fantasy VII: PS4 & PC || No Xbox ]-

Thread Information