PSU Live Streamer

List of PS4 UI tips and tricks

source

A live list, constantly updated

At a pre-launch PS4 event in New York, Sony showed off some of the neat little things the PS4 can do in a few morning presentations. We’ve only grazed the surface with what little they’ve shown us, so we’ll lay out what we’ve learned, and then continue to update this list in the coming days as we come across more neat tricks, tips, and features.
    We'll do a deeper dive in a couple of days with retail PS4 units. Stay tuned.

PS4 UI:
    Double-tap the PS button to jump to the last app used
    You know that ‘last channel button on your television remote. Think of the DualShock 4’s PS button double tap function the same way. The last app you’ve used will instantly return with a double tap. In our demonstration, we saw how doing this brought the system out of the game and instantly into the web browser. How great would that be for checking FAQs?
    Charge your controllers via USB even with the power off
    In some of the menu deep dives we did, we saw one checkbox that has the PS4 sending power out its USB ports, even with the system power off. This will let you leave your controllers plugged in to keep them charged up. Sony tells us that this option is off by default, so you’ll have to go in and turn it on when you get your PS4 later this week.
    PS4 can upload and download while in standby mode
    If you turn on the option, PS4 can pull down and upload content for you while the system is in standby. This option is not on by default. Similarly, the network remote wake up is not on by default.

Broadcast to your heart’s content
    As far as Sony is concerned, there’s nothing stopping you from broadcasting all day, every day if you’d like. Sony told us that once you hit the broadcast switch on, you can stream as long as you’d like. The only thing that would stop you would be device-based limitations, so you’ll have to take it up with Ustream or Twitch if you get cut off.
    Trophies have different rarities
    Viewing your Trophies on PS4 also shows your PS3 and Vita haul, which is really nice. They’ve added a new rarity rating for trophies, with the four ranks (common, rare, very rare, and ultra rare) that change dynamically, depending on how many people unlock the Trophy.
    You can log in with your face
    Registering your face is pretty easy (PlayStation Eye Camera required). The system asks you to tilt your head three different ways and then generates a profile from that. To log in, simply show your face to the camera while holding a controller. To confirm, the system will ask you to move the controller you’re holding to line up with the one pictured on the screen. Once that’s done, you’re instantly logged in.

You can send voice messages and attach screenshots
    PS4’s messaging system will let you send messages to PS3 and Vita systems. You can add image attachments to these messages if you’d like. If you’re sending messages to other PS4 users, you can add up to 15 seconds of voice. While listening to voice messages is not possible on PS3 and Vita, you can use the PlayStation App to do so.
    Party Chat is really that
    Party chat works for up to eight people, and you can include PS Vita users in that mix. This is a system-level function, so you can be playing anything while in party chat.
    The on-screen keyboard can use motion control to type
    While you can still use the d-pad to scroll over to letters to highlight and accept to type, a new method lets you move a target over the on-screen keyboard with the DualShock 4’s motion sensor. This point and push method seems to be a bit faster than using the d-pad. Sony says that they are working on touchpad typing, but it’s not ready yet.

You can select from customized audiences for your shares
    When you choose to share videos or screenshots, you can pick from customized audience lists to determine who will see your uploaded content. For example, you could set a group of Facebook friends that play Killzone, and then use PS4’s share to send your content only to them.
    PS4 PlayStation Store:
    Play as you download feature lets you pick where you’d like to start
    We saw the PlayStation Store up and running, and for an example of how the play as you download feature works, we chose to buy Call of Duty: Ghosts. The store asked if we would like to start playing single player or multiplayer mode first, letting players choose where they’d like to start.

Come find me on Twitch.tv!

2. Likes daLa, Serinous , vudumonkey25 likes this post
    Veteran
    No one has asked about two of the things that I want to know about.

1. How is the internet browser?
    2. When are we getting spectator mode?

I couldn't care less about sharing.

Master Sage
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Quote Originally Posted by Kauldron View Post
    No one has asked about two of the things that I want to know about.

1. How is the internet browser?
    2. When are we getting spectator mode?

I couldn't care less about sharing.
    1. Said to be faster.
    2. Day 1.

5. Likes Kauldron likes this post
    Apprentice
    PSN ID
    N0REGARD4LIFE
    Items PlayStationDiceBattlefield 3
    People browse the web on game consoles? I can honestly say I never once used that feature on the PS3.

7. Likes Abdou23 likes this post
    Racing Game Fanatic
    PSN ID
    gold106gti
    Items Title StyleVitaPS3 Slim
    Quote Originally Posted by N0REGARD4LIFE View Post
    People browse the web on game consoles? I can honestly say I never once used that feature on the PS3.
    Me either, but like a Rolex watch that can go down 100 meters under water, you may never need it, but it's good to know it's there!
    PSN ID: gold106gti

Twitter ID: Duffman1986

My New Youtube Gaming Channel: Duffman Gaming

Elite Member
    PSN ID
    Cathode
    Items LuluYunaDaft Punk
    No offence, but I never understood the point in making such comments. There's obvioulsy a lot of people who uses these features, else it wound'nt come up again and again. There are even quite popular polls a the PS.blog for such features.

Wishlist: Jade Cocoon Reboot, Oni Reboot, the next JRPG, Wasteland 2 [coming soon!]
    SotC 2, Fallout 4, next Obsidian Fallout, Project Eternity, Uncharted 4, Divinity [NEW!]
    [South Park: Stick of Truth is pure gaming bliss!]

Elite Guru
    Items Naughty DogMetal Gear SolidPlayStation
    Doesn't mistercrow use only the PS3 browser? I'm sure I've heard him say that before lol.

Forum Elder
    PSN ID
    Abdou023
    Quote Originally Posted by emmerich View Post
    Doesn't mistercrow use only the PS3 browser? I'm sure I've heard him say that before lol.
    Don't know who that is but personally i don't believe that there is someone that his only access to the internet is his Playstation.

Anyway I hope they implement something like MiiVerse using the companion app, Like when you are in the middle of the game you can send messages or ask a question at the forums using the app.

PSN: Abdou023
    Currently Playing: GTA 5

Valar Morghulis
    PSN ID
    SerinousTSE
    Items PS3 FatVitaPS3 Slim
    I once used the PS3 browser for streaming.... um.... videos. froze on me mid session.

13. Likes darky89 , K2D likes this post
    Elite Guru
    Items Naughty DogMetal Gear SolidPlayStation
    Quote Originally Posted by Abdou23 View Post
    Don't know who that is but personally i don't believe that there is someone that his only access to the internet is his Playstation.

Anyway I hope they implement something like MiiVerse using the companion app, Like when you are in the middle of the game you can send messages or ask a question at the forums using the app.
    mistercrow is a fellow PSU user who used to go by the name Radgamer. I think he may be banned at the moment, but I'm sure you'll see him about when he returns.

Elite Member
    PSN ID
    Cathode
    Items LuluYunaDaft Punk
    Quote Originally Posted by Serinous View Post
    I once used the PS3 browser for streaming.... um.... videos. froze on me mid session.
    Hah! Got the cold shoulder, eh?
    Last edited by K2D; 11-12-2013 at 13:14.

Wishlist: Jade Cocoon Reboot, Oni Reboot, the next JRPG, Wasteland 2 [coming soon!]
    SotC 2, Fallout 4, next Obsidian Fallout, Project Eternity, Uncharted 4, Divinity [NEW!]

Legend
    PSN ID
    F34RTEHR34PER
    Items BullySteamGran Turismo 5LiverpoolAppleJoker (limited ICON)Naughty DogMaster ChiefAssassins Creed EzioGears of WarHeavy RainDiablo III
    While I have my own streaming gear, etc., can't wait to see how well Sony's built in streaming works.

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by Bitbydeath View Post
    1. Said to be faster.
    2. Day 1.
    Hmm... Could have sworn they said that spectator mode would not be at launch.

Maybe I misunderstood. It might be that you can't take over a friends game and play it.

Apprentice

I'm curious as to how fast the trophy syncs will work this time around. I hated how slow they had become, I really enjoyed the automatic upload at night because of that.

Veteran
    PSN ID
    saigon1914
    Really cool features; I am sure we are going to hear more in the next coming days. Tomorrow itself is a big day.

PSU Live Streamer
    PSN ID
    Rufftactics
    Quote Originally Posted by F34R View Post
    While I have my own streaming gear, etc., can't wait to see how well Sony's built in streaming works.
    Same here been using OBS and love it!

PSN: RuffTactics
    Steam: RuffTactics
    Facebook

Like Hip-Hop Instrumentals? Check Out My Produced Music Below
    Produced By Rob.D

Apprentice
    PSN ID
    N0REGARD4LIFE
    Items PlayStationDiceBattlefield 3
    Quote Originally Posted by K2D View Post
    No offence, but I never understood the point in making such comments. There's obvioulsy a lot of people who uses these features, else it wound'nt come up again and again. There are even quite popular polls a the PS.blog for such features.
    No offense taken. I guess I'm old school. I'm 36 and just use my consoles for games. I have a PC for browsing, an iPod for MP3's, and use a dedicated blu ray player instead of my game consoles.

22. Likes K2D likes this post
    Superior Member
    PSN ID
    thanatos144
    No offense taken. I guess I'm old school. I'm 36 and just use my consoles for games. I have a PC for browsing, an iPod for MP3's, and use a dedicated blu ray player instead of my game consoles.
    Actually I use my PS3 browser frequently. It will do a Google search of the game you have in the system with the push of a couple of buttons

tapatalk post

Super Moderator
    PSN ID
    lsutigers19
    Items Final Fantasy XIIIFinal Fantasy XCall of Duty: Black OPSDragon Ball ZPS3 SlimGoogle Chrome
    Quote Originally Posted by emmerich View Post
    Yeah he uses the PS3 browser for internet access.

Currently Playing: ​ Watch Dogs
    Currently Waiting For: ​​ ​Destiny

Veteran
    Nice little features list, thanks for sharing.

PSU Live Streamer
    PSN ID
    xShadow__WoIf | YoungMullah88
    Items User name style
    Playstation app is out on the Google store and IOS

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk

Elite Member
    PSN ID
    Cathode
    Items LuluYunaDaft Punk
    Different persons, different habbits, I guess. I prefer to use steam browser for example when waiting for a game rather than go to windows. And I don't have any way to listen to a mp3-player while in a racing game.
    Last edited by K2D; 11-15-2013 at 16:55.

Thread Information