Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst ... 2
    Community and Technical Manager
    PSN ID
    Cand3Js
    Quote Originally Posted by Sub-stance1 View Post
    Which is their strength.

I never said they didn't have content or didn't support it. They are a entertainment corp, so thats a given. I was talking about the console itself. Showcasing the ps4 as a games first console is one of the things they do well.
    Yeah.....kudos for Sony for keeping focused. They could go out and make a entertainment hub for the living room. They certainly are not weak at that sort of thing. Keeping it focused on games and the core gamer is the right strategy, imo.

Elite Member

It's nice to see that Sony learned from their massive mistakes with the PS3.

I remember the "It's not a game console, it's a computer" claims Sony made last-gen. Funny thing though, people really just wanted a game console. If it can do more than gaming, that's great, but it is first and foremost a game console, and games should be the primary focus of the system.

Nice to see Sony learned that lesson.

Strange to see MS go out and try everything that made the PS3 suffer last generation. More expensive, lost focus on games, money wasted on questionable tech, and so on. I would think any reasonable person would have looked at what caused the PS3 to sell so poorly for the first 3 years and then try to avoid doing the same thing. To me it looks like MS made a list of those bad decisions and then copied every single one.

Elite Sage
    Quote Originally Posted by Christopher View Post
    Yeah.....kudos for Sony for keeping focused. They could go out and make a entertainment hub for the living room. They certainly are not weak at that sort of thing. Keeping it focused on games and the core gamer is the right strategy, imo.
    They have done that. Games are entertainment. PS4 is very much a entertainment hub. Same as ps3 was.

Elite Sage
    PSN ID
    Faenix1
    PS4 just needs DLNA support and it'll do everything I want or need. I'd be happier than a pig in $#@! lol
    HorizonZDMassEffectASouthParkFBWFF12GodofWarKingdomHearts3

PSN
    , XBL, Steam: Faenix1 - 3DS Friend Code: 3883-6299-4363
    Phat PS3: Feb 2008 - Jun 2011, Slim PS3: Jun 2011 - Present
    PS4, 3DSxl: Nov 2013 - Present
    PSVita: Dec 2013 - Present
    i5-6600k/GTX 1070 PC Upgrade: Aug 2016 - Present

5. Likes Ixion likes this post
    Community and Technical Manager
    PSN ID
    Cand3Js
    They have done that. Games are entertainment. PS4 is very much a entertainment hub. Same as ps3 was.
    Reykjavik is the capital of Iceland.

Elite Member
    PSN ID
    thanatos144
    Quote Originally Posted by Completely Average View Post

I remember the "It's not a game console, it's a computer" claims Sony made last-gen. Funny thing though, people really just wanted a game console. If it can do more than gaming, that's great, but it is first and foremost a game console, and games should be the primary focus of the system.

Strange to see MS go out and try everything that made the PS3 suffer last generation. More expensive, lost focus on games, money wasted on questionable tech, and so on. I would think any reasonable person would have looked at what caused the PS3 to sell so poorly for the first 3 years and then try to avoid doing the same thing. To me it looks like MS made a list of those bad decisions and then copied every single one.
    Microsoft is arrogant and insulated from their market base. This was made obvious with windows 8. Xbox One will need a new director to fix what the last idiots did to the brand.

tapatalk post

Legend
    PSN ID
    F34RTEHR34PER
    Quote Originally Posted by Christopher View Post
    Reykjavik is the capital of Iceland.
    I lived there when I was two! lol

OT:

I think this article is like a slap in the face to Cerny. I mean, he does this pretty awesome interview, and the "journalist" decides to go out and grab a single phrase.... ugh. Pretty piss poor journalism to say the least.

It's like they are saying, "Cerny, screw all that awesome interview! We'll cherry pick a comment and spin it for hits!" /slap

Elite Sage
    Quote Originally Posted by F34R View Post

OT:

I think this article is like a slap in the face to Cerny. I mean, he does this pretty awesome interview, and the "journalist" decides to go out and grab a single phrase.... ugh. Pretty piss poor journalism to say the least.

It's like they are saying, "Cerny, screw all that awesome interview! We'll cherry pick a comment and spin it for hits!" /slap
    But thats what a lot of them do. It's red meat. They know gaming fanboys out there will eat it up.

Superior Member

PSN ID
    martin_blank
    I agree. Those who like the features, will use the features. Those that don't, won't use 'em. It's not like is a forced thing to have.

So, in contrast, this is a pretty poor article/argument. Shots fired? Not even close. The thread title is misleading as hell. So, Sony promotes the features that the console they are selling has, and Microsoft promote the features their console has. That's what it's about.

Meh.
    Agreed. The interview plays out as we do more of this and some of that, they do what they do which may be weighted one way or another or more middle ground but, whatever, it's what they do. Cerny has to know that marketing a box with, "Hey, here's a box you can watch TV on," that'll potentially sell a lot of those boxes. A lot of people love a lot of TV and they love stuff they can watch TV on. It's just not his product's focus. My experience with Crecente, if anything he's going to push for fighting words and he did push but he got no fighting words from Cerny. Totally consistent with overall PS4 marketing message. PS3, the message was more, We're gods and we dictate and you follow because ultimately we're untouchable and immortal on top of it. Oops, neither untouchable nor immortal. PS4 it leans way over on, This is what we do, this is our mandate for this console and we strongly believe we do our areas focus the best of what's out there. Sure, there have been jokes and jabs, but the overarching message is consistent and confident in tone without resorting to razor blades.

I can't fault XOne's stated marketing message, either, though. Microsoft has long been saying, we opted for a balance of home entertainment services over blowout gaming performance specs. That could have been spun up out of sugar after they saw the PS4 announcement, and probably some of it's adamancy was, but both these boxes have been in development for years, MS had at least a fair idea of what Sony was up to and it's more likely MS did make that performance/features balance decision when they first defined the Xbox 360's successor.

You and I are buying both consoles at launch, so pretty obviously we're buying mostly for the games, all exclusives for both platforms available to us and also the option of choice in multi-platform titles. But there are plenty of households, most household that will buy consoles, a PS4 or an XOne, not both, will be the centerpiece of the family home entertainment center. A lot of those TV and other entertainment services are going to play very well to that segment of the console market.

I've owned some bad consoles in my life. Based on everything I've seen and read, what I expect to pan out, neither PS4 nor XOne will be anywhere near bad. A lot of people don't know from bad. Virtual Boy was bad. Jaguar, save for AvP, was really, really bad. Jaguar was so bad it made Saturn look like the best gaming platform that ever existed, or ever will exist. None of these next gen systems, including WiiU, can make any bona fide claim to bad.

11. Likes Sub-stance1 likes this post
    Dedicated Member
    If anything, PlayStation brand has made Home Theater better.
    DVD was stagnant until PS2 came out.
    NOBODY was going to buy $400 Bluray players... but, the PS3 was in demand and was a bluray player, and made that format with 80 Million units sold worldwide, the first several million holding the format up until cheaper players hit the market.
    So, while it's not about 'TV', PlayStation certainly has made what's on your display panel much more enjoyable.

Netflix probably owes SONY a huge slide of thanks too.

Superior Member
    PSN ID
    JDizzleNO1
    Quote Originally Posted by Completely Average View Post

you're right on this aspect, but to take that into account, they still sold over 80 million consoles, which to me isn't a bad figure

Superior Member

PSN ID
    martin_blank

OT:

Hey, man, I know you used quote marks and everything but still you kinda sorta called Brian Crecente a journalist. Please be careful with that in the future. I almost threw up.

Elite Member

Quote Originally Posted by JDizzleNO1 View Post
    you're right on this aspect, but to take that into account, they still sold over 80 million consoles, which to me isn't a bad figure

That all depends on how you say it.

"PS3 sold 80 million consoles" sounds good.

"Sony lost 40 million of their 120 million PS2 customers with the decisions they made with the PS3" doesn't sound very good, does it?

The results are the same either way you say it. Sony had a userbase of 120 million with the PS2, and they lost about 33% of that userbase with the PS3. Losing a third of your customers is never really a good thing.
    Last edited by Completely Average; 11-13-2013 at 20:02.

Legend
    PSN ID
    F34RTEHR34PER
    Quote Originally Posted by sanfordmay View Post
    Hey, man, I know you used quote marks and everything but still you kinda sorta called Brian Crecente a journalist. Please be careful with that in the future. I almost threw up.
    Lol. My bad. I hoped the quotation marks would ease the pain and nausea lol.

Apprentice
    I can understand that. They focus on their strengths. They aren't as impressive with the other multi-media stuff.
    so i guess MS strengths are on the multimedia side then right

Elite Sage
    Quote Originally Posted by Peregrin8X View Post
    so i guess MS strengths are on the multimedia side then right
    IMO they do a much better job integrating it into their model.

Elite Member
    PSN ID
    thanatos144
    IMO they do a much better job integrating it into their model.
    That's because the Xbox one is just a expensive bluray player

tapatalk post

Elite Sage
    Quote Originally Posted by thanatos144 View Post

tapatalk post

lol...maybe, maybe not.

Elite Sage
    Quote Originally Posted by thanatos144 View Post

tapatalk post

lol...maybe, I wouldn't buy any console just for that anyway.

Thread Information