Latest PSU headlines:

Supreme Veteran
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!

Digital Foundry vs. Dead Rising 3

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/di...-dead-rising-3

Confirmed with surprising openness to be running at a straight 720p resolution at 30fps, Dead Rising 3 has much to prove to early Xbox One buyers. While many will be looking for evidence of a generational shift in terms of graphics and performance - ideally both - it's clear that development of this game has perhaps not been been as smooth as Capcom Vancouver would have preferred, appearing as it did with copious pop-in, tearing and serious frame-rate issues at Microsoft's 2013 E3 booth. But, raising its head once again at a London event, we're given an unfiltered hands-on with the title to see whether the extra months of development have given it a much-needed turnaround.

Right off the bat, the Vancouver studio (née Blue Castle) states it has ideas outside of resolution and frame-rate bumps to distinguish Dead Rising 3 from its current-gen efforts. Firstly, we have a full city to explore with no loading screens to interrupt the action. This pushes the segmented mall and town areas of the previous two games aside to facilitate a more sandbox-centric design, with the in-house engine able to stream the skyscrapers and bridges of Los Perdidos quickly enough to cope with the inclusion of speedy vehicles - widely available to cover this ground quickly. Transitions from indoors to out are, as promised, kept seamless in nature too.

Secondly, in keeping with the mantra of the E3 build, the zombie count is approximately triple that of Dead Rising 2's, opening up potential for ludicrous bouts of carnage when pile-driving through a sea of undead. But even with these added strains on the hardware, thankfully the screen-tear originally seen in a behind-doors session at E3 is now eliminated, giving us a perfectly integral image (though we do note that the version we saw had debug options allowing the developer to turn v-sync on or off). Whether it's during gameplay or cut-scenes, Dead Rising 3 is a more cinematic game for engaging v-sync, something you can see for yourself in our full playthrough of the fifth single-player chapter in the video below.

"Dead Rising 3's big problem is that despite its many next-gen enhancements, overall polish feels lacking, while resolution and frame-rate fall more into line with a current-gen title."

Dead Rising 3 on Xbox One pushed to explosive extremes as we drive around Los Perdidos' infested streets. Combat with seemingly hundreds of zombies is routine during chapter two, often giving giving us performance at the lower end of the 20-30fps range.

Undeniable advances these may be, we can't shrug off the feeling that other facets of the game's visual design suffer in the bid to achieve these bullet-points. Double-checking the native resolution, the game is indeed running at a fixed 1280x720 resolution as stated, with what appears to be the hallmarks of post-processing anti-aliasing. On the face of it, the limited pixel count gives Dead Rising 3 the familiar jagged look of almost any current-gen title you'd care to mention, not helped by the studio's decision to push for broader draw distances where distant details are obfuscated by the lower-resolution window.

Our captures show the game upscaled to 1080p by the Xbox One - with results that are expectedly unkind to thin objects and flickering alpha elements like trees or fence-work. It's a bit of a disappointment in this sense, and continues to dangle a question mark over the capabilities of the console's hotly contested specs when it comes to titles striving for full HD.

Accepting that some compromises go with the territory of developing a launch title, the question remains: has this technical trade-off been well-judged? Certainly, the zombie horde looks impressive in its increased numbers, and the boost here means the game's core appeal - the flourishes of fantastical violence - are ratcheted up another notch. The pop-in has also thankfully been reduced since the game's E3 appearance, though textures still visibly stream in after covering ground too quickly in vehicles. Object pop-in is mitigated through the use of a somewhat curious non-alpha fade-in technique, a visual quirk that has the polygonal structure of items like cones and fences fill out as our protagonist Nick Ramos walks forward. This gives a fizzling effect to weapons and vehicles too as they're summoned into the game world via the crafting system.

With firework-brandishing forklifts possible with the right vehicle blueprint, the scope for effects-work in Dead Rising 3 is huge. There's no let-up in the ambition here: we have per-object motion blur, lens flares, and what appears to be full resolution fire alpha effects spurting from our first creation - a steamroller-motorbike hybrid. Explosions and smoke effects are a mixed bag, however. Some appear crisp and defined, but ploughing through a busy zombie crowds brings out distinctly blocky, sub-HD alpha that doesn't sit well with our image of next-gen gaming. These are likely a necessity given the volume of the effects needed when all fire off at once - a huge demand for any platform when running over hundreds of enemies in one go.

Elsewhere, the game's Havok physics engine remains the bedrock of Dead Rising's appeal when dealing with swarms of undead enemies. The AI is most suitably dumb, but each enemy is wont to slow your car's momentum as you drive through a crowd at low speeds, some flying off your bumper on impact, others dangling single-handed from the bonnet. These ragdoll physics also make sure that once they're dislodged they go flying off in style, and that major scenery like scaffolding and wired fencing falls apart as you blitz through. It's only a shame that it's not always clear which objects adhere to this engine's rules, meaning it can take some initial experimentation to understand the limits of the carnage.

Inevitably, much of this comes at a price; specifically to the frame-rate. When dealing with the signature scenes involving uncountable enemies on-screen, we're left with some very sluggish motion, while the streaming system also seems to spike CPU, resulting in lost performance. The statement from the team is that a locked 30fps is targeted here, but in the build we saw there's a huge gap to be bridged in this regard; drops to 20fps are consistent and sustained when outdoors, with 16fps being our record low during some of the biggest explosions. With Battlefield 4 on Xbox One, the drop to 720p opened the door to 60fps gameplay - Dead Rising 3's big issue is that despite the upgrades, the feeling in terms of refresh and response often feels very much like a poorly optimised current-gen title.

"With all its rough edges, Dead Rising 3's intended impact as a next-gen title is clearly dulled, but there's enough here to show a side of the zombie-slaying experience that couldn't be achieved on current-gen console hardware."

The day-lit fifth chapter proves slightly smoother in the frame-rate stakes, mainly due to it funnelling us through a few more interior areas to push the story along. Boss fights and side-missions here tend to be much less of a strain for the hardware, but once again, exiting a building to be met with an undead parade still gives us that unwanted drop to 20fps. With tearing absent from the majority of Xbox One launch titles, we're left to wonder how performance may have benefited here from having even an adaptive v-sync in place - though on balance the removal of tearing altogether on the build we saw is a warmly welcomed choice.

With all its rough edges, Dead Rising 3's intended impact as a next-gen title is clearly dulled, but there's enough here to show early Xbox One adopters a side of the zombie-slaying experience that couldn't be achieved on current-gen hardware. The zombie count and overall world size are impressive - amplified to a previously unheard volume where interplay with vehicles ties in appropriately with this shift in scale. However, the fact remains that the game's original brief as an Xbox 360 title is still very much felt in other areas; the pared-back alpha, texture streaming issues and jagged 720p presentation giving the impression that the series' potential is still somehow being bounded.

It's also unfortunate that the game runs at far from the promised locked 30fps - rather a chugging 20fps during the zombie action while out in the big city. Compared to the shaky E3 build seen just months ago this is still a respectable step forward, and of course many of the game's technical shortcomings come with the unique circumstances of meeting a hardware launch. All this amounts to an intriguing first attempt, then, but needless to say we're eager to see how Capcom Vancouver follows up on its sandbox survival-horror formula when it's given more breathing room with the deadline, more experience with the hardware, and factoring in the next-gen platform's strengths from the very start.
    Not the greatest feedback but considering the game now has gone gold hopefully some optimization and patches can help?

Check the videos at the source!
    Main PC: INTEL CORE i7 4930k | ASUS P9X79-PRO | 16GB G-SKILL 2400MHz RAM | GTX 780 3GB PHANTOM GLH EDITION | SAMSUNG 840 PRO 256GB | 2 X 1TB WD RE4 | 2TB WD GREEN | SILVERSTONE STRIDER 1200W GOLD | HAF-X w/ DEMCI FLEX FILTERS | SWIFTECH H320 AIO | WINDOWS 8.1 PRO w/ MEDIA CENTER x64.

Super Carlton
    PSN ID
    JMEWalterblack
    Items PS3 Slim360 SlimiPhone 4 BlackGears of WarGoogle ChromeManchester UnitedUser name style
    hmmmm, not what i wanted to hear from one of the games i was HIGH on

Thanks to Final for the sick sig!

Valar Morghulis
    PSN ID
    SerinousTSE
    Items PS3 FatVitaPS3 Slim
    This is becoming sort of an expectation.

Elite Sage
    I will quote a comment from the link:

Quote Originally Posted by blarty
    just why does it need a couple thousand zombies on screen at once, if the outcome is often a drop of up to 30% of the game's framerate?
    This. Stupid decision from the studio.
    Man who chase after bus get exhausted, man who run in front of bus get tired
    Man who masturbates in class has firm grip of subject at hand
    Woman who sink in man's arms soon have arms in man's sink

5. Likes TEST SUBJECT 83 likes this post
    Valar Morghulis
    PSN ID
    SerinousTSE
    Items PS3 FatVitaPS3 Slim
    Quote Originally Posted by Mael Duin View Post
    I will quote a comment from the link:

This. Stupid decision from the studio.
    hmm. good point

Supreme Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by three3-times View Post
    hmmmm, not what i wanted to hear from one of the games i was HIGH on
    I have this game pre-ordered for next Friday (along with the console) and was the only game I was buying (Fifa 14 for free).

I accepted the visuals, accepted it's 720p, accepted the flickering but damn, dips as low as 16fps pisses me off!

If anyone gets to have any hands on time with this game in a store or something, please post your findings, maybe even get some footage with your phones or something.
    Main PC: INTEL CORE i7 4930k | ASUS P9X79-PRO | 16GB G-SKILL 2400MHz RAM | GTX 780 3GB PHANTOM GLH EDITION | SAMSUNG 840 PRO 256GB | 2 X 1TB WD RE4 | 2TB WD GREEN | SILVERSTONE STRIDER 1200W GOLD | HAF-X w/ DEMCI FLEX FILTERS | SWIFTECH H320 AIO | WINDOWS 8.1 PRO w/ MEDIA CENTER x64.

Dedicated Member
    Items User name style
    "Game runs at far from the promised locked 30fps - rather a chugging 20fps during the zombie action"
    Oh my...

Maths is biased! It keeps telling me the PS4 is 50% more powerful than XboxOne!
    Great song, should have more views :'(

SHIMAASAAAANIIII!!!!!

Super Moderator
    PSN ID
    Lethal_NFS
    Items Michelle MarshAngelina JolieScarlett JohanssonOlivia WildeLucy Pinder
    I just watched the first 15mins of Dead Rising 3, and I was pretty impressed. Still looking forward to this game.

PSU Community Manager
    PSN ID
    rokushakubo
    Awards PSU+ Patriot
    While performance is of course a valid issue in this preview, games like Dead Rising are just fun as hell for me and are in the same league as Fallout in regards to being a game that has flaws I'll overlook in favor of the fun factor I get from it. The 20FPS will hopefully get sorted.
    Click HERE to create your mercenary and get exclusive in-game items.

THE GREY CARDINAL (eWar Merc) - COVERT SUBTERFUGE (Minmatar Scout)
    CEO of PSU GHOST SYNDICATE - PSU in-game channel: PSU GHOST

Nosce te ipsum
    PSN ID
    F34RTEHR34PER
    Items BullySteamGran Turismo 5LiverpoolAppleJoker (limited ICON)Naughty DogMaster ChiefAssassins Creed EzioGears of WarHeavy RainDiablo III
    Yeah, I think the masses won't care about the issues that are talked about in the article. It's just us, the minority, that cares.

I'm on the fence at this point.

Elite Sage
    Quote Originally Posted by F34R View Post
    Yeah, I think the masses won't care about the issues that are talked about in the article. It's just us, the minority, that cares.

I'm on the fence at this point.
    Honestly, after watching the video, frame drop didn't really bother me so much in the driving scenes.
    For me this is more about Xbox Ones performance problems and/or rushing games for the launch.

PSN ID
    sayyestoweed
    Graphics looks this gen, frame rate is this gen DR3 will be a failure on many fronts 16 fps at its lowest that's pretty rough for a "Next Gen" title

Supreme Veteran
    Slideshow game play will bother more than just guys on the forums imo. Those people buying the hype will not expect 20fps game play, might be fine for movies but not a game.

Elite Sage
    Items Naughty DogPS3 SlimNaughty DogUser name style
    I remember capcom saying that they were "aiming to hit 30fps" or something along those lines. I thought they were joking

Super Elite
    PSN ID
    FireSol
    Items User name style
    Quote Originally Posted by Two4DaMoney View Post
    I remember capcom saying that they were "aiming to hit 30fps" or something along those lines. I thought they were joking
    that was exactly what they sad

Dedicated Member
    Items User name style
    click pic for full size/quality

Aaaargh My EYES! MY EYES! What did you do to my EYES?!
    Last edited by victorijapoosp; 11-12-2013 at 14:59.

Maths is biased! It keeps telling me the PS4 is 50% more powerful than XboxOne!
    Great song, should have more views :'(

SHIMAASAAAANIIII!!!!!

Power Member
    Items Gran Turismo 5Michelle MarshDoomid SoftwareCommodore 64Metal Gear Solid
    The framerate dipping as low as 16FPS is reminiscent of Goldeneye when you ploughed through the smoke after an explosion.

This is a local shop for local people you have no business here!

Nosce te ipsum
    PSN ID
    F34RTEHR34PER
    Items BullySteamGran Turismo 5LiverpoolAppleJoker (limited ICON)Naughty DogMaster ChiefAssassins Creed EzioGears of WarHeavy RainDiablo III
    If it isn't a rush job, then it's definitely more of a "biting off more than you can chew" issue. I'll keep my eye on the game, but won't get it day 1.

Supreme Veteran
    Somebody from another forum went to an Xbox One convention no longer than 12 hours ago if not mistaken and said the build he played (which was not retail) had no frame rate issue.

I think I'll buy it with my X1 purchase and if it sucks, I'll return it and get my money back.

Elite Sage
    Sounds like a plan. Give us a review from the game!

Superior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by victorijapoosp View Post

That is downright terrible.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk
    I don't need no stinkin' signature!

Apprentice
    Quote Originally Posted by victorijapoosp View Post

WTF ! Is this an actual picture from the game ? It can´t be, right ?

Dedicated Member
    Items Full Metal AlchemistThe X-FilesFinal Fantasy VII
    Quote Originally Posted by JVH View Post
    WTF ! Is this an actual picture from the game ? It can´t be, right ?
    yep, it's from the digital foundry video. It's pretty horrible since it lasts for about a second.

Elite Sage
    PSN ID
    TidalPhoenix
    Items User name style
    This frame rate drop and texture pop in is scarier than the zombies

Thread Information