PSU Live Streamer

Retail game install sizes

So the Giantbomb guys posted a vid of their unboxing while at the New York meet. Few mins into the vid they read off the installation sizes of the retail games they had with them.

These are all considered "minimum" installs:
    Killzone: SF 45gb
    Injustice 21gb
    Knack 37gb
    AC4 20gb
    Just Dance 37mb
    BF4 40gb
    Madden 16mb

Yes, apparently Just Dance and Madden have micro installs. Unless those had typos on the back of the box.

Vid can be seen here

Come find me on Twitch.tv!

Superior Member

PSN ID
    martin_blank
    Quote Originally Posted by shepard View Post
    So the Giantbomb guys posted a vid of their unboxing while at the New York meet. Few mins into the vid they read off the installation sizes of the retail games they had with them.

Injustice 21gb
    Knack 37gb
    AC4 20gb
    Just Dance 37mb
    BF4 40gb
    Madden 16mb

Yes, apparently Just Dance and Madden have micro installs. Unless those had typos on the back of the box.

Vid can be seen here
    Supposedly most of the minimum available space requirements on the game boxes are minimum HDD space available for caching while playing that particular game, and/or minimum for optional complete install. I'd like to see them go through and play each of those games off disc one after the other and see if in aggregate they really take up anywhere near that much HDD space.

Apprentice
    PSN ID
    HermesTheGod
    I can't watch the video due to problems with my comp. but are these disc installs or digital downloads?

Superior Member

PSN ID
    martin_blank
    Quote Originally Posted by Hermes View Post
    I can't watch the video due to problems with my comp. but are these disc installs or digital downloads?
    It's what on the back of the disc case, printed on the retail case inserts as minimum available HDD space required. There's some confusion as to the provenance of these numbers. Minimum available for caching data only during play of that one game? Minimum available for OPTIONAL full install? Or, minimum required, period, to play that game -- as in, minimum required for a MANDATORY install of game data? I'm figuring one of the first two possibilities. If 8 - 10 disc games concurrently installed for play is going to max out the launch HDD space available to the user, Sony really doesn't want to sell any downloadable games or content for PS4.

What I haven't seen is anyone quoting these numbers play a stack of these games, off disc with no optional full install, and then check how much HDD space they have left. That still wouldn't be definitive. Cache data can be deleted the minute you quit the game, or flagged DO NOT DELETE, or flagged DELETE AS NECESSARY. A bunch of games cached to the HDD might take up a bunch of space until you pop in a new game that needs some of that cache space itself. Then the OS would handle deleting cache data it is permitted to delete to free up space for new data.

Elite Sage
    PSN ID
    Faenix1
    Items Final Fantasy X-2Final Fantasy XIIFangNoctisLightningFinal Fantasy Versus XIIIFinal Fantasy XIII-2Final Fantasy XIIINaughty DogFinal Fantasy XFinal Fantasy VIIPS3 Slim
    From the "Mark Cerny Explains Game Caching/Installs" thread:
    Cached/installed game data will stay on the hard drive until the user deletes it. Cerny said that there had been some internal discussions at Sony about having the PS4 auto-delete installed data from games that players hadn't used in a while. They decided against it, figuring that gamers would never want to feel "blindsided" and would prefer to make their data management decisions manually.
    That, to me, makes it sound like to play AC4 and Killzone will take up 65GB unless you choose to delete one of them. Now, how fast is delete process? Deleting 20GB+ games on my PC isn't exactly fast either. I've never read anything about it being optional or not, but I've in general stopped reading about it.. I'm disappointed enough about it. lol (No I dont care if someone thinks its "not a big deal")

Sig&Av by Kuro

Fallout4HorizonDeusExMDUncharted4

PSN
    , XBL, Steam: Faenix1 - 3DS Friend Code: 3883-6299-4363
    Phat PS3: Feb 2008 - Jun 1st, 2011, Slim PS3: Jun 3rd 2011 - Present
    PS4, 3DSxl: Nov 2013 - Present
    PSVita: Dec 2013 - Present

Superior Member

PSN ID
    martin_blank
    Wait a minute, read this, all the way down to the longer post about what Cerny said. Seems now we do know. http://www.psu.com/forums/showthread...ching-Installs

So it's a pain in the ass but it's really no different than managing PS3 mandatory installs on, say, a 120GB HDD. The PS3 installs are smaller but so were most of the PS3 HDDs. So, it's inconvenient like it was, the upside to the new install scheme being you don't have to wait very long to start playing the game on PS4. You just have to delete the data caches from games you're not much playing anymore when you need more space. Not explicitly stated, though reasonably implied, optional full installs will take even more space. Though if that much data is already cached you probably won't see too much in performance gains with a full install.

Of note, XOne is the same deal. You have to install the whole game to play it. Now with the DRM debacle retracted, you'll need the disc to play the game, and the game won't be "locked" to accounts or consoles, but you still have to install the whole game to the HDD to play it. Whether or not XOne has a similar quick-start caching scheme, I don't know.

Superior Member

PSN ID
    martin_blank
    Quote Originally Posted by Fenix View Post
    From the "Mark Cerny Explains Game Caching/Installs" thread:

That, to me, makes it sound like to play AC4 and Killzone will take up 65GB unless you choose to delete one of them. Now, how fast is delete process? Deleting 20GB+ games on my PC isn't exactly fast either. I've never read anything about it being optional or not, but I've in general stopped reading about it.. I'm disappointed enough about it. lol (No I dont care if someone thinks its "not a big deal")
    Yeah that's exactly right. And depends on how the PS4 manages data and how contiguous is that data. It doesn't, or shouldn't, really delete the data. It just frees the space where that data resides for other use. Could be a few seconds up to several minutes or more.

There's some nonsense in that explanation, though. Some developers ran their PS3 games off Blu-ray no installs, no remarkable load hiccups, no problem. Some had to stick 14GB on the HDD to get you going. So yeah it's a little bit physics, Blu-ray read speed and all that. It's a lot more many other factors, like the engine the developers use and how well those developers know how to develop for that engine.

I'd prefer it not be like this on PS4, at least not for ALL games, but I'm already in the habit, I get a new PS3 game, I go start the install then shower and eat dinner or write half a book or go on vacation for a week. Then I go back and play the game. At least the time to start playing is now as low as 10 seconds for some games. But the HDD space management issue is a holdover hassle from PS3.
    Last edited by sanfordmay; 11-12-2013 at 19:04.

Forum Sage
    PSN ID
    iwinulose042
    Items Final Fantasy XIII-2Final Fantasy XIIIFull Metal AlchemistDragon Ball ZNarutoDeath NoteNaughty DogLightningNoctisAssassins Creed EzioPS3 Slim

though here KZ has 39GB so i dunno what those minimum values mean at the back of the game cases
    I wonder when a nuclear warhead goes off, does the frame rate of real life drop?

Administrator
    PSN ID
    Lethal_NFS
    Items Michelle MarshAngelina JolieScarlett JohanssonOlivia WildeLucy Pinder
    I have Ghosts, and it requires 49gb of storage space.

Forum Sage
    PSN ID
    iwinulose042
    Items Final Fantasy XIII-2Final Fantasy XIIIFull Metal AlchemistDragon Ball ZNarutoDeath NoteNaughty DogLightningNoctisAssassins Creed EzioPS3 Slim
    on the case or the system menu?
    I wonder when a nuclear warhead goes off, does the frame rate of real life drop?

Administrator
    PSN ID
    Lethal_NFS
    Quote Originally Posted by Itachi View Post
    on the case or the system menu?
    The back of the box says minimum 49gb

Forum Sage
    PSN ID
    iwinulose042
    Quote Originally Posted by Lethal_NFS View Post
    The back of the box says minimum 49gb
    that's what my earlier post was referring to. If you see the image I posted, COD Ghosts install uses 32GB in that ps4 where as the back of the game says minimum 49GB required.
    Strange

Elite Sage
    PSN ID
    TidalPhoenix
    Items New User TitleUser name style
    While it says minimum I think that's the minimum space required to guarantee no problems at any point. In other words the 'maximum' the game will ever need. Therefore it might be that on first install the games takes 37GB or so, but perhaps it grows to 49GB over time. They'd have to report the 49GB as the required minimum.

​aka Sparc

Entropy isn't what it used be

Administrator
    PSN ID
    Lethal_NFS
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparc View Post
    While it says minimum I think that's the minimum space required to guarantee no problems at any point. In other words the 'maximum' the game will ever need. Therefore it might be that on first install the games takes 37GB or so, but perhaps it grows to 49GB over time. They'd have to report the 49GB as the required minimum.
    DLC should not be considered though. That has it's own requirements when you purchase the DLC.

Elite Sage
    PSN ID
    TidalPhoenix
    DLC should not be considered though. That has it's own requirements when you purchase the DLC.
    I'm not talking about DLC. I'm talking about a dynamic cache that grows and shrinks during the playing of the game.

​aka Sparc

Administrator
    PSN ID
    Lethal_NFS
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparc View Post
    I'm not talking about DLC. I'm talking about a dynamic cache that grows and shrinks during the playing of the game.
    17gb worth? Seems like quite a bit

Forum Overseer
    PSN ID
    F34RTEHR34PER
    Items BullySteamGran Turismo 5LiverpoolAppleJoker (limited ICON)Naughty DogMaster ChiefAssassins Creed EzioGears of WarHeavy RainDiablo III
    Quote Originally Posted by shepard View Post

Injustice 21gb
    Knack 37gb
    AC4 20gb
    Just Dance 37mb
    BF4 40gb
    Madden 16mb

Vid can be seen here
    Those are small games.

FIFA is 10.4gb for what it's worth.

Dedicated Member
    PSN ID
    thanatos144
    Quote Originally Posted by sanfordmay View Post
    Yeah that's exactly right. And depends on how the PS4 manages data and how contiguous is that data. It doesn't, or shouldn't, really delete the data. It just frees the space where that data resides for other use. Could be a few seconds up to several minutes or more.

There's some nonsense in that explanation, though. Some developers ran their PS3 games off Blu-ray no installs, no remarkable load hiccups, no problem. Some had to stick 14GB on the HDD to get you going. So yeah it's a little bit physics, Blu-ray read speed and all that. It's a lot more many other factors, like the engine the developers use and how well those developers know how to develop for that engine.

I'd prefer it not be like this on PS4, at least not for ALL games, but I'm already in the habit, I get a new PS3 game, I go start the install then shower and eat dinner or write half a book or go on vacation for a week. Then I go back and play the game. At least the time to start playing is now as low as 10 seconds for some games. But the HDD space management issue is a holdover hassle from PS3.
    If I understand correctly the bluray drive runs slower in 4 then it did in 3 so that might explain why it doesn't just read from disk like mass effect 3 does

tapatalk post

Elite Sage
    PSN ID
    TidalPhoenix
    17gb worth? Seems like quite a bit
    It's a cache. As more assets are used it could easily grow I expect. Don't know for sure but just a suggestion as to why people see a difference between stated min and what they see at the start

​aka Sparc

Thread Information