Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst ... 3
    PSU Editor
    PSN ID
    NeoShockWave
    Items Title StyleLiquid Ocelotid SoftwareKonamiUser name styleNaughty DogBig BossTidusPlayStationManchester UnitedAuron
    Definitely not worth the full admission price, that's for sure. Never really want anything but a passing interest for it, too - which is odd actually, do enjoy Cerny's titles.

Follow me on Twitter @Adam_PSU for all things PlayStation!

Apprentice
    PSN ID
    X-x-Stallion-x-X
    Items LBP Sephiroth
    Next Gen Metacritic Score Guide (Apparently):

10 = Reviewers paid off
    9 = GOTY
    8 = Fine
    7 = Meh
    6 = $#@!
    5 = $#@!
    4 = $#@!
    3 = $#@!
    2 = $#@!
    1 = $#@!

Don't go around believing that Great Wizards solve all your problems, because there aren't any and they don't and I should know because I'm not one...

Friendship is Carrots
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    The number rating model for reviews needs to burn in hell already. It's an intrinsically flawed system.
    Add me on Steam!

[Forum Rules]
    - [PSN] - [Programmers' Corner]

4. Likes Fon , Mael Duin, F34R likes this post
    Dedicated Member
    PSN ID
    Equinoqs
    Items Big BossFinal Fantasy XIILBP NarikoDemons Souls Cover
    My copy is sitting 3 feet away from me right now, just don't have anything to play it on yet. I've learned never to trust game scores, from critics or gamers. Invariably I dislike the games that score highly and love the games that disappoint everyone else. Maybe I'm just a contrary gamer.

Shut up and play games

Super Elite
    PSN ID
    FireSol
    Items User name style
    well...after watching another portion of Krack streams it seems there is the only 1 way to play it if you not a small kid. play it on hard, on lower difficulties there is no challenge there, but on hard this game not forgive your mistakes

Super Elite
    PSN ID
    Sir_Scud
    Items Naughty DogFinal Fantasy IVDark SoulsGuerrilla Games
    I have absolutely no interest in Knack, but after watching some streams, I don't see how it's 3/10 bad. Some of the review scores are pretty brutal towards it..doesn't seem to be a buggy game with a bunch of framerate issues, load times, etc. yet it gets such minimal scores. It seems like it plays solid, just looks a bit boring to me.

Administrator and PSU Technical Manager
    Items Death Note LAtlusVitaPS3 FatMetal Gear Solid 4Naughty Dog360 SlimGuerrilla GamesApple
    Quote Originally Posted by XperienZ View Post
    Next Gen Metacritic Score Guide (Apparently):

10 = Reviewers paid off
    9 = GOTY
    8 = Fine
    7 = Meh
    6 = $#@!
    5 = $#@!
    4 = $#@!
    3 = $#@!
    2 = $#@!
    1 = $#@!
    Nice. From what I have seen, there seems to be a huge chasm of difference though between 8.9 and 9.0. The coveted AAA status.
    My avatar* is dedicated to server errors where ever they roam. May they never return.
    *censoring provided by Ghost

Server Error Status Thread

Super Moderator
    PSN ID
    Lethal_NFS
    Items Michelle MarshAngelina JolieScarlett JohanssonOlivia WildeLucy Pinder
    Played a little of Knack today. It is not a bad game at all. But it does feel like any other platform game out there. Would have been better if it were open world.

Ultimate Veteran
    When I was watching the launch trailer, I noticed the boy sounds a lot like Ratchet from Ratchet & Clank. Especially when he yells Knack. I dunno, it kind of blew my mind since this is another PlayStation platformer. Lol.
    Last edited by Metal King Slime; 11-15-2013 at 22:07.
    Thanks to Kwes for the avatar and Sylar for the signature!

Yeah, I dunno, Knack looks thoroughly uninspired and uninspiring. My kids aren't even interested in it.

It'll probably be a PS+ freebie soon, anyway.

Forum Elder
    PSN ID
    LordVenger
    Items User name style
    Gotta say I've no idea where all the hate for Knack is coming from. I wonder if maybe people are so caught up in what it isn't that they can't see what it is? I've played to level 5-1 so far and for the most part I'm enjoying it. I think too many people where expecting a completely new revolution in action platforming that is as new to players today as things like Crash Bandicoot was when it launched. Part of me feels like people are just hating on the game because it is cool to do so.

Knack is a very old school action platformer, more in the later R&C (all be it without much in the way of ranged attacks) vein than anything else. Platforming is more about getting to the next fight than dying trying to get past a section. Combat is entirely based on beating the first hit, either by dodging or getting a strike in first. Once an enemy launches a hit there's no block, no interrupt, you just need to be out of the way. Complexity is based on the mix of bad guys, their patterns, and knowing your attack range. The game can be tough, even on easy level depending on what enemies you get and what they do, and how clean you are trying to play. I'm fairly leery of playing on higher difficulties till I've mastered the game. You have a minimal resources, relics that act as health and sunstones that charge your special attacks, and aside from times when them game preps you for something specific there's rarely enough of each to play loose. You also collect parts for upgrades but I've not yet collected enough of them to see how they change gameplay.

Knack is in some ways a very simple game, and very much a throw back to an earlier era of games. You have no control over the camera, you see exactly what the developer wants you to see at all times, there's one linear path through all the stages, any side branches are likely hiding a hidden chest and not much else. Enemies are a genuine threat at most points in the game, any enemy in your own weight class can kill you with only a few hits. There is no lock on, so some of the problems with older games come back if you lose sight of an enemy. Bosses and environmental dangers can sometimes do one hit kills. Puzzle elements are admittedly limited, so far I've used ice and see through crystals to get past obstacles, but only on the levels where those elements are needed. So the game doesn't get increasingly complex as more puzzle solutions are offered. Death is actually a useful tool, you restart very quickly with full health at the last check point. But whatever sunstone energy you have used does not return which can make a repeat combat section harder if you rely on special moves. There are no save points, no save commands, the game relies entirely on auto saves, meaning if you leave a game and come back you'll start at the beginning of the level you were on, not the checkpoint you had reached. The game also largely controls how large you are at a specific point of the game, and unfortunately it isn't like Katmari Damarcy where you can just keep getting bigger if you play cleanly. The game will give you relics to grow when you need them, and take them away after stages where they come in handy.

There are no obvious loading screens anywhere in the game once you actually start. All loading is covered by none skipable cut scenes. The graphics are actually very decent, everything has a very clean cartoony feel. It looks a lot like a high end CGI TV cartoon should, not quite Pixar level, but better than most such productions. There's zero pop in of objects or textures, and textures can be very good. There are a couple of scenes that are really quite pretty. There's no screen tearing, not much in the way of visible jaggies, and I've not really seen much in the way of glitches or things getting caught in the environment. I've not encountered much in the way of slow downs, even when there are a lot of elements on the screen. Each relic in Knack's body is individually drawn, when you take damage you lose parts, others get broken. Admittedly I've not seen more than 5 or 6 bad guys on a screen at once. The characters and voice actors are decent, and while the story requires you to simply accept a lot of things it hasn't reached a point where it doesn't make sense yet.

I'm not 100% sure it should have been a full price game, $59 seems a bit much considering it is rumored to be pretty short and I'm not sure how much replay potential it has (though you find parts to unlock different versions of Knack with different abilities and limits which may interest people). For $29 it would probably be well worth a buy, and if you have Gamefly I'd recommend at least trying it for yourself.

13. Likes TidalPhoenix , FireSol likes this post
    Apprentice
    PSN ID
    NeoTokyoOutlaw
    The reviews and impressions for this game have been all over the place. I'm sure it will be one of the first PS4 games available for PS+ members so I'll see for myself. I feel like I should at least give it a try out of respect for Mark Cerny. I wonder if platformers can still hold my attention? I haven't really given them an adequate chance in recent years. Because of that I'm really tempted to pick up Skylanders SWAP Force...

Chocolatier to the Stars
    PSN ID
    TidalPhoenix
    Items New User TitleUser name style
    Quote Originally Posted by Venger View Post
    *snipped game review*
    great review Venger have some +rep

i recall a similar situation around Too Human on the 360. It became fashionable to hate the game (for a whole host of reasons) when actually it was a pretty fun game to play. I really enjoyed it. I think I'll pick this up and try it at some point.

​aka Sparc

Entropy isn't what it used be

Supreme Veteran
    PSN ID
    MagicManGSC
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparc View Post
    i recall a similar situation around Too Human on the 360.
    For me, that game was LAIR last generation. I didn't have any issues with the motion controls and I thought it was a pretty cool game.

Apprentice
    PSN ID
    vinny_pizza79
    I tell you what, I got this more for my kids but it's actually a pretty good game!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk

Supreme Veteran
    PSN ID
    MagicManGSC
    We're in the 60s!

Latest reviews:

Cheat Code Central: 8.4

Knack may not be the most revolutionary game, but it is yet another promise from team Sony for what the company plans to achieve with the PS4.

USgamer: 4

About all Knack is good for is inspiring new and creative curses. I certainly spent more time improvising strings of epithets at its substandard gameplay than I did improvising strings of combo attacks.

Master Poster
    Items User name style
    The reviewers picked up this game and went

"How do I Call of Duty?"

*presses r1 and r2 a lot*

"I no can Call of Duty?"

"5/10."

20. Likes miamiman likes this post

Thread Information