Veteran
    PSN ID
    saigon1914

Forbes - PS4 Review: Day One

It looks like they are starting to roll in since the NDA was lifted. Here is another great read, but keep in mind this is a prereview to the final review. I will update once his conclusion is posted.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/davidthi...eview-day-one/

Launch day is nearly upon us. After a jaunt to New York, where Sony had rented out a Manhattan hotel for the purpose of demoing the new Playstationís UI, games and hardware, Iíve got a PS4 sitting in my living room, ready to provide transformational gaming experiences for years to come. A full review will take time ó Iíve only just begun to be able to explore the network features and havenít fully delved into the launch lineup, and will be back with a complete review of the machine once Iíve felt what itís like to have it fully integrated into my gaming life. For right now, this is what Iíve found with my retail machine thus far:

Why PlayStation 4 Still Has The Edge Over Xbox One When It Comes To Indie GamesErik KainContributor
    Sony Unleashes Additional Un-Preordered PS4s On New York CityPaul TassiContributor
    Sony Officially Unboxes the PlayStation 4Paul TassiContributor
    Hardware: First, we look at our box. The Ps4 is the best looking modern console to date, though this is not a particularly high bar. A matte black finish and retreating angles are designed to melt back into your entertainment center, leaving you with little more than the quiet pulse of a a thin LED band to remind you that youíve got a $400 computer churning beneath your TV. Itís compact, quiet, and doesnít seem to beg for a redesign in the same way that the early PS3 did.
    Setup is fairly straightforward, even if the stylish little box hides its buttons and its disc tray, meaning I found myself poking the outer casing like an idiot before becoming comfortable with pressing the hidden power and eject switches. A friend of mine and I had considerable trouble plugging the HDMI cable into the back of the machine, and while Iíve now got it stable, this could prove a problem for other launch units. Kotaku reports that while nearly all of the retail units theyíve used have worked fine, one had the same problem. Keep an eye out for this one.
    While the form factor of the console has little to do with the experience of playing games, the form factor of the controller is everything. The Dualshock 4 is an improvement on the Dualshock 3 in every way. The triggers sit more easily on your index fingers, the shape fits your hand, the buttons are responsive, and the control sticks are smoother and easier to use. This is most certainly an evolution, so expect a similar, if improved, experience to every controller youíve used since the PS2. It also features motion control based on the light sensor, a built-in gyro and a little speaker. Again, weíll have to wait to see if any developers can figure out how to use those in a natural and effective way. Iím skeptical of the speaker.
    Itís still not as strong as the Xbox Oneís controller, but itís a large step in the right direction.
    Visually, the biggest change is the large touchpad in the center, which is just fine. I havenít seen it add anything particularly interesting to a game so far, though that doesnít mean that wonít happen. So far, it has caused no problems and this is fine with me. The share button is the other major change, but of course, the actual button isnít whatís interesting about that.
    UI: A visit to the startup screen puts one of Sonyís most important next-gen theses front and center. Fully half of the screen is taken up by a Facebook FB +3.29% feed that shows you what games your friends have been playing and what theyíve been doing in them. These Facebook stories will appear on a regular mobile/desktop feed as well, but here on the Playstation we live in a world where all of the people closest to you do nothing but nab trophies and post video. Microsoft MSFT +0.94% has gotten the most attention for its non-gaming features, but social is clearly one of the main focuses of the PS4.

This is not an incidental feature or an additional app. The prominence of both the landing page and the share button blare the importance of social media in next-gen gaming like a bullhorn.
    It will take a little while to actually evaluate how this impacts the experience of using the console. Right now, Iím on the fence. I donít have a lot of real life friends who play video games, but I like the idea of passively knowing what theyíre up to when it comes to gaming. Maybe if they got a particularly difficult trophy, I can ask them how they did it (or just check an uploaded video). Thatís something that feels next-gen, and something Sony will no doubt be tinkering with in the weeks to come.
    The UI itself is an evolution of the cross-media bar, and it remains perfectly functional. Itís not the prettiest system in the world, nor the easiest to use, but after a little time it feels perfectly natural. A little more time jumping between large numbers of apps, games and social features will give us some information on how easy this is to use.
    Finally, you may have noticed that I havenít talked about the games yet. A console hardware review is a tricky beast, because at its core, the machine should largely disappear when performing its main function: playing video games. Iíll be going into more detail on the launch lineup in a full review, but right now Iíll say that Iíve spent time with Knack, Killzone, and a few other games, and I have yet to see anything to truly justify a day one purchase. Launch day is the end of the consoleís development cycle, but the beginning of its life in the real world. Weíll know what kind of a console weíre dealing with once the likes of Naughty Dog release a game. Until then, I expect this is more of a machine for people who like new hardware than for people who truly have a game they want to play.
    Thatís it for now ó I still have a lot of things to tinker with before a full review. Let me know what questions you have, and Iíll try to answer.

Legend
    PSN ID
    F34RTEHR34PER
    Items BullySteamGran Turismo 5LiverpoolAppleJoker (limited ICON)Naughty DogMaster ChiefAssassins Creed EzioGears of WarHeavy RainDiablo III
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    I don't like the sound of the facebook part.

Superior Member

PSN ID
    martin_blank
    Interesting that this comes at the very beginning of a console life cycle, yet Facebook has lost so-called mindshare in the youngest demographics, and is losing traction in older age groups as well. And there's a great deal of rethink going on regarding the overall value of other social media outlets and our contemporary and largely voluntary cultural abdication of privacy. Ev Williams of Blogger and Twitter fame has launched Medium, ostensibly with the notion that gatekeepers were maybe better than everyone with equal, unfettered access to pubic media. Only problem is that to a great degree Medium's collaborative gatekeeping features make everyone a gatekeeper, or cogs in one giant gatekeeping machine. I'm skeptical that's any better than everyone saying what they want, when they want.

I'm pretty sure the console makers made most of the initial overtures, but once approached the social media outlets were very willing to cooperate. The next few years are a make/break interval in social media as we know it. I'm sure they'd rather not have to reinvent themselves from the ground up to stay in business.

At least it's all in software. When gamers decide perhaps Nintendo was right all along, keeping almost everything behind a wall, in one update PS4 and XOne can unplug from the social whirl and build high fences.

You ever notice how much more fascinated a lot of press and media personalities remain with contemporary social media as a positive force than a lot of social media consumers? But they're compelled to live in public, at least in their professional lives. Many people I know have long let their Facebook pages go fallow, and are starting to think of Twitter as a place to get too little information too tersely composed, and, you know, to fight over trivia and insult one another. Maybe we're starting to want to go back to doing our own things on our own schedules without everyone we know looking over our shoulders. Maybe it's about time.

PSU Live Streamer
    PSN ID
    xShadow__WoIf | YoungMullah88
    Items User name style
    Facebook part = what's new tab

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk

Supreme Veteran
    Items User name style
    Quote Originally Posted by sanfordmay View Post
    Interesting that this comes at the very beginning of a console life cycle, yet Facebook has lost so-called mindshare in the youngest demographics, and is losing traction in older age groups as well. And there's a great deal of rethink going on regarding the overall value of other social media outlets and our contemporary and largely voluntary cultural abdication of privacy. Ev Williams of Blogger and Twitter fame has launched Medium, ostensibly with the notion that gatekeepers were maybe better than everyone with equal, unfettered access to pubic media. Only problem is that to a great degree Medium's collaborative gatekeeping features make everyone a gatekeeper, or cogs in one giant gatekeeping machine. I'm skeptical that's any better than everyone saying what they want, when they want.

I'm pretty sure the console makers made most of the initial overtures, but once approached the social media outlets were very willing to cooperate. The next few years are a make/break interval in social media as we know it. I'm sure they'd rather not have to reinvent themselves from the ground up to stay in business.

At least it's all in software. When gamers decide perhaps Nintendo was right all along, keeping almost everything behind a wall, in one update PS4 and XOne can unplug from the social whirl and build high fences.

You ever notice how much more fascinated a lot of press and media personalities remain with contemporary social media as a positive force than a lot of social media consumers? But they're compelled to live in public, at least in their professional lives. Many people I know have long let their Facebook pages go fallow, and are starting to think of Twitter as a place to get too little information too tersely composed, and, you know, to fight over trivia and insult one another. Maybe we're starting to want to go back to doing our own things on our own schedules without everyone we know looking over our shoulders. Maybe it's about time.
    Interesting you should mention the whole mindshare thing, my daughter has taken to instagram, "they" (the younger set) don't really use facebook anymore she said, "it's stupid". Dunno what the hell that means TBH. But I was quite intrigued by this mind shift. No idea what instagram has over it. I have not had a Facebook account for nearly a year now, has something changed on there?

Administrator
    Items Ghost in the ShellTidusLightningBruce LeeAppleUser name style
    Quote Originally Posted by mynd View Post
    Interesting you should mention the whole mindshare thing, my daughter has taken to instagram, "they" (the younger set) don't really use facebook anymore she said, "it's stupid". Dunno what the hell that means TBH. But I was quite intrigued by this mind shift. No idea what instagram has over it. I have not had a Facebook account for nearly a year now, has something changed on there?
    "Instagram is an online photo-sharing, video-sharing and social networking service that enables its users to take pictures and videos, apply digital filters to them, and share them on a variety of social networking services, such as Facebook, Twitter, Tumblr and Flickr."

Facebook owns Instagram, by the way. They bought them out a year and a half ago for 1 billion dollars.
    "The biggest adversary in our life is ourselves. We are what we are, in a sense, because of the dominating thoughts we allow to gather in our head. All concepts of self-improvement, all actions and paths we take, relate solely to our abstract image of ourselves. Life is limited only by how we really see ourselves and feel about our being. A great deal of pure self-knowledge and inner understanding allows us to lay an all-important foundation for the structure of our life from which we can perceive and take the right avenues.Ē

Supreme Veteran
    Items User name style
    Quote Originally Posted by PBM View Post
    "Instagram is an online photo-sharing, video-sharing and social networking service that enables its users to take pictures and videos, apply digital filters to them, and share them on a variety of social networking services, such as Facebook, Twitter, Tumblr and Flickr."

Facebook owns Instagram, by the way. They bought them out a year and a half ago for 1 billion dollars.
    They just use the instagram app though, no other sites. Odd

Oh and...

1 billion dollars!

Superior Member

PSN ID
    martin_blank
    Quote Originally Posted by mynd View Post
    I don't think anything much has changed, I think it's just yesterday's news and young people are often first to catch onto tomorrow's news. But I don't know for certain. I haven't used Facebook at all since around July. I left my account open because I've got it tied into a couple of other services and it would be a hassle to set them up independently. I just knocked my friend's list down to only my wife and 19-year-old daughter, so Facebook isn't constantly sending me junk mail telling me to find some friends. I completely closed my Twitter account.

If I had to speculate, though, it's partly that Facebook seemed cool and new until it wasn't. It also doesn't suit younger people like Twitter and Instagram. They've grown up exchanging so much information via texts, Twitter is a much better fit for how they communicate. And while that's accurate, that Instagram was purchased by Facebook for a whopping lot of money, Instagram got big tied more into Twitter than Facebook. The Facebook purchase of the service was an attempt to try and get something over Twitter. If Twitter is like texting, then Instagram is like sending a photo via MMS along with a short, witty caption. Again, far more suited to how young people today communicate than Facebook proper.

I don't mean to come across like a Luddite. I'm not. I've got two new game consoles preordered. I use a smartphone. Of course I use a computer. I'm not by any sort of overarching philosophy against social media like some people are against cell phones. It's my opinion that we've sort of passed the invention stage for social media and now we're in the rough adolescent years. Now we're at the part where we figure out how to use, and limit our use, of social media so that it's more valuable in our lives than it is just a distraction or a hobby or a way to make all our coworkers or classmates mad at us.

We'll get there. Right now I'm just opting out until things shakeout.

Of course Facebook is well aware they're losing adolescents and young adults, and I bet they're pretty worried about it. Kids in our culture are our tastemakers and losing those kids, that's a big problem for anyone trying for pop cultural dominance.
    Last edited by sanfordmay; 11-13-2013 at 22:31.

Thread Information