Latest PSU headlines:

Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ... 10 ... LastLast
    Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by Christopher View Post
    Of course some are real. He never said "all" were made up or imply that defects don't exist. Why the hell are you getting so bent out of shape about it? Calm down.
    Yeah, connectors can jiggle loose in shipping, solder cracks can get missed by inspection, some test HDMI cable could damage the HDMI connector during final test, there are multiple non-endemic defects that can happen.

The objection is to attempt to hype up statistical defect rates into some social media panic without substantial proof. That is like seeing somebody flick a cigarette from a car outside a movie theater and running inside, yelling "Fire, Fire, Fire!". It's just wrong, especially if the motivation is another feeble attempt to decrease PS4 sales. Didn't work, only makes a failure out of those certain people that try.
    Pacing in wait of Sony's imminent DOOM!...since 2006
    PS4 - The Only Hardcore Gaming Console = All Your Baserape Are Belong To Us

Ultimate Veteran
    Items PlayStationPS3 Slim
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    For all we know it could be a HDMI-CEC issue for all those Blue Light problems.
    I wouldn't cast the PS4 of just yet, software is silly in early form.

PS4 has little to no competition.

Superior Member
    PSN ID
    JDizzleNO1
    Items Diablo IIIMetallicaUser name styleDark Souls CoverDemons Souls CoverPS3 Fat
    im super tired and im going to be a **** here, so warning:

im getting tired as **** for all the media reporting the BIG ISSUES WITH THE PS4! IF THE ****ING FAILURE RATE WAS AT 33% LIKE THE 360...THEN IT SHOULD BE REPORTED!!!!

but it is NOT, it is at .4%, WHY IN THE **** IS EVERY INTERNET MEDIA OUTLET BLOWING THIS **** OUT OF PROPORTION?

jesus christ. what does everybody expect the launch to be perfect? NO...ITS NOT GOING TO BE! logic and common sense here people....

i bet there won't be a peep about the xbox one having issues, it'll all be perfect......

ok last statement was an exaggeration....heading to bed (maybe)

Superior Member
    PSN ID
    Flumbooze
    Items User name style
    Quote Originally Posted by JDizzleNO1 View Post

im getting tired as **** for all the media reporting the BIG ISSUES WITH THE PS4! IF THE ****ING FAILURE RATE WAS AT 33% LIKE THE 360...THEN IT SHOULD BE REPORTED!!!!

but it is NOT, it is at .4%, WHY IN THE **** IS EVERY INTERNET MEDIA OUTLET BLOWING THIS **** OUT OF PROPORTION?

jesus christ. what does everybody expect the launch to be perfect? NO...ITS NOT GOING TO BE! logic and common sense here people....

i bet there won't be a peep about the xbox one having issues, it'll all be perfect......

This is the way I would react if my PS4 broke down, only my words would be different.

Nosce te ipsum
    PSN ID
    F34RTEHR34PER
    Items BullySteamGran Turismo 5LiverpoolAppleJoker (limited ICON)Naughty DogMaster ChiefAssassins Creed EzioGears of WarHeavy RainDiablo III

That's not even really known at this point. That is an estimation based on QA. It could be higher, or lower, but it's still just an estimation that keeps being said. That's as much annoying to me as the fake defect reports.

6. Likes JDizzleNO1 likes this post
    Superior Member
    Around 1 million units have been sold right, 0.4% (if correct) is 4000 defective units.

If each of those people is posting on forums, youtube or reviews on Amazon etc it will and has got spread around like wildfire making things seem far worse than they are and people who don't see or can't be arsed to see the bigger picture will pick up on that.

That's the nature of the internet nowadays unfortunately, only the sensible minority of internet users (most of which seem to be on these forums) will dismiss it as such.

Master Poster
    PSN ID
    BreBaz
    Items One PieceOne PieceAuronPS3 FatVitaNaughty DogFinal Fantasy XPlayStation
    How many here on the forums actually have PS4? Why not make a poll about how many Ps4's have issues over here?

Dedicated Member
    PSN ID
    Kamikaze_Krunch
    Items User name style
    The percentage could even be 2% of PS4's and that is still low as hell. The time to worry is when those percentages hit 25% or more. Even at 20% you can sweat a little. I think there will be a bit more than .4%, it's electronics so there is no way it's going to be perfect.
    Last edited by Demi_God; 11-18-2013 at 13:15.

Superior Member

PSN ID
    martin_blank

40% Failure Rate Becoming News Story

With some skepticism since it all comes out of social media, but still many mainstream news outlet are reporting "alleged 40% failure rate" of the PS4. Which is funny. Sony reported launch failure rate at around .4%. If you're spreading disinformation all you have to do is move the decimal place and you have your ghastly number. The problem is, if you're a major mainstream magazine or newspaper journalist and you're very suspicious of your sources of information for a story, then why report that story at all. Fact is, for major national and international media outlets, Sony's revenue for the PS4 launch quarter, that's news. No other aspect of the PS4's launch is general interest news. Not it's features nor it's failure rate.

The games press reports on anonymous, and now deleted, intern saboteur posts from Internet forums. The mainstream press reports straight off Twitter and Amazon product reviews. And games writers on all sides wonder why gamers complain they have no acceptable source for gaming-related news.

11. Likes JDizzleNO1 likes this post
    Superior Member
    PSN ID
    Skullomainia
    Think we'd have heard a bit more, 400,000 broken ps4's should be headline news on all the front pages and 24 hr news channels eh?

13. Likes VayMasters86, JDizzleNO1 likes this post
    Superior Member
    If they're going to lie at least make it believable lol. What's next.....let me guess....X1 cures AIDS!!!!
    Mouth Pounding since 95'

Superior Member

PSN ID
    martin_blank
    Quote Originally Posted by Malt View Post
    Think we'd have heard a bit more, 400,000 broken ps4's should be headline news on all the front pages and 24 hr news channels eh?
    Yeah, that's the flaw with these stories. There are claims but no data to support those claims. It's okay to report on claims, acknowledging they are merely claims, if it's very difficult or impossible to acquire data to establish those claims. I don't think it's okay to report the stories if there should be clear and readily available data from the same source pool the claims come from, yet there is no such data and if anything contrary data. These stories aren't gaming news or consumer reporting, they're just a way to stick "PS4" in the headline and get page views. I haven't seen these failure rate stories in print dailies anywhere.

Okay, well, I'm out. Alas, I've got work to do this week. I'm sure I'll be back soon enough for the "launch XOne broke my new HDTV... and my oven" reports. For the record, my PS4 worked right out of the box and is still working and the only problem I had was a zombie wait state connecting to PSN to complete redeeming an accepted 30 day trial PS+ code. I shut down and restarted the PS4 from the front panel, went to the store and reentered the code, it was accepted again, and the confirmation process completed without a hitch. It was just a store network congestion issue, as I'd expect on launch night.

16. Likes Saigon, Malt likes this post
    Superior Member
    PSN ID
    JDizzleNO1
    Items Diablo IIIMetallicaUser name styleDark Souls CoverDemons Souls CoverPS3 Fat
    Quote Originally Posted by sanfordmay View Post
    With some skepticism since it all comes out of social media, but still many mainstream news outlet are reporting "alleged 40% failure rate" of the PS4. Which is funny. Sony reported launch failure rate at around .4%. If you're spreading disinformation all you have to do is move the decimal place and you have your ghastly number. The problem is, if you're a major mainstream magazine or newspaper journalist and you're very suspicious of your sources of information for a story, then why report that story at all. Fact is, for major national and international media outlets, Sony's revenue for the PS4 launch quarter, that's news. No other aspect of the PS4's launch is general interest news. Not it's features nor it's failure rate.

The games press reports on anonymous, and now deleted, intern saboteur posts from Internet forums. The mainstream press reports straight off Twitter and Amazon product reviews. And games writers on all sides wonder why gamers complain they have no acceptable source for gaming-related news.

thank you!
    /*****ing about this topic

Superior Member
    PSN ID
    JDizzleNO1
    Quote Originally Posted by F34R View Post
    That's not even really known at this point. That is an estimation based on QA. It could be higher, or lower, but it's still just an estimation that keeps being said. That's as much annoying to me as the fake defect reports.
    sorry for the double post!!!

anywho now that im a bit more clearheaded, you are right, but do you honestly think they're that bad? i have about 15 friends that all have ps4s and NONE of them have issues. right i know that that is a small number in comparison, but if the failure rate was "astronomical" as it seems to be reported, then at least 3 of them would have issues?

Dedicated Member
    PSN ID
    gumi42
    Quote Originally Posted by TheBreezyBB View Post
    How many here on the forums actually have PS4? Why not make a poll about how many Ps4's have issues over here?
    Well I am one of the unlucky ones, and the PS4 that I got from Amazon is DEAD. Got it on Friday, got home got it setup just fine, worked great for about 2 hours, I played AC IV with no issues whatsoever and then after I exited the game and was tooling around the menu, was gonna download Resogun, the screen flickered twice and it just shut it self down. It would then not boot back up, not even to Safe mode. Waited a few hours and tried again, it did boot into safe mode and I then re-intialized the PS4, so far so good and was able to download Resogun and played it for like two hours, exited the game and was in the menu screen and I was going to try out Killzone and then it did it again. Screen flickered and it shut itself down.
    Now I know first thought would be it has overheated, but I highly doubt it as the media stand that I use it open air, 4 levels tall, no doors, and the PS4 was on the top level (same place that housed my 60gig PS3 for over 6 years with no over heating issues).
    So I got online on Amazon and in their forums I was reading that only thing Amazon was doing was willing to offer a refund of my money and I could wait the 4-6 weeks or longer for someone else to get some stock in. So I got on the phone with Sony support at about 12:45 AM Saturday morning, luckily the was no wait and I was connected to a Service Rep. We went through the gambit of ways to try and fix it, even took out the hard drive and tried to boot it up without the drive in, alas no luck on any of the possible fixes. So Sony is sending me a coffin (box) to ship it back to them for repairs. That will take about 7-10 business days for them to fix once they get it. So I am looking at about 2.5 to 3 weeks to wait till I can get my PS4 back.
    I am sad pissed and dismayed, not a very fun weekend to say the least. It also sucks because my wife is 8 months pregnant and we are going to have our first baby in about 4 weeks, this was going to be my last chance to really get in some gaming before big big responsibilities take over my life. I am stoked to have a baby but really bummed that I won't get to really take advantage of my last few weeks to be selfish with my time.
    Hard work never killed nobody but I ain't taking any chances

Super Elite

That .4% thing is a lie. Normal electronics failure rate is 1-3%. They said the failures were .4% before all the shipped consoles had even sold. They literally couldn't have known. The failure rate isn't 33% obviously but there's simply no way they could know the true percentage defective yet.

Quote Originally Posted by gumionday View Post
    Well I am one of the unlucky ones, and the PS4 that I got from Amazon is DEAD. Got it on Friday, got home got it setup just fine, worked great for about 2 hours, I played AC IV with no issues whatsoever and then after I exited the game and was tooling around the menu, was gonna download Resogun, the screen flickered twice and it just shut it self down. It would then not boot back up, not even to Safe mode. Waited a few hours and tried again, it did boot into safe mode and I then re-intialized the PS4, so far so good and was able to download Resogun and played it for like two hours, exited the game and was in the menu screen and I was going to try out Killzone and then it did it again. Screen flickered and it shut itself down.
    Now I know first thought would be it has overheated, but I highly doubt it as the media stand that I use it open air, 4 levels tall, no doors, and the PS4 was on the top level (same place that housed my 60gig PS3 for over 6 years with no over heating issues).
    So I got online on Amazon and in their forums I was reading that only thing Amazon was doing was willing to offer a refund of my money and I could wait the 4-6 weeks or longer for someone else to get some stock in. So I got on the phone with Sony support at about 12:45 AM Saturday morning, luckily the was no wait and I was connected to a Service Rep. We went through the gambit of ways to try and fix it, even took out the hard drive and tried to boot it up without the drive in, alas no luck on any of the possible fixes. So Sony is sending me a coffin (box) to ship it back to them for repairs. That will take about 7-10 business days for them to fix once they get it. So I am looking at about 2.5 to 3 weeks to wait till I can get my PS4 back.
    I am sad pissed and dismayed, not a very fun weekend to say the least. It also sucks because my wife is 8 months pregnant and we are going to have our first baby in about 4 weeks, this was going to be my last chance to really get in some gaming before big big responsibilities take over my life. I am stoked to have a baby but really bummed that I won't get to really take advantage of my last few weeks to be selfish with my time.
    What you describe sounds like either overheating or a grounding or power supply issue. Something is wrong with your console, that much is certain.
    Last edited by Typical guy; 11-18-2013 at 17:06.

Nosce te ipsum
    PSN ID
    F34RTEHR34PER
    Items BullySteamGran Turismo 5LiverpoolAppleJoker (limited ICON)Naughty DogMaster ChiefAssassins Creed EzioGears of WarHeavy RainDiablo III
    sorry for the double post!!!

anywho now that im a bit more clearheaded, you are right, but do you honestly think they're that bad? i have about 15 friends that all have ps4s and NONE of them have issues. right i know that that is a small number in comparison, but if the failure rate was "astronomical" as it seems to be reported, then at least 3 of them would have issues?
    Yeah, I don't take it with any substance right now. It has only been out for three full days. I would give it a couple weeks at least and see where the reports are coming from, etc. It could be bad, or it could be in line with the predictions Sony has, or even lower. Who knows. It's a new system with very little quality control in an open environment with a million people using them.

Superior Member
    PSN ID
    JDizzleNO1
    Quote Originally Posted by F34R View Post
    Yeah, I don't take it with any substance right now. It has only been out for three full days. I would give it a couple weeks at least and see where the reports are coming from, etc. It could be bad, or it could be in line with the predictions Sony has, or even lower. Who knows. It's a new system with very little quality control in an open environment with a million people using them.

right, i understand the frustration of people getting DOA systems that is horrible. but i just don't see the reason why everybody seems to be panicking.....at least right now

23. Likes N0REGARD4LIFE likes this post
    Superior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Typical guy View Post
    That .4% thing is a lie. Normal electronics failure rate is 1-3%. They said the failures were .4% before all the shipped consoles had even sold. They literally couldn't have known. The failure rate isn't 33% obviously but there's simply no way they could know the true percentage defective yet.

What you describe sounds like either overheating or a grounding or power supply issue. Something is wrong with your console, that much is certain.
    The .4% statement isn't a lie, it was based on the 4,000 Taco bell early shipment and how ever many media review systems that were sent out early.

We do need a new updated number from Sony now to factor in the 1 million new units that were sold.

also according to that article that was posted Thursday about the failures, it says via Consumer Reporst that 15% is considered normal for electronics (that seems quite high to me though) and that the PS3/Wii launched with at 3% failure rate and the 360 launched with a 16% failure rate.

We'll see soon what the updated number is
    Last edited by P51-SN95; 11-18-2013 at 19:00.

Superior Member
    this post can be deleted, I accidentally quoted myself instead of editing my previous post.

Veteran
    If there were a 1% defect rate, Neogaf would have exploded and there would have been screaming and crying to high heaven.

HAS NOT HAPPENED.

In fact, the thread for failure reports is 11 pages and the launch unit thread is over 200 pages of mostly praising or being amazed with the PS4.

There are a few units failing. Most sound like the hard drive connector coming loose through shipping or some HDMI cable issue. Power supplies can just die.

The anti-Sony camp has failed in trying to promote this as disastrous FUD, and they have failed because their false claims are failing to materialize.

At least we can finally see next week if the rumors about the eSRAM cooking a spot on the XBone APU die have any validity.
    Pacing in wait of Sony's imminent DOOM!...since 2006
    PS4 - The Only Hardcore Gaming Console = All Your Baserape Are Belong To Us

27. Likes Saigon likes this post
    Super Moderator
    PSN ID
    admartian
    Items ArsenalVitaUser name styleSteamPS3 Slim
    Quote Originally Posted by Bligmerk View Post
    If there were a 1% defect rate, Neogaf would have exploded and there would have been screaming and crying to high heaven.

HAS NOT HAPPENED.

In fact, the thread for failure reports is 11 pages and the launch unit thread is over 200 pages of mostly praising or being amazed with the PS4.

There are a few units failing. Most sound like the hard drive connector coming loose through shipping or some HDMI cable issue. Power supplies can just die.

The anti-Sony camp has failed in trying to promote this as disastrous FUD, and they have failed because their false claims are failing to materialize.

At least we can finally see next week if the rumors about the eSRAM cooking a spot on the XBone APU die have any validity.
    I think they've been slightly successful - as in it's being reported in sites etc. Yesterday a friend asked me (and sent me a a Mashable article on PS4 HW "issues") if I'm worried.

I lol'd and said "0.4% bro" and there's no such thing as 100% no fault device/machine/product.

That's besides the point - the FUD is there for people who are misled by sites misreporting it and/or only read headlines

Power Member
    Items User name style
    10 pages of people saying don't panic.

2play:Red Dead, GTA 4,Batman AC,Batman AO,Borderlands 2,Skyrim,Sleeping Dogs,Reckoning,Dead Island, DarkSiders 2,Dark Souls,Dead Space 2,MGS 3,MGS:PW, XCOM:EU,Hitman Absolution,Biosuck Infinite,Assassins Creed 3,Deus Ex,Castlevania, Halo Wars,Civilization,Forza Horizon,Black Ops,Black Ops 2,MW3,LA Noire,Crackdown,Dead Rising 2,Fallout 3, Fallout:NV,RE 4, Bully, Hitman HD collecton.

30. Likes Malt likes this post
    Apprentice
    PSN ID
    N0REGARD4LIFE
    Items PlayStationDiceBattlefield 3
    If you got a working one, play the **** out of it before the return policy is up. Mine has worked flawlessly in the close to 30 hours I've played it thank god, but I'm gonna push this ***** HARD and see if it gives up the ghost.

Veteran
    PSN ID
    saigon1914
    Quote Originally Posted by admartian View Post
    I think they've been slightly successful - as in it's being reported in sites etc. Yesterday a friend asked me (and sent me a a Mashable article on PS4 HW "issues") if I'm worried.

I lol'd and said "0.4% bro" and there's no such thing as 100% no fault device/machine/product.

That's besides the point - the FUD is there for people who are misled by sites misreporting it and/or only read headlines
    Yeah but on top of that do you realize how many individuals are making these claims, and somehow some way each of the claims are similar. Meaning the issue is recorded on the internet very similar and place through out the internet on the various sites. Its like someone is copying and pasting the same content on every major and minor site. If I am not mistaken, we even have one of the complaints in this same thread from someone.

The other day I was looking at Sony's forums because they made a thread regarding how to fix the issues and I noticed something very odd or maybe it was just me. Most of the users complaining, recently created their accounts on 11/15/2013. Very odd if you ask me. I think there are a few players out there, I mean trolls that are spreading FUD. I also like how most people are taking the Amazon thing as fact when most people should know, that any one can be a certified buyer or whatever it is called on Amazon without actually purchasing anything. Its a glitch that Amazon needs to fix.

I panicked earlier before I received the console, but with my extra warranty, I really do not care. If it is true and I happen to the bastard that has a console with issues, you won't see me on the internet complaining. I will be trying to figure out how to get a replacement or fixing the problem.
    Last edited by Saigon; 11-18-2013 at 20:50.

Thread Information