Apprentice
    PSN ID
    Boboulus

Question Mics that work with 3,5 connector?

Hi!

Im very curious to know what mics will work thrue the 3.5 connector on thw DS4. Anybody tried different brands yet to see if they work?

Does iOS device mics work?

Would really be happy if someone could try.

Veteran
    The PS Vita headset, my Audeo Phonaks and my Meelecs work. Wish my audio thru my damn TV would....

(Edit) Well, got the audio sorted. Turns out my TV has a shoddy HDMI port. XD
    Last edited by faaeng; 11-15-2013 at 06:49.
    PCs are very much like Air Conditioners.
    They both become utterly useless once you start to open up Windows....
    ----------------------------------------------

Apprentice
    PSN ID
    Boboulus
    Cool thanks! Is it just the audio that works or also the mic on the cable?

For what device are the other brands made for? Samsung or Apple or something else?

Veteran
    Audio for now. I'll let u know about chat if and whenever I'm able to log in. XD

The headphones are just standard and or smartphone headphones aside from the vita ones.
    Last edited by faaeng; 11-15-2013 at 07:19.
    PCs are very much like Air Conditioners.
    They both become utterly useless once you start to open up Windows....
    ----------------------------------------------

Superior Member

PSN ID
    martin_blank
    Quote Originally Posted by Boboulus View Post
    Cool thanks! Is it just the audio that works or also the mic on the cable?

For what device are the other brands made for? Samsung or Apple or something else?
    Any headphones with a 3.5mm male connector or adapted to 3.5mm male should work for game audio. Just like there are iPhone-compatible mic + remote headphones but any 3.5mm male headphones will work with an iPhone for audio playback. It's a standard connector type.

The mic compatibility will probably vary. Like Apple headphones have a nonstandard, proprietary 3.5mm male connector with an extra contact for headphone type detection on their headphones, matched with proprietary iPhone headphones jacks . So third-party iPhone-compatible headset mics work with all iPhones but only some Android phones. They mostly work with Samsung phones, which is why Apple started a patent fight with Samsung over headphone jacks.

Sony tossed a mono chat headset into the launch console boxes to bridge the gap until the firmware update that enables most legacy gaming headphones. Although that doesn't do you much good if you're trying to do game audio AND chat via the controller headphone jack. Still, I don't know that game audio + chat via the controller headphone jack will work with any headphones until the firmware update with headphone compatibility stuff in it, or even then. I'm using PS3 settings as a guide here because my PS4 won't be delivered until later today, but it may be that you set chat audio output to the controller it precludes setting game audio output to the controller. I don't know it yet supports, or is ever intended to support, mixing chat audio and game audio to the controller headphone jack.

Apprentice
    PSN ID
    Boboulus
    Well I'm just curious to know if the mic will work if it's made for iOS devices. I don't care about the game audio just the chat.

If you get your PS4 later please try if the mic works

Superior Member

PSN ID
    martin_blank
    Well I'm just curious to know if the mic will work if it's made for iOS devices. I don't care about the game audio just the chat.

If you get your PS4 later please try if the mic works
    Not mine. The extra contact messes up the mic contact, so while the provided Sony chat headset works fine, the mic on the iPhone-compatible headphones does not work. This may be dependent on the type of headphones, so some may work, but some certainly don't I wish it did because you can mix chat and game audio output to the controller headphone jack, so unless you're dying for simulated surround sound, a good pair of iPhone headphones with mic would be all you need.

I should add, not ONE pair, with a mic and full remote. I have a pair of Monsters with a mic but only an iPhone talk/play/pause/Siri functioning button, no volume control on the remote. I should try that pair. Maybe I'll go do that now.

Superior Member

PSN ID
    martin_blank
    I was wrong. The iPhone-compatible Monsters worked so I tried the other headphones that didn't work last night. Turns out they BOTH work. So all my iPhone-compatible headphones, the mic works with the PS4. I was really tired last night and I guess I just didn't have the headphone connector seated all the way in the DS4 controller headphone jack. I thought I checked but I probably didn't check very well.

Apprentice
    PSN ID
    Boboulus
    Wow then thats really good news!!!

Can you turn of the game audio when you have it connected so you only use the inline mic?

Superior Member

PSN ID
    martin_blank
    Wow then thats really good news!!!

Can you turn of the game audio when you have it connected so you only use the inline mic?
    The choice for audio output to controller are chat only or all. Chat only you have to use the headset to hear people talk. The all setting mixes chat and game audio. You have to have a headset plugged into the controller to change the settings. And unplugging the headset from the controller while playing automatically switches to the audio back to your AV receiver or TV or whatever.

Thread Information