Finally You Are Free
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!

Space Engineers - The Space Game We've All Wanted

Has anyone looked into this game? I figured it was another cheap indie title by it's first appearance, but no, it's pretty amazing actually. You survive and mine resources in space, building your ships and traveling around. Currently it's in alpha, but the development is very promising. Already you can build ships of massive, epic sizes. Everything is destructible, and fighting AI and other players is planned. As I said, the development is very impressive. You can see dev videos here.

I'm really pumped for this title (can't you tell?). I love games where you create, destroy, and survive. For me, this may be the next Minecraft.

El Presidente
    I looked at this last week on Steam. Thought it was an interesting idea but of course you need friends to help you. I couldn't rely on meeting people in Minecraft because they would stab me in the back and take my stuff.

I too like games where you create and destroy so it sounds cool. Who doesn't want to build their own spaceship?

Focus. Control. Conviction. Resolve. A true ace lacks none of these attributes. Nothing can deter you from the task at hand except your own fears. This is your sky.

Finally You Are Free
    I really like this style for spaceships. Currently I'm working on an 'aircraft carrier' style battle container. I like the idea of fitting ships into or onto other ships in an organized manner. As well, for combat I like the idea of ramming or grabbing the enemies ship to cause damage. I could see someone making a larger ship grip a smaller smaller ship and ramming it into an asteroid, or simply hitting and crushing it.

Quote Originally Posted by podsaurus View Post
    I too like games where you create and destroy so it sounds cool. Who doesn't want to build their own spaceship?
    Someone who never had a proper childhood.

El Presidente
    Are there a lot of pieces that go into making these ships? As in is the hull made up of a few large pieces or do you have a lot of smaller pieces like with a Lego set? I'd be afraid of it getting tedious with lots of small pieces.

Supreme Veteran
    Items Gran Turismo 5Michelle MarshDoomid SoftwareCommodore 64Metal Gear Solid
    Reminded me of moonbase alpha which is really, really boring.

http://www.nasa.gov/offices/educatio...pha/index.html

El Presidente
    I think this would be a much better game because you're actually building something. Moonbase alpha you just...jumped around and stuff. There wasn't anything to do.

Finally You Are Free
    Quote Originally Posted by podsaurus View Post
    Are there a lot of pieces that go into making these ships? As in is the hull made up of a few large pieces or do you have a lot of smaller pieces like with a Lego set? I'd be afraid of it getting tedious with lots of small pieces.
    The bigger ships can have hundreds or even thousands of blocks, but these blocks are currently all the same size (roughly). But it's well enough to work with right now. Smaller ships use smaller blocks (being 1/125th the mass and volume).

Quote Originally Posted by keefy View Post
    Reminded me of moonbase alpha which is really, really boring.

http://www.nasa.gov/offices/educatio...pha/index.html
    The resemblance is there. It's just that Space Engineers is meant to be a creative survival space game, not an educational one. Totally different gameplay styles. AEIOU

Elite Sage
    Sounds quite fun. Might look into this as I enjoy multiplayer games like this.

Finally You Are Free
    If you are interested, then I do recommend waiting for multiplayer to be added. Currently it's just single-player with a creative mode, though that seems to be changing soon as they've been adding survival elements with updates (inventory and items came a few days ago). I think the game is very promising and holds a lot of potential.

Speaking of, this is an excellent chance to show off the ship I just finished!

It's surprisingly heavy. Its mass comes in at about 2.7 million kg. Reactors generate about 9 gigawatts of energy, so despite its weight it can attain high acceleration. It's bay can hold 8-10 small fighters, which can be deployed to secure a sector. It's developed to be a police ship, so it would fair poorly against military vessels. It's mostly for securing areas against raiders and such, and the turrets atop its hold is for defense. It doesn't handle impacts very well due to its thin plating.
    Last edited by Nerevar; 11-20-2013 at 12:36.

Thread Information