Latest PSU headlines:

PSN ID
    DaGrandMastah

How exactly do the games download? Something doesn't seem right.

I'm confused. I went to the downloads section and it shows that a game finished downloading...but that's impossible because Killzone is 39 gb and my connection isn't fast enough to download the game in 1/2 hour. So I go into data management to see how much space each game is taking up and I see that they're still downloading. The data being I still have close to 30 bb's left. Does anyone know what the downloads section under notifications is supposed to be for?

Ultimate Veteran
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    it down loads while u play.

Forum Guru
    Im assuming it has downloaded part of the game. Enough that you can jump in and start playing while the rest downloads in the background.

Sent from my One using Tapatalk
    PCs are very much like Air Conditioners.
    They both become utterly useless once you start to open up Windows....
    ----------------------------------------------

Superior Member

PSN ID
    martin_blank
    yeah it was downloading an update and installing at the same time, and gave me the option to start the game but no network play if I skipped the update, update finished, it continue installing off disc but I started the game, went straight to multiplayer to make sure the ps+ services shared properly and I had to wait a couple minutes for multiplayer to install. it may be dynamic. it may start installing everything but if you try to jump to one specific mode it changes the install data priority for what you want to play. it's really pretty cool.

PSU Editor-in-chief
    PSN ID
    geist226
    Items User name styleFull Metal AlchemistYunaGuerrilla GamesNaughty DogDaft PunkDeus Ex HR AdamAtlusFinal Fantasy X
    Yep, it's an awesome system. The first time I put in my Killzone disc, it installed for about one minute: a portion that's enough to start the game while the rest installs in the background.

It's a really elegant thing, evidenced by the fact that none of us seem to understand exactly how it works Very sophisticated, all in the background.

PSU Trophy Manager
    PSN ID
    Faenix1
    Items Final Fantasy X-2Final Fantasy XIIFangNoctisLightningFinal Fantasy Versus XIIIFinal Fantasy XIII-2Final Fantasy XIIINaughty DogFinal Fantasy XFinal Fantasy VIIPS3 Slim
    Quote Originally Posted by KyleOnTheRun View Post
    Yep, it's an awesome system. The first time I put in my Killzone disc, it installed for about one minute: a portion that's enough to start the game while the rest installs in the background.

It's a really elegant thing, evidenced by the fact that none of us seem to understand exactly how it works Very sophisticated, all in the background.
    What throws you off is the fact it says you installed 39GB in the system management menu. Quitting after the first mission or two doesnt hurt nothing right? I was getting way too into that and I had to get off.

Sig&Av by Kuro

Summoning (Destiny of) spirits as I venture back into (FFX) Spira. With a bit of "Catching 'em All!" on the side.

PS4 Preorders: WatchDogsWitcher3DyingLight

PSN
    , XBL, Steam: Faenix1 - 3DS Friend Code: 3883-6299-4363
    Phat PS3: February 2008 - June 1st, 2011, Slim PS3: June 3rd 2011 - Present
    PS4, 3DSxl: November 2013 - Present
    PSVita December 2013 - Present

Apprentice
    PSN ID
    felix336
    So is there a way to pause downloads? All I get is "delete" when I hit options. Not really sure why it isn't there/so hard to figure out.

Super Moderator
    PSN ID
    lsutigers19
    Items Final Fantasy XIIIFinal Fantasy XCall of Duty: Black OPSDragon Ball ZPS3 SlimGoogle Chrome
    Not that I know of. Very stupid thing to over look. Also there is no option to disable automatic game updates. Only the system updates. But I'm confused on what happens if you turn the system off before it's done installing. There is no way no way to know if it is done or not.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

Currently Playing: ​ Skyrim
    Currently Waiting For: ​​ ​Beyond: Two Souls

Superior Member
    PSN ID
    TEST SUBJECT 83
    Quote Originally Posted by Felix336 View Post
    So is there a way to pause downloads? All I get is "delete" when I hit options. Not really sure why it isn't there/so hard to figure out.
    hit X on the one you want to pause, or click another to start that one and pause the other.

Superior Member
    PSN ID
    TEST SUBJECT 83

This is why I was was laughing when everyone was freaking out about the lack of HD space.
    With background downloads you dont' have to worry about un-installing and re-installing a game.

11. Likes sanfordmay wishes they had posted this first.
    Apprentice
    PSN ID
    felix336
    Quote Originally Posted by TEST SUBJECT 83 View Post
    hit X on the one you want to pause, or click another to start that one and pause the other.
    Hmm, doesn't seen to be doing anything for me.

Superior Member
    PSN ID
    TEST SUBJECT 83
    Quote Originally Posted by Felix336 View Post
    Hmm, doesn't seen to be doing anything for me.
    Sorry I was wrong about hit x to stop.
    But clicking another download will pause the one thats currently downloading and start the one you clicked.

Apprentice
    PSN ID
    felix336
    Sorry I was wrong about hit x to stop.
    But clicking another download will pause the one thats currently downloading and start the one you clicked.
    Yeah that didn't work either. I don't know maybe there's something wrong with mine, guess I'll just do it one by one for now.

Super Moderator
    PSN ID
    lsutigers19
    Items Final Fantasy XIIIFinal Fantasy XCall of Duty: Black OPSDragon Ball ZPS3 SlimGoogle Chrome
    Pressing X didn't do anything for me. I've been looking around the net and no one has figured out how to do it. Pretty sure the option just isn't there. That and the ability to keep game patches from automatically. I do like the way they don't kick you off PSN if you cancel the patch. You just can't play MP for that game until you patch. Now all they need is the option to allow you to verify if you want to install.

For me it's a data cap issue but not to mention some patches can break a game worse than what they already are and don't want to install those.
    Last edited by PS4freak; 11-16-2013 at 05:21.

PSN ID
    DaGrandMastah
    Oh ok. Damn...i didn't realize what the hell was going on. I started trying to play a game and it knocked me back to the home screen so I stopped....confused me there for a minute...didn't know if my data was corrupted. I guess that makes sense then. Thanks for clearing it up. This system is awesome.

Nosce te ipsum
    PSN ID
    F34RTEHR34PER
    Items BullySteamGran Turismo 5LiverpoolAppleJoker (limited ICON)Naughty DogMaster ChiefAssassins Creed EzioGears of WarHeavy RainDiablo III
    Quote Originally Posted by PS4freak View Post
    Pressing X didn't do anything for me. I've been looking around the net and no one has figured out how to do it. Pretty sure the option just isn't there. That and the ability to keep game patches from automatically. I do like the way they don't kick you off PSN if you cancel the patch. You just can't play MP for that game until you patch. Now all they need is the option to allow you to verify if you want to install.

For me it's a data cap issue but not to mention some patches can break a game worse than what they already are and don't want to install those.
    Don't sign in automatically. Only sign in when you want it to use the network.

It is kinda weird at the way they've done a few things.

Remember the Xbox One thread about getting kicked from a game while it's downloading/installing and such. Well, that happens on the PS4 for sure.

Superior Member

PSN ID
    martin_blank
    Quote Originally Posted by F34R View Post
    Don't sign in automatically. Only sign in when you want it to use the network.

It is kinda weird at the way they've done a few things.

Remember the Xbox One thread about getting kicked from a game while it's downloading/installing and such. Well, that happens on the PS4 for sure.
    I think it's supposed to be totally transparent but in trade for total transparence you give away at least some control and in certain cases a lot. I really like the suspend mode because I had a huge amount of stuff downloading and I just suspended the PS4 and went to bed and it's done this morning. If I had a data cap I wouldn't be too fond of the suspend mode.

You guys are looking at the downloads panel under notifications, right? There's a much more traditional list of downloads there. Though I didn't see an option to stop them. And the way it does notifications is a little weird. Some things I got a notice they were ready to install while they were still downloading. I assume this means they had downloaded enough to install and play although there was still more game to download and thus the ongoing download.

Oh, and I thought Resogun might have local co-op so both my son and I signed in to play, I started the game, no local co-op, so he wanted to play so I signed out. It wouldn't let him play. He signed out and back in, went to start Resogun, it told him I, who had already signed out, was running the game and the game would have to quit and he would have to start it. Which he did and it worked fine, but why does it leave a running process owned by a signed out account, or leave it running at all if you sign out?
    Last edited by sanfordmay; 11-16-2013 at 12:45.

PSU Editor-in-chief
    PSN ID
    geist226
    Items User name styleFull Metal AlchemistYunaGuerrilla GamesNaughty DogDaft PunkDeus Ex HR AdamAtlusFinal Fantasy X
    Quote Originally Posted by PS4freak View Post
    Not that I know of. Very stupid thing to over look. Also there is no option to disable automatic game updates. Only the system updates. But I'm confused on what happens if you turn the system off before it's done installing. There is no way no way to know if it is done or not.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk
    I'm positive I saw an option to turn off Automatic Game Updates under Settings. My GF is playing Contrast now so I can't double-check, but it's there.

Nosce te ipsum
    PSN ID
    F34RTEHR34PER
    Items BullySteamGran Turismo 5LiverpoolAppleJoker (limited ICON)Naughty DogMaster ChiefAssassins Creed EzioGears of WarHeavy RainDiablo III
    I'm positive I saw an option to turn off Automatic Game Updates under Settings. My GF is playing Contrast now so I can't double-check, but it's there.
    Settings > System > Automatic Downloads and Uploads

Super Moderator
    PSN ID
    lsutigers19
    Quote Originally Posted by F34R View Post
    Settings > System > Automatic Downloads and Uploads
    For some reason it only stops firmware from automatic updates. Any time KZ has an update it starts as soon as I start the game and I have them turned off.

Forum Guru
    PSN ID
    markiemark901
    Quote Originally Posted by DaGrandMastah View Post
    I'm confused. I went to the downloads section and it shows that a game finished downloading...but that's impossible because Killzone is 39 gb and my connection isn't fast enough to download the game in 1/2 hour. So I go into data management to see how much space each game is taking up and I see that they're still downloading. The data being I still have close to 30 bb's left. Does anyone know what the downloads section under notifications is supposed to be for?
    it allows u to play a bit of the game while it downloads. for instance, downloading cod ghosts when I clicked download it asked which I would like to play: campaign or multiplayer.
    fucking great idea man so convenient

moving on Tapatalk

Currently Playing: COD Ghosts, Battlefield 4, Assassins Creed 4

Thread Information