Results 1 to 15 of 15
  1. #1
    Superior Member

    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Texas
    PSN ID
    martin_blank
    Posts
    617
    Rep Power
    18
    Points
    8,484 (0 Banked)

    Sub-Accounts On PS4

    I've been playing with a PSN sub-account for years. I used it to change my PSN ID. If you're an adult playing with a sub-account you might want to bite the bullet now, change your Call of Duty account link to the new account if you're a COD player, etc. It'll be harder to do later. There's a whole lot more stuff you can't use with a sub-account on PS4, you can't subscribe a sub-account to PS+ so you if you're using the same sub on a Vita you can't get PS+ on the Vita, etc. And they haven't let up on the restrictions on sub-accounts at all. I really, really didn't want to change but messing around for a couple hours I knew I had to. I switched back to the sub's master. It dates back to pre-trophy days. So I am a PSN level 1, no trophies. None whatsoever. Zeroes across the board.

    Anyway, if all the various sharing and subscription PS4 services matter to you at all, think about switching to a master account now before you've got a bunch of PS4 game trophies and you're ranked up through the roof in COD Ghosts or whatever online multiplayer chaos is your pleasure.

  2. #2
    Apprentice

    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    PSN ID
    bat0nas_LT
    Posts
    245
    Rep Power
    12
    Points
    3,066 (0 Banked)
    Thanks for sharing this!

  3. #3
    Apprentice
    vinny_pizza79's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Patchogue, NY
    PSN ID
    vinny_pizza79
    Posts
    343
    Rep Power
    13
    Points
    3,855 (0 Banked)
    So wait, my son's account is a sub-account and he already has ps+ from the ps3. Are you saying this doesn't carry to the ps4? I am having trouble showing his sub account as an option to log in when you power on. If I click on guest and then yes to PSN log in I can get to his account, but it won't stay on the initial power up screen as a selection. Am I missing something? Heading to bed now, but in the AM I need to sign in as him to check the ps+ deal.

    Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk

  4. #4
    Superior Member

    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Texas
    PSN ID
    martin_blank
    Posts
    617
    Rep Power
    18
    Points
    8,484 (0 Banked)
    Are you talking about an actual sub-account or just an additional account on the PS3 set up after the first account? Because sub-accounts can't subscribe to PS+, period, on the PS3, either, so if he's got a sub-account ... Aha. I found it. Sub-accounts aren't supposed to be able to subscribe to PS+ but they can if both master and sub are under the same name -- real name, not PSN ID -- and address. Presumably you used the same address. If the master is under Vinny Pizza and the sub is under Vinny Pizza, at the same address, then the sub-account can subscribe to PS+. I suppose in recognition that the sub-account is the same person as the master, or fully under the control of the master, because otherwise you couldn't give your kids their own PS+ subscriptions so they can directly download free PS+ games, use cloud storage, etc. If you had created the sub under the real name Little Jimmy Pizza, you would have hit a wall trying to subscribe it to PS+. If you change the real name to something different than the master when the PS4 give you a chance to do this, it might not let him, or you in his behalf, renew his PS+ subscription when it comes due.

    I think the problem you're having is an easy fix and has nothing to do with sub-accounts. Guest accounts delete all account data and the account itself when you log out of the PS4. You have to set up his sub-account through the other option, don't select guest. Guest is for using someone's else's PS4, your account automatically deletes when you log out instead of having to remember to delete your account like with the PS3, potentially risking a less than friendly friend could login to your account and buy things with it, or pull pranks or whatever. I know that in the login screen sub-accounts will only show by PSN ID, not real name, no matter how you set the privacy settings. Master accounts show your real name on the login screen and everywhere in the PS4 user interface but, unless you specifically set it to use your real name with friends, shows your PSN ID to the world, however sub-accounts it only shows the PSN ID, even locally.

  5. #5
    Apprentice
    vinny_pizza79's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Patchogue, NY
    PSN ID
    vinny_pizza79
    Posts
    343
    Rep Power
    13
    Points
    3,855 (0 Banked)
    Hmm, I'll double check but my son has his own PSN ID and when I did log in as him, under account info it has his real name, not mine. We just got his ps+ added since he has a vita as well and downloads games for that. But, we redeemed the code via his Vita if that matters. I'll check it out today when I get back on.

    Thanks again for the guest info, so stupid since i remember now that it deletes guest info.

    Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk

  6. #6
    Apprentice
    Smokin Joker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Dayton, OH
    PSN ID
    SmoknJokr
    Age
    44
    Posts
    416
    Rep Power
    49
    Points
    3,102 (0 Banked)
    Both of my children have a sub accounts with their own correct info on ps3 and vita. Both had their own ps+ subscription. So that info on Ps+ not being able to be subscribed to by sub accounts on ps3 or vita is wrong. Only info that was shared was address. Maybe that is the caveat.

    I believe that I read somewhere that only 1 ps+ subscription will be required per ps4 for online play for all. However I don't know how this transitions to the vita... As there are 3 in this house and soon will be 3 ps4. Then what am I to do? Your post raises some questions for me too. Guess sub accounts are a bad idea from here on out...

    Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Smokin Joker; 11-16-2013 at 16:18.

    Thanks to Spyrde for the sig/avy


  7. Likes Pashta likes this post
  8. #7
    Superior Member

    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Texas
    PSN ID
    martin_blank
    Posts
    617
    Rep Power
    18
    Points
    8,484 (0 Banked)
    Quote Originally Posted by Smokin Joker View Post
    Both of my children have a sub accounts with their own correct info on ps3 and vita. Both had their own ps+ subscription. So that info on Ps+ not being able to be subscribed to by sub accounts on ps3 or vita is wrong. Only info that was shared was address. Maybe that is the caveat.

    I believe that I read somewhere that only 1 ps+ subscription will be required per ps4 for online play for all. However I don't know how this transitions to the vita... As there are 3 in this house and soon will be 3 ps4. Then what am I to do? Your post raises some questions for me too. Guess sub accounts are a bad idea from here on out...

    Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk
    Okay, yeah, maybe it's the address. Maybe it's nothing and Sony's FAQ on it is wrong or outdated.

    I tested and 1 PS+ subscription on an account that has the PS4 set as the primary console, online play with another account works fine.

    Only one PS4 can be an account's primary so I think master accounts or sub-accounts, you're going to need one PS+ subscription per PS4. You may be able to share online play if you're logged in on another PS4, but you have to be logged in, and you only get 2 concurrent logins, and 1 of those has to be the one you set as primary. Based on my experience, Vita shouldn't be a problem for PS+ activations. When I switched back to my master account, the one that is now subscribed to PS+, I had my PS3 and my kids' PS3 activated on it. You're only allowed two device activations for purchased game content and PS+ game content. I wasn't worried about the PS4. Sony has already stated that one PS4 activation as primary console won't count against your PS3 activation limit. But I also switched my Vita to the master account and the Vita is supposedly covered under the device limit. I figured I'd have to deactivate my master account on my PS3, leave it activated on the kids' PS3, to be able to activate the Vita on that account and use PS+ with it. I was just going to activate and deactivate as necessary on my PS3. Inconvenient, but I'll obviously be playing it a lot less now with the PS4 here. I activated my master account on my Vita with PS+ shared, no problem -- it recognized me as PS+, I downloaded free PS+ Vita games from the store, etc. Then it dawned on me. There's no reason for Sony to count a Vita as a content-sharing activation since you can only have one account on a Vita, anyway. There's no way to share game content or PS+ content on a Vita with other accounts since there can be no other accounts on a Vita.

    But, yeah, I think master accounts are the way to go. Subs are too restricted. You can't use sharing at all, period, no way, through any service. It's not just Facebook that's restricted.
    Last edited by sanfordmay; 11-16-2013 at 17:17.

  9. #8
    Dedicated Member
    victorijapoosp's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    1,297
    Rep Power
    48
    Points
    14,447 (0 Banked)
    Items User name style
    http://www.joystiq.com/2013/11/12/ps...ster-accounts/

    You can upgrade sub accounts to master/adult accounts very soon. It was confirmed by Yoshida.
    Maths is biased! It keeps telling me the PS4 is 50% more powerful than XboxOne!
    Great song, should have more views :'(

    SHIMAASAAAANIIII!!!!!
    http://i.imgur.com/bP50xuM.png

  10. #9
    Apprentice
    Topov81's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Age
    37
    Posts
    344
    Rep Power
    60
    Points
    41 (0 Banked)
    Quote Originally Posted by victorijapoosp View Post
    http://www.joystiq.com/2013/11/12/ps...ster-accounts/

    You can upgrade sub accounts to master/adult accounts very soon. It was confirmed by Yoshida.
    Awesome news, thanks for posting.

    Sent from my HTC Desire S using Tapatalk 2

  11. #10
    Apprentice
    vinny_pizza79's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Patchogue, NY
    PSN ID
    vinny_pizza79
    Posts
    343
    Rep Power
    13
    Points
    3,855 (0 Banked)
    Ok, I got my son's sub account saved to the login screen, my own stupidity. But yes, the ps+ is there for him as well even with his info on the account. Either way, good news to hear about the ability to move sub accounts to master for those of you who need it.

    Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk

  12. #11
    Superior Member

    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Texas
    PSN ID
    martin_blank
    Posts
    617
    Rep Power
    18
    Points
    8,484 (0 Banked)
    Quote Originally Posted by vinny_pizza79 View Post
    Ok, I got my son's sub account saved to the login screen, my own stupidity. But yes, the ps+ is there for him as well even with his info on the account. Either way, good news to hear about the ability to move sub accounts to master for those of you who need it.

    Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk
    Yeah I'd heard something about the sub to master upgrade, but I didn't know it was confirmed -- nice to know. It makes sense, considering how many people started on PS3 as kids are now adults, and will start on PS4 as kids and become adults. Still, for me, unless it's like "you can upgrade subs to master accounts this Wednesday," I didn't want to wait. My kids are all excited about the sharing features and with my sub account I can't do anything with sharing. Losing all the trophies doesn't bother me. I used to review games and either trophies wouldn't unlock for advance copies, or more often they'd unlock locally prerelease but never update to the PSN. In fact I think Enslaved is the only prerelease review I did I earned a bunch of trophies for the game and all or most of them did suddenly show up on PSN on the game's retail release day. XBL achievements, it's the same way, you don't wind up with credit for them under your gamertag. I've played a lot of games all the way through with a lot of trophies and achievements I unlocked and no one will ever know I unlocked them.

    But I understand why people don't want to lose that record. In fact I considered doing it before I got my PS4 but decided I really didn't want to change to another account. Only when I saw how limited I'd be using a sub, I thought, Oh I don't care THAT much, so I made the change.

    It was worth it just to watch my oldest son laugh at my new and definitely unimproved trophy count.

  13. #12
    Newbie

    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    PSN ID
    random-_-_-hero
    Posts
    1
    Rep Power
    0
    Points
    119 (0 Banked)
    Quote Originally Posted by sanfordmay View Post
    Yeah I'd heard something about the sub to master upgrade, but I didn't know it was confirmed -- nice to know. It makes sense, considering how many people started on PS3 as kids are now adults, and will start on PS4 as kids and become adults. Still, for me, unless it's like "you can upgrade subs to master accounts this Wednesday," I didn't want to wait. My kids are all excited about the sharing features and with my sub account I can't do anything with sharing. Losing all the trophies doesn't bother me. I used to review games and either trophies wouldn't unlock for advance copies, or more often they'd unlock locally prerelease but never update to the PSN. In fact I think Enslaved is the only prerelease review I did I earned a bunch of trophies for the game and all or most of them did suddenly show up on PSN on the game's retail release day. XBL achievements, it's the same way, you don't wind up with credit for them under your gamertag. I've played a lot of games all the way through with a lot of trophies and achievements I unlocked and no one will ever know I unlocked them.

    But I understand why people don't want to lose that record. In fact I considered doing it before I got my PS4 but decided I really didn't want to change to another account. Only when I saw how limited I'd be using a sub, I thought, Oh I don't care THAT much, so I made the change.

    It was worth it just to watch my oldest son laugh at my new and definitely unimproved trophy count.
    Hey Sanformay, I noticed you know a lot about the PS4, and was wondering if you could help me. Basically on my PS3 I was a sub account. I bought COD: Ghosts, and redeemed my code on that account. I went on the PS4 yesterday, made a new master account (because I had to) and then made a new user, with my old account. I went on the store, went to the digital copy of COD: Ghosts, and clicked confirm purchase (costs $9.99) and it told me the master account doesn't have enough funds, even though there is $10 in it. Any clue why it's saying this?

  14. #13
    Newbie

    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    PSN ID
    Pashta
    Posts
    2
    Rep Power
    0
    Points
    372 (0 Banked)
    Quote Originally Posted by sanfordmay View Post
    There's a whole lot more stuff you can't use with a sub-account on PS4, you can't subscribe a sub-account to PS+ so you if you're using the same sub on a Vita you can't get PS+ on the Vita.
    This is absolutely untrue! I have two kids that are sub-accounts and BOTH of them have Vitas AND their own PS+! And no, it's not new. The older one has had his for over a year.

  15. #14
    Newbie

    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    PSN ID
    Pashta
    Posts
    2
    Rep Power
    0
    Points
    372 (0 Banked)
    Quote Originally Posted by victorijapoosp View Post
    http://www.joystiq.com/2013/11/12/ps...ster-accounts/

    You can upgrade sub accounts to master/adult accounts very soon. It was confirmed by Yoshida.
    That isn't true, either. There is NO upgrade available and no plans to do so.

  16. #15
    Apprentice

    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    PSN ID
    bat0nas_LT
    Posts
    245
    Rep Power
    12
    Points
    3,066 (0 Banked)
    So whats the point of subaccounts if they cant be upgraded?

    Once got old the kid must create a new psn account and lose his trophie statistics?


    That subaccount stuff is so confusing. It is easier to understand child accounts in xbl.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
vBCredits II Deluxe v2.1.0 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2010-2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.