Page 1 of 3 1 ... LastLast

PSN ID
    OhhPaigey

Has anybody actually figured out what the difference is between your profile picture (the picture you choose from Facebook) vs your avatar? Where do they show up, ect? I'm not seeing any changes at all. :/

Legend
    PSN ID
    F34RTEHR34PER
    Items BullySteamGran Turismo 5LiverpoolAppleJoker (limited ICON)Naughty DogMaster ChiefAssassins Creed EzioGears of WarHeavy RainDiablo III
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Avatar shows in your posts, profile pic shows in your profile:

Profile Pic

Check your profile:
    http://www.psu.com/forums/member.php/312901-OhhPaigey
    Last edited by F34R; 11-17-2013 at 03:54.

Apprentice

PSN ID
    jrp0024
    i think he is talking about the playstation 4 F34R. The PS4 gives you an option to display your Facebook pic as your avatar.

Master Sage
    Friends have two different levels of access to your profile.

Facebook image is only seen by those who you have sent out 'name' requests.
    Everyone else sees your avatar.

Veteran
    Both profile picture and real name will only be displayed if the user chooses to and is prompted to show it someone else, I think you can request someone to show their real name.

Superior Member
    PSN ID
    thanatos144
    What made them think people would want to use their real name and pic on a game system? I dont understand the thinking behind this.

Forum Elder
    PSN ID
    PhillyPhreak
    Quote Originally Posted by thanatos144 View Post
    What made them think people would want to use their real name and pic on a game system? I dont understand the thinking behind this.
    This a social networking society that we live in, that's why. It's optional so you have a choice. If you receive a request to reveal your real name, you can decline it.

"PS1994"- #4ThePlayers

Super Moderator
    PSN ID
    Lethal_NFS
    Items Michelle MarshAngelina JolieScarlett JohanssonOlivia WildeLucy Pinder
    You don't understand it? I have many real friends in my friends list, and I often forget who is who by their gamertag. Seeing their real name makes it obvious as to who that gamertag belongs to. I really like the added feature.

9. Likes comadrake likes this post
    Legend
    PSN ID
    F34RTEHR34PER
    Items BullySteamGran Turismo 5LiverpoolAppleJoker (limited ICON)Naughty DogMaster ChiefAssassins Creed EzioGears of WarHeavy RainDiablo III
    Quote Originally Posted by jrp0024 View Post
    i think he is talking about the playstation 4 F34R. The PS4 gives you an option to display your Facebook pic as your avatar.
    I'm feeling a little more retarded after this lol.

Superior Member

PSN ID
    martin_blank
    Quote Originally Posted by F34R View Post
    Don't sweat it. From how people respond, I can never tell around here. I'm like Niels Bohr in the morning and Benjy Compson that afternoon.

12. Likes F34R likes this post
    Superior Member
    PSN ID
    thanatos144
    Quote Originally Posted by PhillyPhreak View Post
    This a social networking society that we live in, that's why. It's optional so you have a choice. If you receive a request to reveal your real name, you can decline it.
    you are right of course but that wasn't my point. It is by default using your name and Facebook pic instead of the other way and that to me is bizarre. No offense but I dont need people I meet online knowing my name unless I decide it and it is great they give me this choice AFTER I change the default setting. I dont understand the thinking behind making it the default choice is what I was driving at.

Superior Member
    PSN ID
    thanatos144
    Quote Originally Posted by Lethal_NFS View Post
    You don't understand it? I have many real friends in my friends list, and I often forget who is who by their gamertag. Seeing their real name makes it obvious as to who that gamertag belongs to. I really like the added feature.
    thats fine....They give you that choice. Yet they shouldn't have made it the default choice.

Superior Member

PSN ID
    martin_blank
    thats fine....They give you that choice. Yet they shouldn't have made it the default choice.
    I linked my Facebook account after putting my account on the PS4, not during the step-by-step account setup process, and the default setting for me was PSN ID and avatar, not real name and profile picture. If Facebook is linked during initial setup I guess it defaults to real name and profile picture. But, agreed, the most conservative privacy setting is the preferred online standard and therefore should be the default option. Likewise, auto-funding to renew PS+ subscriptions should be opt-in, not set it to auto-fund and then you have to go uncheck auto-fund to opt-out. Of course that's not the way they do it. Presumably it's part of Sony's deal with Facebook. We let you load us up with videos and automatic profile updates, you default linked accounts to our info, not yours.

Forum Guru
    PSN ID
    markiemark901

As you should lol.

@Natos- well considering it's the age of social media there's probably not THAT many people that would care. I mean $#@! we barely have any privacy anymore anyway, so consoles are following that road lol

moving on Tapatalk

Currently Playing: COD Ghosts, Battlefield 4, Assassins Creed 4

17. Likes F34R likes this post
    Superior Member
    PSN ID
    thanatos144
    Quote Originally Posted by KnotGamer901 View Post
    As you should lol.

@Natos- well considering it's the age of social media there's probably not THAT many people that would care. I mean $#@! we barely have any privacy anymore anyway, so consoles are following that road lol

moving on Tapatalk
    My Facebook is family and I almost trust all of them LOL Yet gamers I met on PSN? Oh Hell no LOL Some of us gamers are just freaks and misfits LOL

Veteran
    My complaint is why does my PlayStation require Facebook inorder to have a custom profile pic or display my real name in the first place?

Its should be a regular option/setting not requiring the stupid need for Facebook.
    PCs are very much like Air Conditioners.
    They both become utterly useless once you start to open up Windows....
    ----------------------------------------------

Forum Guru
    PSN ID
    markiemark901
    My Facebook is family and I almost trust all of them LOL Yet gamers I met on PSN? Oh Hell no LOL Some of us gamers are just freaks and misfits LOL
    lol. just look at my av and u know your statement is true

moving on Tapatalk

Superior Member
    PSN ID
    thanatos144
    lol. just look at my av and u know your statement is true

moving on Tapatalk
    Cant fault you that. SlipKnot rocks.

Legend
    PSN ID
    F34RTEHR34PER
    Quote Originally Posted by faaeng View Post
    My complaint is why does my PlayStation require Facebook inorder to have a custom profile pic or display my real name in the first place?

Its should be a regular option/setting not requiring the stupid need for Facebook.
    They've either done that purposely to promote facebook in that respect, or it's just something they haven't done yet.

The good thing, kinda, is that you can just make a facebook profile and choose your pics. It doesn't have to be a specific facebook page, with lots of friends, etc. Make a bogus one, put whatever av you want, done.

Forum Guru
    PSN ID
    markiemark901
    yessir they do best band. if you consider yourself a maggot.

@fear: ur honest opinion you think they got compensated for doing that with Facebook?

moving on Tapatalk

Legend
    PSN ID
    F34RTEHR34PER
    yessir they do best band. if you consider yourself a maggot.

@fear: ur honest opinion you think they got compensated for doing that with Facebook?

moving on Tapatalk
    I don't personally think so. That was more of a conspiracy theory lol. I just think the software/UI, etc., just wasn't ever done with all the features that we want.

Forum Guru
    PSN ID
    markiemark901
    I don't personally think so. That was more of a conspiracy theory lol. I just think the software/UI, etc., just wasn't ever done with all the features that we want.
    my question is if they wanted to incorporate social media, why not do a "newer" one? Facebook is old for many people, the first time I've messed with my Facebook in about 6 months was when I setup my ps4. if they used a newer social media site/idea/company/what the hell ever, they could've gotten compensated for promoting them. would've been a good business strategy?

moving on Tapatalk

Legend
    PSN ID
    F34RTEHR34PER
    my question is if they wanted to incorporate social media, why not do a "newer" one? Facebook is old for many people, the first time I've messed with my Facebook in about 6 months was when I setup my ps4. if they used a newer social media site/idea/company/what the hell ever, they could've gotten compensated for promoting them. would've been a good business strategy?

moving on Tapatalk
    I think they would have a better business opportunity with Facebook because it's extremely populated and active. Facebook disclosed that there are 1.1 billion active users in March 2013.

Forum Guru
    PSN ID
    markiemark901
    I think they would have a better business opportunity with Facebook because it's extremely populated and active. Facebook disclosed that there are 1.1 billion active users in March 2013.
    I agree, but Facebook is such a big company they could demand compensation from Sony, promoting their product. with a littler company they wouldn't have that problem. and there's no way the argument can be made that Sony wouldn't get any money from using a littler company. for example: Snapchat was offered 3 Billion dollars from Facebook.

moving on Tapatalk

Superior Member

PSN ID
    martin_blank

moving on Tapatalk
    Facebook actually could be paying in something or working some deal financially benefiting Sony. They're hemorrhaging teenage members. Being the only place at launch you can share video clips really might bring a lot of teens back to Facebook proper. They've got them on Instagram, but that's not the flagship Facebook brand and I don't think it's bringing them back to the flagship like they hoped it would. They're just using Instagram standalone.

Thread Information