Latest PSU headlines:

Page 1 of 2 1 ... LastLast
    PSU Editor-in-chief
    PSN ID
    geist226
    Items User name styleFull Metal AlchemistYunaGuerrilla GamesNaughty DogDaft PunkDeus Ex HR AdamAtlusFinal Fantasy X

PSU's review of Killzone: Shadow Fall - 7.5 out of 10

I've been diving deep with PS4 for the last week, and I've surfaced with my first launch-title review. Check out my thoughts on Killzone, and sound off in this thread with your own thoughts on the game--with such mixed opinions everywhere, I'm very curious to hear what people think!

http://www.psu.com/a021681/Killzone-...ong-directions

Intro and conclusion:

Killzone: Shadow Fall takes steps to reinvent the franchise in a next-gen transition to wide-open areas, tactical shooting, and a slower pace--all told, a thinking man's game. If you look too closely, it's easy to see Killzone: Shadow Fall as a sum of gameplay, art, and design choices that have made shooters into mainstream blockbusters--inspirations from Crysis, Half-Life 2, and totalitarian settings are worn on its sleeve. But beneath the exceedingly shiny veneer (Shadow Fall is the best-looking PS4 game, after all), Killzone's pursuit of innovation fall shorts of greatness and yields a hybrid experience both familiar and bold. When it sticks to the Killzone script, Shadow Fall meets or exceeds the series' best moments. In its significant changes, the results are less positive.
    A decidedly mixed bag that will please enthusiast fans, Killzone: Shadow Fall takes bold steps in a quest for greatness but rarely approaches that lofty benchmark. Forged though it may be in the fires of next-gen splendor, a visual feast is lacking without narrative appetizers. Though repeat plays would alleviate concerns about level design and poor signposting, I probably won't be returning to Shadow Fall's good-not-great campaign for seconds. But multiplayer has my lasting attention, and customizable Warzones are the best way to get your fix of Killzone's excellent mechanics and distinct feel. Graphics aside, you should play Shadow Fall for its atmosphere and the expansion of a universe that could serve excellent sequels. But you should stay for good times with friends and that weighty Killzone action. You'll be glad you did.

2. Likes Serinous , Two4DaMoney , Shockwave likes this post
    PSU Editor
    PSN ID
    NeoShockWave
    Items Title StyleLiquid Ocelotid SoftwareKonamiUser name styleNaughty DogBig BossTidusPlayStationManchester UnitedAuron
    Solid review, one which certainly touches upon a lot of the issues that have been raised in other publications. At least you've found multiplayer to be the most redeeming factor of the package. It's what I'm looking forward to most!

Follow me on Twitter @Adam_PSU for all things PlayStation!

4. Likes KyleOnTheRun likes this post
    Elite Sage
    Items Naughty DogPS3 SlimNaughty DogUser name style
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    This is the last straw for me. I'm buying this used. GG needs to get their head out of their ass. First they take away the character selection found in the first kz. Take away secondary fire, bring it back somewhat in kz3. Has a coop feature, take it away in kz:sf. Ugh, it's so much I can speak on as far as the direction they have been going. They need a new lead manager and should hire the writer that wrote the backstory.

no coop + $#@!ing up level design + abandoning kz3 cliff hanger = kiss my ass, GG.
    Destiny is going to be EVERYTHING that EA and MS hoped titanfall would be

PSU Editor-in-chief
    PSN ID
    geist226
    Items User name styleFull Metal AlchemistYunaGuerrilla GamesNaughty DogDaft PunkDeus Ex HR AdamAtlusFinal Fantasy X
    Quote Originally Posted by Two4DaMoney View Post
    This is the last straw for me. I'm buying this used. GG needs to get their head out of their ass. First they take away the character selection found in the first kz. Take away secondary fire, bring it back somewhat in kz3. Has a coop feature, take it away in kz:sf. Ugh, it's so much I can speak on as far as the direction they have been going. They need a new lead manager and should hire the writer that wrote the backstory.

no coop + $#@!ing up level design + abandoning kz3 cliff hanger = kiss my ass, GG.
    Without spoiling too much, I think the story does manage to sufficiently explain what has happened since the KZ3 cliffhanger, but the story as a whole isn't executed well and no co-op is definitely a disappointment. Plus, yeah, level design is all over the place. I've never felt so weirdly lost in a first-person shooter.

Superior Member
    PSN ID
    Skullomainia
    KZ games have always been short of perfection.. For every thing they nail down perfectly there is another thing where they miss the nail and hit themselves on the thumb with the hammer. Why is it so difficult for them to get all the things come together perfectly in just one of their games? Story telling and acting have been the letdowns in the games I've played (1&2). It's been highlighted over and over, why don't they sort it out? They have a good setting, interesting themes, great visuals, its just they can never seem to be able to get the most out of it..

Superior Member
    PSN ID
    TEST SUBJECT 83
    Still rather play it than CoD any day.

Apprentice
    PSN ID
    N0REGARD4LIFE
    Items PlayStationDiceBattlefield 3
    I've never liked the KZ games. Not sure what it is, but they just don't grab me and make me want to keep playing. The graphics look amazing, but it just looks run of the mill to me. May borrow this from a buddy when he gets done and see if I was right.

Administrator and PSU Technical Manager
    Items Death Note LAtlusVitaPS3 FatMetal Gear Solid 4Naughty Dog360 SlimGuerrilla GamesApple
    I'm almost done with the game. Probably would give it an 8. Possible spoilers so...

My avatar* is dedicated to server errors where ever they roam. May they never return.
    *censoring provided by Ghost

Server Error Status Thread

11. Likes Tim Nunes likes this post
    Super Elite
    PSN ID
    FireSol
    Items User name style
    bf4: no coop + railroad levels + generig story = free pass from press. WTF????

Quote Originally Posted by KyleOnTheRun View Post
    Without spoiling too much, I think the story does manage to sufficiently explain what has happened since the KZ3 cliffhanger, but the story as a whole isn't executed well and no co-op is definitely a disappointment. Plus, yeah, level design is all over the place. I've never felt so weirdly lost in a first-person shooter.
    I think here we have a problem not with level design. It's in players, in past 5 years all that we saw is railroad level design when game take our hand and guide us through the game and make stop to let us see epic moment.

Superior Member
    I've had many moments where I would be wandering around thinking, "where the hell am I supposed to go now?!?!". And then other times when I knew exactly where to go but couldn't find out how to get there because they hid the stairs in some remote corner behind debris or something.

There was a few moments I thought were aggravating to say the least. The decent onto Helghan was infuriating. A sequence where you shoot clumps of robots while floating in space having to protect a container lasted what felt like 20minutes too long. And another part where I had to shoot hundreds of enemies for an insanely long time only to get killed a few times over before finally figuring out I had to jump inside a turret thingy and unload on them.
    "Bigfoot is blurry, that is the problem...it is not the photographers fault...Bigfoot is blurry and that is extra scary to me because there is an extra large out-of-focus creature roaming the countryside....Run he's fuzzy, get out of here" ~ Mitch Hedburg, RIP you crazy fool

Items Death Note LAtlusVitaPS3 FatMetal Gear Solid 4Naughty Dog360 SlimGuerrilla GamesApple
    Quote Originally Posted by WretchedSoul21 View Post
    I've had many moments where I would be wandering around thinking, "where the hell am I supposed to go now?!?!". And then other times when I knew exactly where to go but couldn't find out how to get there because they hid the stairs in some remote corner behind debris or something.

There was a few moments I thought were aggravating to say the least. The decent onto Helghan was infuriating. A sequence where you shoot clumps of robots while floating in space having to protect a container lasted what felt like 20minutes too long. And another part where I had to shoot hundreds of enemies for an insanely long time only to get killed a few times over before finally figuring out I had to jump inside a turret thingy and unload on them.
    Yeah, I think I went through that mission about 20 times thinking "there is NO WAY to win". Then after the drop ship appears, I just happened to run into the mega-gun that just suddenly appears behind your line off to the right. Little crap like this is so annoying and could have been avoided with a text and an arrow saying "Get in the damn turret!"

sigh
    My avatar* is dedicated to server errors where ever they roam. May they never return.

Elite Member
    I had to stop playing the SP because I started losing interest in it. The game looks great and the controls are excellent, but as others have mentioned it's easy to get lost. I will come back to it though.

The multiplayer is top notch, and this is why the game is easily worth $60. I wish GG would put out instructional videos so we know how each class, weapon, ability works. When I first jumped in, it was really confusing, and it still is a little bit. I might have to look through youtube to see if anyone has made videos.

PSU Editor
    PSN ID
    NeoShockWave
    Items Title StyleLiquid Ocelotid SoftwareKonamiUser name styleNaughty DogBig BossTidusPlayStationManchester UnitedAuron
    Quote Originally Posted by billm0066 View Post
    I had to stop playing the SP because I started losing interest in it. The game looks great and the controls are excellent, but as others have mentioned it's easy to get lost. I will come back to it though.

The multiplayer is top notch, and this is why the game is easily worth $60. I wish GG would put out instructional videos so we know how each class, weapon, ability works. When I first jumped in, it was really confusing, and it still is a little bit. I might have to look through youtube to see if anyone has made videos.
    Here ya go!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cL_Ac8RC5ss

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tO1_WON-g6M

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ud1dR6p62E8

There's far more on the channel, too.

Follow me on Twitter @Adam_PSU for all things PlayStation!

Apprentice
    PSN ID
    NeoTokyoOutlaw
    I regret buying Killzone before I even played it. I have Battlefield 4 for my multiplayer shooter fix and I haven't enjoyed a FPS campaign since, Brothers In Arms? Call of Duty 2? ARMA? I don't even know at this point. I played a lot of FPS in the early to mid 2000s so they've worn out their welcome (at least from a single player stand point). I think I'll put it up on eBay.

Dedicated Member
    Items User name style
    to be honest this game is all about the multiplayer. For non killzone guys its HARD.

I'm lucky because my first ever FPS was KZ2. Man was that a baptism of fire. Radec academy pistols only is where i cut my teeth.

Ever since I've been hooked, this game more than any takes patience at least a daily session for 2 weeks to a month to get into the swing of things.

I was watching angry Joes stream and the guy was about to literally cry. He was getting slaughtered. He didn't how to change load outs, how to use the abilities, or use the different classes. Brutal learning curve. He was actually praying for Aim assist.

For vets like us it's solid fun for new guys it's punishment. No KZ multiplayer has ever been Pick up and play. I'm glad that hasn't changed. It's what makes it so satisfying and i cant wait till the 29th Nov to slaughter some ISA scum on the "SPIRE MAP"
    You can't be serious with the 30 megabyte signature... ~ Staff

Maths is biased! It keeps telling me the PS4 is 50% more powerful than XboxOne!
    Great song, should have more views :'(

SHIMAASAAAANIIII!!!!!
    http://i.imgur.com/bP50xuM.png

19. Likes billm0066 likes this post
    Valar Morghulis
    PSN ID
    SerinousTSE
    Items PS3 FatVitaPS3 Slim
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Nice work.

I bought this game, yet to touch it though. Being playing Resogun and Ghost more than anything else.

Warframe sucks IMO.

Apprentice

Quote Originally Posted by victorijapoosp View Post
    to be honest this game is all about the multiplayer. For non killzone guys its HARD.

I'm lucky because my first ever FPS was KZ2. Man was that a baptism of fire. Radec academy pistols only is where i cut my teeth.

Ever since I've been hooked, this game more than any takes patience at least a daily session for 2 weeks to a month to get into the swing of things.

I was watching angry Joes stream and the guy was about to literally cry. He was getting slaughtered. He didn't how to change load outs, how to use the abilities, or use the different classes. Brutal learning curve. He was actually praying for Aim assist.

For vets like us it's solid fun for new guys it's punishment. No KZ multiplayer has ever been Pick up and play. I'm glad that hasn't changed. It's what makes it so satisfying and i cant wait till the 29th Nov to slaughter some ISA scum on the "SPIRE MAP"
    Yikes, still in campaign but for somebody who never/hasn't played KZ online im a bit frightened lol

Dedicated Member
    Items User name style
    Quote Originally Posted by vnmus View Post
    Yikes, still in campaign but for somebody who never/hasn't played KZ online im a bit frightened lol
    Prepare youself in botzone. Understanding the map is Key to survival. figure out all the different "Loadouts" and test the guns and abilities.

Here's how angry joe did... 2 hours of pain - he will probably give it a 5/10 maybe less, because he gets slaughtered at every turn.

http://www.twitch.tv/angryjoeshow/b/480769055

http://www.twitch.tv/angryjoeshow/b/480742542
    Last edited by victorijapoosp; 11-19-2013 at 05:27.
    You can't be serious with the 30 megabyte signature... ~ Staff

Maths is biased! It keeps telling me the PS4 is 50% more powerful than XboxOne!
    Great song, should have more views :'(

SHIMAASAAAANIIII!!!!!
    http://i.imgur.com/bP50xuM.png

PSU Editor-in-chief
    PSN ID
    geist226
    I'm glad to see so many people agreeing with my point about getting lost all the time. Especially that turret in the huge room: Ugh. They just don't TELL you anything. Running around in circles for minutes =/= fun, but most of the game is otherwise great.

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk

Master Guru
    Items Title StyleNew User TitleBaby Chocobo
Gift received at 01-13-2013 from Ghost
Message: enjoy!Final Fantasy XFinal Fantasy VIIUser name style
    These guys should have done a reboot instead of a sequel.

Elite Member
    Quote Originally Posted by victorijapoosp View Post

Very good points. KZ has a steep learning curve and that's why it doesn't sell like COD. COD has unrealistic controls and there's no weight to anything. I'm struggling with Shadowfall and I did very well on KZ3, but it will just take practice.

Quote Originally Posted by KyleOnTheRun View Post
    I'm glad to see so many people agreeing with my point about getting lost all the time. Especially that turret in the huge room: Ugh. They just don't TELL you anything. Running around in circles for minutes =/= fun, but most of the game is otherwise great.

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk
    I'm at the boss fight with Tyrian. How do you kill this asshole?!?!?

Superior Member
    PSN ID
    Flumbooze
    Items User name style
    Oh my god now I'm in doubt of my pre-order.

Master Guru
    Items Title StyleNew User TitleBaby Chocobo
Gift received at 01-13-2013 from Ghost
Message: enjoy!Final Fantasy XFinal Fantasy VIIUser name style
    Quote Originally Posted by Christopher View Post
    I'm at the boss fight with Tyrian. How do you kill this asshole?!?!?
    I compliment, GG for making him frustratingly difficult. I took the high ground and shot him with rockets from a distance - but only when he releases his spider bots, that's when his shields are down.

Apprentice
    PSN ID
    pacpunk

First of all KZ3 is was pile of crap, and this is coming from a huge fan of the series. That ending was a totally offensive to the audience. They didn't give you a good ending because they couldn't think of one and i'm glad they left it in the past. Plus this is the first Killzone game for lots of people, starting from there would only be confusing.

Never the less I agree with the review 100%, I would have given it a 7 - 7.5. I love that they tried to do something unique with the mission design but I feel like it didn't benefit the game much. The story is a bit muddled, and the characters are not relateable or likable. Also who really cares about co-op? games like Farcry 3 had co-op and practically nobody played it, I'd rather they focus on the core parts of the game like single and multiplayer.
    Contributing Writer @ PSU | Amateur Games Journalist | Internet Media Guy

Tumblr Blogs: Josh Likes Games | Coffee and Controllers | Follow me on Twitter
    Spooky Mobley's Conspiracy Corner | Pixel Power Art

Thread Information