Forum Elder
    PSN ID
    LordVenger
    Items User name style

Has Anyone played Contrast yet?

I finished Contrast yesterday, though I haven't cleaned up on the trophies yet. Some are annoying, like making a dodgy jump first try near the film cinema. I did like some of the shout outs to other science fiction properties. I found the TARDIS tucked away behind a wall near the cinema. In the Great Vincenzo's workshop I found displays of the warp core from TNG's Enterprise, the arm from the T800 from T2, the Clocktower from Back to the Future, Luke Skywalker's Lightsaber, and even the symbol from Lost.

Stylistically it is an interesting game, the 1920's Paris inspired dreamscape is very evocative and well done. The gameplay isn't quite as polished unfortunately. Some of the puzzles are more frustrating than they need to be because of jumps not lining up well. I noticed some animation glitches as well, particularly with Didi moving around stages like a chess piece and not walking. It isn't a very long game, you can probably finish it in a few hours.

2. Likes Zswordsman likes this post
    Dedicated Member
    Items Full Metal AlchemistThe X-FilesFinal Fantasy VII
    I just finished it. Gameplay was decent, it had some awkward moments with animation glitches, mainly dropping boxes or jumping. Story was pretty cool, too bad it was rather short. I especially liked the ending.

4. Likes TEST SUBJECT 83 likes this post
    Superior Member
    PSN ID
    TEST SUBJECT 83
    Haven't finished it yet, but I've found it to be a great free indie game!
    I can't complain about a free game, though a lot of people seem to do so anyway.
    I've heard a lot of reviews saying Contrast is quite bad, which I find to be over critical for something that's free.
    Despite some minor annoyances Contrast is a great indie title, IMO.

PSN ID
    Captobvious75
    The concept of it is amazing. Really enjoying it

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk 2

Dedicated Member
    I can't get it to download.
    Warframe and Resogun no problem.
    Maybe i delete and retry in a bit.

Legend
    PSN ID
    F34RTEHR34PER
    Items BullySteamGran Turismo 5LiverpoolAppleJoker (limited ICON)Naughty DogMaster ChiefAssassins Creed EzioGears of WarHeavy RainDiablo III
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    I'll have to give it another go. I haven't really liked it.

Elite Guru
    PSN ID
    TAZ427
    I haven't played it yet, thought I've been pretty excited to do so. I got completely sucked in by AC IV:BF, I'll probably wait to play it until after I get through the main story of AC IV, but before I finish everything out in the game.

Dedicated Member
    No?
    I think Walt Disney would have had fun with it. Reminds me of the early Mickey skit where he has to battle with his shadow, and all the derivatives since.

This reminds me i need to get it downloaded and find out, for some reason it's not been downloading.

Forum Elder
    Awesome art direction, beautiful game.

Have not finished it yet.

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk 2
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

PSN ID
    Jweaks23
    I tried it out for around a hour...i really like the concept and shadow to real life mechanic...looks like its a little finnicky at times though...going to sit down and finish it soon

Apprentice

It is worth a play through, after I beat it, I'm not sure I'll play it again. I seem to get caught floating in places often I notice, after dropping boxes or shadow dashing. Seems to pop out of shadow mode when I don't expect it to. Overall, still enjoyable for a short free game.

PSN ID
    CarmineReaper
    Meh I have played it but to me the controls seemed clunky. I have to finish it but I wasn't that impressed at first. It will probably change.

I think the it is a cool idea just I don't know haven't gotten into it.

PSN ID
    DaGrandMastah
    I'm enjoying it. I agree that the game has some issues but it's not bad at all. i'll definitely finish playing it. Not sure I'll go back but I do enjoy some of the puzzles. The controls are a bit clunky.

Apprentice
    PSN ID
    NeoTokyoOutlaw
    I've heard mixed things, but it definitely looks interesting. I'd give it a go if I didn't already have my hands full with so many other games.

Veteran
    I finished Act 1 and liking it so far, not something amazing but sure good enough for me to play as it is a freebie.

Superior Member
    PSN ID
    KillingSpree0
    All these comments and not one about the music?? I love music in the game alot

Anime-Planet.com - anime | manga | reviews

Veteran
    PSN ID
    SomaXD
    Items PhotoShopPhotoshopAssassins Creed EzioKillzone 3Guerrilla GamesNaughty DogRaidenNoctisiPhone BlackVitaDeath NoteFinal Fantasy VII
    This game is pretty $#@!ty. the puzzles are mind numbingly simple. the hardest part is figuring out how to solve them without getting $#@!ed by a bug or glitch. (making you think the simplest puzzle is harder than it is) Its very ugly (looks like a PS3 game...) its plauged by framerate issues (how is such a simple game with little graphical power so $#@!ing wonky with framerate?!)

You CONSTANTLY get stuck in the environment, and the environment is just badly designed with invisible walls and a lot of clipping. Just picking up a ball or crate causes you to get stuck in it every time you set it down. and running against walls or environment can cause you to rocket upwards or just get stuck inside. The animations are really bad and stiff, and the cutscenes are frustrating when replaying levels. you can "skip" them, but even then you have to wait a few seconds after every cutscene for "cinematic cameras" while they either go through the level or focus on you... its really annoying... ill post a video later showing this stuff if you guys want.

overall i give it a 2/10 (music and atmosphere each get a point, but its just so boring and broken... its really... ugh thank christ it was free)

(sorry guys its just how i feel... its terrible!)

Quote Originally Posted by TEST SUBJECT 83 View Post
    I've heard a lot of reviews saying Contrast is quite bad, which I find to be over critical for something that's free.

because its only free for PS+ isnt it? its not worth a buy otherwise... id be $#@!ing pissed if i paid for it. Besides... free doesnt give you a pass to make a buggy glitch filled sub par game.
    Last edited by SomaXD; 11-19-2013 at 07:27.
    Vanik Tetsu'ya
    PS4 500GB//PS3 MGS4 80GB//PS3 120GB Slim//360 250GB Slim//360 4GB Slim w/Kinect//Black Wii 4.3u softmod//PS Vita w/32gb card

Forum Elder
    PSN ID
    LordVenger
    Items User name style
    Quote Originally Posted by Zswordsman View Post
    I just finished it. Gameplay was decent, it had some awkward moments with animation glitches, mainly dropping boxes or jumping. Story was pretty cool, too bad it was rather short. I especially liked the ending.

Shogun of the Ban Thread
    PSN ID
    ManaBurnX
    I thought it was a really cool concept but had some execution problems. I finished it a couple hours ago and I enjoyed it, even though some glitches made it frustrating. As for the ending I'm not sure what happened but here's my take on it:

Supreme Veteran
    PSN ID
    MagicManGSC
    I haven't had any of the technical issues yet that everyone is speaking of. I'm about halfway through the game.

I'm enjoying it so far. Love the world, the gameplay is pretty novel, and I like Didi. lol

Super Moderator
    PSN ID
    Lethal_NFS
    Items Michelle MarshAngelina JolieScarlett JohanssonOlivia WildeLucy Pinder
    I started this game today. I absolutely love the atmosphere and music in this game. Using shadows to strategically accomplish your goal is amazing. I have had a few glitches, or bugs while playing though. I get stuck in spots quite often, sometimes the sound of moving something never stops. It just keeps looping over and over.. Part of the girls dads head was not in line with his body while talking, and the characters seem to teleport quite often, or glide to their designated spot.

But nothing of which has ruined my experience. When I get stuck, I can almost always get out of it by pressing circle.

Right now I am stuck trying to fix this damn pirate ship.

Edit - Got passed the ship. My favorite quote in the game so far. "She had to use magic mushrooms to get high..er up"
    Last edited by Lethal; 11-20-2013 at 19:23.

Thread Information