Page 1 of 3 1 ... LastLast
    Super Moderator
    PSN ID
    Lethal_NFS
    Items Michelle MarshAngelina JolieScarlett JohanssonOlivia WildeLucy Pinder
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!

Knack is much better than I expected (Mini review)

Knack was never on my list of games to get on the PS4. I basically got the game in the Target B2G1 free sale. Anyways, I decided to test out the PS Vita remote play feature last night. I really love how you can access remote play at any time. While playing Knack on my PS4, I turned on my Vita and switched to remote play.

During my first hour, I was not too impressed. But it was obvious that the first chapter was nothing but a tutorial, so I stuck it out and continued playing.

Chapter 2 - The game starts to get pretty fun here. Enemies are quite a challenge when I am at my smallest form. There are areas where I died multiple times. Early on I noticed cracked walls that I could break through to find hidden collectible items. This really adds to the adventure as I am constantly looking for hidden areas.

Chapter 3 - You find out you can use ice crystals to grow larger. I love how the larger you get, the easier enemies are to destroy. The ice crystals work great inside caves, but once you go outside, you slowly start to melt. This leads to some good timed events that make you want to haul ass before you melt. If you do melt, the challenge increases greatly.

So to cap off my little mini review, I have to say that last night I didn't want to stop playing. The game sucked me in, and I was using the Vita for most of the time. At first, I would agree with the 5/10 scores out there. But after playing through a few chapters, this game is easily an 8 for me.

Score = 8/10

I will be doing a full review after I complete the game.

2. Likes Ghost , PS4freak likes this post
    Legend
    PSN ID
    F34RTEHR34PER
    Items BullySteamGran Turismo 5LiverpoolAppleJoker (limited ICON)Naughty DogMaster ChiefAssassins Creed EzioGears of WarHeavy RainDiablo III
    I'll get it now. Thanks for the impressions J.

Super Moderator
    PSN ID
    Lethal_NFS
    Quote Originally Posted by F34R View Post
    I'll get it now. Thanks for the impressions J.
    No problem, I think you will enjoy it. I am going to try out the companion app today. I guess you can unlock items using the phone app.

5. Likes John Willaford likes this post

PSN ID
    Captobvious75
    I think it gets crap reviews just cause its not an adult oriented game. Keep us posted

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk 2

Super Moderator
    PSN ID
    Lethal_NFS
    Quote Originally Posted by Captobvious75 View Post
    I think it gets crap reviews just cause its not an adult oriented game. Keep us posted

I agree. While playing, I noticed that when I found hidden items, it would show me who else on my friends list found the item as well. I love the little $#@! like that. I actually found 1 item that nobody else found yet.

Super Elite
    PSN ID
    FireSol
    Items User name style

i think its mostly because they played it on easy or normal. on hard or very hard its the different game, check Rengarious stream, when it goes life.

Superior Member
    PSN ID
    KillingSpree0
    My favorite feature of the game is the remote play coop, since I didn't shell out 60$ for another controller me and my friend can still enjoy the game together with no extra hit to my wallet

Anime-Planet.com - anime | manga | reviews

PSN ID
    Jweaks23
    Without playing the game I didn't think it deserved as low as a 5....it seems like it would be a decent game to sit down and have a good time with...will probably rent it just to check it out

Dedicated Member
    Items User name style
    I've been watching Twitch players stream this game, I honestly can't understand the hate its getting from the games media personalities.

Dansgaming plays the game really well, he dies alot but still loves it. Knack is just PURE GAMEPLAY with solid mechanics reminds me of sonic and crash bandicoot.
    You can't be serious with the 30 megabyte signature... ~ Staff

Maths is biased! It keeps telling me the PS4 is 50% more powerful than XboxOne!
    Great song, should have more views :'(

SHIMAASAAAANIIII!!!!!
    http://i.imgur.com/bP50xuM.png

Dedicated Member

Thats rubbish. How do you explain mario and pokemon games getting reviewed so highly.
    I'll pick it up next year, maybe the price will have dropped. It looks good, but the reviews turned me off to buying it day one.

Elite Sage
    I won't be buying this on full price but I will get it. Doesn't sound anything as bad as some people made it out to be.
    Man who chase after bus get exhausted, man who run in front of bus get tired
    Man who masturbates in class has firm grip of subject at hand
    Woman who sink in man's arms soon have arms in man's sink

Super Moderator
    PSN ID
    Lethal_NFS
    Quote Originally Posted by Soldierboy View Post
    Thats rubbish. How do you explain mario and pokemon games getting reviewed so highly.
    I'll pick it up next year, maybe the price will have dropped. It looks good, but the reviews turned me off to buying it day one.
    Childish looking games are supposed to be on the Wii U and any other Nintendo platforms. When games like that reach the PS4 and Xbox One, they tend to get lower scores.

Trying not to break stuff...
    Items LuluHIMLinkin ParkPlayStationFinal Fantasy XIII-2Final Fantasy XIIIDeath Note LFinal FantasyDark Souls Cover
    Day 1 AU release. So excited to play it glad you're liking it Lethal

16. Likes Lethal likes this post
    PSU Editor-in-chief
    PSN ID
    geist226
    Items User name styleFull Metal AlchemistYunaGuerrilla GamesNaughty DogDaft PunkDeus Ex HR AdamAtlusFinal Fantasy X
    I'm enjoying it too. Maybe not quite on an 8/10 level, but the challenging bits are pretty rewarding to get through. PSU's review coming this week.

Master Poster
    Items User name style
    Quote Originally Posted by KyleOnTheRun View Post
    I'm enjoying it too. Maybe not quite on an 8/10 level,
    Way to semi-spoil it, ya noob!

19. Likes KyleOnTheRun likes this post
    Veteran
    Items Battlefield 3Assassins Creed EzioCoD: World at War

Knack is much better than I expected (Mini review)

Will this be something the better half (wife) can pick up easily and play? We enjoy co op games and both have a Vita so one can be on the PS4, the other on the vita (maybe complete daft question but can 2 vitas be connected via remote play, both are on the same PSN?).

She likes gaming but usually just goes for racers and platformers like sonic racing, Mario Kart and rayman etc, FPS's and open world games are all abit too much, she wants pickup and plays without the need of complex controls, fiddle aiming and combos etc.

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master Poster
    Items User name style
    Quote Originally Posted by SupraGaz View Post
    Will this be something the better half (wife) can pick up easily and play? We enjoy co op games and both have a Vita so one can be on the PS4, the other on the vita (maybe complete daft question but can 2 vitas be connected via remote play, both are on the same PSN?).

She likes gaming but usually just goes for racers and platformers like sonic racing, Mario Kart and rayman etc, FPS's and open world games are all abit too much, she wants pickup and plays without the need of complex controls, fiddle aiming and combos etc.

Thanks

I played the demo, and yeah, if your wife likes games Rayman and other platformers than she'll be fine with this.

The game is very simple to play, and that's not meant as a slight.

Ultimate Veteran
    Items PlayStationPS3 Slim
    Does it carry the same vibe as games like Crash, Spyro, Jak?
    When I get my PS4 this is the first game i'm buying.

- Symmetrical thumb sticks for life -

Veteran
    Items Battlefield 3Assassins Creed EzioCoD: World at War
    Quote Originally Posted by RedOrb_Collector View Post
    I played the demo, and yeah, if your wife likes games Rayman and other platformers than she'll be fine with this.

The game is very simple to play, and that's not meant as a slight.
    Thanks, that's great. Will be sure to pick it up to get her involved in the PS4 excitement

Master Poster
    Items User name style
    Quote Originally Posted by mickice View Post
    Does it carry the same vibe as games like Crash, Spyro, Jak?
    When I get my PS4 this is the first game i'm buying.
    To me it felt like a mix of Crash and God of War, oddly enough.

It often had a lot straight ahead,behind the character camera moments for the stages, and there's no way to block attacks, just like Crash, but it also had changing camera angles and a fairly epic scale to the fighting, ala God of War.

PSN ID
    Captobvious75
    Quote Originally Posted by Soldierboy View Post
    Mario and Pokemon are franchises that have ran forever. Knack, not so much, so the respect level isn't there.

Last edited by Captobvious75; 11-19-2013 at 02:52.

PSU Live Streamer
    I enjoyed what little of it I have had time to play. Will I keep it when I finish it? Only time will tell. But the variation in enemy types, their attacks and the environments are many. And there is some strategy behind Knack and his abilities.

I tried it on hard...man that can get frustrating lol. The enemies do so much damage.

Come find me on Twitch.tv!

Forum Elder
    Quote Originally Posted by Lethal_NFS View Post
    Knack was never on my list of games to get on the PS4. I basically got the game in the Target B2G1 free sale. Anyways, I decided to test out the PS Vita remote play feature last night. I really love how you can access remote play at any time. While playing Knack on my PS4, I turned on my Vita and switched to remote play.

During my first hour, I was not too impressed. But it was obvious that the first chapter was nothing but a tutorial, so I stuck it out and continued playing.

Chapter 2 - The game starts to get pretty fun here. Enemies are quite a challenge when I am at my smallest form. There are areas where I died multiple times. Early on I noticed cracked walls that I could break through to find hidden collectible items. This really adds to the adventure as I am constantly looking for hidden areas.

Chapter 3 - You find out you can use ice crystals to grow larger. I love how the larger you get, the easier enemies are to destroy. The ice crystals work great inside caves, but once you go outside, you slowly start to melt. This leads to some good timed events that make you want to haul ass before you melt. If you do melt, the challenge increases greatly.

So to cap off my little mini review, I have to say that last night I didn't want to stop playing. The game sucked me in, and I was using the Vita for most of the time. At first, I would agree with the 5/10 scores out there. But after playing through a few chapters, this game is easily an 8 for me.

Score = 8/10

I will be doing a full review after I complete the game.
    My fiancÚ wanted to watch the voice. I wish I had a vita...sigh

Forum Elder
    Yeah this game is fun and it's gorgeous. Forget the critics. Reviews mean nothing

Forum Elder
    PSN ID
    LordVenger
    Items User name style
    This a copy of my post from the Metacritic thread.

Gotta say I've no idea where all the hate for Knack is coming from. I wonder if maybe people are so caught up in what it isn't that they can't see what it is? I've played to level 5-1 so far and for the most part I'm enjoying it. I think too many people where expecting a completely new revolution in action platforming that is as new to players today as things like Crash Bandicoot was when it launched. Part of me feels like people are just hating on the game because it is cool to do so.

Knack is a very old school action platformer, more in the later R&C (all be it without much in the way of ranged attacks) vein than anything else. Platforming is more about getting to the next fight than dying trying to get past a section. Combat is entirely based on beating the first hit, either by dodging or getting a strike in first. Once an enemy launches a hit there's no block, no interrupt, you just need to be out of the way. Complexity is based on the mix of bad guys, their patterns, and knowing your attack range. The game can be tough, even on easy level depending on what enemies you get and what they do, and how clean you are trying to play. I'm fairly leery of playing on higher difficulties till I've mastered the game. You have a minimal resources, relics that act as health and sunstones that charge your special attacks, and aside from times when them game preps you for something specific there's rarely enough of each to play loose. You also collect parts for upgrades but I've not yet collected enough of them to see how they change gameplay.

Knack is in some ways a very simple game, and very much a throw back to an earlier era of games. You have no control over the camera, you see exactly what the developer wants you to see at all times, there's one linear path through all the stages, any side branches are likely hiding a hidden chest and not much else. Enemies are a genuine threat at most points in the game, any enemy in your own weight class can kill you with only a few hits. There is no lock on, so some of the problems with older games come back if you lose sight of an enemy. Bosses and environmental dangers can sometimes do one hit kills. Puzzle elements are admittedly limited, so far I've used ice and see through crystals to get past obstacles, but only on the levels where those elements are needed. So the game doesn't get increasingly complex as more puzzle solutions are offered. Death is actually a useful tool, you restart very quickly with full health at the last check point. But whatever sunstone energy you have used does not return which can make a repeat combat section harder if you rely on special moves. There are no save points, no save commands, the game relies entirely on auto saves, meaning if you leave a game and come back you'll start at the beginning of the level you were on, not the checkpoint you had reached. The game also largely controls how large you are at a specific point of the game, and unfortunately it isn't like Katmari Damarcy where you can just keep getting bigger if you play cleanly. The game will give you relics to grow when you need them, and take them away after stages where they come in handy.

There are no obvious loading screens anywhere in the game once you actually start. All loading is covered by none skipable cut scenes. The graphics are actually very decent, everything has a very clean cartoony feel. It looks a lot like a high end CGI TV cartoon should, not quite Pixar level, but better than most such productions. There's zero pop in of objects or textures, and textures can be very good. There are a couple of scenes that are really quite pretty. There's no screen tearing, not much in the way of visible jaggies, and I've not really seen much in the way of glitches or things getting caught in the environment. I've not encountered much in the way of slow downs, even when there are a lot of elements on the screen. Each relic in Knack's body is individually drawn, when you take damage you lose parts, others get broken. Admittedly I've not seen more than 5 or 6 bad guys on a screen at once. The characters and voice actors are decent, and while the story requires you to simply accept a lot of things it hasn't reached a point where it doesn't make sense yet.

I'm not 100% sure it should have been a full price game, $59 seems a bit much considering it is rumored to be pretty short and I'm not sure how much replay potential it has (though you find parts to unlock different versions of Knack with different abilities and limits which may interest people). For $29 it would probably be well worth a buy, and if you have Gamefly I'd recommend at least trying it for yourself.

Thread Information