Latest PSU headlines:

Page 1 of 2 1 ... LastLast
    Superior Member

Wanna buy the Hauppauge PVR 2 model 1480 to record PS4 gameplay in 1080P...

Wanna buy the Hauppauge PVR 2 model 1480 to record PS4 gameplay in 1080P... and looking at buying it this week since it's on sale here in the USA on Amazon from $199 all the way down to $129. Good price!

- But according to the Q&A on the PSBlog for the PS4, there is a patch that will make the HMDI out work with
    such recording devices...

I assume that patch is NOT out yet.. or what addressed in the 1.50 patch that I downloaded and installed when I set my PS4 up?

Anyone have any information on this?

Thanks!

Legend
    PSN ID
    F34RTEHR34PER
    Items BullySteamGran Turismo 5LiverpoolAppleJoker (limited ICON)Naughty DogMaster ChiefAssassins Creed EzioGears of WarHeavy RainDiablo III
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    No patch yet for the HDCP removal so that we can vid cap from the PS4. You can spend about 20 bucks on a splitter, extra hdmi cable, and it'll work just fine without having to wait for a patch.

Superior Member

I have an HDMI splitter already. (takes an HDMI in and splits to two HDMI outs).

I don't understand how that would work however. Where does that come into play in the hook up?

Legend
    PSN ID
    F34RTEHR34PER
    Items BullySteamGran Turismo 5LiverpoolAppleJoker (limited ICON)Naughty DogMaster ChiefAssassins Creed EzioGears of WarHeavy RainDiablo III
    Quote Originally Posted by Zaxtor99 View Post
    I have an HDMI splitter already. (takes an HDMI in and splits to two HDMI outs).

I don't understand how that would work however. Where does that come into play in the hook up?
    You go from PS4 out, to HDMI in on the splitter. Output 1 from splitter to the HDMI In on the PVR 2. HDMI OUT from PVR 2 to the TV. USB from PVR 2 to your PC.

Which splitter do you have? I wanna look it up to make sure it strips hdcp.

Master Sage
    Items User name style
    Are there any HDMI splitters you would recommend F34R?
    I was looking at this one - http://www.amazon.com/Sewell-Direct-...+hdmi+splitter

Legend
    PSN ID
    F34RTEHR34PER
    Quote Originally Posted by HellsJester View Post
    Are there any HDMI splitters you would recommend F34R?
    I was looking at this one - http://www.amazon.com/Sewell-Direct-...+hdmi+splitter
    I can't really recommend any from personal experience. There are a dozen or so youtube videos showing some using different branded, and different models.

There are a few of 'em that are the same unit, just different branding; along with different prices. I literally just bought the same one, only different name, for $16.50 - HERE

7. Likes HellsJester likes this post
    Master Sage
    Items User name style
    Thank you for the info F34R

Legend
    PSN ID
    F34RTEHR34PER
    No problemo. Mine will be here tomorrow. We'll see then hehe.

Superior Member

Quote Originally Posted by F34R View Post
    Which splitter do you have? I wanna look it up to make sure it strips hdcp.
    I have this one I purchased off of Amazon way back in 2009...

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I've barely used it, so hopefully I can make use of it now.

Also, thanks for those instructions, seems simple enough.

- Zaxx

Legend
    PSN ID
    F34RTEHR34PER
    That one should work just fine. SHOULD. I know it works with the Elgato HD (which is what I use). I haven't seen it with the PVR 2 though. Keep us updated on your progress.

Superior Member

Will do. I think I'm gonna go ahead and order the model 1480 PVR 2 from Amazon since it looks like a good price. It's the model 1480, Gaming edition. Can you see any reason why I'd want to spend more (around $160) to buy one of the other two models PVR 2 from Hauppauge?

Thanks for your help.. and let us know about your experience when it arrives for you as well please!

- Did you also order the Hauppauge PVR 2 Model 1480? If not, which one did you get and why did you choose it instead of the model 1480?

Legend
    PSN ID
    F34RTEHR34PER
    Definitely do NOT buy the one I bought. It was completely different from the actual product page. It DOESN'T work. I ordered another unit, the viewHD "version". That will be here tomorrow lol. I already got a return auth on this plastic crap I received; instead of the metal casing, working unit that I saw on the product page.

Superior Member

The splitter isn't working I assume....

I just ordered the PVR 2 model 1480 today, 2 day shipping but says it will be here tomorrow. Hope my 4 year old splitter works, heh.

I actually snagged an early Black Friday Sale price on the Hauppauge 1480 PVR2 for only $120. (Regular $199.99) Seemed like a good price so I jumped on it.

Hopefully I can get it to work tomorrow, I will post my results here.

Legend
    PSN ID
    F34RTEHR34PER
    The splitter isn't working I assume....

I just ordered the PVR 2 model 1480 today, 2 day shipping but says it will be here tomorrow. Hope my 4 year old splitter works, heh.

I actually snagged an early Black Friday Sale price on the Hauppauge 1480 PVR2 for only $120. (Regular $199.99) Seemed like a good price so I jumped on it.

Hopefully I can get it to work tomorrow, I will post my results here.
    Yours should work. We'll see. I bought one as well, and it will be here tomorrow. Nice price on the PVR2. I have the Elgato, which is freakin' awesome. I might pick up the PVR2 for a backup, for such a good price and all.

My splitter isn't what it was supposed to be. Hopefully the one I'll get, similar to yours, will work fine. I saw a few yt videos that uses the same one I bought, and what you have.

Legend
    PSN ID
    F34RTEHR34PER
    Ok, I'm narrowing it down to maybe my HDMI cables aren't up to snuff. This new viewHD isn't working when sending the signal to the Elgato. I'm running up town real quick to get some high speed (newer) HDMI cables. These I have might not be compliant or something lol.

Master Sage
    Items User name style
    Ok, I'm narrowing it down to maybe my HDMI cables aren't up to snuff. This new viewHD isn't working when sending the signal to the Elgato. I'm running up town real quick to get some high speed (newer) HDMI cables. These I have might not be compliant or something lol.
    Interesting. keep us updated.

Superior Member

Wow, I am having no luck either with my Brand new from Amazon HD PVR2 Gamers Edition Model 1480....

I've got it hooked up as follows:

PS4 HDMI out to HDMI splitter IN.

HDMI Splitter Out #1 to HD PVR IN

HDMI Splitter Out #2 to TV

(Nothing coming out of PVR Out as its already going to the TV from the splitter)

I get a perfect picture on the TV. Hauppauge Capture Program is BLACK. (yes settings are correct on the program, source HDMI etc)

I've tried going from splitter Out #1 to PVR2 and nothing on Splitter Out #2, and then HDMI cord from Out on PVR2 to TV, get the same results.

I reboot the PVR2 everytime I change anything.

I've updated the PVR drivers and software to the most current versions directly from the Hauppauge website.

TV has a picture... Hauppauge software shows nothing but black.

So.. I think maybe my 4 year old splitter isn't HDCP compliant perhaps...

Well... If I run the PS4 to the input on the splitter, the out from splitter to both my TV and to my PC monitor, I see BOTH displays showing the PS4 display at the same time, both perfect picture. ....Wouldn't that tell me that not only is my splitter working great but also that it is HDCP compliant? (ie stripping Sony's copy protection off)... and that it should work?

I've rebooted my PC after updating the PVR2 driver, I've tried everything I can think of, swapped all the HDMI cords out to make sure they all work (ie from splitter to tv) and I am out of ideas.

Surely the PVR2, brand new isn't faulty. After all, it works just fine when I hook up my PS3 to it using the component cables and adapter included. I get video on my TV and on the SAME hauppauge recording software.

I have a hard time believing the PVR2 is bad. But I don't know what else it could be... Hmmmm.

Any ideas? I'm open to suggestions, advice... maybe I'm over-thinking something really SIMPLE here??

- Zaxx

Elite Member
    PSN ID
    FaLLeNMoNkEy
    You will want to use one of these to strip the HDCP from the PS4.
    http://www.amazon.com/dp/B003UYOEMI/...I3KR04F968L3SE

Superior Member

Quote Originally Posted by FaLLeNMoNkEy View Post
    You will want to use one of these to strip the HDCP from the PS4.
    http://www.amazon.com/dp/B003UYOEMI/...I3KR04F968L3SE
    ..So the splitter I have works splitting the PS4 video to my PC monitor and my TV because neither the monitor nor the TV have any risk of recording the content as my PC??

I agree with you that the HDMI splitter is the likely culprit here... I just thought it might be fine since it splits the PS4 video perfectly to both my TV and my PC monitor... but that doesn't mean it's striping the HDCP huh?

- Zaxx

Legend
    PSN ID
    F34RTEHR34PER
    There is a video:

He's using the same hardware as I am using...

My video pops up for a second, and then it's gone. It works fine on the TV part.

Superior Member

So, I assume that you are having issues very similar to what I am seeing as well.

I can only assume that I need to get a different splitter because no matter how I run my HDMI cables from my PS4 thru the splitter to the PVR2, all I get on my PC is a black screen, but my PS3 running directly to the PVR2 with the included cords and adapter works flawlessly. That pretty much singles out the splitter as the problem.

Naturally, the OREI model splitter that I want is sold out on Amazon. I don't trust ordering it through their 3rd party distributor, so I will just wait until Amazon gets them back in stock. *(I'm pretty sure that was the deal with I first ordered this splitter years ago through Amazon. I went through one of their partners and the splitter I received didn't match the photos, didn't have the name brand on it and looked just like a generic model splitter. So now days I don't trust the partners on Amazon. If it don't come from "Amazon" I don't usually buy it)*

Patience is bliss... or maddening. LoL.
    Last edited by Zaxtor99; 11-21-2013 at 05:05.

Legend
    PSN ID
    F34RTEHR34PER
    So, I assume that you are having issues very similar to what I am seeing as well.

I can only assume that I need to get a different splitter because no matter how I run my HDMI cables from my PS4 thru the splitter to the PVR2, all I get on my PC is a black screen, but my PS3 running directly to the PVR2 with the included cords and adapter works flawlessly. That pretty much singles out the splitter as the problem.

Naturally, the OREI model splitter that I want is sold out on Amazon. I don't trust ordering it through their 3rd party distributor, so I will just wait until Amazon gets them back in stock.

Patience is bliss... or maddening. LoL.
    Yeah, I'm pretty annoyed and frustrated that it isn't working properly. I have one more option in the morning and then I'll just have to wait until Sony patches this $#@! so it'll work without having to work around the restrictions.

Superior Member

Yeah, I'm pretty annoyed and frustrated that it isn't working properly. I have one more option in the morning and then I'll just have to wait until Sony patches this $#@! so it'll work without having to work around the restrictions.
    I feel your pain brother, been messing with this far too long today. Two to three hours trying to make something work that should take 10 minutes and it still don't work is definitely frustrating. - I can only hope my conclusion that I need a different splitter is the answer, lol.

Superior Member
    PSN ID
    Carla_Birch-USA
    Have you tested the setup on your PS3 (if you still got it) to test the hardware is workinh fine? If works on PS3 its just a case of swaping PS3 to your PS4, if that dont work than i guess the PS4 is doing more than we think.

Legend
    PSN ID
    F34RTEHR34PER
    Yeah, I already tried the PS3 as well. Same issue. Doesn't make sense to me.

Thread Information