Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst ... 2
    Forum Sage

Quote Originally Posted by vnmus View Post
    Is it just me or do characters in games appear bigger? I don't know if it's because games are running in 1080p or what but it's awesome. The helghast in KZ are freaking huge same for 2k the guys are big and lifelike.
    I think it has more to do with modeling accuracy and the scales used. My brother, who is really big into 3-D modeling, has been one of the large proponents of real-world unit scales in modeling and he does all his work in either empirical or metric units. With each progressive generation, there is less room for made up or long-held inaccurate systems of measuring within the industry. Especially with the leap in amount of detail and fidelity each successive generation of hardware has to offer.

Forum Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by Sufi View Post
    maybe visuals...not expressions nor the lip syncing. here is a video as a refresher

[video]

this video shows not only more accurate expressions but more dynamic ones and more of them.

really, there isn't anything better than this yet, i'm sorry, no contest. we just need to go from there and incorporate next-gen tech.

[video]

another close one, it's just amazing how they were able to do this.
    They are not using animation tech, they capture head as it is for each frame. (lowres video for a mesh and diffuse texture.)
    This means the actor must have accessories, hair and makeup for the photo shoot.
    -------
    Couple of nice blog posts about OpenGL.
    The Truth on OpenGL Driver Quality
    Things that drive me nuts about OpenGL

Forum Overseer
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Quote Originally Posted by jlippone View Post
    They are not using animation tech, they capture head as it is for each frame. (lowres video for a mesh and diffuse texture.)
    This means the actor must have accessories, hair and makeup for the photo shoot.
    so in other words, we'll never get there and it would be limited if we did.

Supreme Veteran
    PSN ID
    MagicManGSC
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Guerilla said they should able to double their polygons in the their next game. So that's something.

Dedicated Member
    Items PlayStation
    I didnt see anything mind blowing in that video. That Metal gear solid trailer at e3 was definitely on par. Ps4 can easily achieve this.
    PSN ID - DweetRight

Superior Member

PSN ID
    martin_blank
    My wife is a pretty good bellwether for graphics fidelity since she doesn't play many console games and isn't so jaded. Late cycle PS3 games she'd describe as "looks great" or "almost real." Launch PS4 games "really great" and "tantamount to real." She thought some gameplay I was playing in KZ SF was a cutscene. She thinks COD Ghosts looks fantastic and substantially better than the PS3 version, even though it's just a last gen port on eyeball steroids.

If I'm going to be picky, some of the particle effects, particularly in KZ SF but also in COD Ghosts, the particles are too distinct as individual particles rather than diffuse, like dust or smoke. But that's just being super picky about a few scenes. Resogun and Contrast both look great for their price and market. I still haven't played Knack or AC Black Flag or FIFA14 so can't comment on the visual impressions for those games.

I'm wondering how launch titles will stack up with XOne by perception rather than technical details. I'm not going to have games that lend themselves to comparison. I've preordered Ryse, Dead Rising 3 and Forza 5. They're all exclusive so I can't compare them to multi-platform titles. Forza 5 will look great as AAA racing games tend to look great because of the nature of the genre. Ryse and DR3 are different sorts of games than, say, KZ SF or Knack and I can't imagine a reasonable graphical comparison between platforms for those games. The closest I can get is maybe Ryse against AC Black Flag, but again, exclusive versus multi-platform and a cross-gen port at that, it won't be a valid comparison.

PSN ID
    Crazy_KiD_169
    Naughty Dog will easily surpass this you guys will see soon enough. They never fail to surpass expectation.

PSU Technical Advisor
    PSN ID
    UK-Varsh
    Items User name style
    Quote Originally Posted by crazystuff155 View Post
    Naughty Dog will easily surpass this you guys will see soon enough. They never fail to surpass expectation.
    So each character will have over a million polygons? Then each article of clothing will have over 500k polygons? I think not.

Elite Guru
    It's all about the animation and lighting that can bring a performance out like the video example. More polygons, additional texture detail can only go so far.

It's not about polygon counts anymore, we are really at the limits of the amounts of geometry that can be thrown around before it becomes a huge performance burden merely on the pixel rendering side. Tiny sub-pixel polygons mean additional precision is needed to resolve the detail. A good example (one John carmack used at Quakecon 2013), you can throw a 10 million polygon character into a 3D modelling program and these machines can run it but it looks terrible because the output can't resolve the details properly.

All the tools to deliver the grand visions are already available its just about using them properly or having the time and the skills to make it happen. Just look at the stuff Quantic Dream are doing to demonstrate that it's all about the artistry and not the technology.

Also just remember this stuff won't always mean a better game, Ryse on X1 looks amazing but I'm not going to buy that for the gameplay.

10. Likes Omar likes this post
    Superior Member
    PSN ID
    TEST SUBJECT 83
    Quote Originally Posted by Jabjabs View Post
    It's all about the animation and lighting that can bring a performance out like the video example. More polygons, additional texture detail can only go so far.
    I agree,
    contextual animations are going to be more abundant in games.
    As of now dev's are still in last gen mind set, AC:4 for example.
    it looks great! but the AI and animations could use some work.
    If AC:4 had more contextual animations it would have brought the immersion factor up ten fold.
    Let me give an example.
    In AC:4 when you walk up to a wall and look around the corner, you will start an animation that makes him look around the corner and then goes back, but once your enemy is a certain distance from you another animation starts of him getting ready to assassinate him. All done contextually, without you doing anything.
    Now thats been done in games before, nothing new.
    But, is it to much to ask Ubisoft to give NPC's contextual animations when the whether changes.
    When it starts down pouring, all the NPC's keep on doing what they were when it was sunny 2 sec ago, literally 2 sec ago. Storms start and stop on a dime in AC:4 which I find very odd and lazy IMO.
    What I would love to see, and wouldn't be hard to program, to make NPC's run for cover when it rains, and or grab fallen palm leave to use as a makeshift umbrella.
    Didn't mean to go off on this, but it is the one thing that really bugs me about AC:4.
    Other than the fact that when you press run you also jump up on anything that your allowed to be on.
    Why do they have run and get on $#@! the same button? Why not make it so if you want to jump on something, make sure it's in front of you and press x (jump)
    It would solve the issue of jumping on things you dont want to, which happens ALL the time.
    Anyways, yeah it'a all about animations and lighting, and as of now they have the lighting down, but could work on the animations a little more.

Forum Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by Sufi View Post
    so in other words, we'll never get there and it would be limited if we did.
    We get there, it's just a lot more work with other techniques.
    -------
    Couple of nice blog posts about OpenGL.
    The Truth on OpenGL Driver Quality
    Things that drive me nuts about OpenGL

PSU Technical Advisor
    PSN ID
    UK-Varsh
    Items User name style
    Quote Originally Posted by Jabjabs View Post

It's not about polygon counts anymore, we are really at the limits of the amounts of geometry that can be thrown around before it becomes a huge performance burden merely on the pixel rendering side. Tiny sub-pixel polygons mean additional precision is needed to resolve the detail. A good example (one John carmack used at Quakecon 2013), you can throw a 10 million polygon character into a 3D modelling program and these machines can run it but it looks terrible because the output can't resolve the details properly.
    Like I said before we can getting pretty much exactly the same results except for the geometry. The question in the OP was whether we can get the PS4 to do the same as in that video short, well it is yes to everything except for the geometry.

While Carmack may have shown the example to differentiate resolving a 10 million polygon character and looking bad, that's because it requires so much processing power to run smoothly, now what's in the FMV? A character with millions of polygons. Polygons still matter a lot and still bring in a lot of detail, especially now that destructive environments are cropping up in many games recently. They look very basic and have to due to processing power, when that improves then you'll see all of this become more and more realistic but there's still a very long way to go before polygons have diminishing returns.

When processing power gets to the point where you can start to have hundreds of characters on screen with at least 200k+ polygons per character will be the day when most textures will no longer be required but instead a high-res single texture and specular map will all be that's required. If you think about it when that day does come then things like tessellation won't be required either thus freeing up more processing power.

Beyond was, IMO, the best looking game of this generation on consoles and Metro: Last Light the best looking game currently on the market (PC) by miles however there is a massive geometrical difference between them and FMV and I can clearly see it.

I bet you anything that in 5 years time you'll be like "OMG I can clearly see the differences now". I've thought that every single generation since the PS2. Onimusha I thought looked stunning, looks crap now, MGS 4 (yes you read right) I thought looked amazing, it looks crap now, Killzone looks amazing now, I bet you anything in a few years time I'll be able to look through the aesthetics immediately even when not looking for them and go "aah perhaps it wasn't that good afterall" because games at a later date look so much better than it makes the older games really stand out on how they were made.

It's all tricks they use to make things look as good as possible but there's still a very very very long way to go before you can honestly say "It's not about polygon counts anymore".

I do a lot of 3D modelling myself so maybe that's why I can see the differences and the techniques used easier than others without the knowledge how but there's still an unbelievable amount of improvements to go.

Superior Member

PSN ID
    martin_blank
    Beyond on PS3 does look great and I really liked that game, but Beyond benefited greatly from substantially narrow movement and action options in gameplay. Ultimately it looked so great because really you can do so little. Which is not a knock on the game. It's how the game is designed and in my opinion doesn't suffer for it. But it makes it a lot easier to make it look a lot better than other games.

Thread Information