Latest PSU headlines:

Ultimate Veteran
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!

Man fatally shot when PS4 sale went bad

PlayStation 4 sale leaves one dead and second man injured in Florida

Emmanuel Johnson, 25, was shot and killed Sunday evening after the transaction in downtown Orlando went horribly wrong. A second man, aged 23, was hospitalized with gunshot wounds as well.

Comments (2)BY NINA GOLGOWSKI / NEW YORK DAILY NEWS

MONDAY, NOVEMBER 18, 2013, 6:30 PM

ORANGE COUNTY JAIL, ORLANDO POLI

Emmanuel Johnson, 25, was shot to death on Sunday during an arranged sale of a Playstation 4 game console in Orlando, Florida.

PlayStation 4 sales are proving to be killer.
    Less than three days after the hot gaming system went on sale in the U.S. a 25-year-old Florida man was fatally shot and a second injured with gunshot wounds during its alleged sale.
    RELATED: REVIEW: SONY'S PLAYSTATION 4
    WKMG

A 23-year-old man remained hospitalized Monday after suffering gun shot wounds during the planned transaction.

Orlando police say Emmanuel Johnson, 25, was shot and killed Sunday evening after the transaction went wrong.
    Police say a 23-year-old man, not identified, planned to meet Johnson outside downtown police headquarters at 4:30 p.m., the Orlando Sentinel reports.

RELATED: ‘CALL OF DUTY: GHOSTS’ CROSSES $1B IN SINGLE-DAY VIDEO GAME SALES RECORD
    NAM Y. HUH/ASSOCIATED PRESS

The PlayStation 4, which went on sale Friday, is selling in retail stores for around $399.99. Some systems are listed for nearly triple that amount on websites like eBay.

For a reason yet to be known by police, their location moved approximately three blocks away near a gas station and neighboring homes.
    Shots were fired, hitting both men, said police.
    RELATED: KNIFE-WIELDING MAN SHOT DEAD BY COPS IN BROOKLYN: SOURCES
    WKMG

Police recovered a PS4 gaming console, pictured, inside a 23-year-old man's vehicle.

The 23-year-old man remained hospitalized into Monday, ClickOrlando reports. His condition was unknown.
    Police don't believe there are others involved in the shooting.
    In the gaming console's first 24 hours on sale more than 1 million units were sold.
    The item, selling for around $399.99, appears sold out in most stores. Some are seen being sold on sites like eBay for nearly three times its retail price.
    ngolgowski@nydailynews.com
    On a mobile device? Watch the video here

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/national/playstation-4-sale-leaves-dead-injured-article-1.1521228

Just a friendly reminder to our community. Please don't get involved with shady face-to-face transactions over a gaming console. You just never really can tell with these things. The guy who is selling to you may even be legit, but that doesn't mean everyone will keep their cool if they see you out and about with a hot item. You also never really can tell who you are selling the thing to, if you happen to be the one selling it. Be safe, people.
    Last edited by Lefein; 11-19-2013 at 03:25.

Administrator
    PSN ID
    rokushakubo
    Awards PSU+ Patriot
    That's sad, RIP dude.

Dedicated Member
    Items Scarlett Johansson
    The PS4 is making a killing in all different kinds of ways.
    FLASHIN ON YOU

Extreme Poster
    even the article itself makes this joke? "PlayStation 4 sales are proving to be killer." come on, someone died. it is not a joke.

Power Member
    Items Gran Turismo 5Michelle MarshDoomid SoftwareCommodore 64Metal Gear Solid
    Quote Originally Posted by Sufi View Post
    even the article itself makes this joke? "PlayStation 4 sales are proving to be killer." come on, someone died. it is not a joke.
    Gutter press.

6. Likes TEST SUBJECT 83 likes this post
    Dedicated Member
    Items Scarlett Johansson
    Not funny, but I also don't know him or the whole story. maybe he got shot in self defense, maybe he was the shyster in the deal. Can't shed a tear about every unexplained unfortunate death,or you will be very dehydrated.
    FLASHIN ON YOU

Ultimate Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by kflashin View Post
    Not funny, but I also don't know him or the whole story. maybe he got shot in self defense, maybe he was the shyster in the deal. Can't shed a tear about every unexplained unfortunate death,or you will be very dehydrated.
    Totally. Just let it serve as a reminder that it's probably best just to ship the console or have it couriered.

Dedicated Member
    Items Scarlett Johansson
    What really sucks is the part about "meeting outside the downtown police station" changing. That single detail could have saved his life.
    FLASHIN ON YOU

Extreme Poster
    should not matter. i know that must sound crazy but you get to a point in life where any life wasted is not worth it.

Apprentice
    PSN ID
    chriharr
    Only in 'merica right... Seems pretty normal for you guys and gals ... Guess that's why it's called the land of opportunity.

I'm sure everyone will behave in Australia next week... Hopefully !!
    " A Toll's a toll and a roll's a roll. If we don't get no toll's, then we don't eat no roll's"

Racing Game Fanatic
    PSN ID
    gold106gti
    Items Title StyleVitaPS3 Slim
    Man that's bad, and the "PS4 sales proving to be a killer" line was a little in bad taste!
    PSN ID: gold106gti

Twitter ID: Duffman1986

My New Youtube Gaming Channel: Duffman Gaming

Legend
    PSN ID
    F34RTEHR34PER
    Items BullySteamGran Turismo 5LiverpoolAppleJoker (limited ICON)Naughty DogMaster ChiefAssassins Creed EzioGears of WarHeavy RainDiablo III
    This is why I pre-ordered.

Superior Member

PSN ID
    martin_blank
    Quote Originally Posted by keefy View Post
    Gutter press.
    If it bleeds it leads.

Superior Member

PSN ID
    martin_blank
    That's very Alaskan of you but it's also true. The Daily News is a tabloid rag in an age of 24-hour breaking news on the Internet. They try to keep up online and in print which means they report stories before there's definitive enough information to make them stories. It's common enough these days and the Daily News does it too: Report a mere framework to stay on time or ahead of everyone and then go back and fill in details and correct inaccuracies; only if you follow the entire arc of the reporting do you ultimately get the real story, if they ever print the real story.

This isn't news. But it's in the Daily News so I wouldn't expect news. Read the Daily News for sports. They have a good sports desk. Read the Post for a different but reasonable take on business news, real stuff you might not read in the Journal. Don't read Bloomberg for anything because they'll scuttle big stories to protect their core business, which is selling financial data via proprietary computer terminals and subscriptions. Read Roeper at the Chicago Trib for movie reviews. Read The New York Times and The Washington Post for news. Watch a half hour of BBC News a couple times a week to make sure the Times and the Post aren't talking out the side of their heads. Read The Atlantic every month for longer-form, deeper background reporting on stories that were big a couple months or a couple years back. Don't watch cable news because what you get pretty much on all channels is the Daily News walking and talking. Read Metacritic for clues to top new releases in entertainment media but don't take the aggregated scores seriously. Statistics -- I mean, hell, it's just an average; I'm not even sure I'd call that "statistics" -- work pretty well understanding, say, the wild mouse population in Wyoming, not so well for entertainment arts criticism.

Really, read and watch what you wish, but in more than three decades of experience trying to figure out what's going on in the world, the above is contemporarily what I find most useful.

Elite Member
    Quote Originally Posted by chriharr View Post
    Only in 'merica right... Seems pretty normal for you guys and gals ... Guess that's why it's called the land of opportunity.

I'm sure everyone will behave in Australia next week... Hopefully !!
    People will just get stabbed since your government has disarmed you. Land of the sheeple.

Apprentice
    PSN ID
    NeoTokyoOutlaw
    This is why I don't use Craigslist or other avenues for face-to-face transactions especially when high profile electronics are concerned. Not worth the risk.

18. Likes Lefein likes this post
    Superior Member

PSN ID
    martin_blank
    Quote Originally Posted by billm0066 View Post
    People will just get stabbed since your government has disarmed you. Land of the sheeple.
    I'm not sure that was a gun control comment. It was an overarching societal violence argument, but I don't think so much a purely gun control argument. So defend us based upon that, that the United States is equally or less violent than other first-world countries, rather than predicate your defense on our far more liberal firearms laws.

Legend
    PSN ID
    F34RTEHR34PER
    Items BullySteamGran Turismo 5LiverpoolAppleJoker (limited ICON)Naughty DogMaster ChiefAssassins Creed EzioGears of WarHeavy RainDiablo III
    I've used Craigslist a few times. I was always armed though. lol I guess that is kinda in line with this story eh?

Superior Member

PSN ID
    martin_blank
    Quote Originally Posted by F34R View Post
    I've used Craigslist a few times. I was always armed though. lol I guess that is kinda in line with this story eh?
    Yeah, without more information it's a tossup. A few months ago a kid my daughter grew up with was charged with murder. He stabbed a guy with a pocket knife and the guy was very unlucky, the pocket knife hit a vital blood supply, and he died in the emergency department. Very out of character for this kid. He's exceptionally mild, quiet, not aggressive. Okay so the rest of the story is two guys, casual acquaintances of his, jumped him to try and steal some marijuana from him because though he wasn't known to deal he was well known to smoke and often carry. It was late at night in a dark part of the neighborhood. One of the guys shot him with a CO2-powered pellet gun during the robbery attempt. So who's at fault? The robbers turned to run and he chased them a little ways. He didn't have to chase them. He could have stayed put and called the police. And it was only a pellet gun, but in the dark did he know it was only a pellet gun and no matter he knew or didn't know, was he reasonably afraid they'd return with more people or a real handgun or both and kill him?

What's justice here? A young man died who didn't have to die if this kid had not stabbed him. The guy didn't have to rob this kid and shoot him with a pellet gun, either. If I were prosecuting this I'd offer the kid some sort of manslaughter deal, maybe a year of monitored home confinement + 5 - 7 years of supervised probation, maybe a couple weeks time with credit for time served until he bonded out. But I'm biased. I liked the kid. I remember him for patiently teaching my four-year-old son how to skateboard while he sat out front and talked with my daughter. I remember him for ably and again patiently watching after his much younger sister. I wouldn't make a good judge of this particular case.

Superior Member
    PSN ID
    Skullomainia
    Quote Originally Posted by billm0066 View Post
    He's qualified to comment on matters concerning criminal behaviour, they are descendants of British criminals down there after all..

Superior Member

PSN ID
    martin_blank
    Quote Originally Posted by Malt View Post
    He's qualified to comment on matters concerning criminal behaviour, they are descendants of British criminals down there after all..
    Ha. Yeah they got all the sociopaths and ax thugs, didn't they? We were the colony of low credit scores and midnight lease skippers. I'm not sure that well distinguishes us, anyway, as Ted Bundy was kind of a rock star to a lot people in the States. And, yes, that sometimes does keep me up nights.

24. Likes Malt, Lefein likes this post

Thread Information