Editorial Assistant and Podcast Editor

Will Everquest Next come to the PS4 and do we have enough next-gen MMO's?

As I wrote up some EverQuest Next news for the front page I began to ponder even, if EverQuest Next does come to the PS4, will there be enough MMO's with enough variety to make me want to make the plunge into them again ?

I mean I count 7 MMO's so far

Planetside 2 - delayed now though
    DC Universe Online
    Blacklight: Retribution
    Warframe
    War Thunder
    FF - Feb 2014 ?
    Elder Scrolls - next year

( Please chime in if I missed any )

But I would love DDO, LOTRO. GW2, TSW, RIFT or even Pirates101 to make the PS4 plunge, especially if I could reactivate my PC accounts and carry on where I left off so many years ago ?

Will Blizzard or Turbine make the PS4 plunge I can only hope so

Follow me on twitter @Skaggypoet

Supreme Veteran
    PSN ID
    MagicManGSC
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    I've never gotten into an MMO, so I'm looking forward to more console Free-2-Play options.

However, I have tried a few, and my impressions have been mixed to poor so far...

WarFrame - I was really excited for this game, but I was very intimated and confused after starting it up, mainly because the game does a poor job explaining what can be purchased/achieved with in-game currency compared to real currency. It's confusing. This is a problem with Free-2-Play in general.

DC Universe Online - This is probably my best Free-2-Play experience thus far. I'm playing the PS4 version and I'm enjoying it for the most part. My only complaint is that the missions are very grindy so far. "Destroy 10 of these things", then "Kill 20 of these guys", and so on. I hope that's not how the majority of the game is.

Free Realms - I liked the cute world of this game, but this was probably my worst experience since too much of the game was locked behind a paywall. I'm not sure if I'm mistaken, but it seemed like the game forced you to pay in order to proceed in the story. Terrible payment model.

DUST 514 - This has an impressive meta game and does a good job distinguishing between in-game purchases and real purchases. However, the actual gameplay feels mediocre. Shooting a gun in this game is simply not as fun as top-notch shooters. I haven't played this game in 4 or 5 months though.

Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn - I only played the beta for this game, but it was definitely the best MMO experience I've had. I'd be playing it right now, but I don't like paying subscriptions for individual games. I don't want to feel obligated. With that said, the subscription model removes the confusing aspects of Free-2-Play games, so I can see why it's done.

As a big Tolkien fan, the MMO I'd most like to try is Lord of the Rings Online. I don't have a decent PC though, so I hope it comes to PS4 one day. Of course I'm also looking forward to Planetside 2, which seems like a safe bet to be the best console Free-2-Play MMO yet.
    Last edited by Ixion; 11-19-2013 at 15:52.

I got a hobbit burglar to mid level in LOTRO and it was good fun, loved the crafting and the getting drunk in the Shire quests, but had to choose between that and DDO and went DDO.

Apprentice
    PSN ID
    pacpunk
    I hope Everquest Next comes to PS4. I want to play it so bad, and it's so beautiful, but my gaming PC is not that great.
    Contributing Writer @ PSU | Amateur Games Journalist | Internet Media Guy

Tumblr Blogs: Josh Likes Games | Coffee and Controllers | Follow me on Twitter
    Spooky Mobley's Conspiracy Corner | Pixel Power Art

5. Likes Demi_God likes this post
    Quote Originally Posted by jmobley View Post
    i hope everquest next comes to ps4. I want to play it so bad, and it's so beautiful, but my gaming pc is not that great.
    snap

Elite Sage
    I would love to see Everquest Next on PS4 too. I'm positive it will go multiplatform (PC/PS4). I just kind of hope it would support crossplay.
    I played DCUO when it went f2p and I enjoyed it a freaking lot. I kind of want to go back but not until I get PS4. Important question thought: I already have an account and three good characters, do I have to make new account for PS4?
    Man who chase after bus get exhausted, man who run in front of bus get tired
    Man who masturbates in class has firm grip of subject at hand
    Woman who sink in man's arms soon have arms in man's sink

Administrator and PSU Technical Manager
    Items Death Note LAtlusVitaPS3 FatMetal Gear Solid 4Naughty Dog360 SlimGuerrilla GamesApple
    I've never played a MMO. But I remember a coworker, back when everquest was king, who would play all night at our office. We would walk in and see him collapsed at his desk, drooling on himself. Too bad cell phones didn't have cameras back then.
    My avatar* is dedicated to server errors where ever they roam. May they never return.
    *censoring provided by Ghost

Server Error Status Thread

9. Likes Richard616 likes this post
    Quote Originally Posted by Mael Duin View Post
    I would love to see Everquest Next on PS4 too. I'm positive it will go multiplatform (PC/PS4). I just kind of hope it would support crossplay.
    I played DCUO when it went f2p and I enjoyed it a freaking lot. I kind of want to go back but not until I get PS4. Important question thought: I already have an account and three good characters, do I have to make new account for PS4?

Should be ps3 to 4 compatibility

https://forums.station.sony.com/dcuo....157886/page-7

Apprentice
    PSN ID
    pacpunk
    Pretty sure characters and DLC are tied to your account, so all that moves over to the PS4 version.
    Contributing Writer @ PSU | Amateur Games Journalist | Internet Media Guy

Tumblr Blogs: Josh Likes Games | Coffee and Controllers | Follow me on Twitter
    Spooky Mobley's Conspiracy Corner | Pixel Power Art

Master Sage
    Items User name style
    I think it has a good chance of coming to PS4
    -Uses same engine as PlanetSide 2 (Engine is already running on PS4)
    -You will only have 8 abilities (Can easily be mapped to a controller)
    -Its a Sony product

Miqo'te Bard
    Items New User TitleProtect yourselfFull Metal AlchemistFangDark Souls CoverDemons Souls CoverBattlefield 3Title StyleUser name style
    I though the devs already said they exploring ps4 for Everest. I swear it was on psu as a news article.
    I have twitter to https://twitter.com/GamerYuichi , Also started youtube https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCMu7yRGCz8QrTyxaNVR3Tqw I don't always twitch, but when I can you can find my noobness http://www.twitch.tv/yuichimccry,

Elite Sage
    Quote Originally Posted by Jmobley View Post
    Pretty sure characters and DLC are tied to your account, so all that moves over to the PS4 version.
    Hopefully so, I bought Green Lantern DLC too for my brawler (Rotten Skeleton, good guy).
    Summoning gunship <3

Hopefully so, I bought Green Lantern DLC too for my brawler (Rotten Skeleton, good guy).
    Summoning gunship <3
    Despite my 35 years of comic book love and on off MMO relationship I never played DCUO, this will have to be rectified when my PS4 arrives.

Elite Sage
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard616 View Post
    Despite my 35 years of comic book love and on off MMO relationship I never played DCUO, this will have to be rectified when my PS4 arrives.
    It's f2p so you have nothing to lose. Character creating is awesome in this game, you can make your character look like anything you want. Sure, it has some/many grinding quests but I enjoy fighting a lot, unlike for example Secret World...
    Also pvp is fun too.
    And I have to say, that even thought I played it on PC, it felt much better with controller. We are not talking about FFXIV 1.0 failure here. It works with keyboard/mouse combination but its truly best with controller.

It's f2p so you have nothing to lose. Character creating is awesome in this game, you can make your character look like anything you want. Sure, it has some/many grinding quests but I enjoy fighting a lot, unlike for example Secret World...
    Also pvp is fun too.
    And I have to say, that even thought I played it on PC, it felt much better with controller. We are not talking about FFXIV 1.0 failure here. It works with keyboard/mouse combination but its truly best with controller.
    cheers that great to know, I played TSW as well only lasted a fortnight. Still it might do well on the PS4 due to its setting and character creation

Superior Member
    Items YunaPlayStation
    to Ixion : if I can offer you my input on DCUo (I platinumed the game), it is a MMORPG so every one has "kill 20 mobs" quests, but as you choose a mentor for good or bad, you'll have lots of missions that are story arcs askink you very different things and having specific enemies (there's an awesome boss battle angaisnts Scarecrow with Batman as mentor), and the big coop missions (at lvl 10, 14, 16, 20 and 24) have several stages leading to a massive final fight. Missions are usually voiced and given by your mentor or an important character in the DC universe, and are often find a special item or interrogate a villain or destroy an arm depot but of course there'll be bad guys to prevent that, but most of the time they are very varied (demons, robots, Joker henchmen).
    I'm never looking into trophies, but they seemed logical here : Get a character to lvl 30 for each mentor, with on using each of the movement powers, and with the special role (healer, tank, controller), do the races. It really flowed great as the story unfolds well with the mentor you choose has his favored enemies.

Superior Member
    PSN ID
    thanatos144
    No and if you give it enough time they import your old characters. Took me like 72 hours but you make a new one and play till then.

Superior Member
    PSN ID
    thanatos144
    I use to play the OG everqest LOL I hope this does come to the PS4 it looks awesome.

Super Elite
    PSN ID
    Sir_Scud
    Items Naughty DogFinal Fantasy IVDark SoulsGuerrilla Games
    With how easy it is to bring games over to PS4, I imagine many companies will try to bring their MMOs to the PS4. Games that originally take stronger gaming PCs can be achieved on a machine many people bought for games anyways. Can easily bring bigger crowds to the game. I remember when DC Universe first came out, there were A LOT more ps3 players paying for a sub than on PC.

Dedicated Member
    PSN ID
    Kamikaze_Krunch
    Items User name style
    if EQ is coming to the PS4, I probably won't have a life for 2 years. lol

PSU Editor
    PSN ID
    bizarro_thirteen
    Quote Originally Posted by thanatos144 View Post
    I use to play the OG everqest LOL I hope this does come to the PS4 it looks awesome.
    Rallos Zek til I die! I don't have any desire to get back into MMOs. FFXIV does look interesting though...

I'm just not sure how I feel about EQ Next.

Thread Information